Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTomCollins

Re: First Grow - 400w, custom hydro flood n drain, Power Skunk & Power Haze [Re: Triptonic]
    #316500 - 11/16/09 12:59 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I just need to get the closet ready that's all. I really don't feel prepared.

My plan was to switch right around the 30 veg marker. It's been 26.... so that's why I'm not really where I guess I should be.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: First Grow - 400w, custom hydro flood n drain, Power Skunk & Power Haze [Re: TomCollins]
    #316502 - 11/16/09 01:00 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Dont worry about it man, it wont do any damage to have them veg for a little longer. But I would tie them down.

OfflineTomCollins

Re: First Grow - 400w, custom hydro flood n drain, Power Skunk & Power Haze [Re: Triptonic]
    #316510 - 11/16/09 01:09 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Got it. Thanks a lot man. :smile:

--------------------
andyistic said:
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #316886 - 11/16/09 07:04 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Triptonic said:
Dont worry about it man, it wont do any damage to have them veg for a little longer. But I would tie them down.

You're missing the point here man.  I've dealt with this problem in the exact situation before and it's more of a bitch than you think to have the plants get much larger than you expect.  There's only so much tying down you can do.

The plants don't grow new branches/tops much during flowering but the spacing between the internodes will increase dramatically, and this goes for the spacing on the secondary branches as well.  They will probably get 50-75% taller but much more dense and bushier width-wise and thickness of vegetation.

I'm worried about overcrowding and lack of space, resulting in light bleaching and/burning to the plants which is serious.

I know growing them another week won't really harm them, but the results down the road could be harmful to the overall grow.  Yield is the only thing that will improve w/ longer veg. time.

Plants can be flowered from seed, although people will always tell you to wait for alternating nodes as this is the plant telling you it's sexually mature and ready to go through the flowering cycle.  I do not base my flowering on this at all, but have in the past.

The longer you wait the more branching and budsites you will get.  If you flower as a seedling the plants don't get a chance to build the normal plant structure, so there will be minimal branching and one main cola/terminal tip.

This can be a very beneficial way to grow because you conserve space (smaller pots, narrow plants) and can pack the plants together, ultimately getting a larger yield with more, smaller plants in the same grow space.

Large plants are a waste of space because the wasted time and space could be potentially used and thus a higher yield in a shorter amount of time is possible.

/rant

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Re: First Grow - 400w, custom hydro flood n drain, Power Skunk & Power Haze [Re: Inverted]
    #316890 - 11/16/09 07:07 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

My point is, is that it wont hurt to veg. like that one dude was saying. Yea his plants are going to get big. But if he can't get his lights setup like he said than there really is'nt anything he can do about it, now is there?

OfflineTomCollins

Re: First Grow - 400w, custom hydro flood n drain, Power Skunk & Power Haze [Re: Inverted]
    #316899 - 11/16/09 07:10 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Well... as a temporary solution, all I can do is tie them down. I think I'm going to install a scrog on a chain pulley system. But it's going to be a little while before I can get that in there.

I still have space to pull the light up - but not far.

--------------------
andyistic said:

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Re: First Grow - 400w, custom hydro flood n drain, Power Skunk & Power Haze [Re: TomCollins]
    #316913 - 11/16/09 07:13 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Tie them down. Look for LST techniques on here its very good.

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#316928 - 11/16/09 07:24 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Triptonic said:
My point is, is that it wont hurt to veg. like that one dude was saying. Yea his plants are going to get big. But if he can't get his lights setup like he said than there really is'nt anything he can do about it, now is there?

Uhhh yeah there is plenty he can do about it.

He can tie the shit out of them and pray that they aren't a stretchy phenotype...  He also needs to flower ASAP.

I know what i'm talking about. 

This is before flowering...

It's the bigger one of the last pic...

A couple weeks into 12/12...

Getting too large for growbox...

This is after...

You get the point yet...

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#316931 - 11/16/09 07:25 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

It was about 5-6 inches tall, tied down when flowering began,

After she finished, I measured her at about 22 inches tall... They can really stretch on you during the flowering cycle, you just need to understand this.

--------------------

OfflineTomCollins

#316934 - 11/16/09 07:28 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I understand. I'm on it. :thumbup:

--------------------
andyistic said:

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#316950 - 11/16/09 07:53 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Inverted you didnt read all of my posts did you? I told him to tie it down earlier. In fact I dont think you read his posts either about him not being able to flower for a little while.

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Loc: CANADA
    #316975 - 11/16/09 08:42 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Yes but inverted posted pics, and they were worth it. 

LST begins at 7 inch for me in 10 inch pot and I fully expect 30 inch canopy before I finish.  And that might even be a low estimate.

Spency's grow is like a good drama show really though.  This week's episode is called: "Honey, I shrunk the closet!"

--------------------
"I never post unless high.  Well that does explain a lot then."

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do

Current Grow Journal

OfflineTomCollins

Re: First Grow - 400w, custom hydro flood n drain, Power Skunk & Power Haze [Re: Azyle00]
    #316981 - 11/16/09 08:47 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Azyle00 said:
Spency's grow is like a good drama show really though.  This week's episode is called: "Honey, I shrunk the closet!"

:oogle::crying:

--------------------
andyistic said:

OfflineCrusty Ass Bastard
Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #317026 - 11/16/09 10:09 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

You seem to be taking good advice (atleast by Inverted and I) as some kind of slight against your techniques. I'm just an experienced grower offering advice on how to best salvage a harvest.

Quote:

Spency said:
I disagree. In fact, I think this is the worst advice you could give someone this far into vegetation. This is a great method very early into vegetation, and I'm very excited to do this in my next grow; however, the stress could fuck the plants up at this point. Not only that, but your telling me to top them and then switch to 12/12. Sorry, that sounds like a bad idea to me

These plants were topped 35 days ago, the same day they entered 12/12. See how the lower branches are thick and strong and almost reached the canopy? Stress is not a word these plants are familiar with. This is just a real example, not hypothesis, mind you.

I'm not advocating that everyone top their plants, just to be clear. I'm suggesting that those who overveg, as you have done, have no reason not to. You can only tie down so much, but do what you will and learn as you go. Feel like I have to be a dick just to hammer home good advice, but yeah.

--------------------
|

Skunk Train (Most Recent) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed)
Cinnibis Rolls | Indoor Peppers

"The secret of improved plant breeding, apart from scientific knowledge, is love." -Luther Burbank

Edited by Crusty Ass Bastard (11/16/09 10:10 PM)

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Re: First Grow - 400w, custom hydro flood n drain, Power Skunk & Power Haze [Re: Crusty Ass Bastard]
    #317029 - 11/16/09 10:18 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

:thumbup:

Well said.  How old and tall were those plants when you flipped them?  Nice grow Dr.!

--------------------

OfflineOjom
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #317071 - 11/16/09 11:57 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Spency said:
Dude, that cool tube thing looks awesome! Oh man, I wish I could go buy it tommorrow... as soon as my new vent system is built, that is the first thing I'm buying. :smile:

That's quoted from a different thread, but I didn't want to muddy up someone else's grow journal commenting about yours. Just keep in mind when you're doing your current ventilation system that the cooltube will need its own fan as well as its own intake and exhaust. You could consider an all in one ventilation system where air from the growspace is pulled through the cooltube and exhausted outside the grow area. That isn't necessarily the ideal configuration, but it could be effective with a large enough fan.

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Re: First Grow - 400w, custom hydro flood n drain, Power Skunk & Power Haze [Re: Crusty Ass Bastard]
    #317112 - 11/17/09 04:59 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Dude, You like drama dont you. Spency go here http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/239250#239250 Decide what you want to do from there. It shows proper topping procedures and low stress training and a whole bunch of other things. Decide what you want to do from the guides.

OfflineTomCollins

#317117 - 11/17/09 06:13 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

206 said:
You seem to be taking good advice (atleast by Inverted and I) as some kind of slight against your techniques. I'm just an experienced grower offering advice on how to best salvage a harvest.

No I agree with all of you in regards to the fact that I need to start flowering asap. Different people have offered me multiple solutions to the issue of growth and I honestly feel for some one as inexperienced as me, topping is bad advice. I can see that it works, I'm just really afraid of doing it. I want to try an alternative method first. 

I'm sorry for attacking you earlier. Everything I've ever read about growing says even pruning this far into veg is just waay too much stress for the plants - that's why I disagreed with you. I stand corrected however, the method seems to work! However, these plants have gone through a lot - I'm lucky as fuck to be looking at what I'm looking at and for them to be females. I'm just very nervous about topping and feel very uncomfortable doing it right now. I can see you genuinely gave me good advice, but I want to go with an alternative method for the time being.

Quote:

206 said:
These plants were topped 35 days ago, the same day they entered 12/12. See how the lower branches are thick and strong and almost reached the canopy? Stress is not a word these plants are familiar with. This is just a real example, not hypothesis, mind you.

I'm not advocating that everyone top their plants, just to be clear. I'm suggesting that those who overveg, as you have done, have no reason not to. You can only tie down so much, but do what you will and learn as you go. Feel like I have to be a dick just to hammer home good advice, but yeah.

Like I said, I just need to prepare my closet. Thank you for your advice, and I'm very impressed with that plant! I thought you were full of crap, but now I stand corrected sir. :smile:

However, several different methods as to how to solve my problem have been given to me. I think I'm going to implement a scrog. I still feel topping is a bit risky, only because some of the plants haven't even shown their sex yet and the grow is only 26 days old. Everything I've read says even pruning might be too stressful this far into growth. I want to do everything right, but I feel topping is something my inexperienced hands are just not prepared to do at this point.

Like I said, I can't wait to do it in my next grow. I think this scrog thing will be a good solution to the problem though. I suppose we'll only know when I install it. I just need a few more days until I get paid, that's all.

Also, like I said: One of the plants was actually topped a few weeks ago. I'm only having issues with two of my plants in height. I think I can manage tying down for the time being.

Quote:

Ojom said:
Quote:

Spency said:
Dude, that cool tube thing looks awesome! Oh man, I wish I could go buy it tommorrow... as soon as my new vent system is built, that is the first thing I'm buying. :smile:

That's quoted from a different thread, but I didn't want to muddy up someone else's grow journal commenting about yours. Just keep in mind when you're doing your current ventilation system that the cooltube will need its own fan as well as its own intake and exhaust. You could consider an all in one ventilation system where air from the growspace is pulled through the cooltube and exhausted outside the grow area. That isn't necessarily the ideal configuration, but it could be effective with a large enough fan.

The cool tube is actually very far down the road now... as now I want to install a scrog on a chain and pulley system, then my closet ventilation, some more PH stuff and of course I need to eat too. :undecided:

--------------------
andyistic said:

Edited by TomCollins (11/17/09 06:36 AM)

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#317138 - 11/17/09 08:25 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Well raising and lowering the scrog screen is defeating the point of the scrog...

You want that stationary so that the plants are forced to branch beneath, with only the tops sticking through so that everything is at one level.  This can also be achieved with careful and skilled tying down techniques.  As 206 said, you can get the hormones to transfer to the lower branches, thus stopping vertical growth and allowing the lower branches to become rather large and match the main top in height and cola size.  Yields will be higher when done properly as well.

You are doing great!  Just flower when you can it's no rush, and don't feel like you have to put a bunch of money into your grow.  I've had successful grows with absolutely 0$ before.  Just using stuff I already have.

--------------------

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#317140 - 11/17/09 08:29 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

:facepalm: Inverted thats what I have been telling him all along yet you continue to disagree and fight with me.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies