Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemarrbellade
Stranger

spider living among plants............cool?
    #307983 - 11/01/09 08:50 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

hey i got this spyder living among my plants, it dosn t seem to be hurting anything although it makes webb.............i cant see any pest presence either in person or in damage/symptoms..............
what do you think is it cool or should i move her outside?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDesertSolitaire
Male

Loc: Colorado Plateau
Re: spider living among plants............cool? [Re: marrbellade]
    #307985 - 11/01/09 08:52 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i always let spiders chill on my jalapeno plants but ive never seen em on my cannabis plants...i would always check on them to make sure they eat those fucking little aphids

--------------------
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: spider living among plants............cool? [Re: DesertSolitaire]
    #307987 - 11/01/09 08:57 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Spiders eat little insects

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Loc: CANADA
Re: spider living among plants............cool? [Re: mhbound]
    #307996 - 11/01/09 09:22 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Predator spiders are one of the best guardians of the grow room/garden.  You need to monitor them however and make sure they are not messing anything up (laying too many eggs etc).  They will not harm your plants for the most part.  They typically are web makers or pure hunter killers.  Both types are valid, but hunter killers, unless very small, wander a lot and usually end up anywhere and everywhere but your plants...still they kill a lot of indoor bugs and if they discover your plants are a good hunting grounds, they will return to it often.  Web making spiders are the best as they will make your grow area into their home.  They also eat all the bugs you do not want.  I use them aggresively in my outdoor, non-pot gardens and swear by them as being the best pest control you can get.  I have the same web making ones dwell in my planters and gardens for the entire season, watching some grow from very small into monsters by the end of summer.  I dont even like flowers but I grow them to attract the bugs to feed my spiders who make beautiful webs and are the coolest non-domestic outdoor pet you can ever "own" imho.

Have been wanting to allow a mantis or two to live in my indoor grow room to make sure I never have pest issues, also it would be quite cool.  If no pests are present for them to eat, they will starve or you can pop some prey in that won't mess with the plants for them to feed on.  The pure presence of a few mantis will likely mean you never have a spider mite or aphid problem.  Yes you might have *some* but they will keep them in check so the plants hardly suffer or notice.  Mantis babies are even cooler and are extremely agressive VS mites and aphids.  They are smaller of course and you usually hatch 50-250 of them.  They will eat the living crap out of every insect in the grow room, then each other.  The result will be a pest free grow room and 2-5 Mantis Adults later down the road...who will breed and then hatch yet another set of babies...cycle continues and you can see where it goes...no pests eating your weed.

If your grow room is totally enclosed like mine, hunter killer spiders are quite acceptable, they cannot escape the target zone, but may become quite ravenous if you have no pests at all present.

Ladybugs and "predator" spider mites are also good choices but come with some problems of their own and may not work for a lot of people depending on the grow room setup.  I prefer guardians myself over the horde.  Ladybugs tend to kill themselves on HID lights...release at night and hope for the best.

Coolest predator towards Aphids...ants.  Ants love the sweet nectar that the aphids excrete.  Theory suggests it gets them high or causes addiction or something because they have no taste, but choose aphid nectar as a favourite source of food.  Unbelievable as it is, but they have been known to kidnap aphids, carry them back to the colony and hold them as prisoners/slaves for the nectar, to basically milk them for juice...until they die.  Not controllable in any way and you should never think to fight your aphids with ants.  However, if you find outdoor planters that ants are going nuts to get access too and always running back and forth from it, check closely, they are harvesting aphids...ahahahah...so creepy really, I love it.

--------------------
"I never post unless high.  Well that does explain a lot then."

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do

Current Grow Journal

Offlineazshroomer
Medical Marijuana Cultivator

Loc: Nor-Cal
Re: spider living among plants............cool? [Re: Azyle00]
    #309175 - 11/03/09 02:30 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

lol thats an awesome post Azyle

--------------------
Check out my Grow The Growery teks!
:gethigh: Building Your Grow Room:gethigh:
:gethigh: Make Your Own Aeroponic Cloner:gethigh:
:gethigh: Make Your Own Aeroponic Veg System:gethigh:
:gethigh: Make Your Own True Grow Room:gethigh:
:gethigh: Make Your Own Aeroponic Flower System (COMING SOON):gethigh:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds