Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
Re: Well, its official [Re: Data]
    #825900 - 05/14/17 07:10 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Nice job man. Best of luck!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
Re: Well, its official [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #825952 - 05/19/17 12:58 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

I'm still trying to figure out my life as a graduate. So much of me wants to just go out and do things in the world I feel needs done, but so much of me thinks i need to push further... I'm not sure what the point pushing further is. It's like I'm in a pissing contest with people I should just ignore.

I'm more at a point in my life where I know I have the background education I feel my mind needed to find it's true path, than I am to start running my next stress gauntlet.

I'm kind of scared because I would have to take the Chem section of the GRE, and my knowledge of Physical and Inorganic branches are less than ideal. On the up side my quantum physics course was supplemental to physical chemistry course, and my course in Mineralogy/Crystallography seems to be in the introductory chapters of the Inorganic textbook i bought.

Recently been surrounded by too much death, such as we all go through from times. Odder still to think of how many other friends don't even get to know how far I have or haven't gotten.

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

Invisibledirtyneedle
JB
Female User Gallery

Loc: San Francisco
Re: Well, its official [Re: Thebooedocksaint]
    #826022 - 05/24/17 12:37 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

im so bored that i cant sit in class and the only way in the paster was authentic risperdal and benzos :P

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: Well, its official [Re: dirtyneedle] * 1
    #826595 - 06/21/17 12:35 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Well, I simultaneously got a job offer out near Ft. Collins and got into graduate school back on the East Coast.

It was a crappy decision to have to make, but I decided that my masters is currently the best path to take. So I'll be starting classes here in about 6 weeks :pipesmoke:

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

Edited by Data (06/21/17 12:35 PM)

OfflineSham87
マリオ
Male

#826598 - 06/21/17 01:19 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

YEEE GREAT CHOICE BUD, smoking a bowl for ya :cheers:

--------------------
...once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Re: Well, its official [Re: Sham87]
    #826929 - 07/01/17 01:10 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Yeeyee
I've always wondered, what's the significance of an engineer getting a graduate degree? Is it much like the other sciences where you're going up in the level of responsibilities , BS's working the research group, Master/PHD moving on to lead one or more research groups? Never really took the time to ask any of my engi friends this question.

Gratz either way. Is the program mostly academic, or more practical/Grad Thesis requirement?

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: Well, its official [Re: Thebooedocksaint]
    #827684 - 07/27/17 01:50 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Lawdy, just paid for my first semester  :blowmybrainsout:

Quote:

Thebooedocksaint said:
Yeeyee
I've always wondered, what's the significance of an engineer getting a graduate degree? Is it much like the other sciences where you're going up in the level of responsibilities , BS's working the research group, Master/PHD moving on to lead one or more research groups? Never really took the time to ask any of my engi friends this question.

Gratz either way. Is the program mostly academic, or more practical/Grad Thesis requirement?

Sorry, completely missed this.

I think if you stay in the same general concentration, getting a Master's increases your understanding of theory, and how said theory is applied in industry. For me, I'm trying to steer my career towards a more electromechanical/controls kind of concentration, which will ultimately change the scope of my career to include more automation, control systems, robotics, etc. The master's does require a thesis.

Basically, I'm trying to get out of the stereotypical jobs of the modern mechanical engineer, but also not get pidgeon-holed into a solely electrical or software engineering career either...because I like a little of everything. If I focus on anything for too long, I get bored and lose interest. :shrug:

On the off-chance that I get roped into a PhD program after my master's, that's when engineers start getting involved in cutting edge research, but from what I hear, university research in engineering is more like R&D. Its like we design and prototype several iterations of a novel sensor, actuator, impeller, etc. based on the theory and empirical data unlocked by our colleagues over in what I like to call the "pure sciences". We also figure out alternative methods of manufacture for stuff like micro/nano components.  We then provide manufacturing and performance data, and suggest possible future R&D paths for said design. Its almost like we research novel ways to apply the actual research being done in the pure sciences, and a lot of times you'll see the engineering departments pairing up with some of the researchers in the pure sciences to collaborate.

To be perfectly honest, I probably would have been much happier in a pure science than in engineering. But I like to tinker and build things, and also the pay seems to be better if you slap an "engineering" on the end of a degree, so I went for that instead :shrug:

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#827694 - 07/27/17 08:20 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Data said:
To be perfectly honest, I probably would have been much happier in a pure science than in engineering. But I like to tinker and build things, and also the pay seems to be better if you slap an "engineering" on the end of a degree, so I went for that instead :shrug:

I think it's a grass is always greener kind of think. I tend to think the same with engineering.  I probably wouldn't have as much fun an engineer, would probably have enjoyed sticking to a single discipline and just going straight through a PhD in the time it took to get my undergrad.

But I've always been interested in school for the chance to learn things that were awe inspiring, and physics and geology (specifically mineralogy) gave me interesting new ways to think about chemistry. Before mineralogy I never took the time to think about the fact the formation of minerals always starts from nucleation from a single little atom (or group of atoms). In my head I always thought precipitates just fell out of solution like a magic or something... or i just wasn't thinking about of it. Having a course on quantum mechanics made my understanding of physical chemistry increase somewhat, and I gained a conceptual understanding and derivation of what quantum numbers means. When you're in chemistry 2 quantum numbers just get dropped on you you're just like "wtf is n, l, m, and s." In physical chem we talked some about this, but we got hung up on thermodynamics for awhile.

Good luck with grad school!I'm sure you're as aware as me that a lot of people in our fields aren't really enthralled by our fields, but are just chasing the jobs (and forget their courses right after they're done memorizing). So I'm sure you've got this.:thumbup:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom