Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Help led or hid or both? [Re: SevenFingers]
    #800560 - 12/06/15 03:04 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

I started with blackstar fixtures and not a very big fan of them. They have changed their design a bit to look more like the Growblu/Kind but I'm not going to risk my money on a brand I've already learned was cheap shit.

I had a growblu and got rid of it mostly from diode failure (14 of the 16 of the round pods had one or two diodes burn out) and to upgrade to Advanced LED's XML 650.

If its a growblu/kind clone you should do alright, but not the absolute best. If its anything like they used to make a few years ago then its crap.

2011: Paid #300 for a light, one year later it goes off warranty and half burned out--the store said "sounds like you got a good run out of it.. new light board is only $75..."

Basically they were trying to tell me it would cost me $75/year to keep it running after the $300 for the first year. Then when I went to get a couple of them for other lights they stopped selling them.

MY personally opinion is that they're a low end, entry level (aka they sell you crap cause you didn't want to invest)

HOLY SHIT! I just looked at the prices of those lights. FUCK both of those if your spending over $1000

I haven't heard much about truth but this fixture has a few clones out there. I see it as an up and coming generic.

Get an XML650 with a lifetime warranty if your spending that much.  the xml350 is not as diode rich as the 650 and not as practical for the $.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSevenFingers
Yamabushi
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Help led or hid or both? [Re: phychotron]
    #800566 - 12/06/15 04:01 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
If its a growblu/kind clone you should do alright, but not the absolute best. If its anything like they used to make a few years ago then its crap.

HOLY SHIT! I just looked at the prices of those lights. FUCK both of those if your spending over $1000

Get an XML650 with a lifetime warranty if your spending that much.

I was looking at the Kind brand, in fact was my first choice as money is not too huge a factor. However, I sent the company some emails over a week ago and no response. So based on customer service I am reluctant to go with them.

It`s hard to sift through all the BS surrounding LED lighting.

Truth has a 6 year comprehensive warranty which covers the entire 50,000 hour lifespan of the diodes, compared to Advanced LED 3 year warranty, so that`s a huge selling factor for me.

Thanks for the feedback psychotron.

Seriously considering the XML650 now, despite the cost increase.

--------------------
Stay High, Stay Safe.

Edited by SevenFingers (12/06/15 04:15 PM)

OfflineSevenFingers
Yamabushi
 User Gallery

#800567 - 12/06/15 04:27 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

:mad:

--------------------
Stay High, Stay Safe.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #800574 - 12/06/15 05:41 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

The 50,000 hours of the diodes is like 23 years at 12/12. Advanced offers a lifetime warranty on the XML, they said for as long as they are in business they will send replacement parts.

Also, if you call or email them you'll get a much better deal. I paid $1435 for the 650 delivered.

Sucks to be in Canada. Try calling them and see whats up

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineSevenFingers
Yamabushi
 User Gallery

#800575 - 12/06/15 05:52 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
The 50,000 hours of the diodes is like 23 years at 12/12. Advanced offers a lifetime warranty on the XML, they said for as long as they are in business they will send replacement parts.

Also, if you call or email them you'll get a much better deal. I paid $1435 for the 650 delivered.

Sucks to be in Canada. Try calling them and see whats up

Yeah I'll be following up tomorrow during business hours.

Also, Kind K5 XL750 is easily available at my local shop. Why should I choose XML 650 over K5 XL750?

--------------------
Stay High, Stay Safe.

Edited by SevenFingers (12/06/15 06:05 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #800608 - 12/07/15 07:05 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

http://advancedledlights.com/xml-350-vs-kind-l600/

The spectrum is more matched to the PAR curve. Also if you notice the PAR readings are over 1000 under the light at 18 inches in the center four squares, whereas kind is 443-875. You want around 7-900 to flower cannabis well. I guess the solution is just to put the Kind closer to the plants to get them in the more intense light, but then your sacrificing area coverage because the plants need to be directly under it. This is more important when you run multiple fixtures and the light in between them overlaps.

I've never used a Kind LED, but I don't like that fixture because its not modular, and that's one expensive light to invest in. For not being modular your going to hate having to repair it should anything go wrong. Gotta send it back to them so their electrician can work on it, then ship it back to you. Hopefully its not inconvenient to not have your light for 1-3 weeks.

one guy just started a grow log at icmag this week with that light.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #801555 - 12/16/15 01:01 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

drrr

--------------------

Edited by phychotron (12/16/15 01:03 PM)

OfflineShroomingChaos
Connoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Southeast US
    #801901 - 12/20/15 12:20 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Phychotron what would you say is the best starter LED?  I want to run LED for my clones and possibly my veg room.  I need to save on power.  I have been looking heavily into the Induction Grow lights that HTG has though.  I run anywhere from 2-3 cloning buckets with 8 plants per bucket and in my veg room I usually keep 16 in a 5x5 space under a 1k MH or HPS light currently.

Offlineashfiken
im home
Male User Gallery
Re: Help led or hid or both? [Re: ShroomingChaos]
    #801917 - 12/20/15 03:01 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

He pushes the advanced diamond series I believe, although you would have to specify "beginner" needs

Cheers

--------------------
Hmmm

I'm from shroomery

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #801938 - 12/20/15 07:30 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

A 5x5 is one of the hardest sized area to cover. I'm looking at the Advanced LED's veg lights, but they only have 200 (130w) and 300 (330w) models, covering 3x3 and 4x4 respectively (core coverage, if your serious about growth, which you should be if your spending that much. You'd want 4 of the 200's and it'd be more than enough for a 5x5, it cover for a 6x6 (36sq-ft) area. Best option probably for veg lights, but expensive at $469 each (4 for $1876). I'm not sure why the wattage of the 200 is 130 and 200 is 330,it might be a site error, but only 50% more lights and over two times the wattage increase.

The 300w covers an odd area, you'd want to get two, maybe three, but overall is not built for a square area. I emailed them awhile ago and asked them if they could build a square fixture, guess they haven't got around to it. Two might be fine, but I've never used their veg lights so its hard to say. $795 each (2 for $1590)

With that though, your limited to only vegging. I'd say you'd be able to get the best of LED's by getting a flower light, such as a few of the XTE series, or the XML650. XTE might not be the best way to fill a 5x5 either.

I just got an XML650 for $1435 delivered. The light is the best option for flowering and vegging. I'd say the four 200 veg lights might be a little better just to spread the light out more evenly, but the 650 is a powerful light and will veg no problem. The thing even has dimmers on both the colors and the white so you can adjust it or lower the wattage. That alone is pretty sweet. Instead of having to raise or lower the lights you could just crank down the knob. It also has a lifetime warranty. They told me in an email when I questioned them about it (@12/12 its 23+yrs if you go by the 50,000 hours on the diodes) that they would send me parts as to fix it for as long as they are in business.

I've tried other brands, Advanced LED actively works to develop their lights to grow plants with. They're not just randomly throwing in colored diodes and calling it good, or reselling some cheap chinese fixture, they test different diodes and spectrum combinations with a spectrometer and par meter to dial into the plants needs. I had a GrowBlu fixture that was good, I sold it after 90% of the modules had one or two diodes burn out within the first year. I fixed it with the new parts they sent me before I sold it six months ago, now their website is down, I suspect for good if the one guy who was "designing" the lights couldn't keep up with that much warranty cost... If EVERY light had an issue it'd probably put him out of business real quick.

--------------------

OfflineShroomingChaos
Connoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Southeast US
Re: Help led or hid or both? [Re: ashfiken]
    #801981 - 12/21/15 03:05 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ashfiken said:
He pushes the advanced diamond series I believe, although you would have to specify "beginner" needs

Cheers

I specified my "beginner" needs so maybe you should read my post before replying. 

Thanks Phychotron for all of your advice.  What about for cloning?  Im not going to be able to afford that many LEDs to cover my 5x5 veg room.  Its way out of my budget right now lol

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #801988 - 12/21/15 04:55 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

you mean a "waste my money" light? You can pick those cheap fixtures up anywhere...

--------------------

OfflineGoonerHeClips
Stranger

#802241 - 12/27/15 07:57 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
you mean a "waste my money" light? You can pick those cheap fixtures up anywhere...

How would you say LED lights compare to T5 lights for veg in terms of performance vs. price?  Seems a huge jump in price but they last longer than T5 lights or grow plants that much better?

Or would you suggest someone continue with the T5 lights in veg and use LED lights in flowering?  Is the improvement with heat and PAR or whatever along with longevity "worth it" to start buying LED lights for flower?  This assumes one has some coin to spend on the lights as a long term investment.

Are LED light prices starting to drop?  Will the folks who buy now be like the TV buyers who constantly regret the ever dropping prices for ever better products?

How much $$ would the LED lights for flower cost to replace an HPS 1000 watt ballast/light combination?

Offlineashfiken
im home
Male User Gallery
Re: Help led or hid or both? [Re: GoonerHeClips]
    #802258 - 12/27/15 01:23 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Depends on brand/quality as far as replacing a 1000w, but I think the diamond series by advanced have something they offer as an equivalent and I believe it's 2000 and change. So quite pricey. But these are super nice LEDs. And from what I understand most people/LEDs use one light to both veg and flower, with a change in spectrum switch, so that is something to think about bc it's basically two lights in one. As far as the price line goes, I'd say you are accurate. The tech will get honed in prices will drop while leds take ova!!!!

Cheers

--------------------
Hmmm

I'm from shroomery

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Help led or hid or both? [Re: ashfiken]
    #802263 - 12/27/15 02:33 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

a 1000w replacement is not as straightforward with LED. The idea with LED is that you spread the lights out, so you don't just have a single point light source as with HPS.

T5 work amaazing in veg when you can get them really close to the plants. To get an LED specifically to veg is the last thing I did. I focused on flowering lights and eventually had enough to throw some of the flower lights into veg as they got replaced. LED work amazing in veg but its up to you if you want to spend the money to get off the dependence of having to replace the T5 bulbs. 

When a cheap ass company says they have a 400w equivalent with 150w of LED they're referring to vegetative growth. But even then there is difference in area coverage, so that the 400 will cover a larger area, but not be as efficient. So it might take two of those 150w fixtures to spread the light evenly enough out to see the benefits of it. 

The price of the high end TV's doesn't change, just the technology. In the LED market I doubt you'll see the aging technology drop in price, but rather just disappear altogether. Basically they'll just upgrade the lights with the newest chips and continue to charge a premium for it. The low end market will get better in that they will start using the quality diodes that the good manufactures are using now.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder