Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

Loc: Babylon
Re: For Soil Growers, WTF to do with water runoff?????? [Re: Magash]
    #709552 - 01/23/14 10:18 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Quote:

TribalSeed said:
Quote:

Tank333 said:
Quote:

Watering a flowering 5 gal. bucket gradually or lifting it up to put in a Rubbermaid is impossible later in flowering as I'd end up with broken branches and falling buds. Not to mention the time involved. I came up with this method out of necessity to save time watering. It's so easy to just mix a jug and be able to pour in as fast as you can and walk away. When you go larger and start getting overwhelmed by the plants keep this in mind. Personally, if I could drain the floor I'd use holes.

This right here is one of the biggest reasons I do hydro rather than soil. In a room that's packed wall-to-wall with flowering plants, you can't always reach everything. In hydro, everything always gets watered (provided no pump or controller failures) perfectly evenly and you have complete control of the entire system from one point (the main rez).

That's what is making hydro really attractive to me, but I am still a n00b to the growing experience so I went for soil because of the forgiveness that soil gives. I thought about doing a little Rubbermaid 4 or 6 site hydro setup just to get a feel for it and see if its the route I want to take later on, but for now I gotta stick with the dirt.lol.

It's a myth that beginners shouldn't do hydro.

Remember with hydro there is complete control. Find a problem and it's taken care of in minutes rather then flushing the shit out of a bunch of soil pots. Watering, ph control, nutrient strength to the plants, all easier to do with hydro. Last as long as everything is on timers and dialed in you can leave for days without needing a person to check the plants. :wink:

:wink:

That sounds really attractive. Me and my wife are celebrating our 8th anniversary this April 20th (yeah we got married on 4/20 on purpose.lol) and we were wanting to go out of town for about a week, but have been thinking about calling it off since we don't have a "caretaker". We could keep something going if we learned some hydro techniques.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #709553 - 01/23/14 10:19 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Quote:

TribalSeed said:
Quote:

Tank333 said:
Quote:

Watering a flowering 5 gal. bucket gradually or lifting it up to put in a Rubbermaid is impossible later in flowering as I'd end up with broken branches and falling buds. Not to mention the time involved. I came up with this method out of necessity to save time watering. It's so easy to just mix a jug and be able to pour in as fast as you can and walk away. When you go larger and start getting overwhelmed by the plants keep this in mind. Personally, if I could drain the floor I'd use holes.

This right here is one of the biggest reasons I do hydro rather than soil. In a room that's packed wall-to-wall with flowering plants, you can't always reach everything. In hydro, everything always gets watered (provided no pump or controller failures) perfectly evenly and you have complete control of the entire system from one point (the main rez).

That's what is making hydro really attractive to me, but I am still a n00b to the growing experience so I went for soil because of the forgiveness that soil gives. I thought about doing a little Rubbermaid 4 or 6 site hydro setup just to get a feel for it and see if its the route I want to take later on, but for now I gotta stick with the dirt.lol.

It's a myth that beginners shouldn't do hydro.

Remember with hydro there is complete control. Find a problem and it's taken care of in minutes rather then flushing the shit out of a bunch of soil pots. Watering, ph control, nutrient strength to the plants, all easier to do with hydro. Last as long as everything is on timers and dialed in you can leave for days without needing a person to check the plants. :wink:

:wink:

Magash, you totally just explained my favorite reason why I love hydro. I like having that complete control... Maybe it's some sort of "god complex", I feel I have to be the one who determines how well they live or die... lol

So why do you do soil instead of hydro, Magash?

And yea, I can usually go three our four days without checking if need be. They grow better when I'm adjusting the PH on a daily basis though... Gotta get that good swing from low to high to get all the right nutes to uptake.

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlineothyem
Male
Re: For Soil Growers, WTF to do with water runoff?????? [Re: Tank333] * 1
    #709561 - 01/23/14 10:43 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I shop-vac my drip trays then dump it outside.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: For Soil Growers, WTF to do with water runoff?????? [Re: Tank333]
    #709578 - 01/24/14 03:59 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

So why do you do soil instead of hydro, Magash?

What? I stopped using soil back in 2008. I've always gone back and fourth but my main gardens are hydro. I use the Multi-Flow system in all of them.

Then back in the day there was this system. Wood, plastic liner, dixie cups filled with lava rock that you use in front yards.

Hydro or soil I love growing both ways but if I had to choose one hydro all the way.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleP-O

#709601 - 01/24/14 09:56 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Im looking for EASY hydro/Aro set up..... Shit i can build at home (Im pretty handy)... any links or tips ?

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: For Soil Growers, WTF to do with water runoff?????? [Re: P-O]
    #709618 - 01/24/14 11:12 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

P-O said:
Im looking for EASY hydro/Aro set up..... Shit i can build at home (Im pretty handy)... any links or tips ?

Dude, I would make yourself a DIY RDWC. Go to Lowes or Home DePot and get a large Yellow lidded Tuff box. They're like $12 each. You can put two sites on each. For the growsites, take a 5-gallon bucket and cut off the bottom 8" or so. Put two of these on each lid (just cut out a hole for each one and the bucket's ribbing holds it on top of the lid), and you have an easy universal top for your setup. You can tie multiples of these bins together with 1" bulkheads and black tubing to make a large system, or just use two in a 4x4 tent. You'll need a headbucket and a good-sized pump, but they're a really good system... Let me see if I can find the tek I'm gonna be using to build one in another month or so...

--------------------
My best run so far

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

Re: For Soil Growers, WTF to do with water runoff?????? [Re: othyem]
    #709628 - 01/24/14 11:46 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

othyem said:
I shop-vac my drip trays then dump it outside.

I thought about buying a little shopvac and going that route. I honestly love the time I get with the plants. I feel guilty at times though because sometimes I am in the garden for like 3 to 4 hours while the kids are up and playing. If I stay up late then it doesn't matter cause they are all asleep, but damn it sucks waking up at 7am the next morning doing the whole routine.lol.

The hydro thing has kinda scared me because of the monetary needs of a hydro garden. Guys at the grow shop show me meters and shit that are like 2 to 3 hundred bucks. Also I am colorblind so I have to have my wife read the GenHydro PH tester we got. I have a digital one on the way that I ordered to help out with the PH so I don't have to ask her every time I water.lol.

Is hydro a more expensive route of growing? I know you gotta keep buying bags of soil if you go with dirt. Or is the hydro thing a one time expense and then your good? I think I am making this all harder than it needs to be, but I want the most cost effective way and I can't play with my money ya know. lol. I'm sure you guys cant either.
I guess I will never know unless I just buy/build one and try it out.
:shrug:

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: For Soil Growers, WTF to do with water runoff?????? [Re: TribalSeed] * 1
    #709641 - 01/24/14 12:04 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/

if you want to be a killer soil grower you need the same meters as hydro. Nutrient strength and ph are just as important.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#709711 - 01/24/14 03:40 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

That's fucking slick, Magash! What do you use on top of the 2-liter bottles? Will a 3" net pot sit on there well?

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: For Soil Growers, WTF to do with water runoff?????? [Re: Tank333]
    #709728 - 01/24/14 05:23 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Tank333 said:
That's fucking slick, Magash! What do you use on top of the 2-liter bottles? Will a 3" net pot sit on there well?

When I made it I used it as a flood and drain. I filled the bottles with geolite. I put a little piece of screen in the bottom of the bottles to keep the roots from plugging them but it was never a issue. I don't think the screen was needed.

--------------------

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

#709784 - 01/24/14 10:26 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:

http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/

if you want to be a killer soil grower you need the same meters as hydro. Nutrient strength and ph are just as important.

Dude Thank you so much Mag! That's just killer. For real. I've already got a PPM meter. Would that be about like a EC meter or would I wanna invest in a solid EC meter?

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: For Soil Growers, WTF to do with water runoff?????? [Re: TribalSeed]
    #709792 - 01/24/14 11:35 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

If you already have a PPM, there's no need for EC

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #709859 - 01/25/14 05:08 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Hey Dr GreenThumb when you did this

Quote:

After reading The organic myth. by Magash, it got me on a crusade to debunk a lot of well ingrained growing practices.

Weren't you amazed by the amount of bullshit that is out-there and thought of as the right way to do things?

I could write a book just on the bullshit alone. :facepalm:

I can go on for days about all the false ideas, methods and sales gimmicks surrounding and permeating our profession. I often do and it drives my girl nuts.

Once I got my previous boss growing herb he taught me a vast amount of info about growing in general. This guy grows more of a variety of plants every year than I could even list.

The most important thing was that weed isn't "special" as many growers (but mostly grow stores) would like you to believe. It's a plant, just like any and many others, that have certain needs (water, light and food). And quantity and quality go hand in hand given all other factors are the same.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: For Soil Growers, WTF to do with water runoff?????? [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #709861 - 01/25/14 05:19 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Sure, they're just plants like any other plants.  But the nutrient lines that are out there, ARE developed specifically for MJ needs.  Different plants have different needs.  A fern can't survive in a desert, and a cactus can't survive in a rain forest. 

So designing nutrients solely for MJ is necessary, when you are wanting to get amazing results.  Just throwing it in soil and giving it light and water and "food" isnt sufficient.  Tailoring the products to MJ's specific needs is quite beneficial.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

Re: For Soil Growers, WTF to do with water runoff?????? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #709863 - 01/25/14 05:25 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
If you already have a PPM, there's no need for EC

Right on, just wasn't sure if EC reads something different than PPM.
Blonde moment.lol.

What are some of the gimmicks that's been oversold?
I am one of those guys that goes in and listens to grow shop guys because they seem pretty down to earth. However I catch them trying to sell me shit even I know I don't need.
Just curious as to what is bull and what is for real.

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

#709864 - 01/25/14 05:28 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Funny thing. I had a grower from around my area tell me to put regular grain sugar in my water when I water and it will sweeten the taste of my plants. I know guys use molasses sometimes, but I highly doubt regular kitchen sugar will have the same effect.lol.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #709865 - 01/25/14 05:32 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Gravity was one of the big ones that I remember, it never did shit and has horrible ingredients.  I pretty much think anything from Humboldt, at least the additives, is a joke an not worth the money. 

I know they cut the strength of Karma down, but I still like that supplement. 

Budswell was another joke of a product they tried to turn me onto.  It's just a watered down bat guano tea basically.  You're better off just using regular bat guano, and making your own teas.

The "flavored" sweet additives I also think are a big fucking joke.  There's no way adding a "flavor" to the root system is going to have an effect on the flavor of the bud.

--------------------

-niteowl

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #709866 - 01/25/14 05:34 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

TribalSeed said:
Funny thing. I had a grower from around my area tell me to put regular grain sugar in my water when I water and it will sweeten the taste of my plants. I know guys use molasses sometimes, but I highly doubt regular kitchen sugar will have the same effect.lol.

Adding raw carbohydrates isn't to sweeten the flavor.  It's to help bulk the plant up.  Carbs are a base building block for plants.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

Re: For Soil Growers, WTF to do with water runoff?????? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #709868 - 01/25/14 05:44 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Quote:

TribalSeed said:

Adding raw carbohydrates isn't to sweeten the flavor.  It's to help bulk the plant up.  Carbs are a base building block for plants.

He meant in the way of the taste of the buds. Anything that's vegan or whatever I just kind of ignore. The grow shop guys recommended FloraBlend to me and said it was like steroids for plants. Huge pile of BS. Its ok stuff, but I don't see anything different it does for the plants that the main nutes don't already do.

When you're saying carbs, that's like the blackstrap molasses right? Grandma Eggys I think right?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #709873 - 01/25/14 07:11 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Budswell was another joke of a product they tried to turn me onto.

I remember that crap I think it's still around. They had a powdered version that was just as much of a ripoff. Mostly dirt with some earthworm castings and almost no guano at all. There was a vegetative version called super tea mix also.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck