Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOrgoneConclusion
Stranger
Re: Hempy Buckets [Re: maryanne3087]
    #579524 - 08/20/11 03:40 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Here is my soilless grow in a 2 quart container with no drainage hole and no PH balancing and no PPM meter, 90F temps and 15% humidity. I like to do things the right way! :cool: Grown under DIY LED.

She is 31" tall with a 21" budsicle. I may be dreaming, but seems like it will yield close to 2 ounces.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelilmafia513
Stranger

Re: Hempy Buckets [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #745994 - 09/01/14 01:12 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Anybody growing hempy anymore???

Offlinewebster10

Re: Hempy Buckets [Re: lilmafia513]
    #746941 - 09/08/14 02:03 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I never have but was wondering if these could be done outdoors? What I'm getting out of this is basically you fill a 5 gallon bucket with perlite, maybe a bit of verm, and then drill a 1" diameter hole 2" from the bottom of the bucket. Then just top feed? With this system would you do feed-water-feed or water-water-feed? Also how often would you water/nute? seems like with just perlite it would dry up very fast.

Offlineroxxor
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Hempy Buckets [Re: webster10]
    #747155 - 09/09/14 03:26 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

webster10 said:
I never have but was wondering if these could be done outdoors? What I'm getting out of this is basically you fill a 5 gallon bucket with perlite, maybe a bit of verm, and then drill a 1" diameter hole 2" from the bottom of the bucket. Then just top feed? With this system would you do feed-water-feed or water-water-feed? Also how often would you water/nute? seems like with just perlite it would dry up very fast.

^curious also

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hempy Buckets [Re: roxxor]
    #747233 - 09/09/14 09:00 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

hempy is a soilless like set up.
So once you start feeding it's just feed feed feed.
Yes it could be done outdoors.
And the larger the plant the more often you have to feed, don't forget environment will affect this as well.  Things like heat, humidity, etc...

--------------------
:getstoned:

Offlinewebster10

Re: Hempy Buckets [Re: Stoneth]
    #747284 - 09/10/14 06:10 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Heat would obviously cause you to have to water more frequently. How would humidity affect watering schedule?
Also nice to know about the feeding schedule, thank you very much for that info.
I might try one of these outdoors next year.

Offlinelilmafia513
Stranger

#747437 - 09/10/14 09:43 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

OK, yes hempy can be done outside, but as you said, you need to water more frequently, and i dont leave mine in constant sunlight, more an area where the sun peeks thru the trees throughout the whole day.
Another good idea is to bury your pot underground for the cooling, and pulling up out the hole to water.

Your mix is 3 parts perilite, to 1 part vermiculite, or adjusted as needed based on temps. and humidity. more vermiculite if it dries out too fast, and less if it stays too wet, it all depends on your environment, like any other grow method.

Yes 1" hole 2" up, and you can play with this also to adjust watering intervals, higher and smaller for longer wet times.

Also, like any other grow method, you watch your plants for feeding schedules. I always wait untill my plants show me signs of needing water and nutes. But as a rule of thumb i try to do at least every other watering with nutes.
Hope this helps guys, thanks for visiting.

Offlinewebster10

#747461 - 09/11/14 06:19 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

lilmafia513 said:
Quote:

coda said:
I've been reading about this method of cultivation for a few weeks now.  It's similar to hanky's coco method but it uses different medium and a mod to a bucket to make the system idiot proof.

Basically its taking a 3-5 gallon plastic bucket, drill a hole two inches from the bottom of the bucket,
You forgot to mention it varies on size of pot yiou are using... and that it should be a 1 inch hole 2 inches from the bottom.
then fill the bucket with a 50/50 mix of verm and perlite.
Actually it 3 parts perlite to 1 part vermiculite.
  You water it just like hanky does with his coco, this system does use a lot of nutes and requires a decent amount of watering, but you have the added benefit of the hole in the bucket which prevents overwatering.
The point of the hole is to allow more oxygen to the rootzone. i water my hempys every other day, in plastic cups, every three days in 5 gallon pots.

Basically the bucket is made to simulate a water table in nature.  Early on you keep the waterings light and centered around the stem of the plant as the roots grow down to the bottom of the bucket. 
Not true, you water until you see water come out the hole, otherwise the little bit you put in will be evaporated by the end of the day....
The two inches of the bucket below the hole act as a resevoir.  The roots grow through the medium and hit the rez and then just go crazy.  As i already stated the hole in the bucket is for overflow,
oxygen once the roots hit the bottom you water the bucket until you see a little drainage and then stop.  The plant then sucks the water up in the rez and thrives.  Another added benefit to this system is you don't have to balance your PH, you don't need PPM/TDS/EC meters, and you can feed your plants full strength nutes from the get go
Bro, if you do this, your plants will die. You always check PH, if not the plant will not take up the nutrients needed. You never slam full nutes to a plant from the jump, always introduce nutes gradually to prevent burning...
The last, and biggest, bonus is that these things are insanely cheap to build and fill with medium.

I'll be making a hempy bucket in the future to toss in next to my soil girls.  If it proves to be as easy as i've read im switching over permanently from soil. :smile:

My question is.....Why in gods name would you try to provide ionformation on something you have never done??
I use hempys, you obviously do not....ANYBODY WANT REAL USEFULL INFORMATION, please get at me.
I can help you grow great trees in hempy buckets with pics to prove it. Just ask, as i know i am a newb, only to this site. Been on another i don't think i'll mention for sometime. There they have the hempy collective, maybe i can pull some of my journals off and paste them into my own thread, but a newb, so if any questions or can give me some info on this new site, please get ahold of me

So your suggestion to me was to put my hempy a little below ground in order to keep the res cool and lengthen time in between waterings. But you tried to tell that guy that the hole was exclussively for oxygen exchange for the roots down in the res. How would the hole allow oxygen in the hole if the hole is below ground?

Maybe I could just dig a 2" hole so only the res is underground? Would that even be worth doing? Lol.

Well anyways, thanks for the advice.

Offlinelilmafia513
Stranger

#747656 - 09/11/14 09:40 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Yes this is true, the hole is for oxygen, but the majority is being pulled thru the top of the pot or cup you are using. This person was explaining that the whole was to resist over watering, but how can it be over watered? As you water from the top of the pot, it soaks all the medium on the way down, and leaving a hole in the side allows it to pour out once filling the res at the bottom.

My idea would be too dig the whole a little more round than needed and backfill with sand. still leaving a little room between the side of the hole and the side of the pot.

Offlinewebster10

#747674 - 09/12/14 05:38 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Ok again thanks for the information. I'm just not quite sure how there would be space between the side of the hole and the bucket if I just backfilled the hole with sand. I also would like to know if this idea would work.

Would installing a small screen at the base of the 1" hole to block perlite/verm from getting into the res be a good idea? I'm thinking this would increase available space in the res to allow for more root development. The only thing I'm having trouble of thinking of is a screen that is small enough to block perlite and verm from falling through but big enough to allow roots to grow through it.

Offlinelilmafia513
Stranger

#747819 - 09/12/14 09:54 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

webster10 said:
Ok again thanks for the information. I'm just not quite sure how there would be space between the side of the hole and the bucket if I just backfilled the hole with sand. I also would like to know if this idea would work.

Would installing a small screen at the base of the 1" hole to block perlite/verm from getting into the res be a good idea? I'm thinking this would increase available space in the res to allow for more root development. The only thing I'm having trouble of thinking of is a screen that is small enough to block perlite and verm from falling through but big enough to allow roots to grow through it.

Look up using sand for a cooler, google it, lol its real lol.
You wont have a problem with root growth or water staying in the bottom long. within 24 hrs, most of the actual water in my cups, yes i grew colas in red solo cups, was absorbed into the medium. The cups were still heavy, just no run off when tilting the cup towards the hole side.
I wouldnt worry about putting a screen in the bottom, You want the roots to reach the bottom of the res. Ill post a pic of my transplant to show you the root zone coming out of a red solo cup going into a kitty litter bucket lol.....brb....

Offlinelilmafia513
Stranger

#747821 - 09/12/14 10:04 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I dont know if i am allowed to do this or not, but i have previously stated in the past that i was on another forum as well, The site i went to after the shut down of Overgrow.....if anybody remembers those days...
But here is a link to my hempy transplant, hope it helps...
Click Here

Edited by lilmafia513 (09/12/14 10:08 PM)

Offlinewebster10

#747844 - 09/13/14 05:50 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for that information man. I have heard and learned from experience that transplanting autos will basically make them produce next to nothing. So I popped my seed directly into my 5 gallon hempy to germinate. Any tips for germing seeds directly in hempys?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #747906 - 09/13/14 02:45 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

lilmafia513 said:
I dont know if i am allowed to do this or not, but i have previously stated in the past that i was on another forum as well, The site i went to after the shut down of Overgrow.....if anybody remembers those days...
Click Here

I was a moderator at Overgrow. You may already have this but here is there faq as of the day they got busted.

https://www.drugs-forum.com/growfaq/GrowFAQ%20Basic%20Topics.htm

This isn't ICMAG bro you can mention the name of other forums. :crazy2:

if you have good write ups on other forums you can just link them if you want. (of course cut and paste is just as easy but the link option is always open)

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinelilmafia513
Stranger

Re: Hempy Buckets [Re: Magash]
    #748103 - 09/14/14 07:32 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Quote:

lilmafia513 said:
Click Here

I was a moderator at Overgrow. You may already have this but here is there faq as of the day they got busted.

https://www.drugs-forum.com/growfaq/GrowFAQ%20Basic%20Topics.htm

This isn't ICMAG bro you can mention the name of other forums. :crazy2:

if you have good write ups on other forums you can just link them if you want. (of course cut and paste is just as easy but the link option is always open)

:happyweed:

I was on the OG for a few months before it "WENT AWAY", and began my learning there. Very sad day when we lost that site....
Anyhoo...im here sometimes and on the other site. I have tried to broaden my skills to outdoor also, so i only come on about 2-3 times a week just to see if i can help out at all. On both the good and bad side, there are sooo many people growing now, its hard to help, or debate opinions with everybody out there now...

Offlinelilmafia513
Stranger

#748118 - 09/14/14 08:16 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

webster10 said:
Thanks for that information man. I have heard and learned from experience that transplanting autos will basically make them produce next to nothing. So I popped my seed directly into my 5 gallon hempy to germinate. Any tips for germing seeds directly in hempys?

be careful not to overwater, it has to dry out as to not rot off at the stalk where it comes out of the medium.

Offlinewebster10

#748193 - 09/15/14 10:48 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the tip

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck