Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: Hempy Buckets [Re: God]
    #488173 - 10/15/10 09:57 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Original link in this thread isn't working for me.

This is a youtube video that shows the process:

There are a lot of hempy buckets being used in the grows posted at youtube.  I am surprised how massive some of the 1 gallon plants are.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelilmafia513
Stranger

Re: Hempy Buckets [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #493331 - 10/29/10 09:44 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Here is a revised version of the original Hempy Collective from another site, which is also helpful for our great hobby :smile:CLICK HERE FOR HEMPY LOVE

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Hempy Buckets [Re: boomsaway]
    #496070 - 11/07/10 06:30 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

boomsaway said:

once the root system hits that res. it seems to slow its growth a lot.
each plant had a very small root system, although the taproot gets super thick.

also there seems to be a bit of some kind of bacterial growth where the water sits.

i also found that they respond much better if you let 10% or so of your nute
solution over flow out.

I've been seriously considering doing hempy buckets for our next grow, but the idea of having the water at the bottom of your bucket with no way out would be a perfect place for bacteria to fester in. At least it seems that it would be to me.

Maybe adding a drain-hole and cork on the very bottom to drain any standing water while the plant is too small to reach that deep? Or would that be overcomplicating things?

Also, would it be worthwhile to use this style medium on a SoG with 25 2-liter bottles on top of a table that slopes into a drain? I'd probably have to water more often, with less water each time though, right?

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

Re: Hempy Buckets [Re: Tank333]
    #496072 - 11/07/10 06:39 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

If you're doing things properly the plant drinks at a fast enough rate that the water gets replaced freqently, so it doesn't have time to go stagnant or nasty.

I've seen some SoG small style Hempy's, seemed to work just fine. I've been considering the same thing, but I really wanna get away from watering my plants by hand, as it is, my 5 gallon buckets drink a gallon twice a week.

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Hempy Buckets [Re: DieselB]
    #496076 - 11/07/10 06:55 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Mhmm... I'm probably gonna end up using a beer-bong or something to help with watering so I don't have to reach too far over all the rest of the plants... i'd hate to see 4% of my work get ruined by snapping one of the plants...

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisiblePandor

Re: Hempy Buckets [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #496739 - 11/09/10 10:08 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

CrayolaHalls said:
Original link in this thread isn't working for me.

This is a youtube video that shows the process:

There are a lot of hempy buckets being used in the grows posted at youtube.  I am surprised how massive some of the 1 gallon plants are.

nice link

OfflinePsuper
حشيش حشّاشين
 User Gallery

Loc: Left Coast
Re: Hempy Buckets [Re: Pandor]
    #497797 - 11/13/10 05:18 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

What grades of perlite and vermiculite are folks choosing for these hempy buckets?

--------------------
Shroomery.org

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: Hempy Buckets [Re: Psuper]
    #497872 - 11/14/10 12:35 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I use medium/coarse perlite, and don't bother with the verm.  However, I think people generally go for the big shit.

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hempy Buckets [Re: God]
    #502342 - 12/01/10 02:57 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

God said:
I use medium/coarse perlite, and don't bother with the verm.  However, I think people generally go for the big shit.

A grower on another forum did a side by side of 30verm/70perlite vs 100% perlite and the verm/perlite had wayyyyyyyy bigger roots his side by side comparison was done using peppers and the results were so significant a very small sample would be convincing. If I ever went hempy I'd have to use verm or coco + perlite rather than pure perlite.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hempy Buckets [Re: maryanne3087]
    #502364 - 12/01/10 04:53 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I stopped using the verm because a.) it was fucking impossible to find in my area in a decent qty b.) Thought it was the cause of my algae problem (light leaks turned out to be the culprit).

I'd be willing to give the verm a go again and do a side by side comparison, using verm is a PITA honestly but if it does help produce better plants I'm all for it.  I just never noticed much of a difference between straight perlite and mixed, in fact each successive grow with the strains I've been running has been getting better and better. 

Just was thinking though, isn't this observation kind of a "no shit, sherlock" moment?  You would think that providing additional water retention to your plants roots you will produce a much healthier root system.  Not always the case I know, but it just seems kind of obvious.  Be nice if I could just buy some premixed stuff because I hate mixing the two together.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hempy Buckets [Re: coda]
    #502367 - 12/01/10 05:00 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
I stopped using the verm because a.) it was fucking impossible to find in my area in a decent qty b.) Thought it was the cause of my algae problem (light leaks turned out to be the culprit).

I'd be willing to give the verm a go again and do a side by side comparison, using verm is a PITA honestly but if it does help produce better plants I'm all for it.  I just never noticed much of a difference between straight perlite and mixed, in fact each successive grow with the strains I've been running has been getting better and better. 

Just was thinking though, isn't this observation kind of a "no shit, sherlock" moment?  You would think that providing additional water retention to your plants roots you will produce a much healthier root system.  Not always the case I know, but it just seems kind of obvious.  Be nice if I could just buy some premixed stuff because I hate mixing the two together.

Mixing doesn't sound that bad to me. Maybe you're exceptionally lazy?

I thought it was a fairly obvious outcome but I'm often surprised by my assumptions being incorrect. It's hard to figure out what the perfect mixture of water retention and air space is in a medium, I had no doubt that straight perlite was a less than perfect medium.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #502394 - 12/01/10 06:22 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Mixing doesn't sound that bad to me. Maybe you're exceptionally lazy?

No, it's the fact that perlite (and in some cases the verm) are very dusty and I dislike being coated in the dust and dealing with a dust mask.  Plus I don't like my pets breathing it in and I can't mix outside due to paranoia and common sense :wink:

Just because I hate doing it doesn't mean I won't.  Honestly though, if I could grow a crop just as well in straight perlite vs the mixed substrate, wouldn't even you skip out on it?  I did my first hempy grow following his instructions on mixing up the substrate, then I did my next grow using straight perlite.  The mixed substrate didn't seem to offer me anything beneficial compared to using straight perlite.  I never really saw my plants wilt and the last harvest gave me plants the yielded just a few grams shy of 3 oz per plant.  So needless to say I've been very happy with straight perlite so far.

Regardless, it never hurts to try things over again.  Having one bucket with verm in it next grow will be fun, have a little mini showdown between the methods :smile:

--------------------

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
    #502399 - 12/01/10 06:34 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Without doing a side by side it's really hard to say what medium you're more successful with. Naturally the more experience you get the better you will grow making less mistakes and such learning how to optimize your garden, etc.

InvisiblePandor

#502572 - 12/02/10 01:41 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Has anyone used this method for their first grow? Or generally does everyone start with soil?

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hempy Buckets [Re: Pandor]
    #502583 - 12/02/10 02:23 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I think Harry_Ballsach's first grow was hempy buckets.

Integra21 on this website started in DWC, he started the seeds in soil but then cloned the motherplants into DWC (hydro).

Amongst my first indoor grows were coco, which is a form of hydroponics/soilless growing.

I know people who dove into large ops with hydro, some successful, some not. IMO there's a learning curve to growing and it's good to start with soil if you're not familiar with problems to expect. I think that coco is easier than soil and is a lot more problem free. Soil is bad for bugs or at least can be, it's also heavy as fuck, you can easily over water soil.

Coco is cleaner so less bugs, it comes in compressed bricks, it doesn't create huge dust clouds of glass (I believe this is an accurate description?), and it's very hard to overwater you can easily keep your coco saturated and instead of becoming water logged the coco will just continue to drain if you keep watering. I actually water up to 150-200% of the containers volume.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #502622 - 12/02/10 05:33 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Do you leach your coco or do the bricks you buy come pretreated for you?

--------------------

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
    #502623 - 12/02/10 05:43 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I've bought a lot of coco brands.

Botanicare is very good and wouldn't need any rinsing / pre treatment. This coco is steam sterilized and really consistent.

Mo Koko is also very good and ...... """"" This coco is listed under some RHP Dutch thing which basically certifies it as high grade organic horticulture worthy shit.

Canna and B'cuzz are good but who ever pre treats them seems to fuck up a lot. I've rinsed my coco by saturating it and getting 100% run off (100% volume of the pot in water and it had a EC of 3.5-4 or something)

Personally, I have "different" feeding methods than 99.99% of the canna world so I rinse all coco, and pretreat it myself I could for sure use either the Mo Koko or botanicare without rinsing/pretreating.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #504788 - 12/11/10 01:29 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

maryanne3087 said:
I think Harry_Ballsach's first grow was hempy buckets.

:lol: not even close. My first grow log posted on this website was a Hempy grow, but that was hardly my first grow ever :wink:

--------------------

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
Re: Hempy Buckets [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #504882 - 12/12/10 12:21 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

How does the watering and feeding schedule of Hempy compare to Soil?  Do you water every day, or does the perlite/vermiculite mix hold moister for a few days?  Do you feed every watering?

--------------------
It looks like it's going to be another Gravity Bong type day...

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hempy Buckets [Re: muse42]
    #505029 - 12/12/10 03:20 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Harry has a grow log of hempy buckets you can check out. I've gone through it twice now, well worth looking at.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale