Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

Loc: Back in the USSR. Flag
The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. 2.0 The 2014 Version!
    #690424 - 10/24/13 12:44 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Hey.  What is your preferred nutrient solution and why?  Been outta' the grow game since 2008 and noticed a lot of changes in the way of advancements in grow equipment and there are A LOT more nutrient brands to choose from now so I seek your opinions on which ones are the best these days based on your experience and opinions.  The last brand of nutrients I was using was called Advanced Nutrients.

Edited by hamloaf (01/25/14 09:07 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: hamloaf]
    #690425 - 10/24/13 12:47 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I really like Botanicaire.  Reasonably priced and works wonderfully, also hard to burn with. 

But I use a myriad of supplements as well.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #690447 - 10/24/13 03:05 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I first started with techniflora's recipe for success, but I'm now looking into making my own nutrient mixes from base salts. It costs pennies on the dollar compared to buying the commercialized bottles of the same thing. It takes a bit of study, but I've spent about four days reading this long ass thread on mixing your own salts, and I think I've got a sort-of almost grasp of it so far.... lol. Plus, there are nutrient calculators I can use to make my own formula. I plug in the NPK values I want, and the specific salts I have, and it spits out a recipe to make a simple A & B part formula. As soon as I get a new laptop (I've been stuck with only my phone for about two months) I'll be able to play around with THAT, and get a real good grasp of it.

--------------------
My best run so far

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: hamloaf] * 1
    #690526 - 10/25/13 05:42 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I use Advanced Nutrients and have great results.

Grab yourself a good ph/ppm meter for your grow and you'll kick ass with most nutrient lines out there.  :thaaannks:

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #690528 - 10/25/13 06:52 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Went to the local hydro store yesterday to do exactly that (pick up a PH tester).  For 20$ I got this small PH kit of PH up and down, PH test drops, a test vial and a dropper by General Hydroponics. 

Going to the hydro store yesterday and seeing all the brands of nutrients on the shelf was overwhelming a little bit and is what inspired this question.

I'm partial to organic nutrients so I like what Hawksapprecntice suggested.  Two brands of nutrient solutions that are being considered are Telafloura and Roots brand nutrients.

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: hamloaf]
    #690530 - 10/25/13 07:50 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

i like botanicare. ive only used it on one grow but i dont see myself switching to anything else soon.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #690534 - 10/25/13 08:48 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I've switched to Canna when I went 100% coco, best move yet. I was with Advanced but they're were always problems with the plants, especially around the P-K boost-- flushing was always a bitch. I have a non-recirculating tank and the nutrients would form solids and have a bunch of crap after a few days of sitting. I emailed them for support but they wouldn't really address an issue over email, just phone (which I didn't have at the time, but they still refused to help via email.) I think thats because they don't want to put anything in writing that may be negative about their product. 12 PH.D's to develop the formula, but what they don't tell you is that 11 of those are in marketing--full line is 17 bottles give or take a few depending on what they have to pull off the shelf from time to time.

Its hard to find at most stores but Canna is the simplest nutrient line I've seen, A+B and zym, PK one week, Boost(flavor, speed) in flower but optional, rhizo when your rooting, also optional but recommended. Thats it. I'll mix it up pretty much full strength the whole time during flower, with a few random days of plain water, but its only at around 800ppm's and the plants love it. Flushing got much easier also. The leaf tips might show signs of a little bit of burn after a few weeks but never a real problem after a day or so of plain water.

Silica is single-handedly the best additive I've tried, I recommend everyone add it to their regime. Strengthens the plant cells and protects against insects and environment. It will help keep your buds from sagging over when they get top heavy. 

Pretty much everyone here has started with the pH adjust kit from GH. They work but eventually become a pain in the ass. I've only had to use the pH+ when I overshot the pH-, but rarely, and I would usually just add more water instead. Advanced makes a good/strong pH-, especially compared to GH's liquid and powder.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: phychotron]
    #690558 - 10/25/13 01:25 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Don't use roots, it throws your pH all over the place.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #690565 - 10/25/13 02:05 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

and their soil will give you a shit ton of fungus gnats...

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: phychotron]
    #690566 - 10/25/13 02:55 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

It's a shitty company altogether.  They're based in my state, and I've seen/heard a lot of shady things with them.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #690581 - 10/25/13 04:34 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Agreed, I told a guy at a hydro store I wanted to foliar feed nitrogen to help boost the plants in early veg, he handed me the pure N 16-0-0 but it didn't say anything about foliar, guy at the store said it should work, its nitrogen. So I emailed them and they said its not recommended because its too hot.

Which reminds me...

A much better foliar spray that I use now is the Humboldt Nutrients Verde @ 16-1-2, which is a more rounded product that has Magnesium Iron and Zinc, which are commonly deficient. Some things may not deficient in soil but hard for the plant to transport upward, I think Mg is one of those, maybe even the other two.

I only foliar spray when they're just starting to get into the coco from the cloner and they don't have any nutrients in the medium, and occasionally in veg to green up the leaves a bit. Maybe once or twice I might add it to the nutrient tank in veg.

So my master formula right now is
Canna's 2-part Coco plus additives planted in pure coco, Gro-Tek's Pro-silicate, Humboldt Nutrients' Verde, Advanced Nutrients pH down. Drip fed via Blumats, two per 5 gallon pot. Superthive in the aerocloner for IBA. I'm pretty satisfied with this combination, its pretty rock solid, and not over complicated. I can't think of anything else the plants might need, except more light.

--------------------

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#690689 - 10/25/13 07:34 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Botanicaire is good.. its what i used on my 1st grow... if u look my my grow log u will see what i got with it..

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: Mrshroom]
    #690695 - 10/25/13 11:48 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

two per 5 gallon pot. Superthive in the aerocloner for IBA. I'm pretty satisfied with this combination, its pretty rock solid, and not over complicated. I can't think of anything else the plants might need, except more light.

How about more space for those poor girls!! Lol :wink:

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: Tank333]
    #690697 - 10/26/13 06:39 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

They are kinda packed in there, but I try and keep them from being too smashed up together.

I was thinking of doing 3 or 4 blumats to even out the watering.

--------------------

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

#690996 - 10/28/13 09:34 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Right now I'm rockin' the Fertilome brand Fish Emulsion (5-1-1) for veg.  It's doing the trick.  Like what I'm hearing about this Botanicare brand nutes.  That's crazy about Roots.  Got a buddy who's rockin the Roots.  He got the little "Players Package" and he's in love with em'. That brand Canna you're talking about sounds familiar.  They are outta Humboldt county, aren't they?  Back in 08' as I quit growing there was this new brand of nutrient coming out of Homboldt that I remember thinking I wanted to try and at the time remember thinking was in the same league as Advanced Nutrients but can't remember the name of it.  Remember wanting to switch to it though because they we're made in my native land of America.

Good lookin' grow, btw, I'll tell you hhhwhat.  :hank:

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #690998 - 10/28/13 09:40 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I'm a fan of all the General Hydroponics line ups.  If I had to choose a single favorite it'd be FloraNova line.

--------------------
:getstoned:

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: Stoneth] * 1
    #691008 - 10/29/13 02:41 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Way to be so 6 years ago stoney :wink:

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #691018 - 10/29/13 10:20 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:
Right now I'm rockin' the Fertilome brand Fish Emulsion (5-1-1) for veg.  It's doing the trick.  Like what I'm hearing about this Botanicare brand nutes.  That's crazy about Roots.  Got a buddy who's rockin the Roots.  He got the little "Players Package" and he's in love with em'. That brand Canna you're talking about sounds familiar.  They are outta Humboldt county, aren't they?  Back in 08' as I quit growing there was this new brand of nutrient coming out of Homboldt that I remember thinking I wanted to try and at the time remember thinking was in the same league as Advanced Nutrients but can't remember the name of it.  Remember wanting to switch to it though because they we're made in my native land of America.

Good lookin' grow, btw, I'll tell you hhhwhat.  :hank:

Canna is a Dutch company thats been around since the early 90's. They came along and basically revolutionized the use of coco coir in hydroponics. They came out with their last product, Boost, in 2008; it might have been talked about for awhile.

I think they're are 2 Humboldt brands out there now. Humboldt nutrients, which seems pretty good so far and another that I've heard from a few people that it sucked.

Any nutrient line should work if you use it long enough and figure out its magic formula.

--------------------

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

#691183 - 10/30/13 05:04 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Just got the Botanicare "Pure Blend Prow Grow" (3-2-4) about 2 hours ago.  Is there any kind of special precautions that should be taken when switching from one nutrient source to another or may I just feed them this new stuff right away?

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

#692200 - 11/06/13 03:56 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Just wanted to drop by and say thank you for all of your suggestions.  Decided to go with Botanicare and I am a Botanicare convert now. 

Been using this nute for a week now.  No precautions were taken when switching from on nutrient source to the next either.  In the first feeding I hit them with half the strength suggested by the feeding chart on the bottle and noticed immediate greening so I feed them full strength the next day.  Growth has accelerated.  The plants went from growing about a half inch a day to growing 3/4 to 1 inch per day, and the purple-ing in the plants stems and main veins caused by my previous nutrient's unbalanced diet (low phosphorus to nitrogen ratio) has cleared up and the new growth is all green.  This Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Grow smells better than any other vegetative nutrient that I'v ever smelled too, and it's easy to use.

Edited by hamloaf (11/06/13 04:02 AM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #692276 - 11/06/13 02:29 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Awesome, I hear nothing but good things about Botanicare.

--------------------

Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
    #692556 - 11/07/13 11:12 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Ive been using 100% full Fox Farm organic line for soil for the last year and :thumbdown:

I get mediocre results with it, in fact Im getting better results with miracle grow :wow:

advanced nutrients is my next line then botanicaire if that doesnt do it, either that or I just suck at :ganja:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: 13buds]
    #692563 - 11/07/13 11:55 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I recommend staying away from AN. They hide PGR's in their nutes and make you pay extra for crap you shouldn't use on weed. Labeled by the FDA as "for ornamental plants only", these compounds are highly carcinogenic!

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: 13buds]
    #692583 - 11/08/13 02:45 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I'd say avoid AN also, they're a pain in the ass to use. I like their pH adjust, but their nutrients don't hold up in my tank (non-recirculating, just sitting by themselves) They say their formula was made by 12 Ph.D.'s but what they don't say is that 11 of them are in marketing. How do you make a few extra million a year? Sell them 17 products to complete the full line of nutrients--some stuff at $400 per gallon. They have an idea where your money is from and know some people wont mind throwing a few extra bucks down at the hydro store thinking they need it for the bomb bud.

I'd go with Botanicare before AN.

As for organics, it seems like there are not too many good liquid organic nutrients out there. I decided its not needed and stop researching it. My brother was using AN's Iguana and I liked his plants in veg and smoked/tasted good but wasn't maxing out the yield. Hard to say if it works that well because he never kept up with it. From what I read online it seems like the people who do go liquid organic liked it a lot.

--------------------

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

#692604 - 11/08/13 09:56 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I didn't care that much for Advanced Nutrients either.  Too many supplements.  Upthread "Farmer Joe" states he uses Advanced Nutrients and has good results with them.  I wonder what his specific regimen with those nutrients are? 

Botanicare Pure Blend formulas are they way to go.  Botanicare is what I'v converted to.  From what I understand from what I'v been researching (if I'm understanding correctly) these Botanicare brand Pure Blend formulas are well rounded.  Meaning they have all kinds of different supplements already mixed into their base nutrient, and they are a super easy to use.  My plants just love them, and I love that my plants love them. 

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: hamloaf] * 1
    #709754 - 01/24/14 08:20 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Let's bring this talk back for 2014!

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: Harry_Ba11sach] * 1
    #709755 - 01/24/14 08:28 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Still Botanicaire for me.  With Kool Bloom, and earthworm casting/guano teas.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

#709758 - 01/24/14 08:41 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Damn guess I got some bad info...crazy too, a LOT of people recommended the Fox Farm trio to me so I stocked up on it and that's all Ive used. Guessing since nobody here uses it there must be a reason. :frown:

--------------------
:firecum:

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: bEelzeBosS]
    #709763 - 01/24/14 08:47 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

fox farm is not a bad line, my patient uses there line and has good results. I am still using botanicare, but my next grow i will be doing a test with house and garden line on 2 or 3 plants to compare to botanicare to see if i get any better results, but the rest of my plants i will still be using botanicare.

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #709764 - 01/24/14 08:47 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I'll still with General Hydroponics FloraNova, liquid and dry Koolbloom, Rapid Start, AN's carbo load, and Budswell.

I alos use AN's Final Phase for my flushing agent.

--------------------
:getstoned:

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: bEelzeBosS]
    #709766 - 01/24/14 08:50 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

bEelzeBosS said:
Damn guess I got some bad info...crazy too, a LOT of people recommended the Fox Farm trio to me so I stocked up on it and that's all Ive used. Guessing since nobody here uses it there must be a reason. :frown:

Bull fucking shit if nobody uses it. The trio are the best bud boosters out. I've used just about everything and I'll stick with the trio.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: Magash]
    #709771 - 01/24/14 09:04 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

The only "booster" I use is koolbloom.  Everything else I get from the teas that I make.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#709773 - 01/24/14 09:08 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
The only "booster" I use is koolbloom.  Everything else I get from the teas that I make.

hmm i would have though u would use hydroplex from botanicare hawk.

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

#709776 - 01/24/14 09:10 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

what botanicare products do you use?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: CrushNazT]
    #709780 - 01/24/14 09:41 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Grow, Bloom, Silica, and Karma.

I will use Excellerator from house and garden or whatever it is, when transplanting.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

#709785 - 01/24/14 10:26 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

New news for 2014.....AN is going broke and will soon be bankrupt. Anyone else heard the gossip? The owner of the hydro shop I work at was in visiting and mentioned that  Big Mike emailed a bunch his major customers and asked for a loan to help keep the company going. (supposedly)

Something's definitely up though.

I was at work yesterday when my boss was emailing our AN rep back and forth about shit that's on back order. Come to find out they're currently out of 4L sensi base nutes and only have 1L's available.

Now what is messed up is our rep said that they are out of bud factor x, rhino skin, and a few other additives and will not be making them until MARCH. I'm glad I have enough nutes to get me though my current grow.

AN is a fucking joke.

I think Humboldt's line is where I'm headed next. I hear heavy 16 is pretty popular out west. Any of you guys run their line yet?

--------------------

InvisibleP-O Happy Birthday!

Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: Farmer Joe] * 1
    #709788 - 01/24/14 10:37 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

:takingnotes:

Offlineothyem
Male
Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: P-O]
    #709795 - 01/25/14 02:39 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Not a big an fan anyway. I use a mix mash of organic lines. I would think green planet would be the most natural an replacement though. My buddy swears by it. I'm running their medi-one on a couple plants now. So far so good.

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: othyem]
    #709803 - 01/25/14 09:06 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:

Good call, Harry.  Thread title updated!

Quote:

CrushNazT said:
Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

Hey, Crush.  I use Botanicare exclusively right now as well.  I'm rocking Pro Grow and Bloom with Liquid Karma, Vitamino, Silica-Blast and Hydroplex.  I use 100% Organic, 100% black strap molasses instead of the Botanicare "Sweets" to add sugars and carbs to the plant's diet.  I have some CalMag hanging around in case of any cal mag issues.  I don't use it regurlarly though, because I don't use reverse osmosis water.  Kind of strain being grown, and how individual plants react to feeding dictates what strength nutrients are fed to plants at.

The only extra additives and supplements I use are SuperThrive at one drop per gallon of water (the plants love this shit), Growmore brand Seaweed Extract (0.10-0.10-1.5) during veg at a half-o-milliliter per gallon of water, and the Wholesome Sweeteners Brand Organic Molasses at just a couple 2-3 drops per gallon of water starting at about the 3rd week of flowering. 

My feeding regimen goes like this - feed with base nutrient - water - additives and supplements - water - repeat. 

Quote:

Farmer Joe said:
New news for 2014.....AN is going broke and will soon be bankrupt. Anyone else heard the gossip? The owner of the hydro shop I work at was in visiting and mentioned that  Big Mike emailed a bunch his major customers and asked for a loan to help keep the company going. (supposedly)

I was at work yesterday when my boss was emailing our AN rep back and forth about shit that's on back order. Come to find out they're currently out of 4L sensi base nutes and only have 1L's available.

Now what is messed up is our rep said that they are out of bud factor x, rhino skin, and a few other additives and will not be making them until MARCH. I'm glad I have enough nutes to get me though my current grow.

AN is a fucking joke.

I think Humboldt's line is where I'm headed next. I hear heavy 16 is pretty popular out west. Any of you guys run their line yet?

Haha, that's fuckin' crazy. 

There's some new shit out that's peaked my interests too.  1 is a brand called "Aqua Flakes".  They look dank and I believe are out of Switzerland.  Another one is called "A&B" or something like that.  They come in white bottles.  One has an orange label and the other label is blue.  Humbold's secret "Golden Tree" sounds killer too.  I'm about 5 cosmic seconds away from getting a nutrient tea burner and making my own damn nutrients.  Maybe one day bottle the shit up and slap my face on said bottles and start my own nutrient line.

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#709804 - 01/25/14 09:41 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:
Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:

Good call, Harry.  Thread title updated!

Quote:

CrushNazT said:
Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

Hey, Crush.  I use Botanicare exclusively right now as well.  I'm rocking Pro Grow and Bloom with Liquid Karma, Vitamino, Silica-Blast and Hydroplex.  I use 100% Organic, 100% black strap molasses instead of the Botanicare "Sweets" to add sugars and carbs to the plant's diet.  I have some CalMag hanging around in case of any cal mag issues.  I don't use it regurlarly though, because I don't use reverse osmosis water.  Kind of strain being grown, and how individual plants react to feeding dictates what strength nutrients are fed to plants at.

The only extra additives and supplements I use are SuperThrive at one drop per gallon of water (the plants love this shit), Growmore brand Seaweed Extract (0.10-0.10-1.5) during veg at a half-o-milliliter per gallon of water, and the Wholesome Sweeteners Brand Organic Molasses at just a couple 2-3 drops per gallon of water starting at about the 3rd week of flowering. 

My feeding regimen goes like this - feed with base nutrient - water - additives and supplements - water - repeat. 

Quote:

Farmer Joe said:

AN is a fucking joke.

Haha, that's fuckin' crazy. 

There's some new shit out that's peaked my interests too.  1 is a brand called "Aqua Flakes".  They look dank and I believe are out of Switzerland.  Another one is called "A&B" or something like that.  They come in white bottles.  One has an orange label and the other label is blue.  Humbold's secret "Golden Tree" sounds killer too.  I'm about 5 cosmic seconds away from getting a nutrient tea burner and making my own damn nutrients.  Maybe one day bottle the shit up and slap my face on said bottles and start my own nutrient line.

i would stay away from the humboldts golden tree its prity much a remake of gravity .. i gave them a call when cause i wanted to find out if it had pgrs in it like how gravity did and the sales man gave me the run around on the phone trying to avoid answering the question. i was curious about the product cause they claim is liek gravity .. but i was hoping it woudl be with out the pgrs.

and i thought aqua flakes was made by house and garden for hydro set ups.

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: Mrshroom]
    #709805 - 01/25/14 10:09 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Mrshroom said:

i would stay away from the humboldts golden tree its prity much a remake of gravity .. i gave them a call when cause i wanted to find out if it had pgrs in it like how gravity did and the sales man gave me the run around on the phone trying to avoid answering the question. i was curious about the product cause they claim is liek gravity .. but i was hoping it woudl be with out the pgrs.

good to know. I've never heard of that nute line. Humboldt Nutrients is a completely different company

--------------------

OfflinePsuper
حشيش حشّاشين
 User Gallery

Loc: Left Coast
Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #709932 - 01/26/14 11:37 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I stick with the Fox Farm line and I add Silica Blast (from Botanicare) and some molasses for my medical soil grows.

You can substitute or add guano for the bloom booster.

--------------------
Shroomery.org

InvisibleSacajaGanja
Beer
Male

Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: Psuper]
    #710023 - 01/27/14 07:06 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I actually keep mine pretty simple, I stick with jungle juice. But since I am growing in soil right now. I am even keeping it more simple with the Lucas Formula, until I get more comfortable with everything seeing as how I mainly grew outdoors for a long time. Not sure if my post does 0.01cents but hey, just letting you know what I use! Cheers,

~Skunk

OfflineBluntguY 207
That Guy
 User Gallery

Loc: North East Coast Flag
Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: SacajaGanja]
    #710036 - 01/27/14 09:38 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Ive used fox farms in my outdoor for a few seasons with good results, my first indoor grow ibused them as well with very good results. I followed the feed schedule to the t for my indoor.

currently usimg AN grandmaster olan for my current grow.  Its is more costly but by bud sites have almost doubled and they are twice as frosty.... I will deff be comparing reaults from both grows.  I trained them the same and used the same soil and same size pots.  Sucks to hear about them running short on nutes!  I may not be sticking with them very long either!

--------------------
"Self sufficient medical marijuana patient"

"I should be sponsered by Swisher Sweets":gethigh:

InvisibleSacajaGanja
Beer
Male

Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: BluntguY 207]
    #710047 - 01/27/14 10:08 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

BluntguY 207 said:
Ive used fox farms in my outdoor for a few seasons with good results, my first indoor grow ibused them as well with very good results. I followed the feed schedule to the t for my indoor.

currently usimg AN grandmaster olan for my current grow.  Its is more costly but by bud sites have almost doubled and they are twice as frosty.... I will deff be comparing reaults from both grows.  I trained them the same and used the same soil and same size pots.  Sucks to hear about them running short on nutes!  I may not be sticking with them very long either!

Hrm, AN has become increasingly more popular and I would love to give them a whirl indoors. Have used Advanced Nutrient outdoors with exceptional results. If their product is superior indoors, you bet I will be switching to them as well. Now my next statement since I only have experience in outdoor other than the girl I have going inside right now and my buddy that I grow with outdoors I watch him do his shit. And I am wondering still, can I use the pellets that I am so accustomed to outdoors on my indoor grow with AN? Cheers gentlemen, ladies.

~Skunk

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: BluntguY 207]
    #710048 - 01/27/14 10:09 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Everytime I hear someone talk about AN it goes like this;

"Their shit is way too expensive, and they have too many damn products! They must think we're idiots trying to make us buy 15 different bottles of shit!  Oh and also I have the dankest, heaviest nugs I've ever grown using their stuff."

:shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleSacajaGanja
Beer
Male

Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #710050 - 01/27/14 10:11 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:

"Their shit is way too expensive, and they have too many damn products! They must think we're idiots trying to make us buy 15 different bottles of shit!  Oh and also I have the dankest, heaviest nugs I've ever grown using their stuff."

As far as I am concerned, price should NOT be an issue... Do you want a superior product, or would you rather an inferior. I just have not worked with AN indoors.

~Skunk

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: SacajaGanja] * 1
    #710052 - 01/27/14 10:14 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

SacajaGanja said:
Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:

As far as I am concerned, price should NOT be an issue... Do you want a superior product, or would you rather an inferior. I just have not worked with AN indoors.

~Skunk

price does not dictate a superior product.

InvisibleSacajaGanja
Beer
Male

Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: CrushNazT] * 1
    #710053 - 01/27/14 10:16 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Look up a few posts, you will see I agree. But I think we can all agree on the fact that we all... Want a superior product.

~Skunk

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: SacajaGanja]
    #710054 - 01/27/14 10:20 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Absolutely. Price doesn't mandate a superior product, but it actually is a fairly consistent indicator, albeit not a hard law. AN however gets amazing reviews from everyone who tries it, and terrible reviews from everyone who hasn't because of the price.

--------------------

InvisibleSacajaGanja
Beer
Male

Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #710056 - 01/27/14 10:23 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Absolutely. Price doesn't mandate a superior product, but it actually is a fairly consistent indicator, albeit not a hard law. AN however gets amazing reviews from everyone who tries it, and terrible reviews from everyone who hasn't because of the price.

Haha makes sense, unfortunately their are those who do not wish to spend the extra few bucks :goodluckwiththat2: What nutrient line do you use if I may ask for my future indoor grows as I am newer to indoor than I have been for years outdoors. Thank you TC,

~Skunk

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #710064 - 01/27/14 11:08 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

My best successes have been with The lucas formula in hempy buckets (you literally can't fuck it up). But Canna also makes amazing products. Once again, not much cheaper than AN

--------------------

OfflineBluntguY 207
That Guy
 User Gallery

Loc: North East Coast Flag
    #710117 - 01/27/14 03:40 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:

Ive noticed the same thing!!

--------------------
"Self sufficient medical marijuana patient"

"I should be sponsered by Swisher Sweets":gethigh:

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#710163 - 01/27/14 07:43 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I've been reading a lot of good things about people just using J R Peters - Jack's Classic all purpose + Blossom booster. Certainly seems good for yield. I've yet to find anyone say anything bad about their chemical? fertilizer.

If I had the money I'd try house and garden, canna or Bio Nova.

InvisibleSacajaGanja
Beer
Male

#710213 - 01/28/14 09:01 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
My best successes have been with The lucas formula in hempy buckets (you literally can't fuck it up). But Canna also makes amazing products. Once again, not much cheaper than AN

Good stuff, I will probably stick with what I am doing for a while and then perhaps I will switch it up in the future, we both seemed to have had similar results, Cheers.

~Skunk

OfflinePharmerFrank
Stranger
    #710246 - 01/28/14 03:49 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Your correct in that the ph was found to be all over the place they came out with the uprising powders which seems to help out with the ph induced yellowing we have added CaMg to our grow with good results. It is not a well rounded fertilizer, as it stands it needs help.

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: PharmerFrank]
    #710763 - 01/31/14 07:21 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I think I'd read that botanicare uses water as it's main ingredient. If no one mentioned that.

FloraNova actually looks like it'd be better than most of the bottled nutrient lines. I'd not heard of lucas formula till this threa, but apparently lucas uses floranova now(at least a couple years ago). I wonder if lucas has tried anything besides GH

Could always go DIY organic and use bat guano, worm casings, bone, blood, feather meal, soft rock phosphate, greensand, alfalfa, and some fish and kelp and maybe azomite. I know earthjuice is opne of if not the closest to being a real organic bottled nutrient company btw.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #710770 - 01/31/14 08:35 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Earth Juice is organic, but organic is really not necessary OR better.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: Midgetpawn] * 2
    #710771 - 01/31/14 08:41 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Every liquid nutrient has water as its main ingredient, its the solvent, the nutrients are its solute.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #710803 - 01/31/14 03:12 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
Every liquid nutrient has water as its main ingredient, its the solvent, the nutrients are its solute.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#710842 - 01/31/14 07:48 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Yea that occurred to me after writing this, but I'd read(I think on growery) that Botanicare supposedly has excessive amounts of water in their forumlas.

I know liquid karma is a good catalyst to have though.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #710864 - 01/31/14 10:59 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Nah man.  Botanicaire is a great system. 

I've tried a whole lot of nute brands.  From Bio-Bizz to Flornova to Roots.  And I keep going back to Botanicaire.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#710879 - 02/01/14 05:00 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Yea maybe they are no more watered down than the other top liquid nutrient brands. I really have no idea. BTW all bio-bizz's products have (discontinued) next to them on amazon.

All I know is I'm having a hard time choosing a nutrient line to try out/compare and you can pretty much eliminate them all if you use opinion to decide. I'm about to just support some small underdog company like blue planet or maverick sun.

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

#710882 - 02/01/14 07:23 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

im really loving botanicare. i havent burned a plant yet, everything has been loving it. its really easy to use. what i find interesting is not only do i not burn the plants with either grow or bloom, but theres no deficiencies. the leaves are all a beautiful green.

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: CrushNazT]
    #710883 - 02/01/14 07:39 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Here are my nute. I use. I went to the hydrostore and got some free samples of this root stuff? Anyone know what its for and should I try it or  not?:confused:

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #710914 - 02/01/14 03:12 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I think uprising foundation is calcium and magnesium, maybe more. My understanding of the uprising 3 part is that it's meant to be added as a top or side dressing to roots organics main nutrient line. In hydro I have no clue.

Btw I've been looking at this company Blue planet more, and their organic line has all the best organic ingredients, and only organic ingredients. A lot of other companies leave stuff out or put uneeded stuff in their "organic" lines. I don't know anything about their non organic nutrients, but they claim to refund your money if they don't out perform all other nutrients. I'm starting lean tward blue planet to try.

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

#710929 - 02/01/14 03:56 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Midgetpawn said:
I don't know anything about their non organic nutrients, but they claim to refund your money if they don't out perform all other nutrients.

you're going to have to prove that it didnt out perform all other nutrients before you get your money back. good luck doing that lol

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#710933 - 02/01/14 04:19 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

haha well that was just paraphrasing. "Try our nutrients and you will not be disappointed. We offer a 100% money back guarantee if you are not satisfied in any way." is what they say. They claim to have spent a lot of time finding the highest quality raw materials. I'm sure most of these mineral based nutrient lines are mostly the same ingredients. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the big name nutrient brands buy ultra cheap bulk ingredients to maximize profit.

One of these companies should really just straight up make a cannabis fertilizer line that talks about being for and has specific directions for cannabis.

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

#710934 - 02/01/14 04:24 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

i ignore what companies say about their products. the best way to figure it out is to see whats tried and true. see what other people use. i switched to botanicare when i moved to colorado after i saw my friends grow in denver. amazing 50+ plant grow. the final product was amazing, so i was sold. zero complaints with it.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: Midgetpawn] * 1
    #710942 - 02/01/14 05:07 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Midgetpawn said:

One of these companies should really just straight up make a cannabis fertilizer line that talks about being for and has specific directions for cannabis.

You know Advanced Nutrients does that, right? And honestly that's why they get such consistently stellar reviews (from people that have used it). It's made specifically for cannabis, and honestly it shows.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #710945 - 02/01/14 05:18 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Well they're all specifically designed for cannabis.  They just don't advertise it as such.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: Hawksresurrection] * 1
    #710947 - 02/01/14 05:47 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, but AN does advertise it as such.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #710948 - 02/01/14 05:48 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Totally

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #710951 - 02/01/14 05:50 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Although I did see a review on Amazon last night for An Big Bud that made me laugh. "Well, I do know specifically what this is for.... but it also grows INCREDIBLE actual tomatoes and peppers."

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #710952 - 02/01/14 05:50 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

:loldongs:

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#710972 - 02/01/14 09:06 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Midgetpawn said:
I think uprising foundation is calcium and magnesium, maybe more. My understanding of the uprising 3 part is that it's meant to be added as a top or side dressing to roots organics main nutrient line. In hydro I have no clue.

Btw I've been looking at this company Blue planet more, and their organic line has all the best organic ingredients, and only organic ingredients. A lot of other companies leave stuff out or put uneeded stuff in their "organic" lines. I don't know anything about their non organic nutrients, but they claim to refund your money if they don't out perform all other nutrients. I'm starting lean tward blue planet to try.

Wonder how ,or if I should try it ?

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #710983 - 02/02/14 01:08 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

still they are wink wink "plant" nutrients. Even canna doesn't mention cannabis and they are just missing the bis in their company name.

Idk I'm not making serious conversation. I just think if these brands are formulated for cannabis then why not say it instead of hinting it.

as for that uprising stuff... just add a tiny bit to your feeding mix and see if anything bad happens -shrug- I know weed likes cal and mag.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: Midgetpawn] * 1
    #710995 - 02/02/14 08:23 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Canna is a type of flower :wink: and were growing flowers... get it?

If you specifically say your nutrients are made for bud then you are conspiring with the grower to break federal laws.  Advanced Nutrients has had problems in the past by saying they're for bud, so they started advertising it more on the down low. Their website should not have anything about cannabis, unless its changed in the last few years.

Just like how Tommy Chong got busted for selling smoking equipment, they can be bitches if you specifically say its for something illegal. "its not a bong, its a chong" but bong being a marijuana inhalation device vs Water pipe, is a 'tobacco' pipe. If you said the B-word in a glass shop 10 years ago you'd risk getting kicked out, gotta ask to see that "water pipe." One of the local glass shops enforces the no B-word policy, the other is run by a stoner who has no concern for the old ways, even starting up bud conversations with customers. Obviously Chong's case was a bit more complicated than that, but its all about INTENT.

Edit: I found one thing about cannabis on the AN "about" page. "We have been at the biggest medical and general marijuana events." Thats it.

--------------------

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: phychotron] * 1
    #711034 - 02/02/14 02:30 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Yea I guess it's a legal thing, and mostly an issue of not being able to sell to all markets. Still I think a product like THC Booster or a CBD Booster would probably sell a lot. Not sure what's in these hypothetical thc and cbd boosters.

Oh by the way if anyone is trying to go true organic, that company blue planet nutrients 3 part organic nutrient line has every actual organic ingredient that TheREV suggests using for cannabis in his true living organics book, while all the other "organic" nutrient lines either only have half the ingredients or they have pseudo organic ingredients. The companies website also has all links to marijuana reform websites as it suggested links. I don't work for that company or the rev btw and actually think they should advertise on this site.

Cannabis Grow + Bloom
Marijuana Bud Booster?

Happy black history month. I personally will be celebrating with any of the big mommas house series.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #711043 - 02/02/14 03:13 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

They have a lot of restrictions for labeling nutrients, making it hard to even claim your product does anything. Advanced Nutrients and Oregon have a long history of labeling disputes, as well as with other states. Its why a lot of product information is so vague; it cost to much to get government approval of actual claims. Its because the department of agriculture is really strict from people selling snake oil to farmers back in the day.

You can pretty much figure that most all of the liquid nutrients out there are geared toward cannabis to begin with, so you don't really need them to say it. It also makes your brand less universal for that random actual tomato gardener who might pass on it.

Its just a matter of time before they put actual pot plants on the bottle, not just the semi pot resembling leaf you see on a bunch out there.

Advanced already markets to you the way that you want, big bud, overdrive, bud candy, etc.

I see that they have a product now called Kushie Kush that is being promoted as a medical-bud specific nutrient. They must be getting more ballsy as medical laws are progressing.

--------------------

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#711070 - 02/02/14 06:13 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Interesting. I see even small companies putting things like O.G. in front of their names with no explained significance of the OG. Of course people assume and are probably right.

I get the impression it's not easy distributing nutrients around the world. I think I'd try for a name loophole and claim my nutrients are based on my buddy Marijuana's formula and make "Marijuana's A and B formula" heh idk

btw I wasn't attacking anyone with my black history month comment. I think the idea of a month to showcase a few notable people that have a certain skin color is a little degrading and promotes the idea that "you are different" and only deserve a month of patronage.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #711101 - 02/02/14 09:10 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

This country has wronged black people for so long that they need to raise awareness to the social cruelties set upon them as well as their cultural influence. The achievements of the few refute the traditional held belief that blacks are in fact inferior and are therefor showcased as what is possible if they are allowed to assimilate into white society.  Black history all year would just drown out the issue; once a year allows you to revisit the issue safely, but time and again so that your opinion matures with you. The entire month almost ensures that you think about the issue at least once.

But lets not get too off topic here, there are other forums for that sort of discussion.

I'm sure one day there will be a product like Miracle Grow for bud just like they have one for tomatoes, its just a matter of time before its legal enough for someone to do it.

--------------------

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #711328 - 02/03/14 04:42 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Dude, you're awesome. You make so many good points here I can no longer remain silent on this issue.
Quote:

Midgetpawn said:
Yea that occurred to me after writing this, but I'd read(I think on growery) that Botanicare supposedly has excessive amounts of water in their forumlas.

Quote:

Midgetpawn said:
Yea maybe they are no more watered down than the other top liquid nutrient brands. I really have no idea. BTW all bio-bizz's products have (discontinued) next to them on amazon.

All I know is I'm having a hard time choosing a nutrient line to try out/compare and you can pretty much eliminate them all if you use opinion to decide. I'm about to just support some small underdog company like blue planet or maverick sun.

What many people don't realize when they buy ANY LIQUID nutrients is that you are basically buying BOTTLED WATER! These nutrient companies make a base nutrient, MIX WITH WATER (just like Kool-Aid but you mix that at home), and sell it in the hydro store. Why you ask? Ask the guy who started selling bottled water. Water is cheap.

Ever notice that most solid(powdered) nutrients have a parallel liquid line? Wonder why most liquid nutrients do not have a parallel solid line? Because it's more profitable to sell water. 'They' (grow stores and nutrient companys) both know this and want you to think, "Well this works for my buddy and it's 'tuned' for my plant so since it costs more money it must work better, right?" The whole "You get what you pay for, argument?"

Sounds more like a sales pitch to me.

Quote:

CrushNazT said:
i ignore what companies say about their products. the best way to figure it out is to see whats tried and true. see what other people use. i switched to botanicare when i moved to colorado after i saw my friends grow in denver. amazing 50+ plant grow. the final product was amazing, so i was sold. zero complaints with it.

The first part of this is spot on, the second part is exactly what I'm talking about. To an extent.

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Quote:

Midgetpawn said:

You know Advanced Nutrients does that, right? And honestly that's why they get such consistently stellar reviews (from people that have used it). It's made specifically for cannabis, and honestly it shows.

So do these guys. The Growology System. It's a 3-part complete nutrient regimen designed specifically for medical cannabis. It's a combination of organic and non-organic ingredients and it works great! I want to be clear that this IS NOT what I use in my grow.

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Well they're all specifically designed for cannabis.  They just don't advertise it as such.

They are? I thought they were all specifically designed for growing plants. How many people use the General Hydro 3-part Flora Series? Tuned for cannabis? Would you be surprised to know that the GH Flora Series grows many of the greenhouse peppers and tomatoes (and an ass-load of other hydroponic vegetables) that you buy in your local supermarket, or the flowers you give your Mom on Mothers day? Just saying, maybe they're not so much designed for growing cannabis as growing plants.

Quote:

phychotron said:
You can pretty much figure that most all of the liquid nutrients out there are geared toward cannabis to begin with, so you don't really need them to say it. It also makes your brand less universal for that random actual tomato gardener who might pass on it.

Oh yeah they are! It's easy to sell water to someone with cottonmouth. What a crock. When was the last time the guy at the hydro store tried to sell you solid(powdered) nutrients? Anyone?

Why can't you grow plants with things you find at a garden store or greenhouse. I mean after all, when you step back and look at it you're just growing plants. It's not too complicated. I'm sure many of you have a friend or family member with a real vegetable garden. Do their corn, peas, tomatoes, etc., taste like crap because they used garden store nutrients or forgot to flush their soil? Did their flowers not bloom because they had deficiencies and had to run to the garden store to buy $100 gallon or $30 quart(it gets worse) of nutrients? Not likely.

I worked at a family farm and greenhouse for years. We grew so many different kinds of flowers, fruits and vegetables it would make your head spin, multiple directions. There were a couple of different fertilizer formulations that were used for an entire 600 acre farm and greenhouse. All of them fit in 8ft. worth of space. None of them were $30 quarts or $100 gallons. No one ever came back and said, "My flowers died" or "My carrots taste like crap."  Think about that the next time you're in the hydro store spending your paycheck on nutrients.

I know someone who grows with liquid "grow store" nutrients and I personally do not. I gave him some clones. Mine are clearly doing much better than his by a long shot, it's not even a contest. And to top it off, the clones I gave him are the best looking plants he has overall.  He's convinced that his end product is going to be better than mine because his have never had a deficiency so far. What he doesn't understand is his plants aren't growing fast enough to have a deficiency. He's going to have to veg almost twice as long to get the same size plant.

Growers routinely convince themselves that since they're paying a premium price for their nutrients that they will get a premium product despite the evidence they see in front of their face. Personally, I don't need fire-breathing dragons sexy pin-up girls or fancy photo-shopped lightning bolts and shiny labels to grow weed. P.T. Barnum said, "A sucker is born every minute."

"You get what you pay for" and "You got to spend money to make money" is a sales pitch. You don't make money by overpaying for something. You make money by working.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #711337 - 02/03/14 06:34 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

They are designed for it.  That's a fact.  Of course you can use any of these products to grow other plants, and I do.  But that doesn't mean that companies specializing in these lines aren't designing them for MJ.  I mean look at miracle grow, that shit works great for some plants, but you will get an inferior product applying it to MJ.

And of course the powders are a more economical way to go.  But liquid is a whole lot easier.  Especially for newbies.  Shit a lot of people have enough trouble with figuring out what the fuck to do with the bottled stuff.

You make some valid points, but they're not entirely true.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#711409 - 02/04/14 06:28 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Heh I have no idea if you are being a dick or not, Drgreenthumb, but I don't claim to be a source of expert information nor am I even 100% sure of anything especially when it comes to growing plants. I try to make that clear if I give advice. I mostly am trying to learn and bullshit.    Or thank you? btw did you start the seed company Dr Greenthumb?

and yea you really shouldn't need any of these bottled liquids or additives to grow successfully. It's not like the average gardener is using more than miracle grow. My dad has only ever grown with 1 bag of miracle grow(fuck MG since Monsanto owns them) and his plants were always huge with some great smelling sticky shit. A little airy, but I think it was the t12 lights.

Anyway, yea since there was no consensus and I've been shopping my ass off. My speculative suggestion is Blue Planet Nutrients. At least I'm buying this shit based on a few things Vs a ton of other nutrient lines that I spent a lot of time considering and looking into. I briefly talked to the creator who seems to genuinely care about offering the highest quality nutrients, he has a masters in plant science from texas a&m. His lines feeding schedule is just 2-3 part main nutriens, a mycorrhizae thing, a vitamin mix(he lists all his ingredients in all his shit), seaweed, and 2 bloom boosters(1-3-3 with micronutrients and 2-4-10 no micronutrients).

As for the 2 bloom booster, which you don't even need and could just use more of their flowering main nutrient, they say this.. I'd never heard this before, but it's not a sales gimmick and based on research according to the creator.

"Once a plant has fully transitioned into the flowering phase, and bud site development is maximized, a bloom booster with a 1:4 ratio of elemental phosphorus to elemental potassium is needed to produce more structurally sound buds (dense bud formation throughout the calyx cluster). After the first half of the flower phase, growers should begin transitioning to a lower phosphorus (P) / higher potassium (K) bloom booster. Elevated levels of phosphorus are no longer needed to maximize development of bud sites but elevated levels of potassium is necessary to plump and harden buds and maximize the yield of high-value plants.  Although Potassium does not form a structural part of any plant component or compound, It is required for various metabolic activities and physiological functions. It is agreed throughout the plant science community that elevated levels of potassium are unequivocally required for maximum yield of flowering plants."

or if you are broke Jack's classic 20-20-20 and 10-30-20 is supposed to do the trick for bud.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #711439 - 02/04/14 10:46 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

You'll find every company jives about how their PK formula is the real correct ratio. And its never a sales pitch, its all based on "research" :wink:

Nutrients are not that expensive, my last crop cost $2.42 per ounce in nutrients, with $0.79/Oz in base nutrients. Its not that I don't know that its cheaper to build my own nutrients, its just that the pain in the ass of setting up my own nutrient line, and not worth it when liquid nutrients are that cheap.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #711443 - 02/04/14 11:19 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

That's really the thing. People can complain about $100/gallons all they want, but when you're growing a plant that literally sells for upwards of $3000 per lb (don't sell drugs, mmkay?), the investment is hilariously small beans. A $45 liter of Big Bud seems asinine, but it lasts me for 3 harvests of 2lbs each. That's almost literally no money at all at that point.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #711518 - 02/04/14 04:20 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

You'll find that a lot of products are priced toward the intended application. For Example, in Walmart they had the EXACT same knife sharpener in the outdoor section for $6 as the kitchen section for $25, just a different color. Trying to sell an outdoor/camping sharpener that your going to use occasionally is harder to sell for $25, but they might sell you a kitchen sharpener that you'll use all the with no problem.

Millions of things are packaged and marketed differently because of it. They charge you for application when they know what your going to do with it. Chemicals especially since those are harder to figure out which one you might need to replace it with if they just called it "windex" or something like that. If you know the base ingredients they're a lot cheaper because there is no specific application they can jack you for.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #711522 - 02/04/14 04:37 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Its everything, even the paper cup-cake liners. They sell them both in the plastic bag aisle and baking section at different prices and different qty per package so that you have a hard time trying to figure out which one is cheapest per count. Anything that is sold in multiple places throughout the store are most vulnerable: multi-department = multi-packaging = multi-pricing. Seriously, watch out.

Sometimes whole stores are dedicated to specific application, such as hydro stores, but they wouldn't be able to stay in business if they sold the base nutrient powders at rock bottom prices. You'd get your 50lb bags of nutrients that would last you 20 years and never come back. It has to be worth their time to make it and sell it, and therefor must require a profit. The multiple product lines ensures competition so that prices don't get too out of hand. Plus paying a company to develop nutrients and keep up with the current science is worth it.

It really comes down to how much your time is worth or how large of an operation you have. Is it worth the time and space to mix and store all these chemicals around your house? If you have a commercial size operation then its probably worth it to mix your own, but I live in an apartment, I can't just keep a bunch of raw ingredients around. I'm really glad that I can just hand someone $2.50 per ounce for the nutrients to be mixed up and guaranteed to perform, tested for quality, etc. I don't want to come home after a long day and think "OK lets bust out some chemistry real quick then I can finally get to bed."

It seems like it would be fun to learn and do, and probably not THAT hard if your situated for it, but its so hard to break a good system to experiment with saving $30-40 every few months. My time is worth more than that at this point.

--------------------

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#711561 - 02/04/14 08:25 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

well i spent about $32 for my gallon of botanicare cns17 grow and another $32 for my cns17 bloom and my last grow i used about 1/3rd of the grow and half of the bloom , so it really was not that bad of a price for what i got out of it so far

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Re: The Preferred Nutrient Solution of The Growery Community 2013. [Re: phychotron] * 1
    #711626 - 02/05/14 06:17 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
its so hard to break a good system to experiment with saving $30-40 every few months. My time is worth more than that at this point.

Exactly :thumbup:  Time is money!

We actually sell 2 powder based nutrient lines at the shop I work at. Our most popular powder nutrient is Raw by NPK Industries.

They make a pretty solid line. anyone here considering switching to powdered nutes should consider giving them a try!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order