Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejimmy_james
Stranger

Difficulty germinating seeds
    #685236 - 09/14/13 11:49 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Hi ladies and gents.

A bit of a noob here, and I have done a fair bit of research on the forums before posting, but I can't find an answer.

I got some seeds a few weeks ago. I initially used the paper-towel method between two saucers. After nine days of nuttin I began to think the temp was too low (ceramic plates/saucers stay fairly cool). I put the seeds in a cup of water (they all sank to the bottom so I'm assuming they are viable) and kept them in the dark for 24 hours here and 24 hours there, trying to get them to pop. No luck.

I moved the seeds into a plastic zip-lock bag in their damp paper towel, wrapped it in a brown paper bag, and put it under a warm lamp. The temp raised and it stayed nice and humid in the bag, and after two days one of the seeds began to show a white taproot. However, after another two days, the taproot has not emerged any further and the other seeds still seem no closer to germination.

It's about 11 days since I began the process, and this seems a little too long for them to not be germinating. Any thoughts or advice out there fellow Groweryites?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Difficulty germinating seeds [Re: jimmy_james]
    #685237 - 09/14/13 11:51 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

My guess, they aren't viable.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinejimmy_james
Stranger

Re: Difficulty germinating seeds [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #685241 - 09/15/13 01:08 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks hawksapprentice. I was thinking that could be the case. Oh well, fingers crossed the heat and humidity might spark them in the next day or two, otherwise it's back to the drawing board.

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: Difficulty germinating seeds [Re: jimmy_james]
    #685915 - 09/21/13 03:13 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Sometimes the shell is too thick. There's the scuff and swirl method(it's not called that but I forget the method name) where you put seeds in a small box lined with sand paper and shake them for a few minutes to thin out the shell then re soak them in paper towels.

I just read this somewhere and have no experience with it. I wouldn't toss them. At least let them soak longer IMO. I've had seeds from other plants not grow then dried out and a few months later I soaked them again and they sprouted.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies