Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekupa trooper

Germinating seeds
    #193297 - 02/08/09 11:44 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I have a few seeds I want to start. I plan on getting some fox farm ocean forest potting soil and a couple of trays.

I am wondering if I could germinate some seeds under two 18 inch floros with cool white bulbs?

Also how long can I keep them under the floros before I have to bud them? I will be getting a 400w HPS soon but I would like to get the seeds started and ready to go in the box

Any help would be great thanks
Kupa

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejohnnyblaze2316
mr.
Male
Re: Germinating seeds [Re: kupa trooper]
    #193300 - 02/08/09 12:07 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

2 tubes are fine....... but look into CFL's or a small mh, starting from seed, you cannot flower them until they show pre-flowers, which i have waited over 2 mos to see and as fast as just under 4 weeks. i reccomnd growing out a mommy and flowering from clones.

--------------------
CALIFORNIA PROP 215 MEDICINAL CANNABIS PATIENT!!!

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Germinating seeds [Re: johnnyblaze2316]
    #193320 - 02/08/09 02:20 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Johnnys right, the tubes are fine to germinate with. I would move them under the HPS as soon as the second set of true leaves form.

As far as flowering time goes, you can flower a pot plant as soon as the growth changes from opposite to alternate branching,  before pre-flowers show usually.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Offlinejohnnyblaze2316
mr.
Male
Re: Germinating seeds [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #193486 - 02/08/09 11:37 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Dr. Penguin said:
As far as flowering time goes, you can flower a pot plant as soon as the growth changes from opposite to alternate branching,  before pre-flowers show usually.

i personally have never attempted or seen this, but my understanding is that this practice will stress the plant extremey, causing hermaphodites and "weak" growth and overall flowering time WILL NOT be shortened.....but mayby penguin has seen this, either first hand or personally, and if so, penguin, please tell me more. i thought preflowers show us the plant is sexually mature and able to produce the hormones needed for strong flower production??? like puberty......?
i know your a smart guy.......so im curious.

--------------------

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Germinating seeds [Re: johnnyblaze2316]
    #193553 - 02/09/09 11:26 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Actually, plants go through many changes as they mature; only a couple of which are changes in branch structure and pre-flower formation. I use the change in branch patterns only because it is the first sign to appear in my experience.

As for the negative side effects of premature flowering, other than the fact that the plant is smaller in comparison to one that vegged longer, I don't really believe there are any worth noting. For instance, my last grow I flowered my seedlings after being in the soil for 2.5 weeks because I wanted to find a mother and yield wasn't a huge issue. When I was relegated to micro growing, I used to routinely go to 12/12 after even shorter periods of veg time.

While you are correct that it is possibly stressful to the plant, I have never encountered a plant that couldn't handle it. (if I do, it will be culled anyway for weakness :cutoff:) In general plants that are pre-sexual maturity do not respond to the 12/12 cycle as quickly as a mature plant, but in no way does it take as long as waiting for maturity to begin flowering.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Offlinejohnnyblaze2316
mr.
Male
    #193568 - 02/09/09 02:10 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

hmmmmm, thanks man:thumbup:....interesting, mayby ill try it someday ......no hurry though...lol

--------------------

Invisibletravelleler
New and used cannabis seeds!!!

#210006 - 03/29/09 03:30 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

how long will it take seeds to germinate??  I've planted mine and been waiting about 3 days.  The nights have been staying cold so I've left the light on 24/0 and temps in the bottom of the cab get down to about 65F.  I put a heat mat in last night.  am still waiting.  I planted three seeds directly into potting soil in 1-lite pots.  So maybe they just were too cold for the first couple days...??  I don't know because I've planted seeds before (in warmer climates) and seen them sprout overnight!!  :confused::confused::confused::confused: :mushroomgrow::confused:

--------------------
So, in summation: The CIA, with a little help from the Nazis, accidentally helped invent hippies while they were trying to figure out how to brainwash communists.

Pour that on your granola and eat it, you zombie pinko bastards!"

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

Loc: your momma's house
Re: Germinating seeds [Re: travelleler]
    #210145 - 03/29/09 08:52 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Did you scarrify or soak the seeds beforehand? That speeds things up. Give it more time bro. It can take a solid week or more.

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

Invisibletravelleler

Re: Germinating seeds [Re: ethnoguy]
    #210476 - 03/30/09 04:09 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

no I didn't rough them up at all--  the idea of doing that makes me nervous and since this isn't a hydro garden I just stuck them in the dirt.  Thanks for the encouragment ! ! !

--------------------
So, in summation: The CIA, with a little help from the Nazis, accidentally helped invent hippies while they were trying to figure out how to brainwash communists.

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

#210545 - 03/30/09 08:15 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Next time scarrify and/or soak for 18 to 24 hours. Anymore than 24 hrs and they can drown. It has nothing to do with hydro. GL and keep us posted.

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

Invisibletravelleler

#210551 - 03/30/09 08:23 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I just went and had a peek at them and one has popped up after 5 days of being in moist soil.  I'm certain the others are not far behind.  The temps in there are up to about 80-85F so I think that is helping.  A couple nights ago it was very cold and so I'm sure that slowed things down a bit... :thumbup: thanks for the tip!!  :cheers:

--------------------

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

#210552 - 03/30/09 08:26 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah np. And I always have a couple that take 10-14 days to come up. I rarely use those because they often lack vigor.

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

Invisibletravelleler

#210624 - 03/31/09 08:35 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

RIGHT ON!!  :omgawesome: All the others popped up this morning so no worries!!  I have White Satin by Mandala and A.M.S. (Fem) by Green House...  :omgawesome:

--------------------

Offlinerakipo
Stranger
Re: Germinating seeds [Re: kupa trooper]
    #439136 - 06/29/10 03:35 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

youre 16 years old and you cannot take care of the seeds properly anyways. why dont you go invest in some video games and wait a couple years.

--------------------
Everything I say or post is 100% authentic. I am an outlaw and I do many illegal things. I am proud of them all.

OfflineLucid
Monster Plant Creator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada-ish. Flag
Re: Germinating seeds [Re: rakipo]
    #439623 - 06/29/10 10:34 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Awesome job dude, That kid is totally going to check this YEAR OLD THREAD. :facepalm: come on man don't be posting in treads that are a year old.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies