Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   OlympusMyco.com CVG Mushroom Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
OfflineeNtranceAsexit
Bang-a-Bang-Boogie

THE SOOOO-CIOOOOOL-OGYYY THHHREEEAAAD!!!1
    #559742 - 05/30/11 04:57 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

this thread is simple, for now... :uptosomething:
post what you think ails society, and what we could do away with... or post what you think we could do with FOR society and what prevails in it, that you think is good for it.

"here he comes to save the daaaay!!!"

Edited by eNtranceAsexit (05/30/11 05:04 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesmurf_master
Master Smurf

Loc: Everywhere Flag
Re: THE SOOOO-CIOOOOOL-OGYYY THHHREEEAAAD!!!1 [Re: eNtranceAsexit]
    #560114 - 05/31/11 09:02 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Religion and cigarettes.

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: THE SOOOO-CIOOOOOL-OGYYY THHHREEEAAAD!!!1 [Re: smurf_master] * 2
    #560181 - 05/31/11 11:45 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Laws should only be made restricting behavior which directly affects the quality of life or privacy of individuals.  Laws should not be made regarding behavior which only affects the individual.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

OfflineeNtranceAsexit
Bang-a-Bang-Boogie

Re: THE SOOOO-CIOOOOOL-OGYYY THHHREEEAAAD!!!1 [Re: THEBats]
    #560184 - 05/31/11 11:48 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

good call, my good sir@!

privacy is vsdtly inferior in these days, it's in much need for improvement.
that's a great place to start; now how does religion play into this? appearntly religions are still very much tied into politics, in most countries... if not all of them.

where do we go from where we are at now? with all the wars and that oogie stuff. :dizope:

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#560191 - 05/31/11 11:53 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Religion is a private affair.  Only when it directly interferes with someone's health or well being does it become a problem, like those who would refuse medical attention in favor of prayer.

As a social influence though it's no more something to be controlled than the marijuana movement.  As I've mentioned before though, it's a private affair.  One that doesn't belong in any public institution as a requirement for course completion.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

OfflineeNtranceAsexit
Bang-a-Bang-Boogie

#560193 - 05/31/11 11:55 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i agree accept for when polictics are involved... that's where most religious people should drop a line with thier "higher" being and say look, we'll see what YOU think.

politics... like you said, should be used to aid the privacy of ALL individuals.

continue on,... i am going to merc some demons in Heretic for a bit! :grin:

Offlinesmurf_master
Master Smurf

Re: THE SOOOO-CIOOOOOL-OGYYY THHHREEEAAAD!!!1 [Re: eNtranceAsexit] * 2
    #560339 - 05/31/11 03:47 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

If we are to progress as a society I think religion eventually needs to become obsolete. So many of the current debates and political issues stem from religious arguments. Abortion, stem cell research, gay marriage, etc. It's the 20th century and there are still groups that believe in the existence of a ever-present being who watches over them. Get real, I might as well believe in ra the sun god who travels across the sky with the sun upon his head in two boats.

I firmly believe religion has no place in modern society.

OfflineeNtranceAsexit
Bang-a-Bang-Boogie

Re: THE SOOOO-CIOOOOOL-OGYYY THHHREEEAAAD!!!1 [Re: smurf_master]
    #560345 - 05/31/11 03:59 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i think that religions are believed to be sacred for good reason and the people who are doing things in politics and in sociology, are abhorring the relationship with the religions, and sucking spirituality from it; dry.

i think it's because of people's idyllic manifestations of bullshit, is what needs to be abolished. the ideal that one reflects in all, is the ideal that one is God among all.

i believe one is but one God and their are several billion right now on this planet.

:smile:

Offlinemellowparty
Ribosome user

Loc: 3'-UTR Flag
    #560348 - 05/31/11 04:02 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

If we are to progress as a society I think religion christianity eventually needs to become obsolete. So many of the current debates and political issues stem from religious arguments. Abortion, stem cell research, gay marriage, etc.

:smirk:

Not all religions proclaim the existence of a god thang. In fact there are religions that deny the existence of a god and state that everything can be explained in terms of rational reasoning (e.g. via science and logical arguments). I think the whole god thing is a socio-cultural relic that has morphed into a mental symbiont. It gives the believer a false sense of security in exchange for supporting its existence. Pretty :durrhurr: material.

Thanks to psychedelics and especially +350ug LSD dosage I discovered the true meaning of spirituality. Now I'm somewhat fond of the Buddhist ideas.

Christianity and Islam are heavy :huxleyfacepalm: stuff. I think we would be better off without it. IMO the politics and religion (in the specified sense) are why society sucks. Laws should be based on scientific arguments.

As far as the drug war is concerned I love what A. Hofmann said. Something in the lines of 'instead of a war on drugs why not look into a drug that will end war' SO MUCH WIN in this statement :whoo:

--------------------

Offlinesmurf_master
Master Smurf

#560352 - 05/31/11 04:08 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

What if that all the god and religion dogma that has accumulated over the centuries, was merely due to visitors from another planet/galaxy/universe/reality. To me that sounds equally if not more plausible than any number of other religious beliefs.

OfflineManitou
Indépendantiste
Male User Gallery

Loc: Québecédelic
    #560353 - 05/31/11 04:09 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

smurf_master said:
If we are to progress as a society I think religion eventually needs to become obsolete. So many of the current debates and political issues stem from religious arguments. Abortion, stem cell research, gay marriage, etc. It's the 20th century and there are still groups that believe in the existence of a ever-present being who watches over them. Get real, I might as well believe in ra the sun god who travels across the sky with the sun upon his head in two boats.

I firmly believe religion has no place in modern society.

I totally do not agree with this, yes, religious arguments about things like that are totally retarded, but it doesn't mean religions needs to disappear, the only religions that causes trouble are monotheist religions (Christiannism, Judaism & Islam) They are the only one who will attempt to force people to join their religion, they are the one who will attempt to defend their arguments with religious bullshit, if you look at polytheism, it is totally different, it is a lifestyle, not a "religion", it is not separated from the other parts of their life. They live what they believe, like animism, they do not even doubt if the spirits are real or not, they live with them since they are born and they will never attempt to try to convert someone to their beliefs, they accept the other beliefs of the other cultures, for them it is just different points of view, it is not the only truth about the world. This might not work with Hinduism, it is a little bit different than other polytheists religions.

--------------------
Pour un instant, j'ai respiré très fort
Ça m'a permis de visiter mon corps
Des inconnus vivent en roi chez moi
Moi qui avait accepté leurs lois
J'ai perdu mon temps à gagner du temps
J'ai besoin de me trouver une histoire à me conter
Pour instant j'ai oublié mon nom
Harmonium - Pour un instant
--------------------------------------------

Offlinesmurf_master
Master Smurf

Re: THE SOOOO-CIOOOOOL-OGYYY THHHREEEAAAD!!!1 [Re: mellowparty]
    #560354 - 05/31/11 04:09 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

mellowparty said:
Laws should be based on scientific arguments.

Things would be so much better. I bet we'd even have our own personal jetpacks and blowjob robots by now.

OfflineeNtranceAsexit
Bang-a-Bang-Boogie

#560358 - 05/31/11 04:12 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

smurf_master said:
What if that all the god and religion dogma that has accumulated over the centuries, was merely due to visitors from another planet/galaxy/universe/reality. To me that sounds equally if not more plausible than any number of other religious beliefs.

and equally as far-fetched and thus-far unprovable.

isn't that sorta queer? like a religion? :grin:

Offlinesmurf_master
Master Smurf

#560366 - 05/31/11 04:15 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

All of it is queer. Exactly.

OfflineTangerines
Grease Wizard
Male

Re: THE SOOOO-CIOOOOOL-OGYYY THHHREEEAAAD!!!1 [Re: smurf_master] * 1
    #560368 - 05/31/11 04:17 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I think bonfires should be a law and I can do whatever so long as I only harm myself.  It would be like America on mescaline with a dash of coitus.  A man can dream. Don't shoot me bro.

OfflineSkatealex2
Stranger

Re: THE SOOOO-CIOOOOOL-OGYYY THHHREEEAAAD!!!1 [Re: Tangerines]
    #560373 - 05/31/11 04:19 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I think the war on drugs is stupid as hell.

Offlinesmurf_master
Master Smurf

Re: THE SOOOO-CIOOOOOL-OGYYY THHHREEEAAAD!!!1 [Re: Skatealex2]
    #560377 - 05/31/11 04:21 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Where do you draw the line for illegal drugs, legalize it all? Or just some of it.

OfflineeNtranceAsexit
Bang-a-Bang-Boogie

#560378 - 05/31/11 04:22 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

or maybe the thoughts of a few men weren't coherent with the formal consciousness of duality and their historical life's contents were taken out of context for everyone to follow blindly in the delusion of their balance with their unconscious and conscious minds?

leading to their belief that in oneness with one supreme being you are serving the greatest good, whilst at the same time not realizing that they are following a judging, non-perceiving mind, and are generally making up an illusions for themselves to carry?
Quote:

Tangerines said:
I think bonfires should be a law and I can do whatever so long as I only harm myself.  It would be like America on mescaline with a dash of coitus.  A man can dream. Don't shoot me bro.

this one is SO OBVIOUS, it's real :seriousbusiness:

that kinda shit is obliviously stupid... sorta liek...
Quote:

Skatealex2 said:
the war on drugs...

which IS stupid as hell, alex2.

OfflineeNtranceAsexit
Bang-a-Bang-Boogie

#560379 - 05/31/11 04:23 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

smurf_master said:
Where do you draw the line for illegal drugs, legalize it all? Or just some of it.

legalize it all... stop the import of the drugs into your country... and then grow your own weed and go to spain or south america to get your cocaine and heroin.

simple.

OfflineManitou
Indépendantiste
Male User Gallery

#560380 - 05/31/11 04:23 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

smurf_master said:

Legalize everything wouldn't be good idea at all, they should at least legalize unharmful drugs like weed & shrooms, but shit like heroin or anything that comes from opium shouldn't be legalized in my opinion, it would cause way too much trouble...

--------------------

OfflineeNtranceAsexit
Bang-a-Bang-Boogie

Re: THE SOOOO-CIOOOOOL-OGYYY THHHREEEAAAD!!!1 [Re: Manitou]
    #560383 - 05/31/11 04:25 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

maybe it would cause trouble...

maybe it would cause stability in a country where there are tons of users of drugs. all sorts of different drugs... what aobut thsoe people? they should go to jail?

Offlinesmurf_master
Master Smurf

#560387 - 05/31/11 04:29 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Gaskelort said:
Quote:

smurf_master said:

Legalize everything wouldn't be good idea at all, they should at least legalize unharmful drugs like weed & shrooms, but shit like heroin or anything that comes from opium shouldn't be legalized in my opinion, it would cause way too much trouble...

That's the problem too many people have different opinions about what is "safe", or "unharmful". Too many monotheistic people that are currently in the senate, congress, and white house.

OfflineManitou
Indépendantiste
Male User Gallery

#560391 - 05/31/11 04:35 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Yes that is a problem, but I really like the solution they ended up with in Netherlands, some drugs are still illegal.

For the drugs that I think that shouldn't be legalized, I mean mostly anything that comes from Opium, only because of the kind of dependency it creates.

--------------------

OfflineSkatealex2
Stranger

#560419 - 05/31/11 05:19 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Yea what the Netherlands did is good.

IMO they should decriminalize all or at least most drugs without question cause obviously arresting people isn't helping anything.  If someone gets caught doing crime on drugs that's it's own issue obviously.

Also I think US. should do a needle exchange program, it probably wouldn't pass with our current administration but I think ultimately that might be the best idea cause it keeps so called 'junkies' off the street and cuts down on the illegal trade, increased revenue, and less health care costs cause the drugs will safer and purer.  Plus conservatives may grow to like it cause you can't just buy heroin in any drug store.

Weed should obviously be legal IMO 100%, much safer than alcohol,none of the governments business, etc..............

Psychedelics should be legal but maybe there could be some kind of system where you have to get a license to use them or something.  As awesome as psychs are, certain people would probably take them just to get fucked up, lose their shit, and ruin it for everyone if they were widely available.

Offlinesmurf_master
Master Smurf

#560426 - 05/31/11 05:27 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Skatealex2 said:
Also I think US. should do a needle exchange program.

I had so much trouble tracking down a needle and tip, none of the pharmacies in my area would sell them to me without a prescription. I ended up having to go to the feed store and they I.D.'d me.

InvisibleBlueBerry_SwisherS
Heart Slowed

Loc: Raw Headspace Flag
    #560428 - 05/31/11 05:29 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Skatealex2 said:
Yea what the Netherlands did is good.

IMO they should decriminalize all or at least most drugs without question cause obviously arresting people isn't helping anything.  If someone gets caught doing crime on drugs that's it's own issue obviously.

Also I think US. should do a needle exchange program, it probably wouldn't pass with our current administration but I think ultimately that might be the best idea cause it keeps so called 'junkies' off the street and cuts down on the illegal trade, increased revenue, and less health care costs cause the drugs will safer and purer.  Plus conservatives may grow to like it cause you can't just buy heroin in any drug store.

Weed should obviously be legal IMO 100%, much safer than alcohol,none of the governments business, etc..............

Psychedelics should be legal but maybe there could be some kind of system where you have to get a license to use them or something.  As awesome as psychs are, certain people would probably take them just to get fucked up, lose their shit, and ruin it for everyone if they were widely available.

qft. I think there should be an age limit for marijuana use, as with all psychedelics.

--------------------

Let food be thy medicine

OfflineManitou
Indépendantiste
Male User Gallery

Re: THE SOOOO-CIOOOOOL-OGYYY THHHREEEAAAD!!!1 [Re: BlueBerry_Swisher]
    #560433 - 05/31/11 05:46 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah I totally agree with age limit, they should do something just like with alcohol system in my opinion.

--------------------

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
    #560436 - 05/31/11 05:49 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

If there's a problem, yo I'll solve it.

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

Re: THE SOOOO-CIOOOOOL-OGYYY THHHREEEAAAD!!!1 [Re: DungenessDank]
    #560437 - 05/31/11 05:50 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

No way man.

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Re: THE SOOOO-CIOOOOOL-OGYYY THHHREEEAAAD!!!1 [Re: King Koopa]
    #560439 - 05/31/11 05:52 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

If the best we can come up with is "Drugs should be legal" than why even have this piece of shit thread?

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

Re: THE SOOOO-CIOOOOOL-OGYYY THHHREEEAAAD!!!1 [Re: DungenessDank] * 1
    #560442 - 05/31/11 05:59 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Because that's the biggest problem american society faces today.

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Re: THE SOOOO-CIOOOOOL-OGYYY THHHREEEAAAD!!!1 [Re: King Koopa]
    #560444 - 05/31/11 06:03 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

We already invaded Afghanistan for their heroin reserves.

Offlinesmurf_master
Master Smurf

#560446 - 05/31/11 06:05 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Obama is a fiend. Always chasing the dragon.

OfflineManitou
Indépendantiste
Male User Gallery

#560448 - 05/31/11 06:06 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Oil & Heroin, the breakfast of the champion :Feelstrippyman:

--------------------

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Truthfully, I'm a bullshitter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greenbow, Alabama
    #560449 - 05/31/11 06:07 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

DungenessDank said:
If the best we can come up with is "Drugs should be legal" than why even have this piece of shit thread?

best thing i've heard in this thread so far :lol:

i've heard the "drugs should be legal" argument in like 20938502387502397850237853209578 threads on this site before.

--------------------

OfflineTangerines
Grease Wizard
Male

#560456 - 05/31/11 06:31 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

DungenessDank said:
If there's a problem, yo I'll solve it.

'Nilla?

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Re: THE SOOOO-CIOOOOOL-OGYYY THHHREEEAAAD!!!1 [Re: Tangerines]
    #560462 - 05/31/11 06:47 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it

OfflineeNtranceAsexit
Bang-a-Bang-Boogie

#560483 - 05/31/11 08:29 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

FarBeyondDriven said:
Quote:

DungenessDank said:

best thing i've heard in this thread so far :lol:

i've heard the "drugs should be legal" argument in like 20938502387502397850237853209578 threads on this site before.

good call. well, make threads involving you doing something then. :rolleyes:
this is why i don't really make threads... because i already know all this shit and it's already been said but if you GOD-FORBID ever want to talk about something like the WIDE span of topics that could be discussed in this thread, it's met with people like ... who think they have see nit all and they are so le tired... i am tired too... of BLABLBALBALBLAH
Quote:

DungenessDank said:

and you too. you can't do anything but bitch? listen here... joe... i am just fucking bored of this fucking board as you are... so get with the times... if you aren't hating your filthy stinky country (like mine) then WTF ARE you doing? jacking the ball, is what you're doing good sir. :snub:

OfflineeNtranceAsexit
Bang-a-Bang-Boogie

#560487 - 05/31/11 08:32 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

sorry, for preaching, but i thought that this actually might be good for the thread... this is sociology, after-all.

continue... Please.

OfflineBlazed as
Cooked
Male

Loc: Aussie Aussie Aussiee Flag
    #560561 - 06/01/11 01:28 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Well stop using oil entirely, we have enough natural sources of renewable energy to power the earth for ever.
Stop the war on terror, it's budget for one year could solve world hunger if used correctly.
Get rid of politics, they were good 100 years ago but today our problems are technical not political, we need to put science and technology in its place.
Get rid of all central banks, this system robs the middle class and benefits the 1% that controls 40% of the worlds wealth. It does not have to exist.
Better education, legalization of all drugs ( of course).
Start thinking about social issues such as crime, more logically, for example if we provide the necessities to all people no one would steal because they have what they need to survive.

haha my 2c

:grin:

--------------------
There is no human nature, only human behaviour. - Jacque Fresco

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Re: THE SOOOO-CIOOOOOL-OGYYY THHHREEEAAAD!!!1 [Re: Blazed as]
    #560607 - 06/01/11 07:13 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I think I can agree with the gist of what you say, but my implementation would be no doubt be different.

Quote:

If we provide the necessities to all people no one would steal because they have what they need to survive.

Doesn't Australia have a rather thriving welfare state? And isn't there still crime?

My point being, giving people stuff isn't going to stop crime, just create a sense of entitlement which can lead to worse economic and social problems.

Offlinesmurf_master
Master Smurf

#560675 - 06/01/11 11:18 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Nasa's budget for 2010 was 18.724 billion dollars. Instead of turning our eyes upwards we should first focus on fixing our own planet.

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

#560684 - 06/01/11 11:35 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

There is no way we can sustain our planet with our current rate of growth. We should be focusing on opportunities elsewhere in the galaxy, while reducing our population and extending the average human life. We can be stewards of the planet, but it is a fact that this planet will not exist forever. It would be nice if we had it in pristine condition but to say we should sacrifice space exploration first is dooming our species to die out with the planet.

A better source of capital could be cut from our "defense" budget.

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jawjuh.
    #560686 - 06/01/11 11:39 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

meh. our species is over rated

--------------------
:bonghit:
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Re: THE SOOOO-CIOOOOOL-OGYYY THHHREEEAAAD!!!1 [Re: NobodyImportant]
    #560688 - 06/01/11 11:50 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Maybe, but we've gone too far to not propagate and infest the cosmos.

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #560689 - 06/01/11 11:52 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I agree.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

Offlinesmurf_master
Master Smurf

Re: THE SOOOO-CIOOOOOL-OGYYY THHHREEEAAAD!!!1 [Re: NobodyImportant]
    #560691 - 06/01/11 11:55 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

It costs roughly 47,000 per year to incarcerate an inmate in prison in California.
$12,000 of that is health care. Life in prison is in my view a bandaid to the problem. We could save money if we implemented a death penalty and exterminated those with outstanding rap-sheets. Premeditated murder, kidnapping, child molestation.

As a side note on NASA, I agree that eventually our only option is to move outwards and colonize further, but the technology doesn't currently exist, so it seems kind of like a circle jerk.

Also. Tax churches and religion, and make the government more transparent.

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

#560719 - 06/01/11 12:38 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I'm skeptical of any government system that would 1) Decide what is and what isn't illegal, and 2) Exterminate those who don't abide by the rules.

Quote:

As a side note on NASA, I agree that eventually our only option is to move outwards and colonize further, but the technology doesn't currently exist, so it seems kind of like a circle jerk.

It arguable that we could achieve long term space travel currently, but it will in the not too distant future be more possible.

Quote:

and make the government more transparent.

I think we currently have a better chance at space colonization.

Offlinesmurf_master
Master Smurf

#560736 - 06/01/11 01:39 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

DungenessDank said:

It arguable that we could achieve long term space travel currently, but it will in the not too distant future be more possible.

Do you really think so? I mean we haven't had a manned mission to our own moon since 1972 (assuming we went), and that seems like the logical first step to terraforming or colonizing outer space.

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

#560738 - 06/01/11 01:45 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Right now the biggest barrier is that it would be a very long term investment of a lot of capital for few if any returns in the lifetime of said investors. Knowing this it would either have to be a public investment or a generational private investment that would be meant to benefit the offspring of their offspring.

Publicly right now there is no way to fund it, the money doesn't exist and the credit card is maxed out.

But there is hope coming from the private space flight industry. Currently they are setting their goals on low-orbit civilian travel, but I will predict with some certainty that they will play a vital role in the evolution of our space program. It's my position that privately funded space travel will be much more efficient and innovative than NASA/other publicly funded programs.

OfflineBlazed as
Cooked
Male

Loc: Aussie Aussie Aussiee Flag
    #560741 - 06/01/11 01:50 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Doesn't Australia have a rather thriving welfare state? And isn't there still crime?

My point being, giving people stuff isn't going to stop crime, just create a sense of entitlement which can lead to worse economic and social problems.

Yeah you are right, I probably should have gone into a bit more depth.
I was referring more to the 3 billion people who live on a dollar a day, robbing people for money to buy bread or clothes etc.

If we provided these sorts necessities they would not be out robbing/ stealing to get them.

--------------------
There is no human nature, only human behaviour. - Jacque Fresco

Offlinesmurf_master
Master Smurf

#560742 - 06/01/11 01:52 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

warren buffet should start a private moon resort.

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Re: THE SOOOO-CIOOOOOL-OGYYY THHHREEEAAAD!!!1 [Re: Blazed as]
    #560743 - 06/01/11 01:53 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

To a point you are absolutely correct. But just giving them necessities is only half the solution. Economic growth without foreign manipulation would greatly increase the standards of some of the poorest peoples lives.

I'm sure most would rather work than steal, given the opportunity.

Quote:

smurf_master said:
warren buffet should start a private moon resort.

:lol: Or even an orbiting hotel. Anything to get the ignorant public at large thinking about the possibilities.

Offlinesmurf_master
Master Smurf

#560750 - 06/01/11 02:07 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

DungenessDank said:
I'm sure most would rather work than steal, given the opportunity.

I think that a few generations would need to die out before the mentality can change. I was fortunate enough to spend some time in Africa doing volunteer work, but the crime is almost unbelievable. The police will jack you if given the chance. In a 3rd world country where the infrastructure isn't there to support healthy options, crime is the only option.

Quote:

DungenessDank said:
Or even an orbiting hotel. Anything to get the ignorant public at large thinking about the possibilities.

Galactic Suite Space Hotel To Open

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#560766 - 06/01/11 02:24 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

smurf_master said:
It costs roughly 47,000 per year to incarcerate an inmate in prison in California.
$12,000 of that is health care. Life in prison is in my view a bandaid to the problem. We could save money if we implemented a death penalty and exterminated those with outstanding rap-sheets. Premeditated murder, kidnapping, child molestation.

Also. Tax churches and religion, and make the government more transparent.

Interesting enough a lot of death penalty cases cost more than LWOP cases.  I say we put them to work.  Nothing too inhumane of course, but inmates who can spend their days lifting weights and playing basketball can certainly lay some roads.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

Offlinesmurf_master
Master Smurf

#560769 - 06/01/11 02:28 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

A 9mm round is about 25 cents. I don't agree with the current procedure.

I'd rather give the jobs to citizens who need them.

Edited by smurf_master (06/01/11 02:29 PM)

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#560773 - 06/01/11 02:33 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I'm not talking just about the actual execution but prosecuting a death penalty case as well.  Plus you have to hire a professional to perform such an execution, teams for disposing and sanitize where the inmate was executed ect.

We're well past the days of shooting people and dumping them in a ditch.  Besides, death is an easy way out for some of these people.

I know I would rather die than live a life in prison knowing I'll never see the outside world again.

And while there's citizens to do the work there's not always money to pay them. 

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

Edited by THEBats (06/01/11 02:38 PM)

Offlinesmurf_master
Master Smurf

#560783 - 06/01/11 02:47 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I feel you. But I look at cases where pedophiles and murderers have been released after serving their sentences, only to become repeat offenders, and think that there must be a better solution.

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#560787 - 06/01/11 02:56 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

True but at the same time I think in certain cases there should be room for rehabilitation.  Obviously it depends on the case and pedophilia is a mental condition, IMO, which can be treated in a variety of ways.  One involves a probe that stabs into the penis whenever an erection happens, which can condition the patient against sexual thoughts towards minors.  It all depends on the case, with pedophilia there's a strong link between sexual abuse as a child and one becoming a pedo later on.

Either way I think they should be closely monitored and tracked.  Some are too far gone but I believe some people deserve a chance to redeem themselves and others are victims of their environment as well as their mental stability.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

#560793 - 06/01/11 03:14 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I think pedophiles should be able to subject themselves to rehabilitation. Otherwise they have to go somewhere they won't be able to get to children. Otherwise it will eventually result in more abuse or their death. I don't believe just tracking pedophile does much to stop more abuse.

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#560799 - 06/01/11 03:54 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Well tracking and monitoring should only be included with rehabilitation, yes.  I think mental checkups should also be a part of the program.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

Offlinesmurf_master
Master Smurf

#560828 - 06/01/11 05:26 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

George Carlin had an amazing bit about putting all the real bad criminals in a square state like Wyoming and then video taping it for reality TV.

R.I.P.

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #560834 - 06/01/11 05:38 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

smurf_master said:
George Carlin had an amazing bit about putting all the real bad criminals in a square state like Wyoming and then video taping it for reality TV.

R.I.P.

George is cool.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   OlympusMyco.com CVG Mushroom Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale