Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMushrooMan420
Muncher

Loc: CA
Ventilation in regards to switching to an air hood or cooltube
    #554696 - 05/10/11 11:14 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

My living situation has changed so I can no longer grow in a room, I need to down size to a cabinet...and so I am a newb when it comes to ventilation efficiency with ducting so some help would be great:

I am getting rid of my old hood and want an air cooled hood or cooltube.  But the holes are 6" and I have a 4" inline fan, so will I be ok attaching 6" duck to my current fan?  Or can I taper off to the 4" duct?
In addition, can I still successful pull air through my carbon scrubber with the same fan or am I better off just spending the money for a 6" inline fan?

Details:
3.5x3.5x6.5 space and my ducting will be...only 5 feet total.

Also if anyone has a good link on ventilation for idiots please hook it up.:bow2:

--------------------
x:tongue:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: Ventilation in regards to switching to an air hood or cooltube [Re: MushrooMan420]
    #554709 - 05/11/11 12:31 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

As long as your fan is rated for the size box then its fine, personally in enclosed boxes I like to use a bigger fan than needed and use a fan controller to adjust the flow after putting the ducting, scrubber etc...Allows for more fine-tuning for yer air supply.

They make adapters so you can use the fan you have btw.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ventilation in regards to switching to an air hood or cooltube [Re: mhbound]
    #554781 - 05/11/11 02:56 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

And buy the 6 inch.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
Re: Ventilation in regards to switching to an air hood or cooltube [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #554945 - 05/12/11 12:41 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I will be in your same situation in a month or so.  Keeping my small cab, but getting a new air cooled light. I am interested to see how it works out for you. 
I guess now I will have to add a 6 inch fan to my list of new supplys.  I will be forced to use the 4 inch fan for at least one grow before I can afford to level up though.

--------------------
It looks like it's going to be another Gravity Bong type day...

OfflineMushrooMan420
Muncher

Re: Ventilation in regards to switching to an air hood or cooltube [Re: muse42]
    #555386 - 05/13/11 11:09 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Went by my local hydro store to find that a new can filter, inline fan, and bulb is going to Cost me $280
:frown:

Anyone have success with ebay because i sure haven't.

--------------------

Offlinedmtcorey
~The time police~
 User Gallery

Re: Ventilation in regards to switching to an air hood or cooltube [Re: MushrooMan420]
    #555466 - 05/14/11 10:06 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

dont waste your money dude ,i run a 6 inch inline through 8 inch ducting and 8 inch tube and its pulling through a carbon filter ,works great ,

--------------------
:whereismiddleman:

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ventilation in regards to switching to an air hood or cooltube [Re: dmtcorey]
    #555485 - 05/14/11 11:21 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Buy a 6 to 4 inch reducer.  If you cant find them at a hardware store your hydro shop should carry them.  As long as the fan is the right size of the cabinet you should be ok.  Be prepared for higher temperatures than you're used to seeing though.  It's really hard to keep the smaller cabinets cool.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineHempMaster
Space Trucker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #555490 - 05/14/11 11:36 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

MushrooMan420 said:
My living situation has changed so I can no longer grow in a room, I need to down size to a cabinet...and so I am a newb when it comes to ventilation efficiency with ducting so some help would be great:

I am getting rid of my old hood and want an air cooled hood or cooltube.  But the holes are 6" and I have a 4" inline fan, so will I be ok attaching 6" duck to my current fan?  Or can I taper off to the 4" duct?
In addition, can I still successful pull air through my carbon scrubber with the same fan or am I better off just spending the money for a 6" inline fan?

Details:
3.5x3.5x6.5 space and my ducting will be...only 5 feet total.

Also if anyone has a good link on ventilation for idiots please hook it up.:bow2:

I'd recommend you leave the 4' attached only to the filter, run a dedicated ducting for the light only, just buy a 6' suncourt inline fan(250cfm) they are only $60-$75, thats what i'm using on my coolstar, works great.

--------------------
My Tombstone will read: IwasburiedfacedownsoucanallkissmyA$$
my current grow

OfflineMushrooMan420
Muncher

Re: Ventilation in regards to switching to an air hood or cooltube [Re: coda]
    #555544 - 05/14/11 04:36 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
Buy a 6 to 4 inch reducer.  If you cant find them at a hardware store your hydro shop should carry them.  As long as the fan is the right size of the cabinet you should be ok.  Be prepared for higher temperatures than you're used to seeing though.  It's really hard to keep the smaller cabinets cool.

So true! Just did a test run with an open reflector and it got to 80 in about 4 hours on a cool day :/

Thanks for all the feedback fellow growers!

I have some time to figure out what to do, I may just sell my 4" for 60$ and that will make a good quality 6" inline fan only 70 or 80$.

I love and yet hate upgrading...

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #555548 - 05/14/11 04:49 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

It's really more about the CFM than the diameter of your airflow. If your fan is pulling appropriate CFM for your cabinet then you'll be fine. I like to exchange the air in my cabinet every 10 seconds or so.

--------------------

OfflineMushrooMan420
Muncher

Re: Ventilation in regards to switching to an air hood or cooltube [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #555609 - 05/14/11 09:43 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Well my fan is 157 CFM
My room will be at 54 cubic feet
So then how do I calculate the distance/shape of the duct, and air hood size to insure I still have enough CFM to make my carbon scrubber efficient?

I found something finally, so maybe I can answer my question
here

I will keep you guys updated and post my calculations to make sure it all sounds good.

--------------------

Edited by MushrooMan420 (05/14/11 10:06 PM)

OfflineMushrooMan420
Muncher

#555616 - 05/14/11 11:02 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

To do this i guess one needs to take their CFM plus the rated static pressure plus the actual length of the duct plus the equivalent length of the fittings (if any)?????
IF so then:

According to this ventilation Chart
I have will 36.25 ft of equivalent duct length (resistance) just based on the shape (which will include 2 elbows and material (flex aluminum).
I plan on having 5 ft of duct.

In all I calculate my duct into square feet 36.25 x 2x 2 = 145 cubic feet.
Then I add the room to that number 45 + 145 = 190 cubic feet.

So I will  be 25 over my max with a 4" inline fan.....  :shrug:

Not sure if this is right

--------------------

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #555780 - 05/15/11 03:06 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

MushrooMan420 said:
Went by my local hydro store to find that a new can filter, inline fan, and bulb is going to Cost me $280

280 isn't that bad of a price in my opinion.  But I guess I just never balk at paying for the appropriate equipment.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: Ventilation in regards to switching to an air hood or cooltube [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #555801 - 05/15/11 03:49 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Quote:

MushrooMan420 said:

280 isn't that bad of a price in my opinion.  But I guess I just never balk at paying for the appropriate equipment.

MM420, drop the money. At end of grow you will be glad you did.
I've dropped alot more money than I ever planed too.
Growing is my new addiction.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Ventilation in regards to switching to an air hood or cooltube [Re: KaptKid]
    #555834 - 05/15/11 05:37 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I found a 6" fan and filter combo for $200 online. The place has a really good return/replacement policy, even if their shipping is slow...

--------------------
My best run so far

OfflineMushrooMan420
Muncher

Re: Ventilation in regards to switching to an air hood or cooltube [Re: Tank333]
    #555890 - 05/15/11 09:27 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

KaptKid said:
Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Quote:

MushrooMan420 said:

MM420, drop the money. At end of grow you will be glad you did.
I've dropped alot more money than I ever planed too.
Growing is my new addiction.

Yea I hear you.
I need to wait for my cash flow to pick up.  I just started beer brewing which is a black hole hobby...lol...so I have been dropping big bills on brewing equipment. 

Thanks for the help:gethigh:

Quote:

Tank333 said:
I found a 6" fan and filter combo for $200 online. The place has a really good return/replacement policy, even if their shipping is slow...

I am no longer considering buying a fan or filter online since those components are the heart of my grow.
+If I have problems with one of these items I can easily exchange it out if it is still under warranty whereas if you do it online you need to wait to get the matter resolved.
  Thanks though.

--------------------

Edited by MushrooMan420 (05/15/11 09:31 PM)

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #556429 - 05/17/11 08:11 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

If noise isn't a huge issue I would look into running a dedicated intake/exhaust for the cooltube. A cheap bathroom or squirrel cage fan is <$30 and should run enough air through the hood to cool it off nicely. You can then use the 4" gear you've got to run plant air exchange and scrubbing.

You could also look into building a carbon scrubber, it costs very little to build one if you order the carbon in bulk. Its actually a pretty easy thing to make, you can crank one out in under an hour easy plus the extra bulk carbon means you can refill it every two-three grows so it works at peak efficiency. Speaking of ways to save money, unless you are pushing the 1g/watt barrier, the difference in quality of home improvement and hydro store bulbs is negligible but the price is not. My hydro store charges three times the price for HPS bulbs just because the spectrum is a bit improved... I'd much rather replace my bulb every other grow and keep my lumen output higher than spend a lot on a fancy bulb.

I used to run a 400w light in a 2'x1.5'x3.5' cab and I managed to keep the temps a consistent 7o above ambient which isn't to bad. I had a 4" fan (170cfm) and a scrubber hooked up to a cooltube and had manageable temps. Growing in cabs is never easy but with a bit of experimentation I know you'll get the hang of it. Good luck!

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies