Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesmoked_out_haze
artwork. dope.

First Grow - Cabinet Idea (please criticize)
    #279751 - 09/13/09 08:27 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

So I want to start my first grow. I was thinking of getting a cabinet (4'W x 2'D x 6'H) for it and just using soil. I live in an apartment so space is limited. I have a spare closet but I cant cut a hole in the wall or anything for exhaust. So this is what I'm thinking:

cabinet (4'W x 2'D x 6'H) ~$140
b/w poly film - should I get enough to cover the 4 sides? ~$20
inline fan with carbon filter ~$200
400W MH light kit ~$300
Promix BX or HP ~$30
Pots - I've read that 8" or 3 or 4 gal is good. I went to the local dept store and their 8" pots were only 2.3 Gal. What do you suggest?
And then I have other misc items on my list like oscillating fan, timer, silver duct tape. Oh and seeds from a seed bank :wink:

So in total, using the high end of the price spectrum, I guesstimate that this will cost about $850 canadian. Does that seem excessive for a soil setup? Any suggestions on cutting costs or on my setup in general?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First Grow - Cabinet Idea (please criticize) [Re: smoked_out_haze]
    #279759 - 09/13/09 08:44 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

The cab idea will work, but its pretty small.
The poly film does need to be on all 4 walls AND the floor.
400W is just enough light, using the 50 watts per square foot rule, but you could definitely see increased yields if you bumped that up to a 600.
I'm always a big proponent of making your own compost for soil and adding perlite to loosen it up, but each to his own.
In a very small space like that you can really maximize it by doing SOG or ScROG or instead of using pots, make a 4x2 bed inside the cab.  That would give the roots a chance to spread out laterally without being root bound.  Otherwise you're looking at a very minimal number of plants (like 3).

Welcome to the Growery!

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #279762 - 09/13/09 08:46 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

unfortunately there's not much you can do to cut down your cost except maybe cut out the B+W poly and build your cabinet from scratch.  1000 bucks to get going sounds about right IMO, it's definitely not a cheap hobby when done right :wink:.  You're missing your nutrient line, add on another 50-80 bucks for a good collection of nutes.  You're probably going to need a little bit of ducting as well to vent out your cabinet, some perlite to keep your soil nice and fluffy, and if you're growing from seeds something to start them in.

As far as the pots, 3 gallons should be just fine for you in that space.  You could get away with 2 but a little extra room is always a good thing.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlineelaspeinreason
his serene highness
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington DC
Re: First Grow - Cabinet Idea (please criticize) [Re: coda]
    #279876 - 09/13/09 10:45 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

(please criticize) ...you asked SO
850 Canadian hope that is a loooooose estimate ? You suck do better , be creative but don't sacrifice quality

--------------------
हम सब एक है ~ We Are All One
The ultimate source of happiness, successful life, is within ourselves. Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment. - Buddha

Offlinesmoked_out_haze
artwork. dope.

Re: First Grow - Cabinet Idea (please criticize) [Re: elaspeinreason]
    #280011 - 09/14/09 06:12 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

3 plants? Really? I figure with the space I mentioned I could fit 18 8" pots but would probably put 2 x 5 in the cabinet. So I figured 10 plants. Plus I've read that with a 400W light I should expect somewhere around 4-8 ounces, which would be plenty. Also, because this is my first time (and frankly, my first time growing any plant) I want to keep it as simple as possible so I'll probably avoid scrog for now.

But I plan on getting those cubes for seed. The ones that you put seeds in and once they sprout you bury the cube (I'm not sure what they're called). These work fine, right?

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #280047 - 09/14/09 09:33 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Those are called (well the ones I like) are called Rapid Rooters.  There are several brands out there.  There's also rockwool, but I get faster results and stronger starts with rapid rooters.

I was a little low on my estimate if you're using 8 inch pots, as I (up until now) have used 5 gallon buckets for flowering, I agree, that you can get 10 plants in there.

Some advice to increase yield: Supercrop. 

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Offlinesmoked_out_haze
artwork. dope.

Re: First Grow - Cabinet Idea (please criticize) [Re: 81renaissance]
    #280382 - 09/14/09 08:58 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

How much of an increase? :smile: Seems like a pretty easy way to boost yield.

Would that give me a higher chance of getting to the 8 ounce spectrum with, say, a mostly Indica straing? Or even possibly exceeding that by a couple ounces? Like I said though, quantity is not a huge factor for me. If I can get 4 or more ounces every 3 months or so, I'm a happy camper.

InvisibleYasi
Harbinger
Male User Gallery

#280921 - 09/15/09 09:44 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Scrog and a cooltube. mh put out alot of heat.

--------------------
Counting Bodies like Sheep to the rythm of the War Drums
Wild Seeds (again)
White widow X Sour Diesel grow

Offlinesmoked_out_haze
artwork. dope.

Re: First Grow - Cabinet Idea (please criticize) [Re: Yasi]
    #282797 - 09/19/09 08:38 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Would I be able to divide a foot of the space for 1 or 2 mothers for cloning? I know its already a small space but if I had a 1'x2' area for 2 mothers and the rest 2'x3', for 6 or 8 plants. How much would that reduce yield and would I need another MH Light for the mothers?

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #282806 - 09/19/09 09:26 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Nah, you don't technically need a MH light for mothers.  CFL's or Fluro's will work just fine for a small space like that.  But i will say a 1x2 area for your moms is really small.  With that much space you'd probably only be able to keep one, maybe two, decent mother plants for clones.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinesmoked_out_haze
artwork. dope.

Re: First Grow - Cabinet Idea (please criticize) [Re: coda]
    #282894 - 09/19/09 01:48 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Well I should be able to get more than enough clones off of one plant right? I only have room for 8 plants in the remaining 3'x2' space.

Also, when I take the clones, can I put them under the MH right away? Or do I need a third spot to keep the clones at first?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck