Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

OpenCourseWare
    #533716 - 03/06/11 02:26 AM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Bored? Why not study!

OpenCourseWare is free/open course material hosted by some of the top schools here in the US. It usually offers recorded lectures, notes, slides, reading material, and even final exams! Pretty awesome if you're into learning.

I'm waiting to go back to school, so im studying to make sure im okay when i get back on the horse.

Berkeley Webcast Most organized!
MIT OpenCourseWare
Open Yale Courses
Open.Michigan

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: OpenCourseWare [Re: King Koopa]
    #533756 - 03/06/11 09:25 AM (13 years, 26 days ago)

:yesnod:

The future of education, where we teach people how to learn, and they can teach themselves with help.

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: OpenCourseWare [Re: DungenessDank]
    #533816 - 03/06/11 11:57 AM (13 years, 25 days ago)

Ultimately that's the goal.  To instill the joy of learning so when you do leave school the process doesn't stop.  I see so many people who will pass tests great but they don't learn anything.  They take notes, recite and repeat with no further knowledge bestowed upon them.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: OpenCourseWare [Re: THEBats]
    #533838 - 03/06/11 12:24 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

THEBats said:
Ultimately that's the goal.  To instill the joy of learning so when you do leave school the process doesn't stop.  I see so many people who will pass tests great but they don't learn anything.  They take notes, recite and repeat with no further knowledge bestowed upon them.

Basically what I do.. But that's the problem with the system, everything relies on getting a degree so you have to play their game. As long as it provides me with a comfortable lifestyle ill be happy.

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: OpenCourseWare [Re: Picklez]
    #533840 - 03/06/11 12:27 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

I hardly ever take notes for that reason.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #533844 - 03/06/11 12:32 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

That's why I DO take notes, because most of my teachers just put shit on the test that they specifically talk about in class, however I do have some teachers who upload their lectures online, which is awesome.

Speaking of school, I got a fuckton of HW/ Studying to do today. 3 Tests this week.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
    #533846 - 03/06/11 12:36 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

I took some notes in college.  College was as much of a joke as high school was.  With the exception of the independent study courses i took my senior year.  I think education starts getting real at the masters level.  Then you really have to know your shit.  Well, traditionally, now you can get a masters degree in 9 months over the internet for taking some classes.  The forprofit universities are really fucking shit up even more.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#533847 - 03/06/11 12:36 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

I would argue, of course everyone's brains function differently, that most concepts can be grasped through careful listening and consciously forming and going over the concepts in your head.  I only write down equations when I take notes nowadays.  Other than that I focus heavily on the instructor. Ask questions and what not.

This allows me to retain the information once class has ended.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

Edited by THEBats (03/06/11 12:37 PM)

Invisiblem00nshine
HEDONISMBOT
 User Gallery

Loc: INEUPHORIA
    #533859 - 03/06/11 12:45 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

I used to do the same thing.

If I actively listened and thought about the material at hand, I would usually do pretty well on tests. I would try my best to have everything down pat, mostly because I dislike studying.

--------------------

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #533877 - 03/06/11 01:08 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

something about writing something out once makes it stick in my head

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#533883 - 03/06/11 01:16 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

Yeah with math problems that's the way it works with me.  Lots of practice problems seem to ingrain the process.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

#533912 - 03/06/11 02:43 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

I can't believe you guys are guys are blaming the school system when you dont even take the time to actually LEARN what you're supposed to be studying. If you're going to school to just gain some type of title, go on ahead, but i find it insulting to discredit any institution on the basis of your lazyness and/or ignorance to STUDY.

learn

1. to acquire knowledge of or skill in by study, instruction, or experience

2. to become informed of or acquainted with

studĀ·y

1. application of the mind to the acquisition of knowledge, as by reading, investigation, or reflection

3. Often, studies. a personal effort to gain knowledge

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: OpenCourseWare [Re: King Koopa]
    #533922 - 03/06/11 03:46 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

I am not complaining about the system at all. Just the measurements of success. They basically encourage you to memorize material and feed it back to them. They are more focused on making sure you attend class (where they discuss test questions and shit) than teaching you concepts and having you apply them

That said, I do have 1 class that is really good for applying concepts and actually doing research and putting out your own ideas.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
    #533926 - 03/06/11 03:59 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

the most informative and enlightening classes I've had have been discussion based classes.  15 people in a class sitting at a table discussing the required reading.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: OpenCourseWare [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #533990 - 03/06/11 06:38 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

my sustainability classes are pretty engaging. Always have a group project that is pretty involved with real world applications.

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

#534000 - 03/06/11 07:10 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate