Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGod
Yahweh

perlite with miracle gro+hempy
    #444976 - 07/11/10 04:05 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I finally started some seeds in jiffy pellets and transplanted them to solo cups full of perlite last night.  Only now am I realizing that this perlite is "enriched with Miracle-Gro plant food." :facepalm:

I've noticed no problems so far, but I imagine the MG could be at least annoying to the seedlings.  I found this thread, in which geokills said:
Quote:

I've used plain perlite and the Miracle Grow perlite for many garden applications and have not noticed any appreciable difference in performance.

However, I plan to be growing in straight perlite, hempy style (FN Grow & Bloom), and am wondering if the MG is going to be getting in the way of things.  I definitely don't want to have to flush the plants copiously later down the line, but would rather not have to flush the perlite before hand either.  Thoughts?

Edit: I found the following on a thread on greenpassion.org:

Quote:

There is a quick fix for this Perlite however. Rinse it in warm water for just a few minutes and you burn out the excess Nitrogen which is MGs killer nute.

I guess I'll keep an eye out for burning on the seedlings, and rinse all the rest of the MG perlite I have before using it.

Since I'm not feeding the seedlings yet, and they'll need nitrogen soon, should I bother flushing the solo cups they're in, or just take the first few doses of Grow reeeaaallly light?

Edited by God (07/11/10 05:43 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

Re: perlite with miracle gro+hempy [Re: God]
    #445003 - 07/11/10 06:37 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I used the same thing when I had them in cups, worked great.

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

Re: perlite with miracle gro+hempy [Re: DieselB]
    #445088 - 07/11/10 10:46 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

If you can, return any un opened bags and just buuy a few yards at the nearest garden center. 

Not only will this be cheaper, but you won't have to worry about trying to adjust your feeding habits to some crappy nutes.  You should also be able to find yard bags of vermiculite there.  Both ranging from 10-20 dollars a bag

Also, I think the vermiculite is pretty beneficial to hempy buckets, due to the way vermiculite stores and releases air.  Without it, i'm not sure you're going to get the same level of root penetration you would with

PS I've never grown pot, so the above is just from my general experience with plants.  So take it with a grain of salt

Edited by kyuzo (07/12/10 01:19 AM)

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: perlite with miracle gro+hempy [Re: kyuzo]
    #445147 - 07/12/10 02:27 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Great to hear that Diesel, your log is one of my favorites, obviously the MG didn't hurt the plants.  To be clear, you switched to more inert perlite upon transplanting, right?

kyuzo, good idea on buying by the yard, I just grabbed this perlite while at Home dePot a while back and didn't even note that it was made by MG, much less that it had MG in it!  I only have a gallon or two of that left, so the rest of what I buy will be in bulk from a garden center.

The reasons I don't currently plan to use vermiculite are because it seems like an unnecessary expense, and I plan to save and reuse my perlite; I figure it'd be difficult to find and remove roots with all that verm in there.  The reasons to use perlite, from what I understand, have to do with its water-retention abilities, as well as its affect on cation exchange capacity.  However, there are a few people on here who have used just perlite to excellent results (DieselB, Harry_Ba11sach, and coda come to mind), so I'm not too worried.

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#445682 - 07/12/10 10:31 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, I just used that to start them because I hadn't bought any yet and I had that left over from my adventures in mycology.

Just to let you know, the big bags are probably gonna be 4 cubic feet and that will fill about four to five 5gal buckets.

Really happy to hear you are enjoying the grow log, kinda makes me feel bad that I haven't been keeping up with it as much as I should. I think you've inspired me to do a good picture update tomorrow :smile:.

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #445707 - 07/12/10 11:43 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

my guess would be that after like 3-4 waterings the MG will be completely washed from the perlite and you'll be fine :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: perlite with miracle gro+hempy [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #445911 - 07/13/10 12:48 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for your help, guys.

There must not be much N in there (its NPK is only .04-.01-.06), though; day 6 now, and a couple of the largest ones are starting to yellow a bit around the edges of the first true leaves, though the cotyledons are all still a strong green.  Guess I should start feeding lightly tonight? (They're working on their second set of true leaves)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates