Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
Flowering with CFL's: Few High Watters or Many Semi-High?
    #386982 - 03/19/10 06:02 PM (14 years, 13 days ago)

So Tonight, I'm will be switching over my vegging bulbs to flower mode for my tiny girl (due to time constraints), and since I'm an ALL CFL project (due to limited budget), I'm going to use 2,700K color CFL bulbs for flowering....

So here's my question: my total watts for flowering will be about 100 watts total, but I have a choice...

(A) I can either use five 27 watt 2,700K color bulbs (to total ~135 watts)

Some advantages I believe it will have 

> Light covers the bud areas better than with few strong lights, so light cover is more "even"

Downsides

> Since wattages is lower, the light intensity won't be as good, and thus not good for penetrating the leaves to the bud sites.

or.....

(B) I can use three large 42 watters 2,700K color bulbs (to total about 126 watts)

Advantages I believe it will have

> Because of the higher intensity of the light, it will penetrate the leaves better, thus better, tighter budz.

Downsides:

> Coverage is limited because its coming from 3 point-sources, instead of 4 like in the 27 bulb array.
_ -- _ __ --- _ -_ _- _- _ -_ _ - -_ _ _ _ - -- - - - -- _ _ - - -- _ - -_ _ _ -_ _ _ -- _ -_ _ - -_ _ - -- _ -- _ -_ _ -_ _ -

I know more watts is better, but what about light intensity and light coverage? Which is better to have?

Any experience in flowering with CFL's?

Thanks for the help. :thumbup:
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Edited by TrueHerbCrystal (03/19/10 09:26 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineUnion420
Horticulturist

Loc: New World
Re: Flowering with CFL's: Few High Watters or Many Semi-High? [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #386989 - 03/19/10 06:54 PM (14 years, 13 days ago)

Hey TrueHerb, I dont have experience using cfl's for flowering but why dont you go with both? space limitations?

I suppose if I had to choose id use the 5, that way you get coverage and intensity since they can be placed very close.

As far as intensity and coverage they go hand and hand its like the ying yang of lighting along with PAR rating. If you have intensity but no coverage the areas not covered suffer. If you have coverage but no intesity it will suffer, so you kinda gotta find the best way to have both ya kno

Good luck and heavy harvest to ya. :stoned:

--------------------
Everything is fictional, I dont even exist.

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: Flowering with CFL's: Few High Watters or Many Semi-High? [Re: Union420]
    #386992 - 03/19/10 07:06 PM (14 years, 13 days ago)

No space limitations, its more of a energy-efficiency question, like which types of bulbs is most efficient?

I guess I could just use 4 or more 42 watters surrounding my plant, but 168 watts for my tiny 7 inch plant seems like overkill. Do you think if I had that many it would be a waste of electricity?

I might have to ask Harry what he used for his "All CFL Harry Ladies" growlog, because he never takes a photo of what he actually used for light (:grrr:)

Thanks for the advice Union420 :thumbup:
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

OfflineUnion420
Horticulturist

Re: Flowering with CFL's: Few High Watters or Many Semi-High? [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #387032 - 03/19/10 08:45 PM (14 years, 13 days ago)

No, I dont think its a waist. I think it would benefit you as far as getting bigger dense buds, but yea 1 plant is kinda under what you could have but what you gonna do now right. Ideally you could have more than that but since you cant thats all the more reason to push the plant you have to produce as much as possible.

You wouldnt move a plant thats outdoors in full sun into a less sunny spot just cause its 1 plant, obviously the sun is alot different but you get the idea.

--------------------

OfflineUnion420
Horticulturist

Re: Flowering with CFL's: Few High Watters or Many Semi-High? [Re: Union420]
    #387042 - 03/19/10 09:00 PM (14 years, 13 days ago)

O and as far as efficency goes, there are things that will dictate this, for instance you have a choice of 27w and 42, now, and this is just an example, if the 27 watt had a lumen output of 2700 and the 42w had a lumen output of 4000 then the 27watters are more efficent in terms of light ouput for watts used which is what you want to look at. This is why we use MH and HPS because the light output for watts used very high.

So what you want to do is compare lumens of the 2 and determine which one puts out more light for the watts it uses, lumens should be posted somewhere on the bulb and if not the package and if not the website for the company who made it.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #387207 - 03/20/10 09:15 AM (14 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

TrueHerbCrystal said:
No space limitations, its more of a energy-efficiency question, like which types of bulbs is most efficient?

I guess I could just use 4 or more 42 watters surrounding my plant, but 168 watts for my tiny 7 inch plant seems like overkill. Do you think if I had that many it would be a waste of electricity?

I might have to ask Harry what he used for his "All CFL Harry Ladies" growlog, because he never takes a photo of what he actually used for light (:grrr:)

Thanks for the advice Union420 :thumbup:
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

I think the efficiency of the bulb is about even no matter what you use. The higher wattage bulbs basically just use more spirals of the same wattage, so I think one 42W is basically the same as two 21W (or 23W since 21's don't exist)

And I have pictures of my CFL setup, I just forgot to put them in that thread :tongue:

And yes, that's a trashcan lid I wired as a reflector :grin:

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: Flowering with CFL's: Few High Watters or Many Semi-High? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #387370 - 03/20/10 06:33 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

Cool, thanks Harry! I was looking for your set-up in your ALL CFL ladies log, but could never find it.....I'm glad you found it! :tongue:

I dig that 3-spoke arrangement with the bulbs. Very cool. And that modified trash can lid....:lol:...very clever.

So that last photo: is that the actual plants from that CFL journal you had? I'm guessing no because the reflective material in the Background is different. Then again, you started your journal a couple weeks into flowering, so maybe that's just the vegging area...:shrug:

Thanks for all the photos dude. May I suggest you post them into your thread, so growers like myself who use only CFL's know what you were using to get those bomb budz?

I have be enlightened
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #387517 - 03/20/10 10:22 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

nope those are new clones in a new little grow space I made just because I was bored one day :tongue:

I will post those pics in that thread, be sure to remind me if I don't get to it by tomorrow :grin:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder