Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
CFL Color Question: Is 6500K bulbs better than 5000K for vegging?
    #360182 - 02/08/10 06:23 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Currently, I'm doing a all CFL grow (because I'm a cheap bastard) and I've been reading up on color temperatures.

Apparently from the things I've read, "Daylight" color or 5000K bulbs are the best. But then I read that vegging plants like bluer light, and 6500K is a little bit bluer than 500)K, which is more "neutral", like sunlight.

Here's the bulbs are talking about in particular

The 5000K 27 watters

The 6500K, 26 watters

So, which one is better? Is it maybe better to use both simutanously? I've also have a few bulbs in the middle, at 5500K....is a happy medium better?

Color my World
~ TrueHerbCrystaL ~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: CFL Color Question: Is 6500K bulbs better than 5000K for vegging? [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #360194 - 02/08/10 06:33 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Use both of them.  The last round of vegging I did was with 2700k and 3000k and here is the day I switched to HPS.

To answer your question specifically yes, the 6500k is slightly better than the 5,000k as it has slightly more of a blue hue to it, but 5,000k would be a nice addition.  I prefer adding as much of the spectrum as possible, as the sun doesn't miss a beat, per say.  I prefer smoking OD buds most of the time, if they were grown properly.  There's just something about it.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
Re: CFL Color Question: Is 6500K bulbs better than 5000K for vegging? [Re: Inverted]
    #360204 - 02/08/10 06:54 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Interesting...thanks for the quick answer Inverted.

So you actually use CFL's for early vegging even thou you have a HPS light? Even more interesting, especially considering that HPS bulbs have a color range similar to 2700K - 3000K CFL bulbs....

And its even more interesting that your using 2700K and 3000K bulbs for vegging. Any particular reason why you are using that "for flowering" light color temperature? How many total watts did you have on all your plants before you moved them over to HPS?

Your quote: "I prefer smoking OD buds most of the time, if they were grown properly."

I'm sorry, but I'm not up-to-date on my bud lingo: What is a "OD bud"? Overly-Dense bud maybe?

Thanks for answering so fast. That was a good clean answer, although a little confusing since your not using that color range. But I'm sure you got a good reason for your crazy ways...:awesome:

And nice plants dude! Are those 100% indicas? (trying to practice my ID'ing)

Very Interesting...:strokebeard:
~ TrueHerbCrystaL ~

Edited by TrueHerbCrystal (02/08/10 06:55 PM)

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: CFL Color Question: Is 6500K bulbs better than 5000K for vegging? [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #360207 - 02/08/10 06:56 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

the 6500K just basically keep the stretch down during veg. as flowering starts the internodal distance increases quite a bit so blue light is used in vegetative growth to keep the plants a bit shorter. Not sure if it makes them grow faster or not but I would guess probably a negligible amount if anything :shrug:

and OD stands for outdoor :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #360671 - 02/09/10 10:46 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

TrueHerbCrystal said:
Interesting...thanks for the quick answer Inverted.

So you actually use CFL's for early vegging even thou you have a HPS light? Even more interesting, especially considering that HPS bulbs have a color range similar to 2700K - 3000K CFL bulbs....

And its even more interesting that your using 2700K and 3000K bulbs for vegging. Any particular reason why you are using that "for flowering" light color temperature? How many total watts did you have on all your plants before you moved them over to HPS?

Your quote: "I prefer smoking OD buds most of the time, if they were grown properly."

I'm sorry, but I'm not up-to-date on my bud lingo: What is a "OD bud"? Overly-Dense bud maybe?

Thanks for answering so fast. That was a good clean answer, although a little confusing since your not using that color range. But I'm sure you got a good reason for your crazy ways...:awesome:

And nice plants dude! Are those 100% indicas? (trying to practice my ID'ing)

Very Interesting...:strokebeard:
~ TrueHerbCrystaL ~

Well originally with past grows those bulbs were used to initiate flowering while I got my HPS together, and YES, I would rather use CFL's than HPS for veg, and I didn't notice ANY difference between the blue and red bulbs.  I didn't want to go out and buy a bunch of blue just for vegging when these worked just fine.

I'd say there was about 150-200w, depending on if I borrowed bulbs for other things or not.  I had no problems with stretching at all, and kept the bulbs at 3-4 inches away this time instead of 1-2, and they actually grew better at 3-4 inches from the canopy.  :shrug:

Ya know I'm not sure, but I'd say they range from 25% Sativa to 0% Sativa, so I guess you could say that they are nearly all Pure Indicas.

I like the high and how they grow.  I've never been a sativa fan, but I don't mind the smoking variety!  And yes OD = OutDoor.

I have found that even though they may look worse than indoor grown herb, for some reason I get higher and like the taste from OD buds better.  But that's all just IMO

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds