Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
What are your thoughts on flowering immediately following transplant?
    #379856 - 03/08/10 08:02 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

I've got 5 plants that are VERY ready for bigger pots, and 5 plants that are IN bigger pots and VERY ready to flower. :lol:

I sort of have a veg space, but it's only suitable for keeping small moms and whatnot, I can't actually veg in there, I don't know if I could even fit a single 5 gallon bucket in there.

So should I transplant the 5 that need it into 5 gallon buckets and only give them like a week or so to grow their roots out? or should I consider transplanting them into something like 3 gallon buckets so they have a better chance of filling the bucket with roots first.  I guess I just can't decide if it's a waste of my perlite and nutrients to be flowering a plant that hasn't really had a chance to fill the medium yet... I know the roots stop growing about 2 weeks after the lighting flip so I can't decide if going for the full size bucket is my best bet or if I should put them in something a little smaller.....

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What are your thoughts on flowering immediately following transplant? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #379873 - 03/08/10 08:57 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

I'd go with the three gallon if you plan on flowering soon. Having a bucket full of roots is more efficient than having too much root space in your container. That's my take on it anyway.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

InvisibleBen18
Drunk Derelict
Male User Gallery

Re: What are your thoughts on flowering immediately following transplant? [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #379877 - 03/08/10 09:06 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

DrGreenThumb said:
I'd go with the three gallon if you plan on flowering soon. Having a bucket full of roots is more efficient than having too much root space in your container. That's my take on it anyway.

i'd say this

and flower those ladies.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What are your thoughts on flowering immediately following transplant? [Re: Ben18]
    #379881 - 03/08/10 09:17 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

well I can always keep trimming them back so they stay a reasonable size. It's not like I'm just going to let them overgrow my entire room or something.

I guess the only real reason I'm asking is because 2 of the untransplanted clones in question come from magash, and I promised him I'd do my best to grow them out FAT. I don't want to seem like I'm cheating him out of a strain review by having his in 3 gallon buckets while all the others are in 5-gallon buckets.

But I think you fella's are probably right anyway....

--------------------

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: What are your thoughts on flowering immediately following transplant? [Re: Ben18]
    #379891 - 03/08/10 10:14 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

Ben18 said:
Quote:

DrGreenThumb said:

i'd say this

and flower those ladies.

sounds right to me.

I don't do hempys, but i would think you would see more of the plants full potential when flowering with  a well established root system to feed the monster nugz we all know you're gonna produce... :awesomenod:

Like you said...the roots stop growing 2 weeks into flower so if you induce'em without a good settah roots they may not show their true capabilities.

Just speculating though. I could be way off.

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What are your thoughts on flowering immediately following transplant? [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #379943 - 03/08/10 11:19 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

I'm always for experimenting. My suggestion would be to put one in a 3 gal. and one in a 5 gal. and see which one does better. I'm assuming they're about the same size. It would be interesting to see the results.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

OfflineCrusty Ass Bastard
Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What are your thoughts on flowering immediately following transplant? [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #379946 - 03/08/10 11:21 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

I've been in this situation a few times (in soil) and began 12/12 immediately after transplanting from 1/2 gallon -> 2 gallon pots. Come harvest time the roots had filled out the 2 gal pot. I didn't transplant other clones into bigger pots so I couldn't tell you how much the yield was impacted though.

--------------------
|

Skunk Train (Most Recent) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed)
Cinnibis Rolls | Indoor Peppers

"The secret of improved plant breeding, apart from scientific knowledge, is love." -Luther Burbank

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: What are your thoughts on flowering immediately following transplant? [Re: Crusty Ass Bastard]
    #380059 - 03/08/10 01:46 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

The root system stops growing after 2 weeks into flower?  Since when???

Oh and Harry, buy the 3 gallon square containers and plug the holes for hempy use, you'll get ~27% more rootspace from containers that take up the same footprint...  Just my opinion.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What are your thoughts on flowering immediately following transplant? [Re: Inverted]
    #380061 - 03/08/10 01:50 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

I've heard a bunch of places around the net (other forums though, so take it with a grain of salt) that after about 2-4 weeks of flowering the plant doesn't feel a need to continue root growth and instead focuses ALL of it's energy on flower production. In fact, my bottle of Roots Excelurator even says to stop using the product in week 3 of flowering because there's no need for it anymore :shrug:

And Inverted, I'm just gonna keep doing buckets. I could fit 16 plants in my space with 5-gallon buckets but I only have 9 plants, so I don't really have a need for saving space quite that efficiently. I'm gonna go with ease of use for now, but in the future when I experiment with smaller plant size and really packing them in there I'm definitely gonna go with that :shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Re: What are your thoughts on flowering immediately following transplant? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #380083 - 03/08/10 02:17 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Word yeah I was just throwing it out there.  My last 2 grows were transplanted, 1- 7 days into flower, and 2- was a couple days before the switch and the only thing I have yet to notice as a negative impact is that they sense the transplant and focus on root expansion, thus slowing down the transition to really packing on the calyxs.  If you are in need of doing it, by all means DO IT!  You probably won't even notice a yield decrease, and if ANYTHING, your flower time might be extended 5-7 days, so in other words, it can be done if need be, but if you have the option and planning, then I would transplant at least 5-7 days BEFORE flipping the lights.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What are your thoughts on flowering immediately following transplant? [Re: Inverted]
    #380137 - 03/08/10 03:11 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Word... I think I'm just going to throw them all into 5 gallon buckets and see what happens :lol:

can't really hurt them that much :shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#380171 - 03/08/10 04:00 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

No, what's there to lose?

I just think most people give their roots more space than they really need, especially with the size of the plants they grow.

The only time I have ever used a 5 gallon bucket was in a swamp grow back in the day, and the plants were 5 feet tall and bushy.  I would only use buckets of that size if my plants were that big or larger, otherwise 3 gallons work for almost all of the same applications indoors, unless you are growing 4-5 foot tall monsters, which isn't such a practical indoor method because the plants take up so much more space, but the return isn't much greater than if you were to fill the space with twice as many plants but keep the size smaller.  Anyways I'm getting off topic now so /rant

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #380181 - 03/08/10 04:16 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

I just like the bigger buckets because it gives me more lapse time if I forget to water. I can forget them for 3 days in the 5 gals and be fine, but the same size plant in 3gal needs feedings every day.

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#380185 - 03/08/10 04:21 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Yeah I guess I can understand that.  Hempy is weird...

If I ever ditch soil I'm probably going to DIY-DWC route or even an Ebb n' Flow system.  I could probably make a mini table now even, but I just can't afford any pumps at this point.  Maybe I can sell a couple sacks out of this harvest and build a custom DWC system for my flower cab...

:strokebeard: 

I need Hydro, I'm starting to get jealous reading everyone's GL of hydro runs and they just seem to grow FASTER is the main thing.  I notice much larger buds at 5 weeks flower in hydro systems than ANY soil grows I have seen at the same stage in the cycle.  It's just too obvious to overlook any longer, I MUST make the switch soon.  The thing is, I'm very proficient when it comes to soil growing, I almost feel like I should stick to what I have mastered.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #380267 - 03/08/10 05:30 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

I almost feel like I should stick to what I have mastered.

Sure, you could take this route.  But then you would be cheating yourself out of other opportunities.  While soil may be a comfort zone for you, you should try and break out of that and try new things.  Grow 3 soil plants and one hempy, do a soil and a bunch of DWC's, whatever your choice I feel like you shouldn't be hesitant to try new things because you're more comfortable with something else.  If you've mastered soil, move on to some new ground and master that!

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #380288 - 03/08/10 05:47 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

I agree with coda. I would bet money that if you grow 3 soil plants and a hempy side by side you'll never do soil again though :tongue:

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #380339 - 03/08/10 07:16 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

+1

Coming from an ex soil grower I can tell you I'll never touch the stuff again unless for some odd reason I want to keep a mom in it (although I'm liking hempy more now for moms then soil).

I dunno, I once swore I'd never touch hydro but now I'm swearing I'll never touch soil again.  I like the control over your plants that hydro offers, plus the quick recovery time from mistakes is a huuuuge bonus.  Every style has it's pros and cons, but for me I look for the following in a grow: Cost effectiveness, relative simplicity, ease of use/application. 

Anyways, expand your horizons my man.  You can get a hempy bucket started for 10 bucks.  10 bucks isn't much to dip your toes into something new, so if it doesn't work out for you, you're only out the cost of a movie ticket and some time.  While it wasn't my best grow ever, my first hempy experiment turned out really well having no prior hydro experience.  So I'm sure someone who has a bunch of grows under their belts like you can also easily adapt to a new method. If you're like me you may find the experience of trying something new to be more satisfying then the end results from the grow.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineCrusty Ass Bastard
Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What are your thoughts on flowering immediately following transplant? [Re: coda]
    #380364 - 03/08/10 07:30 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

coda said:
+1

Coming from an ex soil grower I can tell you I'll never touch the stuff again unless for some odd reason I want to keep a mom in it (although I'm liking hempy more now for moms then soil).

I dunno, I once swore I'd never touch hydro but now I'm swearing I'll never touch soil again.  I like the control over your plants that hydro offers, plus the quick recovery time from mistakes is a huuuuge bonus.  Every style has it's pros and cons, but for me I look for the following in a grow: Cost effectiveness, relative simplicity, ease of use/application. 

Felt like I was reading my own words...

I don't think you would look back either dude.

--------------------
|

Skunk Train (Most Recent) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed)
Cinnibis Rolls | Indoor Peppers

"The secret of improved plant breeding, apart from scientific knowledge, is love." -Luther Burbank

Edited by Crusty Ass Bastard (03/08/10 07:31 PM)

InvisibleBen18
Drunk Derelict
Male User Gallery

Re: What are your thoughts on flowering immediately following transplant? [Re: coda]
    #380397 - 03/08/10 07:51 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

coda said:
+1

Anyways, expand your horizons my man.  You can get a hempy bucket started for 10 bucks.  10 bucks isn't much to dip your toes into something new, so if it doesn't work out for you, you're only out the cost of a movie ticket and some time.  While it wasn't my best grow ever, my first hempy experiment turned out really well having no prior hydro experience.  So I'm sure someone who has a bunch of grows under their belts like you can also easily adapt to a new method. If you're like me you may find the experience of trying something new to be more satisfying then the end results from the grow.

:congrats:
good post

:peace:

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#380450 - 03/08/10 08:35 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

Ben18 said:
Quote:

coda said:
+1

:congrats:
good post

:peace:

No shit!  Amazing.  Well Maybe I will with 1 or 2 of these seedling I have in little cups for now...  :wink:

I may never look back.  :lol:  As long as I can reuse some perlite I'm all for it.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale