Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleUlala

Ulala's first grow: Aeroponics * 1
    #371184 - 02/22/10 09:03 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hi all, after doing extensive reading I decided to get my very own journal going. It'll be a slow and steady process, but I'm excited to share the experience with everyone here. It's also comforting knowing you guys will be with me every step of the way. :smile:

I like the idea of aeroponics and it works well with my space. I've started with aznshroomer's guide found here: http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/249470/fpart/all/vc/1

And have been asking many questions there. I'll probably move questions to this journal, hoping for a few helpful followers!

After I get my cloner going, I'm going to build aznshroomer's veg unit found here: http://www.growery.org/3039/Make-Your-Own-Aeroponic-Veg-System

aznshroomer gets all the credit for his hard work and taking the time to share his knowledge with us. Many thanks, man!  :bow2:

So, I guess let's get the party started with a few pics of my build process. I'll try to get some of my cab and space later, but time of course is limited.

Here I've drilled my first hole, using my masking tape tracings. I think someone didn't know what to use the masking tape for, aznshroomer said you can make measurements without marking up your bit. I think this is what he meant? lol

My PVC and pump, I definitely need to lower it but haven't got to it just yet. I also still have to drill my holes for my misters.

I went ahead and weatherstripped around the lid fitting, I'm super OCD and paranoid about big leaks. The lid fits very snugly and I expect no problems. (time will tell!) You can see I had to glue behind the smaller weatherstripping because it wasn't as sticky, but the 1/2" (larger black) was just too big for the lid to fit around. The glue got a little messy, apologies!

Unfortunately the centers of some of my holes fell right where the lid got a little bit deeper, which meant I was drilling into a slope of plastic. The tape helped for the most part, but I went ahead and helped myself out with a nail in the center of each to help the drill get started. A small drill bit would work too, but I was trying to conserve my battery for drilling holes. :tongue2:

More to come later. Looking forward to working with everyone!

[edit]Changed photos for thumbnail ease. [/edit]

--------------------
My first grow, aeroponics from A-Z:  Ulala's First Grow Comments welcome!

If you're robbing a bank and your pants fall down, I think it's okay to laugh and to let the hostages laugh too, because, come on, life is funny.
            -Jack Handy

Edited by Ulala (02/23/10 08:58 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ulala's first grow: Aeroponics [Re: Ulala]
    #371199 - 02/22/10 09:11 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Awesome, looks very cool so far. Can't wait to see how this plays out for you :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineMagicHombre
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Ulala's first grow: Aeroponics [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #371226 - 02/22/10 09:53 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, dude... this is awesome! I'm actually interested in trying this...
How much did this run ya?

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Ulala's first grow: Aeroponics [Re: MagicHombre]
    #371228 - 02/22/10 09:55 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

:popcorn:

InvisibleUlala

#371848 - 02/23/10 08:48 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

MagicHombre said:
Yeah, dude... this is awesome! I'm actually interested in trying this...
How much did this run ya?

I'll collect my receipts and type up a list for ya, but aznshroomer mentioned around $100 I think, which sounds about right. I think I spent a little more than that actually (I budgeted $150) but gimme a few to get my data.

Until then, some more progress! I decided to upload photos to the growery for automatic resize. :thumbup:

Finished up my drilling. The distance between the holes is far from perfect (admittedly, I'm not the best with a drill) but sufficient.

Here I'm trying to show the weatherstrip seal here, don't think any water will come through there!

Lid on.

I cleaned everything up, wiped everything down, and put in the collars.

Time to finish the inside!

Thanks for watching folks.

--------------------

If you're robbing a bank and your pants fall down, I think it's okay to laugh and to let the hostages laugh too, because, come on, life is funny.
            -Jack Handy

OfflineMagicHombre
Stranger
 User Gallery

#371908 - 02/23/10 09:31 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

:headbang3:

InvisibleUlala

Re: Ulala's first grow: Aeroponics [Re: MagicHombre] * 1
    #372167 - 02/24/10 01:42 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Alright, I made my shopping list into an excel spreadsheet. Just seemed easier that way. I linked most of the products too which is convenient.

The grand total came out to $165.43 including the nutrient solution and the PH down.

Not counting those toward the initial "build" would bring it down by about 20 bucks. You'll see my list also includes a PVC drain valve that aznshroomer didn't include in his design or guide. My next update should show how I implemented this. Not counting the drain would only save you an additional $8.19 bringing the whole thing as low as $137! If you skimped out further and decided not to get silicone or a caulk gun to really seal things up, that'd put you just under $127. You could ditch the aquarium heater if you can keep your water warm enough, this puts you at $115. You also might be able to save here and there, say if you already have a roll of masking tape. The options are vast!

I haven't included any pricing on lighting. This is just for the initial rubbermaid cloner, and nutes to get the ball rolling.

[edit]math, corrections, excel upload, etc.[/edit]

The I uploaded the spreadsheet in office 2003 and 2007 formats in a zip file, so everyone should be covered. :smile:

--------------------

-Jack Handy

Edited by Ulala (02/24/10 11:30 PM)

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Trusted Cultivator
    #372736 - 02/24/10 05:40 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

You should attach a copy of it to your post!  Choose to "preview my post and/or attach a file".  You may need to zip or rar it up before it will take.

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

InvisibleUlala

Re: Ulala's first grow: Aeroponics [Re: geokills]
    #372762 - 02/24/10 05:55 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Oh good call, should work if I zip it up, didn't think of that. I have to fix a little math first though lol.

--------------------

-Jack Handy

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
    #373044 - 02/24/10 10:33 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

yes!  That would be amazing.  If you can't manage it shoot me a pm.  Nice looking log you have developing here.  :thumbup::thumbup:

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleUlala

Re: Ulala's first grow: Aeroponics [Re: FurrowedBrow] * 3
    #373118 - 02/24/10 11:33 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Alright, I updated that post but in case someone skips over it, you can get the excel spreadsheet here:

http://www.growery.org/forums/download.php?Number=372167

It's in both office 2003 and 2007 formats so hopefully everyone is covered. Enjoy guys!

--------------------

-Jack Handy

InvisibleUlala

#373731 - 02/25/10 10:07 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Really quick update today, should be more soon. I drilled and positioned my drain valve. My 1" spinbor was just shy of wide enough, so I had to file the hole down a little with a standard bit.

I still need to silicone everything in, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow. Until then!

--------------------

-Jack Handy

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
    #373754 - 02/25/10 10:21 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Ulala said:
Alright, I updated that post but in case someone skips over it, you can get the excel spreadsheet here:

http://www.growery.org/forums/download.php?Number=372167

It's in both office 2003 and 2007 formats so hopefully everyone is covered. Enjoy guys!

Thanks!  a very worthy +1 on that post.  :grin:

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleUlala

Re: Ulala's first grow: Aeroponics [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #373829 - 02/25/10 11:34 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:

Thanks!  a very worthy +1 on that post.  :grin:

Why, thank you sir!

--------------------

-Jack Handy

InvisibleUlala

#374430 - 02/26/10 10:47 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I started holes in my PVC with the tip of my 1" speedbor, seemed to work pretty well. I did this to make it easier to drill holes with the 11/64" bit. Sorry I don't have a picture of the drill doing the 11/64 holes. Don't get confused with my picture of the speedbor. This was only to START the holes. :smile:

Used a screw to thread my holes and put the misters in!

Here I glued some PVC to the bottom of the pump for support, as aznshroomer instructed.

Being OCD/perfectionist I decided to put beads of silicone under them. I unscrewed them just a little, squeezed some silicone between the pipe and the mister, then screwed it back down pushing the silicone out, hopefully making a nice seal.

As you can see, I made some mistakes in my measurements, cutting of the PVC, and marking holes for the misters, but I'm pretty sure it's all close enough. The perfectionist in me died a little lol.

As soon as it all dries, I'll be able to plug it into the pump and give it a test run. Keep watching, folks!

--------------------

-Jack Handy

Edited by Ulala (02/27/10 05:37 PM)

InvisibleUlala

#375563 - 02/28/10 07:50 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I put my pump and PVC/mister unit in the bathtub for a test run, and it worked quite nicely. I could feel a solid space of mist above it. :smile:

I glued in my drain valve with some serious epoxy, and then put silicone around it. I'll test it in an hour for leaks, keep your fingers crossed for me!

Apologies again for a pretty messy job here.

With scissors I cut the bottoms out of my baskets so I can easily transplant later. Don't want my roots to get tangled!

I cut a section of weatherstip out so the cord could more easily fit with the lid on. The cord on the pump is a little beefy, think like your computer's power cord.

Here it is, very nearly there!

--------------------

-Jack Handy

InvisibleUlala

#376461 - 03/01/10 07:38 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Well I put my cloner in my bathtub and gave it a test run. No leaks that I can see. I went ahead and snapped a few photos, with a flashlight as well as with the flash on the camera.

Next is getting it set up in my space. More to come later.

--------------------

-Jack Handy

OfflineMagicHombre
Stranger
 User Gallery

#376990 - 03/02/10 02:54 PM (14 years, 30 days ago)

Looking good... :salute:

InvisibleUlala

#378703 - 03/05/10 12:56 AM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Here are some more shots of my current space. It's not really my final set up, but it makes for a nice concealed little unit for my cloner or perhaps a couple plants in the future. It's not as big as I'd like, but it is stealthy! And it'll get me by long enough while I get my real space set up.

I'm hoping to get my cuttings here soon!

--------------------

-Jack Handy

Edited by Ulala (03/05/10 01:01 AM)

OfflineTomCollins

#378707 - 03/05/10 01:20 AM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Very nicely setup! I can see a lot of effort went into this shiz! Very cool! :thumbup:

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds