Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehelmet
Bag Seed Veteran
Male

Loc: Pacific NW
what in the hell is this little larvae?
    #316360 - 11/16/09 01:17 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Soil Growers:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones? seed.
2. How old are your plants? first one was planted 9/27, so oldest is a month and a half youngest is 3 weeks
3. How tall are your plants? they range from 4" to 8 maybe 9 inches
4. What size containers are they planted in? at the moment 1 gal black pots from the garden center at ferd meier
5. What is your soil mix?  Turf King Potting Soil(yeah i'm a cheapass)
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use? water every day or two with shults concentrate plant food and tap water. but, i mist every day, multiple times a day during VEGITATION.
7. What is the pH of your water? uhhh... according to my soil ph/moisture tester.. its about 6.75... but i just got that water less than an hour ago, usually it sits out lid open(1gal milk container washed out of course) for a day or two.
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio? shults plant food concentrate npk ratio is 10-15-10
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? tap water only.
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")was using 8 100w(23w)cfl's along with 1 400w hps, but i don't have the ventilation for the cfl's yet and had to turn them off as i think the heat was one of the conditions leading to me posting this post asking wtf this larve is.
11. How close are your lights to the plants? 2.5 ft
12. What size is your grow space in square feet?  1ft 8in deep 3ft 8in wide and 4ft 4in from ground to the bottom of the light
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? humidity is unknown(live in pacific nw, but i'm indoors) the temperature was reaching 95+ with the cfl's on without them it maxes out at about 86 on a warm day
14. What is the pH of the soil? about the same as the water 6.75
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? small 2mm max size flying insects i have fly strips and a pitcher plant in my growspace to help combat those.
16. How much experience do you have growing? this is my 3rd grow. i have some experience but i'm no master.

ok now onto what i need to ask. what in the hell do you guys thing this larve is? i thought it was spider mites but they don't have a arachnid like body, and they're white. were making some of the plant leaves look like someone had spilled something on them and it had dried leaving a almost crusty white appearence, these i'm assuming were egg sacs? or something.

was the only picture i could get of the larvae

--------------------

Third grow  Third grow  Second grow  First grow(in that order) Fun Times :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery
Re: what in the hell is this little larvae? [Re: helmet]
    #316370 - 11/16/09 02:58 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

The fliers leads me to believe fungus gnats...

Do you grow shrooms too?  They live in the soil of any and all of your houseplants, but will absolutely thrive in a burnt out sub.

Also, the carnivorous plant soil mixture is a favorite of theirs as well, so it's kinda a catch 22 on the pitcher plant.  I'd also suggest a Sundew before a pitcher though... I have bad gnats (Haven't found my grow yet though thank god) and my sundew devours them... I mean, like every square inch of dewy leaf is covered in them.

The flystrips are good.  I've read diotomacious (sp) earth can be used on all of your houseplants to destroy the larvae.  I think neem oil might work as well? Though don't know much about it outside of around here.

Good luck bud.

Offlinehelmet
Bag Seed Veteran
Male

Re: what in the hell is this little larvae? [Re: DudeTron]
    #316404 - 11/16/09 06:51 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

well the carny is in a thing the size of half a redcup, and its actually not in my big chamber i forgot, its in my seedling chanber, and it catches lots of gnats.... but that's an interesting trick if they love breeding in the bark it lives in eh... total duh(in nature that seems 200% logical)

and yeah, other side of my room for while till my foaf kept messing up the rye jars during colonization, i had a little tub going. opposite corners, both pretty sealed off. but i guess i just gotta keep an eye out for em and not do something stupid, like a 1:1 mixture of rubbing alcohol and water, without spraying them down a few minutes later. it helped.... but it hurt my guys a little. hey its monday, i'll post pictures right as the sun comes up for them (i have a 20-4 veg cycle for this grow) which is about 15 minutes from now. hopefully i have good things to see in there like no more of those larvae cuz the fungus gnats.. dont' seem that much of a problem... its just hte larve suckin out the juices from my leaves is killin me. and i'm prolly not the greatest person for letting a tiny (2mm in size legs and all max) spider to live inside my grow room, but i figured, they won't eat my plant.. just gotta make sure it dosent make its web on it, and none have, yet.

--------------------

Third grow  Third grow  Second grow  First grow(in that order) Fun Times :smile:

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Loc: CANADA
    #316795 - 11/16/09 06:15 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

From the sounds of it, you have fungus gnats.  They are easy to ID, search google for pics.  If Fungus gnats, get Nematodes.  They will destroy and annilate the grubs preventing an outbreak of flys.  They also kill 250 species of soil based pests and do not harm weed.  Kill the active ones as much as you can, use sand to cover soil by 1 inch.  They cannot lay eggs then.  They have a 10 day cycle however and tend to appear at time of watering dry soil.  Nematodes will kill them and is a very easy application and solution to fungal gnats.

If spider mites, there is endless advice and solutions to dealing with them and biological is a great route to maintaining and controlling aphids/mites as well, but need to get access to predators (most can be ordered online).  Household spiders, especially Hunter Killer types, like Wolf Spiders make excellent grow room guardians and will prevent a lot of pest issues before you even notice them.

The picture looks like nothing I have seen, so I could not identify.

--------------------
"I never post unless high.  Well that does explain a lot then."

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do

Current Grow Journal

Offlinehelmet
Bag Seed Veteran
Male

Re: what in the hell is this little larvae? [Re: Azyle00]
    #316906 - 11/16/09 07:12 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

aye, i couldn't get my camera to focus well enouhg on the little guy. thank you for your advice, from the amount of gnats i've ocasionally aseen in my room.

so we'll go with the fungal gnat issue.  Sand, and Nematodes. tyvm sirs

--------------------

OfflineMud
Stranger
 User Gallery

#317028 - 11/16/09 10:15 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

would be nice if they were pred bug larvae, one can hope.

Mud

Offlinehelmet
Bag Seed Veteran
Male

Re: what in the hell is this little larvae? [Re: Mud]
    #317099 - 11/17/09 01:54 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i wish they were but i noticed them doing dmg to my plants. i'm pretty sure they're fungal gnats as there are gnats in the house, and flying around the plants sometimes.

--------------------

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #320986 - 11/24/09 10:56 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Fungus gnats will do no visible damage to plants (they eat fungus) and the larvae are found only in soil... I think you may have to go back to the drawing board if they are causing stippling. I really can't tell much from that pic but it looks like a white fly you have there. They are very common pests indoors and in greenhouses and will cause leaf damage unlike fungus gnats.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Offlinehelmet
Bag Seed Veteran
Male

Re: what in the hell is this little larvae? [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #321675 - 11/25/09 06:49 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

hmm. don't have any whiteflies around, just little gnats... wish i could get a picture thru my 60x microscope. weird looking little fucker.

--------------------

OfflineEro42oH2o
master of the bush
 User Gallery

#321823 - 11/26/09 09:31 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

sand is fucking bull shit. My closet is part beach from that heavy ass idea.

next time use sterile practice, filter vents, and get your predators up front. Ladies, Praying M, Nematodes

or go the neem/d.e./etc route...but it's not ever that easy.

Really life sucks when your battling the grow elements. Welcome to hell.

--------------------
All of the statements and posts I make or have made are fake. I just found all the pictures and copied and pasted them here. I am in no way associated with any of the materials discussed here. I'm just bored, and lame.

Offlinehelmet
Bag Seed Veteran
Male

Re: what in the hell is this little larvae? [Re: Ero42oH2o]
    #321825 - 11/26/09 10:12 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

part of it might be the whole house i live in. not mine to do with what i want so parts of it are rather cluttered :frown:

and yeah, i wanna put like 500 ladies in my little room lol.... 5 would prolly work.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder