Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Theory On Spider Mite Prevention
    #50707 - 06/04/08 02:46 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Well, after reading far too many instances of problems with spider mites indoors, affecting growers of even great expertise, my friend decided that these fuckers are to be avoided at all costs, to not allow them any opportunity to come into contact with his plants.

He decided that the best potential way to accomplish this is to filter the incoming air into the room. Since we're talking indoors, the source of the incoming air is isolated or could be isolated in such a way that it could be filtered. Spider mites are a little less than one millimeter in size, and a HEPA air filter will stop particles up to around 3 microns (microns being one thousandth of a millimeter) in size. Of course, another extractor fan would probably be necessary to adequately pull air in through the filter and into the room in order to help the fan extracting air from the grow room perform optimally in providing frequent air exchange.

I haven't really seen anyone mention doing this before, but common sense seems to dictate that it would work effectively. My friend is still about a month off from his first indoor grow, but will definitely be trying this out (although any positive results wouldn't be definite since there wouldn't be a time before in which spider mites were known to affect the plants). I'm just tossing this idea out there now so that anyone interested might try it to see if it will work for them. A furnace filter for allergen control should work, or the HEPA filter for air purifiers or possibly for vacuum cleaners could be cut to cover any air intakes.

If anyone has any thoughts, concerns, or critiques of this theory, feel free to post them, and if anyone tries this out, especially those with known spider mite problems, definitely let us know what happens. :smile:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Theory On Spider Mite Prevention [Re: Sirius]
    #50709 - 06/04/08 03:00 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

That will definitely prevent spider mites coming in through the ventilation system. Good idea!

Then you only have to make sure you don't bring them in yourself.
Not home grown clones often have spider mites over here. I always treat them with a mild dose of anti-mite once.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Theory On Spider Mite Prevention [Re: Annom]
    #50714 - 06/04/08 03:11 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks a lot, there's that paranoia again. :razz:

Do you think it would be that much of a concern, or would it be worth it to find something one could spray oneself with before going in? :lol:

Perhaps set up one of those laboratory decontamination entrances or something... :strokebeard:

--------------------

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Trusted Cultivator
    #50716 - 06/04/08 03:16 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

:lol:

I would wash my hands after working in a normal garden, before going to the indoor garden. That's all.

It doesn't hurt to have some anti-mite and a good spray can in case you find some. It's easy to kill them if you have good tools, notice them early and have a small grow.

OfflineEvan
Medical Marvel

Folding@home Statistics
    #51413 - 06/04/08 11:49 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I use HEPA filters on all my intakes works like a champ. I don't know about spraying yourself before you go in by its nice to put on clean clothes before entering the room. I have a bleach tray that I step into before entering. Its also really important to bleach and sanatize EVERYTHING that you bring into the room and inbetween runs I clean the shit out of my rooms and then bug bomb them. Haven't had a problem yet, thank god!

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Theory On Spider Mite Prevention [Re: Evan]
    #51617 - 06/05/08 11:08 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Evan said:
I use HEPA filters on all my intakes works like a champ.

Sweet, I knew it had to be common sense enough that other people would have thought of it as well. :smile: Bleaching things sounds like a good idea, not wearing the same clothing after walking around the park sounds great too. Maybe he'll have to keep a pair of sandals near the room to switch shoes and, beyond that, I'm sure its enough to keep those fuckers out of there. :thumbup:

Annom, he'll definitely secure some sort of treatment just in case. He'd hate to be stuck in a situation of having to wait to track something down or have it shipped while everything is getting fucked. That's why he'll be getting two HPS bulbs from the start as well. :wink:

I guess this thread could have went to the Doctor's Diagnosis forum as well, but figured to put it here since it involves setting up one's room. :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineEvan
Medical Marvel

Folding@home Statistics
    #52680 - 06/06/08 09:23 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

The thing with the HEPA filters though is that you have to find the ones that are thick enough that spider mites won't come in, but not too thick. They do SIGNFICANTLY cut down on the air flow.  I ended pulling the HEPAs apart to get it thin but not too thin, it really depends on how it is threaded. I'm lucky to have an infinite supply of free filters where I work.

I'm also lucky to live at a high elevation where spidermites don't like it as much. Good luck to your buddy, cleanliness and sanitation is probably the most overlooked part of growing and is incredibly important. Spidermites will put you in debt! Happy growing  :rastamon:

edit: also wanted to mention if at all possible make your intake from the floor it brings in the coolest air possible, super handy in the summer time.

Edited by Evan (06/06/08 09:35 PM)

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Theory On Spider Mite Prevention [Re: Evan]
    #52970 - 06/07/08 06:14 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Evan said:
The thing with the HEPA filters though is that you have to find the ones that are thick enough that spider mites won't come in, but not too thick. They do SIGNFICANTLY cut down on the air flow.  I ended pulling the HEPAs apart to get it thin but not too thin, it really depends on how it is threaded. I'm lucky to have an infinite supply of free filters where I work.

I anticipated the hampening of air flow, and my friend will be using a smaller intake fan to bring the air in through the filter and up closer to the entrance of the grow room. How long do you typically go before you need to replace the filter?

--------------------

OfflineEvan
Medical Marvel

Folding@home Statistics
    #53003 - 06/07/08 09:28 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

After one run the filter gets pretty brown, I don't know how much that would really stop the air flow though. I personally change it every 2 months because I don't have to pay for them. Your friend will just have to play it by ear. I'm sure even its its brown its not stopping that much air flow really, but then again its nice to have clean filters. Hope that helps, was sort of a vague answer. :strokebeard:

OfflineOneBigAssPlant
Stranger

#514114 - 01/15/11 08:43 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

SMK is used for spider mite prevention, plant nutrient enhancer, and is an amazing killer. Check out the ingredients. It is the only PH balanced product on the market for spider mites, and it is even created using reverse osmosis water. It is by far the best product out there, I have personally tried it and it is definitely the best I have tried. You can pick some up or research spider mites at spidermitekiller.net

Happy Growing!

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Loc: Don' worry bout it
Re: Theory On Spider Mite Prevention [Re: OneBigAssPlant]
    #514198 - 01/16/11 03:23 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

dude this thread is over two years old...

OfflineBigBudz
USA Mind Controls You!
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA USA Flag
Re: Theory On Spider Mite Prevention [Re: jkell]
    #515480 - 01/19/11 07:55 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

My spider mites assist with the issues I have with fly's. Mine only grow around my buds. Infact my budz are so resonious the spiders can't walk even on the leaves surrounding the budz, much less the actual buds.

On my grow without the mites, I have so many fly's that have hit my 1000W HPS lamps that are around nugz. I have to pick them off with tweezers, even though most are on the leaves surrounding the buds. If I had kept my spider mites alive in more numbers earlier, it would have been better.

The mites in my flowering room now which I let live only are on the very outsides of the bud leaves. They build webs that catch fly's. I've always been a friend of the simple spider. They can be your friend too if you do not fear them.

On the same token that must have been mind control, they were attacking my budz recently. I recommend the Vacuum. Spray after if you want or just Vacuum daily. Ain't that much extra effort.

--------------------
Art Music Music 2 Music 3

You are most likely being mind controlled if you live in the USA. The technology was discovered back in the late 1980's. You can easily see weird towers on government buildings...
http://www.cheniere.org/misc/sparkoflife.htm#mindcontrol

Edited by BigBudz (01/23/11 05:04 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies