Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCuban Strain

Grow Set Up Questions - Need Sound Advice
    #217075 - 04/18/09 10:24 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

The project I'm currently planning is the issue at hand. Once i get it where I want it, there will be two flowering rooms with 2 600w HPS lamps each. The rooms will be built inside of a bedroom in a house so there could be proper climate control. My first question is should I put 2 wall mounted units for air conditioning in each flower room and have an exhaust fan from the bedroom into the attic to vent the heat from the a/c units as well as the air leaving the grow rooms? Or can I just use the home's ac unit and run it throught both rooms then through the scrubber and then out through the exhaust into the attic?

The lights would be on in shifts. Two lights would be on from 6am - 6pm, and the other set of lights would be on from 6pm - 6am. And the rooms would be staggered so a crop would be ready every month. Or should I light both rooms up at 6am-6pm so there would be no heat to deal with during the night? What concerns me about that is the spike of electricity 2400w from 6am-6pm. For this set up would anti detection film be necessary (if two 600w HPS lights are on during the night hours?)

My main questions are with regard to the mother and clone room. Due to geographic location I don't want to grow more than 24 plants; and that must include the mother(s), clones and flowering plants. How many mothers would I need for a set up like this? Would two suffice? Could I get by with one? If I did one I could do a mother and 24 growing plants but this doesn't sound possible. I'm probably looking at 3-4 mothers and 20 plants in staggered stages. My goal is to produce 2 pounds a month. Do you think this is feasible with a set up like this? How simple yet productive setup do I need for the mothers? I would like to keep them under flouros to minimize heat and energy. Do you recommend T5 or are T12 shoplights with a high color temp (6,500K) good enough?

And my last question is should I use soil or hydro? I'm inclined to use soil as it looks much more simple. But I am open to suggestions...

I want to thank you for taking the time to read and reply to this post.

Cheers,
CS

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejust me
GreenThumb
Male

Loc: MO/TX/FL/HI
Re: Grow Set Up Questions - Need Sound Advice [Re: Cuban Strain]
    #217080 - 04/18/09 10:51 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

SOILLLLL

:grin:

two mums sounds good, with one, youd have a waiting period. with 2 you could have perpetual harvest action

how big is the room? im not sure, but if its a full sized room, you shouldnt need air conditioning for a 600w light. just ventilation. and a fan

--------------------

-and for all your ETHNO SEEDS needs come see us @ www.freeseedring.nl

OfflineCuban Strain

Re: Grow Set Up Questions - Need Sound Advice [Re: just me]
    #217107 - 04/18/09 12:41 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Well the room is roughly a 9x11. Inside I will build two 4 1/2x6 rooms where the actual grow space in each room will be 3x6 topped by two 600w HPS lights. There will be 5-6 plants under each light or 11 plants to every two lights. I need to do two seperate rooms within the bedroom to minimize heat to exterior walls, and allow for staggering of crops...

So basically it comes down to does a 5x6 with two 600w HPS need air conditioning? Could I just keep the home ac unit running 24/7 and purchase a climate control unit for each room? Would that be more practical than installing two wall-mounted a/c units?

Again, thanks for the replies.

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

Loc: your momma's house
    #217336 - 04/18/09 11:37 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Do a SOG and get rid of that wall. All you will need is a small area for both the mothers and vegetative plants. The rest use for the SOG. two 600W sounds great. I would keep 2 mother's, and put 2 clones in the SOG about every 5-8 days (approx- strain dependent). A light mover, 12+" oscillating fan, and appropriate exhaust will deal with the lamp heat fine. You may just want to monitor the room for a while, and see if improvements need to be made along the way. You won't have to run the air 24/7. Stop stressing so much :wink:

Welcome to the growery!

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

Offlinejust me
GreenThumb
Male

Loc: MO/TX/FL/HI
Re: Grow Set Up Questions - Need Sound Advice [Re: ethnoguy]
    #217353 - 04/19/09 01:02 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

:yesnod:

cuban? do you have 4 600watt all together?

--------------------

-and for all your ETHNO SEEDS needs come see us @ www.freeseedring.nl

OfflineCuban Strain

Re: Grow Set Up Questions - Need Sound Advice [Re: just me]
    #217408 - 04/19/09 05:21 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Well as of right now I have one 600w HPS. Originally I wanted to go with 2. Then after some thought I figured since they are going to be on 12 hrs why not get four lights and have two on when the other two are off...

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

#217418 - 04/19/09 09:23 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I don't understand why you want some on and some off at the same time. Whats the benefit? If you are wanting a couple pounds and don't want to do a SOG, all you will need are two 600W for flowering and a 400W for mothers/clones (veg).

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #217629 - 04/19/09 06:14 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

The reason he wants to go with 4 lights instead of two is so he can use a flip-flop so that his ballasts run 24/7 but each room gets 12/12. He would only need to buy 2 ballasts but they would power 4 lamps.

My problem with sog is he would need a much higher plant count, 24 plants will not utilize his full 1200w of flowering light in a sog setup.

As far as how many mothers you will need, I bet you could get away with just one because of how few plants you plan to run (12 clones per month isn't very many.) I would let her get pretty big in a dedicated grow space (can anyone say hydro mother?) If you have the money I believe T5's are more efficient than T12's so you may as well use them for your mothers and clones.

Hydro Vs. Soil: In your case, I would only consider hydro. You are going to want to veg those plants for a while before you flip them into flower so you may as well get the most growth while you can. The only problem with hydro for you is staying all organic. It can be done, but it is much more challenging than in soil. Another great benefit to you is that you won't have to deal with waste soil which can accumulate pretty quickly in large perpetual grows. 

For climate control you have another option, a free standing air conditioning unit. You get the benefit of simplicity that the home ac unit provides with the efficiency of not having to cool the entire house. Just make sure that if you use a free standing unit you drain the waste water into the sewer system as some smell will be trapped and if it is run outside the house, a canine may be able to detect your grow.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

Re: Grow Set Up Questions - Need Sound Advice [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #217707 - 04/19/09 08:51 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Alright, I get it now. Sounds like a lot of wear and tear on a couple ballast IMO. Not to mention that you can't ever leave town for a couple of days.

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #217717 - 04/19/09 10:04 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Why can't you leave town? The flip-flop is timer controlled, couple that with a large rez, an automatic top-off system, and you could let that thing run for a week untouched.

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

OfflineCuban Strain

#217754 - 04/19/09 11:20 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Yea I was thinking about it and came up with this idea. If two lights produce about two pounds, you could double that by having two lights on while the other two lights are off in the other room... It would basically be like having two 600w HPS on 24/7 which would cost about $70 a month. And if I do like the Doc suggested and use t5's for the mother and clones I should be in good shape.

So how much more expensive would an automated hydro system compare to an manual soil system?

And what about if I put one light on a mover in each room? Would the yield still be roughly a pound a light?

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

#217794 - 04/20/09 01:27 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Dr. Penguin said:
Why can't you leave town? The flip-flop is timer controlled, couple that with a large rez, an automatic top-off system, and you could let that thing run for a week untouched.

There is a proper ballast timer that could switch between lamps? Thats news to me, but I haven't been in the market for any timers either.

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

OfflineCuban Strain

#218180 - 04/21/09 04:44 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Man that's what I gotta get. With a ballast and two lights i could roughly get a pound a month with a flip-flop system and staggered crops.

Do you guys know where to get one of these?

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #218201 - 04/21/09 08:22 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Unfortunately you will pay an arm and a leg for a premade flip-flop. I have seen them cost upwards of 1000$. If you are relatively enterprising you could make your own for about 100$.

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

#218210 - 04/21/09 09:40 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Dr. Penguin said:
Unfortunately you will pay an arm and a leg for a premade flip-flop. I have seen them cost upwards of 1000$. If you are relatively enterprising you could make your own for about 100$.

Would you mind elaborating. Now I gotta know :yesnod:

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

OfflineCuban Strain

#218225 - 04/21/09 10:08 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Yea Doc, feel free to explain the basics if you will. This is definitely worth the trouble.

Think about it. You eliminate a 600w spike every 12 hours, and you can double your crop. It's a no-brainer where I come from...Please!!!...lol

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #218532 - 04/22/09 08:10 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

All they are is a set of relays that are controlled by a timer so when the timer is on the relay connects the ballast to the first light and when the timer is off, the ballast connects to the second light. You can buy them premade by companies like C.A.P. for 500$-1000$, you can pay someone to build you one (;)), or you can build one yourself by picking up a basic electronics textbook and making sure one of the tutorial off the web won't kill you.

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies