Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinestone.keith
Stranger
need grow room advice
    #649443 - 12/04/12 03:52 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

ok so im working on my first serious indoor grow and could really use some advice.  first of all im working on a budget and want to save as much as possible with both start up and energy costs, but with that being said id also rather spend more upfront and do it right then pay a huge energy bill every month, i plan on growing in soil btw. im not looking for the gigantic yeilds or to supply everyone and there mothers here either but once i get comfortable i would like to step up n have a good constant amount.

first thing is that i have two rooms to decide to grow in, i have a 2 bedroom house with a second story loft like room. so its either one of my main floor bedrooms or the loft. sorry about the shitty pics btw.the main reasons im wondering which one to use is that i live in the northern mid west u.s. with cold cold winters(20-35 fahrenhiet) and hot summers(65-85). so i guess id be fighting the heat in the upstairs during the summer more?

more importantly im not familiar at all with hooking up a good ventilation system in either room. the main floor room has a closet that would probably come in handy, two full sized windows and one intake and one outake for the houses furnace both on floor but could be wrong bc i dont really know anything about them. i have no central air if that makes any difference.

i do have a bit of growing experience and im familiar with regulating temps and humidities but could use some advice on best sectioning off the grows-babies-vegging-fruiting etc

what lights are the most energy efficent?
whats a good cheap insulator for my walls?

ok thanks everyone for reading i would really appreciate any advice sorry for the typos and i know i asked alot of questions/ranted and everyone will say i should search the answer before posting but really my two main real questions are which room and advice venting them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: need grow room advice [Re: stone.keith]
    #649444 - 12/04/12 03:58 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I vote loft. Little foot traffic, you could vent to the attic (if there is one), and you could easily set up a small perpetual grow in that space.
What's the hottest it will get in that area in the summer?

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflineNameInUse
Strange
Male User Gallery

Re: need grow room advice [Re: 81renaissance]
    #649447 - 12/04/12 04:21 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I totally agree with the loft. It's perfect.

--------------------
But then an even greater force emerged: The un! And the un un-nazi'd the world! Forever!

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #649450 - 12/04/12 04:39 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quick note about that loft.  If there's no attic above it, and you live in a snow prone area, I would nix the idea and go with the main floor room...looks suspicious when your house is the only one on the block without snow on the roof.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Offlinestone.keith
Stranger
    #649452 - 12/04/12 04:52 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

there are small crawl spaces on both sides of the loft.it can get very hot in their in the summer though i believe? i came in around the end and without ac in the window it collected alot. 5-10 above the outside temp?     

looking for the most energy efficient way here.

one attic side does seem to contain the chimney? for the furnace. ill have pics soon.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #649453 - 12/04/12 05:16 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

If your just trying to get enough for personal, why don't you get a small tent, like a 4x4 and use that? Its much easier to keep a tent dark instead of an entire room. Plus you could keep a mother plant and other grow stuff in the room. Both of those rooms look large for a personal grow.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offlinestone.keith
Stranger
Re: need grow room advice [Re: phychotron]
    #649541 - 12/05/12 04:31 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I planned on sanctioning off just past the stairs in the loft to close it off. Tents seem pretty expensive but you some advice on sectioning to optimize light use and energy use. The stairs are just before the railing in the picture btw.

Another venting question where should I be pulling my intake from ? Especially now with winter coming ?

Edited by stone.keith (12/05/12 04:34 AM)

OfflineCerveau
 User Gallery

#649550 - 12/05/12 07:15 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

stone.keith said:
ok so im working on my first serious indoor grow and could really use some advice.  first of all im working on a budget and want to save as much as possible with both start up and energy costs, but with that being said id also rather spend more upfront and do it right then pay a huge energy bill every month, i plan on growing in soil btw. im not looking for the gigantic yeilds or to supply everyone and there mothers here either but once i get comfortable i would like to step up n have a good constant amount.

first thing is that i have two rooms to decide to grow in, i have a 2 bedroom house with a second story loft like room. so its either one of my main floor bedrooms or the loft. sorry about the shitty pics btw.the main reasons im wondering which one to use is that i live in the northern mid west u.s. with cold cold winters(20-35 fahrenhiet) and hot summers(65-85). so i guess id be fighting the heat in the upstairs during the summer more?

more importantly im not familiar at all with hooking up a good ventilation system in either room. the main floor room has a closet that would probably come in handy, two full sized windows and one intake and one outake for the houses furnace both on floor but could be wrong bc i dont really know anything about them. i have no central air if that makes any difference.

i do have a bit of growing experience and im familiar with regulating temps and humidities but could use some advice on best sectioning off the grows-babies-vegging-fruiting etc

what lights are the most energy efficent?
whats a good cheap insulator for my walls?

ok thanks everyone for reading i would really appreciate any advice sorry for the typos and i know i asked alot of questions/ranted and everyone will say i should search the answer before posting but really my two main real questions are which room and advice venting them.

I picked up a Diamond series 100w LED, its $300 from advancedledlights.com

I went with an LED because I want to keep my electric bill down and don't mind paying a little more upfront. I also don't really have the room for a ballast and hood. Not to mention they usually give off mostly blue or red spectrum light so you'll need one for the vegetation phase and one for the fruiting phase whereas with my LED on full spectrum (11 bandwidths of light, 3w chips) I don't need to dick around with changing lights, its a matter of flipping a switch. I'm essentially paying for convenience. My pumps use more power than my light does.

I live in an old house that was built in the 1920s and has poor insulation. I've covered my 3'x3' space with reflective mylar and even though the LED doesn't put out much heat, my closet is surprisingly warmer than the rest of my house. I also have black buckets and maybe the black buckets are putting out a lot of heat, I don't know.

Considering you would rather pay a little more up front and have lower bills in the future I'd say go with LEDs (they're $300 for the 100w and $500 for the 200w) over HPS/Metal halide ($120 for a 400w for both).

I'm only about two weeks into my grow with just the 100w LED so I can't tell you what yields will be like but I'm only growing for myself and only have two plants so I feel the light should be fine.

As far as the tents go, yes they are expensive and reflective mylar is only $14 for a 25'x50' roll, I used less than two on my closet. The benefit to a tent though, is they're sealed so in the case of say having a bucket spill over, the mess is contained in the tent and easy to clean.

I have used both tents and mylar and honestly I prefer mylar. I hope this helps OP.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #649553 - 12/05/12 07:34 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

tents are expensive, but not on ebay. you can get a decent 4x4 tent for ~$120 w/ free shipping.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: need grow room advice [Re: phychotron]
    #649571 - 12/05/12 10:31 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

If you're going to section up the room, skip the mylar (which is a PITA to work with IMO) and go for some kind of black/white poly like Panda Film.  White is actually much better at reflecting light than mirrored surfaces, and it is really easy to work with because it's heavy duty stuff.  You could easily frame out grow space in that room using plywood and 2x4's.  That said, a grow tent for veg and a grow tent for flower would be a lot less work than building custom spaces, and if you get a good tent, you don't have to worry about it being light-proof.
I'm not sold on LED's yet myself; I haven't used them, but the results I've been seeing just don't justify the cost of the technology at this point.  I recommend going straight through with a ceramic MH (veg and flower) that puts out at least 50 watts per square foot of grow space you're using.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Offlinestone.keith
Stranger
    #649654 - 12/05/12 06:34 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

here is the exaust pipe for my house. i believe its for the furnace? could i safely patch into that? im not connerned with the heat run off now during winter but during the summer i would need to get rid off better. have done some asking with old residents and i am told it will get pretty hot.

measured out sizes off the loft and the width is 14ft height is 82inchs in the middle for about five ft. then the declining ceiling as seen in picture. as for the length it is somewhat option as i figure creating a wall at some point would help with everything. can go out to about 13ft give out take at maximum.

i would like to make some kind of wood floor for the room, its some kind of cheap tile right now. was thinking raising it with two by fours? and ply wooding it over. to help with adding walls n water/dirt spills.thoughts? advice?

once again i as i plan my set up im trying to just think whats going to help me not pay so much in energy bills. i think most of this would be with air and temp regulation especially during summer. with running an ac unit i the window would i need to split the rooms down the middle? what is the best way to vent two rooms at once?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds