Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecheguerilla

First Grow, Advice Appreciated
    #223586 - 05/06/09 05:02 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

First off this is purely a practice run with low grade bag seed plants, nothing to lose, but experience to gain. these are my plants, 5 total, im assuming the taller ones are sativa and the shorter three are indica, correct? i succesfully topped the 2 sativas a week ago, and today topped 2 indicas. 1 indica, the foremost in the pic, seems to be growing abnormally. instead of uniform dual nodes it is alternating right left, etc, and im not sure where/when to top the apical meristem.

the indicas began with 3-leaf clusters then developed the normal 5-leaf clusters, is this normal?

i know indicas are supposed to be broader leafed but is this to wide or is it nothing to worry about?

i have noticed red mites and a few black ants on the plant and soil. i applied a tea made from simmering basil, garlic, onions, crushed pepper, mint, lavender, bugler loose leaf tobacco, and a few drops of organic/biodegradable eucalyptus hemp soap. sprayed this lightly on the plants and dampened the ground around the pots. any thing to improve this? worry about? i also thought of sprinkling orange peels around the plants as additional deterrent.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAKSE

Re: First Grow, Advice Appreciated [Re: cheguerilla]
    #223602 - 05/06/09 06:09 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

cheguerilla said:
im assuming the taller ones are sativa and the shorter three are indica, correct?

Most plants are a mixed breed of both Sativa and Indica.  It's safe to assume that the taller plant with thinner broader leaves are Sativa dominant.  It's also safe to assume that the shorter, wider leaved plants are Indica dominant.

Quote:

the indicas began with 3-leaf clusters then developed the normal 5-leaf clusters, is this normal?

Yes.  For whatever reason, most of the outdoor plants I've observed have grown many sets (or sometimes all) 3 leaves, or other variations.  Also, the leaves of an outdoor plant seem to have a different look and texture vs. indoor/controlled environment.  Nothing to worry about.

Quote:

i know indicas are supposed to be broader leafed but is this to wide or is it nothing to worry about?

Yes, nothing to worry about, it's green and healthy.

Quote:

i have noticed red mites and a few black ants on the plant and soil....any thing to improve this? worry about?.

This unfortunatly sounds like a problem.  Not the Ants so much, but the red mites you observed are most likely Spider Mites, which can devestate a plant (or crop!).  I'm not very experience with dealing with Spider Mites, however here is a great link explaining what they are, how they damage plants, and how you can get rid of them.  When it all boils down to it though, for Spider Mites your best line of defense is prevention.  They're tough little buggers to get rid of!

Spider Mites
http://www.rollitup.org/general-marijuana-growing/691-spider-mites.html

Offlinebobby
TheKushFiles
Male User Gallery

Loc: upper sedimentary rock
Re: First Grow, Advice Appreciated [Re: AKSE]
    #223614 - 05/06/09 06:32 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

spider mites :makewar:  they are the DEVIL!!!!!

--------------------

Offlinecheguerilla

Re: First Grow, Advice Appreciated [Re: AKSE]
    #223643 - 05/06/09 07:28 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

thanks for the help, i looked at miticides and it seems a soap solution is best. definately helps to know about the leaves too.

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#223786 - 05/07/09 10:47 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

are the mites the little red ones that crawl around real fast all over rocks, the ground, etc?  if so, they are harmless.  if they are indeed spider mites, they will leave very distinct webbing all over your plants.  usually spider mites are not a problem outdoors because they are suppressed by natural predators.  they become problematic indoors because they are completely removed from the food chain and allowed to flourish.  i'm willing to bet that they aren't spider mites. don't get ahead of yourself and use insecticides unless you can confirm a spider mite infestation.  you will see webs and "bronzing" of the leaves as they feed off the chlorophyll.

ants are harmless unless they are farming aphids, so a few black carpenter ants are probably just out foraging, nothing to worry about.

the alternating nodes just means that your plants have reached sexual maturity, and are now able to flower if they were given the proper light cycle.  however, i assume you will be growing these ladies up over the summer under the sun, so this will not begin until the fall starts coming around.

and welcome to the growery :gethigh:

stick around and share some more pics as things progress.  you can upload your pictures to the site using the pics link under your screen name after you login.  it is much easier than linking to pics hosted on a third party site.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

Offlinecheguerilla

Re: First Grow, Advice Appreciated [Re: Yrat]
    #223994 - 05/07/09 06:16 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Yes they are bright red, and their are a relatively large amount of them but i have not seen any damage to the plants let alone webs, and theyve been there at least a week. contrary to plants with damaging mites, mine are almos perfect condition as far as leaf color and markings go, so i think your right about them being harmless. thanx guys for the help.

Offlinejerimha
stoner
Male
Loc: colorado Flag
    #791917 - 08/31/15 04:39 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

they might be spider mites but their are a lot of predators outdoors ive never had a prolem with them unless youre inside but neem oil seems to work very well when your plants are in vegative stage its easier than youre concoction and its all natural does this mixture of youre seem to detoure grasshoppers?

--------------------
I am he that lives and has no life I am the undead

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom