Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRascax
Marijunana Propogation Question
    #191779 - 02/03/09 01:08 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Hey guys, so I have heard that taking clones from clones will eventually result in a totally undesirable plant. So, could I keep a plant alive solely for the use of cloning without encountering any genetic problems down the line?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKine

Re: Marijunana Propogation Question [Re: Rascax]
    #191781 - 02/03/09 01:13 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Lol... They call them Mother Plants.  Its a plant that if done right can produce massive ammounts of clones for several years...

OfflineRascax
Re: Marijunana Propogation Question [Re: Kine]
    #191782 - 02/03/09 01:15 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply.

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#191809 - 02/03/09 05:38 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

check out this thread by Annom, it describes the whole process of growing and selecting a mother plant.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

Offlinemrspirit
man with spirit
Loc: hithertither
    #191833 - 02/03/09 09:55 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I have never heard that, can someone validate the truth to this statement/question?

Offlinejohnnyblaze2316
mr.
Male
Re: Marijunana Propogation Question [Re: mrspirit]
    #191878 - 02/03/09 12:43 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

they say start new moms every year, but imo/e they will provide longer than that, as long as you let them recoup and keep her healthy.

--------------------
CALIFORNIA PROP 215 MEDICINAL CANNABIS PATIENT!!!

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Trusted Cultivator
    #191883 - 02/03/09 12:54 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

so I have heard that taking clones from clones will eventually result in a totally undesirable plant.

I'm not sure if this is true. I've heard many stories of people who always make clones from clones and never saw any decrease in quality. I'm sceptical unless someone provides some evidence for this theory.
Quote:

So, could I keep a plant alive solely for the use of cloning without encountering any genetic problems down the line?

Yes, that's what most do.

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: Marijunana Propogation Question [Re: Annom]
    #191909 - 02/03/09 02:54 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i'd bet that the further you go down the lines of clone-from-clone-from-clone-etc the greater your chances of somehow altering the DNA (from so many cell-divisons), but the chance of that happening is still extreeemely small.

i wouldn't worry about it.  however, it is much easier to grow a mother and take clones from her.  i imagine that it is a lot less work compared to regrowing a mother-plant over and over and over.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root

OfflineNibin

Re: Marijunana Propogation Question [Re: Yrat]
    #191920 - 02/03/09 03:52 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

The cells of a mother plant have also sustained many divisions if kept for a long while and harvested continually.

Luckily for us plants have amazing DNA repairing mechanisms and have a greater control on telomere length so they can basically keep on growing pretty much indefinately if given the right conditions. This is probably due to the fact that a plant can't substitute old cells for newer ones once they die due to the presence of cell walls. For example, if one of your liver cells dies, the next door cell will divide and that cell will be replaced. In plants if a cell dies it still has a cell wall covering it so no other cell can move in to take its place. So each cell in the bottom inch of your plant, for example, will have been there since the plant stopped growing at that height.

I have seen invitro cultivations of relatively old plant tissues spring to life like young buds once the right hormone stimuli were present.

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: Marijunana Propogation Question [Re: Nibin]
    #191926 - 02/03/09 04:40 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Nibin said:
The cells of a mother plant have also sustained many divisions if kept for a long while and harvested continually.

right, but they all grow from one main base, all "second-generation" clones if you will.  by going from clone to clone to clone, you add an extra generation of cloning at each step, from 2 to 3, to 14 if you carried it on long enough.  you could potentially have a lot more "generations" of cell divisions. 

again, the chance of any abnormality surfacing is still exceedingly small, but the chance of it occuring at all is somewhat greater compared to the mother->clone process.

--------------------

~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root

OfflineKine

#191961 - 02/03/09 06:22 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I can understand the theory... i know with mushrooms you can really only G2G so much before the cells just stop.  I forgot to ask the gardener (i work with a green house lol) about this today!  But i will find out a deffinite answer.... but i agree with the theory that cloneing a clone leads to inbreeds... ewww...

Offlinemrspirit
man with spirit
    #191966 - 02/03/09 07:00 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

g2g is not a cloning :crazy2:

OfflineKine

#191971 - 02/03/09 07:21 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

no, but still a concept that makes me believe it.  Its the theory... nothing in concrete yet.  But i like to try and relate something i DONT know to something i DO know to try and hypothesize my opinion...

I was just saying i can understand where that comes from... because of things like G2G having a stopping point...

Offlinemrspirit
man with spirit
    #191977 - 02/03/09 07:26 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Right, I understand why you said that. I was just reminding you :smile:

OfflineKine

#191980 - 02/03/09 07:29 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Well, after some research, i found this!  http://www.gardenscure.com/420/propagation/36713-over-cloning.html One guy says...

"If you clone the clone you will lose some vigor and bud size, but not much. If you clone the clone of the clone of the clone etc etc, you will lose much of the desired traits, and end up with as you said crap weed."

Then it said to check out another thread but i dont wana sign up to gain the search function to find the other thread... lol.  sry... anyone care to do such?

It makes sense sort of... Because while it may have the same genetics i personally think it sort of stresses it and you loose traits and such.  Cause i always wanted to do SOG with no mothers... just about 2-3 weeks into flower take a clone or two from each plant... boom... new crop.  But i cant find any evidence of this being done and such...

Offlineyellownotepad
Pharmaceutical Agriculturalist
 User Gallery

#192116 - 02/03/09 11:56 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

what you guys are talking about is called senescence, and it doesnt happen in weed clones from what i've read, and my experience with taking clones of clones of clones of clones of clones.

Offlinemrspirit
man with spirit
Re: Marijunana Propogation Question [Re: yellownotepad]
    #192154 - 02/04/09 12:37 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Straight from the horses mouth, there ya have it.

I trust yellownotepad's word, and I have no reason to.

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#192178 - 02/04/09 05:36 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mrspirit said:
I trust yellownotepad's word, and I have no reason to.

:confused:

--------------------

~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root

Offlinemrspirit
man with spirit
    #192202 - 02/04/09 11:06 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Me too Yrat, me too. :crazy2:

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #192208 - 02/04/09 12:00 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Lol, this is a long conversation with no answer. May I step in? I am a plant biology grad student and deal with this sort of question every day.

Senesence in fungi and animals (related to age) is very different than in plants (where it is related to the cycle of loosing leaves based on environmental factors) , so lets get rid of the term for now.

Nibin was spot on when he described the DNA repair mechanisms in plants as related to their age. Unlike most organisms, plant cells will not stop dividing after a certain number of divisions which is what causes genetic aging in in these other organisms. What this means is that under perfect conditions plants can age indefinitely.

Now no system is perfect, but in practice, a mother plant will continue to produce fantastic clones for it's entire life span without any mutation or degraded performance.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate