Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelopan
 User Gallery

Re: Day 17 [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #138711 - 10/30/08 08:13 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

There is no runoff...  I guess I am not watering enough?
I can not remember the name of the ferts (Tiger Something) - I will write them down in the morning when I check on my plants.

Could the HPS have been too close, burning the plants?  The area isn't that hot, but I am wondering if there is just too much light, or if they do need some dark-time.

Anyone else want to chime in about the exhaust fan? :-D

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Day 17 [Re: lopan]
    #138938 - 10/31/08 09:36 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Marijuana is a C4 plant which doesn't require a dark period, 24/0 will provide the fastest growth. Those really don't look like light burns to me. Light burns are usually much bigger and result in bleaching of the leaves. Next time you water, water them until water runs out the bottom of the pots. Check the Ph of this runoff with a digital Ph meter or litmus strips and let us know what the Ph is.

As for the exhaust fan, you can buy 8" (it looks like 8" I'm not sure) flange fittings at home depot. Grab some caulk, seal the edges, screw down the flange and attach ducting. But that fan will not be strong enough to provide the ventilation you will need. That kind of fan cannot be connected to a carbon scrubber so as soon as full flower comes on, you are going to have some stink outside your house. Be careful.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Offlinelopan
 User Gallery

#139066 - 10/31/08 06:20 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

OK,

PH of water before watering - ~6.5
PH of runoff of the smaller plant - ~6.0
PH of runoff of the larger plant - ~5.0

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #139200 - 11/01/08 12:37 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds like your Ph might be a bit low. You can water with a touch of hydrated lime if you'd like. Hydrated lime is a quick fix, it will raise the Ph for about a week or so. Next time you transplant, add a bit of quick lime or garden lime to the mix, that should buffer your soil to about where you need it. If fixing the Ph doesn't solve your problem, we can try something else. Good luck!

P.S. Any word on the type of fert you are using?

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Edited by Dr. Penguin (11/01/08 09:26 PM)

Offlinelopan
 User Gallery

#139270 - 11/01/08 05:46 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

OK, so, lime is used to raise PH?  (You said "lower the Ph for about a week").  I added worm castings, garden gypsum, bone meal and vermiculite to the soil when I transplanted - could it have been too much of this stuff (the first 3, I suppose)?

I am using Foxfarm Grow Big (6-4-4) and Tiger Bloom (2-8-4).  When i transplanted, I used both.  During the last watering, I used only the former.

Also, could it be heat?  The sensor in the pot was reading 90 when I just checked up there.

I need to go out and buy some of those pitpot things so that I can germinate new seeds...  I hate putting them from the shot glass, right into a solo cup.

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #139311 - 11/01/08 09:23 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Raise the Ph, sorry. (Post edited).  Those are good nutes, they shouldn't be causing any sort of micro nutrient deficiencies. With temperatures above 90o it could definitely be heat stress. Try fixing the Ph and lowering the temperatures, that should fix you up. Let me know what happens.

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Offlinelopan
 User Gallery

#140483 - 11/04/08 10:23 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Heat has been corrected and I have begun foliar feeding with straight-up PH-corrected (used vinegar and baking soda) filtered water and the leaves are still quite yellow.  The plants are definitely growing, and the smell is ridiculous, but yellow.

Either today or tomorrow I will be watering the plants, the first time with the PH adjusted water.

I am also considering buying a 600w MH light to use in place of the HPS, until I begin budding.

Will follow up soon!

Offlinelopan
 User Gallery

#141854 - 11/06/08 07:43 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

OK.

Went to the hydro store yesterday, bought PH up an down, and a 600w MH blue-tinted light (to replace the HPS light).  Only digital PH meeters that they had are above $100...  Screw that, I'll use my drops and vial.

Came home, swapped the light, corrected the PH of the water, watered, and tested run off.  Runoff was a little low (6.0ish).

Been a little over 24 hours since.  Just checked on them and WOW.  Not only are the leaves returning to a green color, but the plant has grown at least an inch.

I'll give it a few more days (or at least until the next watering), and hopefully the leaves will be back to their dark-green coluor.

Thanks for the help!

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #142177 - 11/07/08 01:26 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Ha, Ph is crucial. Glad to hear that the quality Ph up/down is working out for you.

Hows the construction coming? Lets see some pics. :thumbup:

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Offlinelopan
 User Gallery

#142623 - 11/08/08 09:08 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

The plants are really growing.  Like whoa.  The watt / square-foot ratio is very high.

Construction is on hold...

I'll have to take some pictures of the plants - still some yellowing going on.

Edited by lopan (11/28/08 09:56 AM)

Offlinelopan
 User Gallery

Day 28 [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #142731 - 11/09/08 10:42 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Here be the pictures!

How do these look for day 28?  These have been on 24/0 with a 600w HPS, and just recently a MH.
As you can see, some of the leaves are quiet yellow...  Wondering if I should just snip them off, or let them go?  Why aren't they re-greening like the rest of the leaves?
Should the light be closer or further?

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Day 28 [Re: lopan]
    #142759 - 11/09/08 11:24 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Some leaves will just never regreen. I usually cut my damaged leaves off when they are 3/4 dead. I would take off a couple of your bottoms leaves but the plants look pretty robust. Also, I would think about flushing the pots out really well, the tips of the new growth is still yellow. If you flush it, use the ferts as directed, and the ph up/down only when required, I think they will fully green up in no time. Good luck.

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Trusted Cultivator
    #142762 - 11/09/08 11:26 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

What's the distance between the tops and the light? The leaves look like it may be a bit too hot.

Don't worry about the old leaves. You can just let them go. They will not recover. It's important that new leaves stay healthy.

Offlinelopan
 User Gallery

Re: Day 28 [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #143611 - 11/11/08 01:25 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

So how exactly do I flush?  With water, I assume.  I guess flushing is giving them enough water that the runoff is just flowing out?

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #143705 - 11/11/08 05:12 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Yup, you flush with water. I usually do ~ 3-4 times the volume of the pot. So if I have them in 1gal pots, use 3-4 gal water. Or you can put them in the sink/tub and turn the water on to a trickle and let it run through the soil for about a half hour.

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Offlinelopan
 User Gallery

#144346 - 11/13/08 10:41 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I like your new avatar, Doctor. :smile:

So, I flushed the soil yesterday and man did I make a mess.  I figured that the plants would be in horrible condition today...  Man am I wrong!  They are dark green and flourishing!  Amazing.  Last time I am going to do a soil grow...  Can't wait to do hydro!

So with my next watering, I will reintroduce the fertilizers, though only at 75% or so.  Should I add ferts to my foliar feeding?

Today is the 1-month mark of my plants.  I wonder how much longer I will keep them on 24/0 lighting, before switching to budding...  Wonder if I want to mess with a mother / clones as well...

Temperature is becoming more of an issue (or not).  The ambient temperature up there is around 55, and the temperature around the pots is around 60...  Regardless, the plants seem to be growing just fine.

Edited by lopan (11/13/08 10:43 AM)

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #144368 - 11/13/08 01:23 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks, I like it too. Much better than the shitty photoshop one I had.

Yup, I usually don't mess with soil because its a mess and a pain in the ass. I'm glad to hear the flush went well for ya though. I thought it would help.

I personally never foliar feed. Leaves are for light, roots are for nutes in my opinion. The only time I ever spray my leaves is when I get an immobile element deficiency. Otherwise there are just too many things that could hurt more than help.

I vote for trying clones. They save so much time and effort in the long run. No guessing about sex, you know exactly what they like and don't like, constant yield, and all the plants are all uniform in size/growth pattern (a huge help later for you when you want to set up your tiers.)

Those temps are very low, I'd be worried about it personally. Growth rate is directly proportional to tempearature (up to a point ~85F). So the warmer it is, they faster you see results. A little space heater with a themostat would be a wise investment.

Keep up the good work and picture posting!

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #144382 - 11/13/08 03:23 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

i'd put some money down on a P or Mg deficiency judging by the looks of your leaves.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineGROWPUPPET
Marijuana
Male

Re: Lets build a grow room! [Re: lopan]
    #144623 - 11/14/08 01:09 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for making this thread! I have already learned a few things from it. I wish you the best of luck, Keep posting your progress so we can all learn from your triumphs and tragedies :thumbup:

--------------------
I'M A CULTIVATION PUPPET LEARNING HOW TO GROW ENOUGH WEED TO SUPPORT MY AND ALL MY TRUE FRIENDS HABITS, SO WE NEVER HAVE TO BUY THE STUFF AGAIN AND CAN INVEST ALL THE MONEY WE'RE GOING TO SAVE INTO A WEED GROWING OPERATION ON THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON.

Offlinelopan
 User Gallery

Day 31 [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #144905 - 11/14/08 07:43 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Linux user, by any chance?

Now that the plants are over a month old, should I just get some of those little rockwoll cubes, clip off a cuttling, and try cloning with the hormone stuff?

Also, smell is becoming a huge problem.  If I go and build a carbon scrubber, are there any other types of (cheaper) fans that I could use?  6" inline fans cost a whole lot of money...

I put a small space heater up there and set the thermostat to 80f - lets see what happens next!

GrowPuppet:
Happy to help, be it inadvertently or not. :smile:

And now pictures of day 31 (Two pictures of each plant):

Do they look big, small, fat, skinny?  Just want to know how they look for day 31...

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies