Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Coco Growers Thread. [Re: captain.koons]
    #81893 - 07/13/08 12:52 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, I'm wrong on the 5, remembered the stuff wrong.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesen
Male

Re: Coco Growers Thread. [Re: Sirius]
    #117325 - 09/02/08 06:48 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

What will adding epsom salts to my coir do? I read somewhere that it is good to add them but I don't remember if there was any amount stated.

Does 50ppm in the water sound right?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Coco Growers Thread. [Re: sen]
    #117604 - 09/03/08 04:18 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Epsom salts is used primarily for the magnesium, but it also has sulfur. A gram per gallon will have 26ppm of Mg and 34ppm of S. Whether or not you actually need to be using it depends on your water and the nutrients you are using. If you're using tap-water, it could very well have all the magnesium you'll need, especially if you're using coco-specific nutrients. Coco nutrients and reverse osmosis water might not have enough of it though. I've read that, generally, its a good idea to aim for about 60ppm of Mg. :wink:

--------------------

Offlinesen
Male

#117716 - 09/03/08 01:11 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

So I should just get a hold of this?

Hanky: All Canna... Coco a+b, PK 13/14, Cannazyme and Rhizotonic.

In the mean time, while I wait for these nutes, what can I do in the mean time? I am cloning directly to flushed coir, with tap water thats been left to sit for 12 hrs. I haven't noticed any problems yet, should I expect any?

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #117772 - 09/03/08 04:08 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

sen said:

Of the Epsom salts? It'd certainly be handy to have it around just in case, and if you don't need it, you can always soak your feet in it. :wink:

Quote:

In the mean time, while I wait for these nutes, what can I do in the mean time? I am cloning directly to flushed coir, with tap water thats been left to sit for 12 hrs. I haven't noticed any problems yet, should I expect any?

How long until you get your nutrients, and how many days has it been since you've cloned? We just cloned directly into coco and it is easy as hell, just make sure you keep the coco just moist enough and enough humidity and it should work out fine. Did you soak the flushed coir in pH adjusted water?

--------------------

Offlinesen
Male

#117809 - 09/03/08 06:49 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

sen said:

Hanky: All Canna... Coco a+b, PK 13/14, Cannazyme and Rhizotonic.

I meant the coco specific nutrients that Hanky was talking about at the beginning of the thread.

I already have epsom salts I bought it when I picked up the coco because I read that I might need it.

As for flushing I just used my hot water in my shower. I don't have pH test kit. The expensive ones are just out of reach of my current finances and I am so unsure of the cheaply available ones that I've never bought one.

Is there an easy way to lower the pH a notch without the need for excessive specialty measures? Meaning a trip to possibly a grocery or hardware store instead of a hydro specific shop.

Would vinegar work? In small amounts obviously. Or is that going the opposite way on the scale? I'm unsure.

Anyway thanks for your help in this matter.

Oh shit, I almost forgot. The clones were cut dipped and planted yesterday. I have plenty more where those came from if there is any problems. They're all under domes and humidity is good. Little wilting in the leaves but nothing more than I usually encounter after 24 hours. I expect it to go away in the next day or so.

Getting the coco specific nutrients for this endeavor is turning out to be the difficult part it seems for a few reasons. 1st being there is no Hydro shops, 2nd because I don't have paypal/credit card to buy online.

I do however have access to lots of compost and I use compost tea usually for fertilizer. Maybe there's a way to get more nitrogen available to balance the K? Maybe I'm starting to ramble lol.

Let me know I'm willing to try anything ^_^

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #118870 - 09/05/08 05:46 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

sen said:
I meant the coco specific nutrients that Hanky was talking about at the beginning of the thread.

Yep, I'd definitely recommend getting those nutrients. I have a similar coco-specific line by someone else, but Canna is renowned, and you're definitely going to need the A&B and PK 13/14. I don't know too much about rhizotonic, but cannayzme is really good for keeping the roots healthy by decomposing dead root matter and providing for beneficial bacteria that assist with nutrient uptake.

Quote:

As for flushing I just used my hot water in my shower. I don't have pH test kit. The expensive ones are just out of reach of my current finances and I am so unsure of the cheaply available ones that I've never bought one.

In the meantime, you'll definitely need to get the cheaply available ones (I'm assuming you're talking about something like test strips). While it isn't necessary to have the pH dialed in to an exact number, the optimum range that you'll really need for growing in coco (generally from 5.5 to 6.3) is usually a good deal more acidic than the water you'll be using, so adjusting the pH will be a must.

Quote:

Is there an easy way to lower the pH a notch without the need for excessive specialty measures? Meaning a trip to possibly a grocery or hardware store instead of a hydro specific shop.

Would vinegar work? In small amounts obviously. Or is that going the opposite way on the scale? I'm unsure.

I've heard vinegar will work, as well as lemon juice (I think I remember that lemon juice would be the better choice of the two), but these are really intended as temporary fixes, since they don't consist of buffering agents that will help stabilize the pH (basically, the pH will adjust down and then will drift right back up). While I couldn't say for sure without knowing the ingredients, I think pH down for aquariums (I think even Wal*Mart has this) would work.

Quote:

Getting the coco specific nutrients for this endeavor is turning out to be the difficult part it seems for a few reasons. 1st being there is no Hydro shops, 2nd because I don't have paypal/credit card to buy online.

I'd recommend getting a reloadable credit card from Wal*Mart. They give you a temporary card that you can use for the amount you initially load onto it, and then you'll get a permanent one in the mail in a week or so. I think it is like $10 to start it off, and then like $8 or so every time you want to load onto it (steep, but considering the service they are making available, its worth it).

Quote:

I do however have access to lots of compost and I use compost tea usually for fertilizer. Maybe there's a way to get more nitrogen available to balance the K? Maybe I'm starting to ramble lol.

If you can make that work for you, then there really wouldn't be a need for coco-specific nutrients, you'd just need to find the best way of making your teas to match the ways coco holds and releases nutrients. :wink:

--------------------

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #119509 - 09/08/08 11:45 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

To piggyback on Sirius' suggestions around pH balance, I actually would lean more toward temporary fixes for pH like citric acid (lemon juice) rather than pH stabilizers.
I agree that you NEED a pH testing kit of some sort, but once you have one, allowing some drift in the pH actually is beneficial because your plants' effectiveness at absorbing nutrients varies, with some nutes more accessible at a lower pH and some more accessible at a higher pH.
If you allow some CONTROLLED drift in pH your plants will be healthier IMO.
edit: I should state that this post is entirely theoretical and based on horticultural reading that I've been doing about cannabis from a variety of sources, I have not yet started growing, but I've been doing a lot of research so I think this info is accurate.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Edited by 81renaissance (09/08/08 11:47 AM)

OfflineChapter 4

Re: Coco Growers Thread. [Re: 81renaissance]
    #121542 - 09/13/08 12:04 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

quick question. 

i have read about coconut having good rooting hormones in them....could i use straight coco as a cutting medium?

my plats are growing ok in it, just wondering if its ok to stick some cuttings in some moist coco with a humidity tent under a light??

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Coco Growers Thread. [Re: Chapter 4]
    #121594 - 09/13/08 02:08 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

It should be more than okay. I don't know about the rooting hormones, but I've seen a lot of people saying they have great success going straight into coco. We tried taking our first set of clones a couple weeks ago, and we went with trying straight coco as well, since the benefit of having the same medium from the beginning is something we were looking for after having bad results going from rock-wool starting cubes to coco. 100% success! :wink:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals