Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinecannabispatient
GOD
Male User Gallery
Have a major problem
    #830074 - 12/01/17 12:46 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Hi,

I recently purchased one gram of shatter.
My caregiver gave it to me in a small aluminum foil zip lock baggie.
I immediately took it out and put it in a small glass vial with a screw on cap.
He said to store it in a cold place so i did.
The next day, I tried taking some out and I couldn't.
It's all crystalized into a solid mass, one large chunk that is stuck on the bottom of the glass vial.
I tried to scrape it out with a thin metal pick but it's no good, it won't break apart and none of it will come out.
What should I do?
How do I break it apart and get it out of the glass vial?
It's currently just a large solidified chunk sitting on the bottom of the glass vial.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

--------------------
I am Jah Jesus Christ Snoop Doggy Dogg Burning Marijuana Tree Lord Shiva King Death Row Kambodia Allah Mahavishnu Masta Killa King Wu-Tang Gautauma Buddha Om Krishna.
My name is Nishith Vijay a.k.a. CannabisPatient

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: Have a major problem [Re: cannabispatient]
    #830075 - 12/01/17 03:41 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

I've never worked with shatter, but whenever my concentrates get stuck in a container I usually go for a hard freeze.

First and foremost, go buy either a silicone storage container from your local smoke shop or at the very least some parchment paper. Concentrates in general stick to almost everything other than these two materials. I would recommend getting both, as you'll probably need to set up a "shatter shrapnel" catching area over the surface you are working on.

Crank the temp setting as low as it'll go on your freezer and pop the vial in there. Go find some thin cloth gloves to help insulate the heat from your hands, and maybe put some latex or nitrile gloves on over those if you want to keep product off of them.

Once you've given the vial and it's contents time to chill completely, use your metal pick to scrape and pry the frozen concentrates loose. You'll have to work quickly, as the stickiness of the concentrate quickly returns once it's out of the freezer. This is when you want that parchment paper to help catch any rogue chips that are falling out of the vial.

If that doesn't work, you could try a deep freeze with dry ice in a Styrofoam cooler, that may get it cold enough to shrink the whole mass and pull it away from the glass surface.

And a final Protip, glass vials are no good for sticky concentrates, and all concentrates are sticky, even if they are "solid". The problem is that they never are completely solid at normal temps, but form an amorphous, glassy mush at that slowly transitions from a thick liquid at high temps to a thicker liquid resembling a solid near room temp, much like asphalt. For this reason, they must be extremely cold in order for their adhesive properties to die off. Silicone storage containers are amazing for this sort of product, but if you don't have the money, storing in parchment paper in the freezer is probably the next best thing.

Hopefully someone with more experience with shatter can provide you with specifics if there are any to be had.

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

OfflineRider420
Stranger

#830083 - 12/01/17 12:26 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Heat will work much better. Let the vile reach room temperature then place the vile into a cup of water you just boiled wait five minutes check to see if its come loose, repeat until it does then scrape out.  Works for alcohol extracted hash oil as well as BTO oil and shatter is just oil that has been heated and whipped.

BTW there are silicon jars made just for storing oil and shatter check your local head shop or online. For example https://www.maryjaneshq.com/collections/storage/products/nogoo-the-original-non-stick-container if not Data is quite right parchment paper in the freezer is next best thing.

Best of luck

Edited by Rider420 (12/01/17 12:35 PM)

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Re: Have a major problem [Re: Rider420] * 1
    #830084 - 12/01/17 02:19 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Heat up the vial and dab it.

:awehigh:

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: Have a major problem [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #830086 - 12/01/17 04:27 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Deadkndys420 said:

Lawd mercy!

:homerdrool:

--------------------

Offlinecannabispatient
GOD
Male User Gallery
Re: Have a major problem [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #830090 - 12/01/17 11:15 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

I put the vial in the freezer several hours ago, hopefully it is frozen now and I can break apart and take it out now with the small pick that I have.

Quote:

Deadkndys420 said:

I also considered doing that.
But I would need to find the perfect sized straw to insert into the glass vial in order to do this, correct?

Thanks again for all the replies

--------------------
I am Jah Jesus Christ Snoop Doggy Dogg Burning Marijuana Tree Lord Shiva King Death Row Kambodia Allah Mahavishnu Masta Killa King Wu-Tang Gautauma Buddha Om Krishna.

Offlinecannabispatient
GOD
Male User Gallery
    #830091 - 12/02/17 07:47 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

This just in, I have an update.

I froze the vial for 8 hours last night, then took it out and was able to scrape probably 85% of it with my pick.

I scraped in into a piece of parchment paper that my caregiver gave me (I bought two more grams of shatter and he gave it to me folded inside a piece of parchment paper).

There is still a little bit stuck inside the sides and bottom of the glass vial, I think I will heat it up like rider420 suggested in order to get the rest out.

BTW could I put a suitable-sized straw in the glass vial and heat up the glass with a lighter and vaporize it right out of the vial, like deadkndys420 suggested?

thanks again

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#830092 - 12/02/17 07:55 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

You wanna be careful with that, heating a glass vial that isn't intended for heated applications can cause the vial to crack or even shatter.

The problem is that cheaper glasses has a higher thermal expansion rate, and may not be annealed properly, which means there are bands of uneven internal stresses in the glass. Normally this does nothing, but as the glass expands when heated (usually in an uneven way) these bands of high stress exceed the tensile strength of the glass.

Borosilicate glass (the kind that smoking apparatuses are made if) has a low thermal expansion rate, and is always thoroughly annealed after production, so that internal stresses are minimal and uniform.

I don't know what kind of glass your vial is made of, so I'll just offer caution...especially since the potentially exploding vial will be pretty close to your eyes. :shrug:

--------------------

Invisibledirtyneedle
JB
Female User Gallery

Loc: San Francisco
Re: Have a major problem [Re: Data]
    #830149 - 12/05/17 09:32 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

wth is shatter?

i originally thought crack.... and stuff like cracks in walls of confined spaces...eh...:heart:

--------------------

Offlinecannabispatient
GOD
Male User Gallery
Re: Have a major problem [Re: dirtyneedle]
    #830168 - 12/06/17 04:31 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

dirtyneedle said:
wth is shatter?

i originally thought crack.... and stuff like cracks in walls of confined spaces...eh...:heart:

It's a high potency extract of ganja flowers that looks like brownish-yellow shards of glass.
The stuff I have is 90% THC and is made from White Widow bud which was 16% THC.
I got most of it out of the vial now so there is no problem.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains