Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleP-O

Global warming / Extreme Weather
    #735762 - 06/11/14 03:29 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Ive been watching videos on global warming and extreme weather.  Listening to science lectures makes it seem more serious then i thought it was

I know this past winter here.  had many weather breaking days (cold).  So i wanna know what others think of this topic.

lets start off with a poll....
I believe in Global warming
You may choose only one
I believe Global warming is manmade
You may choose only one
I believe humanity Can reverse Global Warming
You may choose only one
I Believe we are fucked and mother nature will kick earth's ass in ....
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (06/11/14 01:28 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Global warming / Extreme Weather [Re: P-O] * 2
    #735799 - 06/11/14 06:35 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

New Climate Change Report Is Filled With Falsehoods

Posted 05/12/2014 06:51 PM ET

Climate: Not since Jimmy Carter falsely spooked Americans about overpopulation, the world running out of food, water and energy, and worsening pollution, has a president been so filled with doom and gloom as this one.

Last week's White House report on climate change was a primal scream to alarm Americans into action to save the earth from a literal meltdown. Maybe we should call President Obama the Fearmonger in Chief.

While scientists can argue until the cows come home about what will happen in the future with the planet's climate, we do have scientific records on what's already happened. Obama moans that the devastation from climate change is already here as more severe weather events threaten to imperil our very survival.

But, according to the government's own records — which presumably the White House can get — severe weather events are no more likely now than they were 50 or 100 years ago and the losses of lives and property are much less devastating.

Here is what government data reports and top scientists tell us about extreme climate conditions:

• Hurricanes: The century-long trend in Hurricanes is slightly down, not up. According to the National Hurricane Center, in 2013, "There were no major hurricanes in the North Atlantic Basin for the first time since 1994. And the number of hurricanes this year was the lowest since 1982."

According to Dr. Ryan Maue at Weather Bell Analytics, "We are currently in the longest period since the Civil War Era without a major hurricane strike in the U.S. (i.e., category 3, 4 or 5)"

• Tornadoes: Don't worry, Kansas. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says there has been no change in severe tornado activity. "There has been little trend in the frequency of the stronger tornadoes over the past 55 years."

• Extreme heat and cold temperatures: NOAA's U.S. Climate Extremes Index of unusually hot or cold temperatures finds that over the last 10 years, five years have been below the historical mean and five above the mean.

• Severe drought/extreme moisture: While higher than average portions of the country were subjected to extreme drought/moisture in the last few years, the 1930's, 40's and 50's were more extreme in this regard. In fact, over the last 10 years, four years have been below the average and six above the average.

• Cyclones: Maue reports: "the global frequency of tropical cyclones has reached a historical low."

• Floods: Dr. Roger Pielke Jr., past chairman of the American Meteorological Society Committee on Weather Forecasting and Analysis, reports, "floods have not increased in the U.S. in frequency or intensity since at least 1950. Flood losses as a percentage of U.S. GDP have dropped by about 75% since 1940."

• Warming: Even NOAA admits a "lack of significant warming at the Earth's surface in the past decade" and a pause "in global warming observed since 2000." Specifically, NOAA last year stated, "since the turn of the century, however, the change in Earth's global mean surface temperature has been close to zero."

Pielke sums up: "There is no evidence that disasters are getting worse because of climate change. ... It is misleading, and just plain incorrect, to claim that disasters associated with hurricanes, tornadoes, floods or droughts have increased on climate time scales either in the U.S. or globally."

One big change between today and 100 years ago is that humans are much more capable of dealing with hurricanes and earthquakes and other acts of God.

Homes and buildings are better built to withstand severe storms and alert systems are much more accurate to warn people of the coming storms. As a result, globally, weather-related losses have actually decreased by about 25% as a proportion of GDP since 1990.

The liberal hubris is that government can do anything to change the earth's climate or prevent the next big hurricane, earthquake or monsoon. These are the people in Washington who can't run a website, can't deliver the mail and can't balance a budget. But they are going to prevent droughts and forest fires.

The President's doomsday claims last week served mostly to undermine the alarmists' case for radical action on climate change. Truth always seems to be the first casualty in this debate.

This is the tactic of tyrants. Americans are wise to be wary about giving up our basic freedoms and lowering our standard of living to combat an exaggerated crisis.

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/051214-700561-obamas-climate-change-warning-frightens-but-doesnt-enlighten.htm

OfflineLivioDoubleFang
Outlaw of the Midwest
Male

Loc: United States Flag
Re: Global warming / Extreme Weather [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #735806 - 06/11/14 08:23 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Global warming is about as real as the Easter Bunny. Since the dawn of the Industrial Age, we have been putting much CO2 in the atmosphere - which in turn is used for food by plants to give us O2.

I cannot even fathom how Al Gore was able to win a Nobel Peace prize for this idiotic concept. It seems these days Nobel Peace prizes are being handed out for the most obscene of reasons. Back to topic - global warming is just a way to impose a global carbon tax thereby robbing everyone of even more money until the elites have total control. Couple this with all the shit they have been spraying in the skies and as well as putting into out food supply and the goal becomes clear: total global depopulation agenda.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Re: Global warming / Extreme Weather [Re: LivioDoubleFang]
    #735812 - 06/11/14 08:33 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I love it when people ignore science.  Makes me giggle.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleMycophile
 User Gallery

Re: Global warming / Extreme Weather [Re: LivioDoubleFang] * 2
    #735817 - 06/11/14 08:42 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Does it really matter if global warming is real? We are definitely polluting waterways (rivers, streams, lakes, oceans, ground water...) and destroying countless habitats and their resident species on a daily basis. Unfortunately most people only care about themselves and how much they can consume on a daily basis so this won't change any time soon.

OfflineLivioDoubleFang
Outlaw of the Midwest
Male

Loc: United States Flag
Re: Global warming / Extreme Weather [Re: Mycophile]
    #735820 - 06/11/14 08:54 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

You're completely right - most people do only care about themselves. Ever since taking the red pill and waking up 10 years ago, I have been making a conscious effort to awaken others in the hopes of turning the tide. Are my efforts too little too late? I certainly hope not.

InvisibleBlueBerry_SwisherS
Heart Slowed

Loc: Raw Headspace Flag
Re: Global warming / Extreme Weather [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #735824 - 06/11/14 09:45 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Hawksresurrection said:
I love it when people ignore science.  Makes me giggle.

--------------------

Let food be thy medicine

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: Global warming / Extreme Weather [Re: BlueBerry_Swisher]
    #735825 - 06/11/14 09:54 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

LivioDoubleFang said:
Global warming is about as real as the Easter Bunny. Since the dawn of the Industrial Age, we have been putting much CO2 in the atmosphere - which in turn is used for food by plants to give us O2.

I cannot even fathom how Al Gore was able to win a Nobel Peace prize for this idiotic concept. It seems these days Nobel Peace prizes are being handed out for the most obscene of reasons. Back to topic - global warming is just a way to impose a global carbon tax thereby robbing everyone of even more money until the elites have total control. Couple this with all the shit they have been spraying in the skies and as well as putting into out food supply and the goal becomes clear: total global depopulation agenda.

:doublefacepalm:

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

InvisibleBlueBerry_SwisherS
Heart Slowed

Loc: Raw Headspace Flag
Re: Global warming / Extreme Weather [Re: Data]
    #735826 - 06/11/14 10:14 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

agmotes165 said:
Quote:

LivioDoubleFang said:

--------------------

Let food be thy medicine

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

#735827 - 06/11/14 10:21 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

BlueBerry_Swisher said:
Quote:

agmotes165 said:
Quote:

LivioDoubleFang said:

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#735828 - 06/11/14 10:24 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Please find my comments on these shenanigans in the quote below...marked with a :rolleyes:

Anything marked with a :thumbdown: is marked for being a data point that is too short of a period to tell us anything about the overall climate shift...just sayin :shrug:

Other parts of this quote are marked up based on how I feel when i read it.

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
New Climate Change Report Is Filled With Falsehoods

Posted 05/12/2014 06:51 PM ET

Climate: Not since Jimmy Carter falsely spooked Americans about overpopulation, the world running out of food, water and energy, and worsening pollution, has a president been so filled with doom and gloom as this one.

Last week's White House report on climate change was a primal scream to alarm Americans into action to save the earth from a literal meltdown. Maybe we should call President Obama the Fearmonger in Chief.

While scientists can argue until the cows come home about what will happen in the future with the planet's climate, we do have scientific records on what's already happened. Obama moans that the devastation from climate change is already here as more severe weather events threaten to imperil our very survival.

But, according to the government's own records — which presumably the White House can get — severe weather events are no more likely now than they were 50 or 100 years ago and the losses of lives and property are much less devastating.

Here is what government data reports and top scientists tell us about extreme climate conditions:

• Hurricanes: The century-long trend in Hurricanes is slightly down, not up. According to the National Hurricane Center, in 2013, "There were no major hurricanes in the North Atlantic Basin for the first time since 1994. And the number of hurricanes this year was the lowest since 1982." :thumbdown:

According to Dr. Ryan Maue at Weather Bell Analytics, "We are currently in the longest period since the Civil War Era without a major hurricane strike in the U.S. (i.e., category 3, 4 or 5)" :thumbdown:

• Tornadoes: Don't worry, Kansas. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says there has been no change in severe tornado activity. "There has been little trend in the frequency of the stronger tornadoes over the past 55 years."

• Extreme heat and cold temperatures: NOAA's U.S. Climate Extremes Index of unusually hot or cold temperatures finds that over the last 10 years, five years have been below the historical mean and five above the mean. :thumbdown:

• Severe drought/extreme moisture: While higher than average portions of the country were subjected to extreme drought/moisture in the last few years, the 1930's, 40's and 50's were more extreme in this regard. In fact, over the last 10 years, four years have been below the average and six above the average. :rolleyes: This last sentence does not address severity at all, nor does this point as a whole compare much of anything as far as actual data backing up the claims that previous decades were more extreme.

• Cyclones: Maue reports: "the global frequency of tropical cyclones has reached a historical low." :thumbdown:

• Floods: Dr. Roger Pielke Jr., past chairman of the American Meteorological Society Committee on Weather Forecasting and Analysis, reports, "floods have not increased in the U.S. in frequency or intensity since at least 1950. Flood losses as a percentage of U.S. GDP have dropped by about 75% since 1940." :rolleyes: This data does not reflect the state of the climate, due to the fact that a large number of hydroelectric dams were built on major rivers in the US after 1940. These dams help to regulate and prevent major flooding.

• Warming: Even NOAA admits a "lack of significant warming at the Earth's surface in the past decade" and a pause "in global warming observed since 2000." Specifically, NOAA last year stated, "since the turn of the century, however, the change in Earth's global mean surface temperature has been close to zero." :thumbdown:

Pielke sums up: "There is no evidence that disasters are getting worse because of climate change. ... It is misleading, and just plain incorrect, to claim that disasters associated with hurricanes, tornadoes, floods or droughts have increased on climate time scales either in the U.S. or globally." :rolleyes: Roger A. Pielke, Jr. is a political scientist by degree...he is mainly involved in the politics behind climate change, not the science.

One big change between today and 100 years ago is that humans are much more capable of dealing with hurricanes and earthquakes and other acts of God.

Homes and buildings are better built to withstand severe storms and alert systems are much more accurate to warn people of the coming storms. As a result, globally, weather-related losses have actually decreased by about 25% as a proportion of GDP since 1990.

The liberal hubris is that government can do anything to change the earth's climate or prevent the next big hurricane, earthquake or monsoon. These are the people in Washington who can't run a website, can't deliver the mail and can't balance a budget. But they are going to prevent droughts and forest fires.

The President's doomsday claims last week served mostly to undermine the alarmists' case for radical action on climate change. Truth always seems to be the first casualty in this debate.

This is the tactic of tyrants. Americans are wise to be wary about giving up our basic freedoms and lowering our standard of living to combat an exaggerated crisis. :doublefacepalm:

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/051214-700561-obamas-climate-change-warning-frightens-but-doesnt-enlighten.htm

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Global warming / Extreme Weather [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #735848 - 06/12/14 06:11 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Science can be a bitch.

Sometimes it says what you want to hear, sometimes it doesn't.

Clean air and water is great. I want it. That doesn't mean the fear mongering and exaggeration is winning any points.

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#735851 - 06/12/14 07:09 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Science can be a bitch.

Sometimes it says what you want to hear, sometimes it doesn't.

Clean air and water is great. I want it. That doesn't mean the fear mongering and exaggeration is winning any points.

:huxleyfacepalm:  :doublefacepalm:  :stanhopefacepalm:

Showing a graph of global average temperature, with the x-axis being the global average temperature from 1960-1990, and having the vast majority of earth's historical average temperature below the line just proves how close we are to a historical maximum.

Additionally, this just shows historical fluctuations PRIOR to the industrial revolution, because at the resolution posted, the period from 1760 to 2014 (dawn of the industrial revolution to now) takes up about the last 2.5 microns (.0025 inches), and thus is much smaller than the thickness of the graph line. This does not address the drastic changes in ground cover, gas output into the atmosphere, relocation/spreading/eradication of species, chemical/garbage content of ocean water, etc. that has occurred largely after 1750 at an accelerating rate.

Looking at historical data is a good way to see what has happened in the past, and to show how close we are to causing problems if we continue to change the variables that resulted in our historical climate cycle. It does not accurately show what will happen in the future though, because WE have changed the variables more than any other species in the history of the planet (except for the cyanobacteria that first oxygenated the planet).

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Global warming / Extreme Weather [Re: Data] * 2
    #735866 - 06/12/14 08:39 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Actually, it shows more than that.

It shows there are graphs and charts that will show things that some like and some don't.

It shows that over the last few hundred thousand years the earths temperature has fluctuated quite a bit. Both UP and DOWN.

It shows that the Earth's temperatures appear to be cyclic.

It shows many are arrogant enough to think that what humans want... is what the planet should do.

And it shows that too many people chose the Chicken Little approach.

It doesn't matter what years they used as a baseline. The Earth has been both hotter and colder than it is now.

I lack the knowledge to say with certainty one way or the other. It's too bad more can't admit that they don't either.

InvisibleUltimateDevotion
TwistedByDesign
Male User Gallery

#735873 - 06/12/14 10:02 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

BlueBerry_Swisher said:
Quote:

agmotes165 said:
Quote:

LivioDoubleFang said:

--------------------
Harry Detroit in 304 made one last promise now
"I'm goin out without a trace, a vanishing act before your eyes"

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#735879 - 06/12/14 01:09 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:

Actually, it shows more than that.

It shows there are graphs and charts that will show things that some like and some don't.

It shows that over the last few hundred thousand years the earths temperature has fluctuated quite a bit. Both UP and DOWN.

It shows that the Earth's temperatures appear to be cyclic.

It shows many are arrogant enough to think that what humans want... is what the planet should do.

And it shows that too many people chose the Chicken Little approach.

It doesn't matter what years they used as a baseline. The Earth has been both hotter and colder than it is now.

I lack the knowledge to say with certainty one way or the other. It's too bad more can't admit that they don't either.

Ok guy, I hear ya :rastamon:

That's why we have experts, and people who research the issues. :shrug:

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#735880 - 06/12/14 01:16 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

That's why there is still debate going on. The experts don't agree.

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#735883 - 06/12/14 01:49 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Word :highfive:

Since my opinions on the matter are based on research, review of empirical data, a proper knowledge of statistical significance, and high consideration for our long term quality of life...I'll just stick to my PRA conclusion that fucking around with major heat transfer characteristics of a planet system is not a good idea, since we have no real historical data to draw conclusions from on that particular set of initial conditions.

You are free to think what you want, an we'll both continue to facepalm each other on our respective opinions. :elmo:

And with that, I bid you a  :doublefacepalm:

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#735888 - 06/12/14 02:17 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

agmotes165 said:
Since my opinions on the matter are based on research, review of empirical data, a proper knowledge of statistical significance, and high consideration for our long term quality of life...I'll just stick to my PRA conclusion that fucking around with major heat transfer characteristics of a planet system is not a good idea, since we have no real historical data to draw conclusions from on that particular set of initial conditions.

So our methods are the same.

Awesome.

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#735896 - 06/12/14 02:26 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Sure guy :rolleyes:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom