Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleresincoatedlungs
Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

Generating CO2 at home
    #670464 - 05/12/13 10:29 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

After searching around, I found Exhale bags,

which have great reviews on other grow forums.

My question is:

Would any mycelium produce ample CO2 to fill a room with the right ppm? Or do certain species produce higher amounts of CO2?
The creators of Exhale bags don't say which species they use, so I'm going to find it on my own.

Should be a damn cheap and easy (If you're good with mycology.) way to generate CO2.

Or should I just try the vinegar + baking soda route? It doesn't seem very cost or effort-effective

--------------------
:psycho:

Man Eater

Edited by resincoatedlungs (05/13/13 07:24 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Generating CO2 at home [Re: resincoatedlungs]
    #670470 - 05/12/13 10:51 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

If you have a very small grow they can work.  But for the majority of people its not enough, plus if you just have enough air flow co2 isn't needed.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineSmokeSomeHash
Littlest pee pee on da block
 User Gallery

Loc: murica Flag
Re: Generating CO2 at home [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #670490 - 05/13/13 12:58 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Ive been hearing good reviews on the green pads. Got a sample pack in the mail cuz they want me to sell em but i havent got around to using em. They make a lil mini one you actually put in your clone dome (yeah co2 for clones), a regular one for i think a 4x4 and then a jumbo one.

I havent used em myself but i will soon, but check out the reviews. They even did a live show on heavy ts where they use a ppm meter and show the increase.

Id really like to hear if anyone else here has used em before i invest in a case and try to sell em cuz they sound cool but who knows might be too good to be true...i dunno just throwin that out

--------------------

OfflineJavadog
Stranger

Re: Generating CO2 at home [Re: SmokeSomeHash]
    #670555 - 05/13/13 02:45 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

I have the problem that Hawk alluded to, I ram so much air
through my tent that I do not think that the exhalation of
a colonizing mushroom block will raise CO2 levels for my plants.

I would love to be corrected....I have about 50 blocks in the garage right now.  :0)

JD

OfflineUSAlien234
Stranger

Re: Generating CO2 at home [Re: Javadog]
    #670556 - 05/13/13 02:47 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

it would be interesting to know what mush they use ! Let me know if you find out !

I also agree. Great airflow is key..

OfflineJavadog
Stranger

Re: Generating CO2 at home [Re: USAlien234]
    #670559 - 05/13/13 02:56 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

I have to think that they are using a Pleurotis....an Oyster mushroom.

They grow on many subs, including paper waste and spend grounds.

JD

Invisibleresincoatedlungs
Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

#670604 - 05/13/13 07:19 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

SmokeSomeHash said:
Id really like to hear if anyone else here has used em before i invest in a case and try to sell em cuz they sound cool but who knows might be too good to be true...i dunno just throwin that out

I saw people bragging about them, but then I saw that all they were were meat packing pads. Price raised because it's marketed for plants. And then I started seeing posts complaining that they weren't working at all.:shakefist:

Quote:

Javadog said:
I have to think that they are using a Pleurotis....an Oyster mushroom.

They grow on many subs, including paper waste and spend grounds.

JD

This is what I thought as well. They specified that it would be highly unlikely that it would fruit invitro. Knowing Oysters were extremely co2 intolerant, that's what I figured. (Someone posted a question worried about spores being released.)

--------------------
:psycho:

Man Eater

OfflineJavadog
Stranger

Re: Generating CO2 at home [Re: resincoatedlungs]
    #670633 - 05/13/13 08:56 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

The issue of Oyster mushroom spores is a genuine one, as exposure
can lead to mushroom workers lung.  ...but I expect that the filter
patch of those sacks will have a pore size small enough to contain
any spores released.

Take care,

JD

OfflineDroJoe
Stranger
 User Gallery

#670637 - 05/13/13 09:13 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Here is a customer review on amazon that I'm going to copy and paste.
I suggest not letting this review make or break your decision on purchasing them. As they quite possibly may work under the right circumstances.

(quote)

I purchased this product in hopes of increasing plant production while saving some cash on the more expensive CO2 controller and tank/regulator set-up. The results are very disappointing and I can't understand why anyone would say anything good about this product unless they are using it in a small terrarium type enclosure. Most of the reviews indicate they aren't sure if the exhale bag has any benefit.. yet they give it a good rating?? I think they're all in denial, hoping it works for the money they just wasted. In fact, this product is a total waste of money. Only one reviewer indicates what their actual CO2 levels were because non of the reviewers evidentally have the equipment to prove this product is indeed a gimmick. They just assume the exhale bag produces usable CO2. There's a big difference between usable and beneficial.

We know that in order to get increased plant productivity/growth, we need CO2 levels of around 1500 ppm during the photo period of growth for most plants... anything over this level is ineffective and wasted money. It is well known that plant growth rates can increase by up to 30% with optimum CO2 levels of 1500 ppm. We also know plant growth almost ceases when the CO2 levels drop to 200 ppm or below. Normal outdoor air has levels of around 390 ppm. Indoors the levels widely vary depending on number of occupants, fossil fuel burned and ventilation. I can guarantee CO2 levels are greater indoors.

Now for the reality. The sad and unfortunate fact is that the exhale bag will not produce anywhere near the desired 1500 ppm in an enclosure larger than 1 cu ft space. I've done the test to prove it. Unless one uses the exhale bag in a very very small terrarium type enclosure, I'm afraid you're simply wasting your money on this product. My experience indicates the exhale bag could not raise the CO2 levels above 500 ppm in a 3 X 3 X 5.5 foot grow tent. And when I removed the bag, the levels remained the same because of the ambient CO2 in the immediate area. What do you think will occur after lighting, heat and humidity are added to the mix. Ironically, the exhaust system will fire up and draw in more usable CO2 from the ambient atmosphere than the exhale bag could ever produce.

I then placed the exhale bag in one of those 5 gallon orange Homer buckets I had from Home Depot, sealed it up with my remote controller sensor along side the exhale bag and low and behold I could get the CO2 level to increase to 1000 PPM after nearly an hour. By the way, my exhale bag expires the end of November or at least it indicates to replace it by 11/30/12.

More reality. The most cost effective means of achieving the desired 1500 ppm CO2 levels in a grow system is to invest in a good CO2 controller along with a tank and regulator or burner system. After the initial expense, one could refill a 20 pound CO2 tank nearly two times for each exhale bag they wasted money on. You'll also know exactly what your CO2 levels are while precisely contolling it and reaping the 30% growth increase we're all looking for.

What really disturbs me is the manufacturer is purporting this product is effective for a 4 X 4 or 16 sq ft grow area. (They fail to mention cubic feet which is much more important than square feet!) Their claims are completely false from my own tests and observations. I can produce more usable CO2 with one single breath than the exhale bag can produce all day long.

(quote)

OfflineSmokeSomeHash
 User Gallery

Re: Generating CO2 at home [Re: DroJoe]
    #670648 - 05/14/13 12:23 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Harsh...

Thats why im hesitant to try those green pads.

Seems like the best way is to just keep it old school with tanks/burners and regulators

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #670653 - 05/14/13 01:44 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

They're a waste of money, unless it's a very small grow like I said.  Most growers have switched to mass FAE.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #670654 - 05/14/13 01:44 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Way way way back in the day when I was just starting to grow indoors I was near a bottling plant and they use to throw out huge blocks of dry ice every morning. I use to put 10 lbs or so in a box and punch holes in the top. I'd get 2 to 3 days of co2 out of them.

I like everyone of the major seed companies and breeders gave up on co2 for constant air exchange years ago.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

Re: Generating CO2 at home [Re: Magash]
    #670659 - 05/14/13 03:58 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Sorry to get off topic but I just put in a 8inch inline fan for intake. I have a 4in blower and filter blowing out.My question is that too much air? I mean when I zip it up the whole tent swells ?? Alot of air being pushed in.?????

OfflineJavadog
Stranger

Re: Generating CO2 at home [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #670685 - 05/14/13 09:01 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

I have had a slight positive pressure in my tent without harming
my plants, but you will find that over-pressure will defeat your carbon
filter and make the area smell dank.

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#670686 - 05/14/13 09:32 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

If thats the worst thing that can happen. I can handle a little smell till i can buy a bigger inline and filter. Thanks

OfflineSmokeSomeHash
 User Gallery

#670688 - 05/14/13 09:41 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
They're a waste of money, unless it's a very small grow like I said.  Most growers have switched to mass FAE.

When you say mass what exactly do you mean? I personally run my exhaust 24/7 with a passive intake. Its rated for 3x the cfm of the tent.

Would you say thats enough or would you use more air?

--------------------

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#670690 - 05/14/13 09:46 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

SmokeSomeHash said:
Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

When you say mass what exactly do you mean? I personally run my exhaust 24/7 with a passive intake. Its rated for 3x the cfm of the tent.

Would you say thats enough or would you use more air?

Good question what is Mass?? Thats how I ran my tent, But now I added 8 in fan Wow My hole tent swells!!

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Generating CO2 at home [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #670694 - 05/14/13 10:57 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Around 3 times the CF of your grow room.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineSmokeSomeHash
 User Gallery

#670742 - 05/14/13 02:54 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Ok sounds like im good. I always thought co2 wouldnt work with all that air flow...thanks for reaffirming it.

--------------------

OfflineAngus
Trailer Park Supervisor
Male

Loc: Middle east coast
    #670753 - 05/14/13 04:54 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah..you really need to have a sealed environment to take advantage of CO2 enrichment

--------------------
I used to grow pot.  I still do grow pot, but I used to grow it too.
*Seedsharer*
You got my cheez whiz, boy?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract