Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleZombi3
Greenhouse Technician
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bat Country Flag
Reliable LED info please.
    #655190 - 01/16/13 02:58 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Hey everybody! First LED on the go, Got 3 X 14w panels. One all red spectrum, and two mixed (red, blue, orange, white).

Is this enough to support my ladies till harvest?

My thoughts: 14x3=42w of output.(http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/light/watt-to-lumen-calculator.htm)<(*cant guarantee accuracy of that calculator*) Using that i have 2580 lumens. Lets go with that...

If the pictures work you'll see the setup. Its a single rubbermaid tote, red panel on the top, and quad bands on the two ends. I have two 80mm computer fans rigged to circulate air, not sure the cfm rating.. I have completely covered the sides in a shiny metal to stop light leaks. These LEDs make like zero heat man, even with the 3 in there i still need a heat mat under the tub to keep it at 82 degrees. I keep a dish of water inside which is sufficient for humidity as well. I am missing intake and outtake however. I almost intentionally did this because its easier to control temp/humidity this way (for me at least) not to mention absolutely no light getting out. Dimensions are WxHxD = 11"x12"x14".

So im pretty sure im solid for light right? It seems like more than enough to me anyway. I allways garden outdoors, only experience i have indoors is CFL's on a rack to start seeds early for outside. Really just threw this together because its winter and im a Horticulture student and im going crazy not being able to grow shit right now. Had the tub lying around, got the lights for free, I spent $10 on a power bar and shiny tape, thats it, everything else was lying around from old projects.

Growing Cheese X NYC Diesel :smile: Chiesel? Lol

Think it'll work if i scrog it?

--------------------
* Die For Your Government *

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Reliable LED info please. [Re: Zombi3]
    #655257 - 01/16/13 09:49 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I wouldn't count on it. If your using those 1' square panels then your not going to see much. I've never used one, but those are joke panels, not really for growing a demanding plant, but maybe keeping a plant alive.  Those use very low power diodes, thus the low wattage draw. Also that calculator will not work for LED, as they are more focused on PAR light that plants see, vs Lumens which is the sensitivity of the human eye.

If you have the lights you might as well try it and see where it gets you. That's a small grow area. Instead of a heat pad get some 26w CFL's and some light sockets/fixtures. That way you'll be able to get the heat as well as added light.  I'm assuming you have low expectations using a grow area that short. Scrog would probably be a better bet, but you'll probably still have height issues.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisibleZombi3
Greenhouse Technician
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bat Country Flag
Re: Reliable LED info please. [Re: phychotron]
    #655313 - 01/17/13 07:26 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Yes the lights were free so i will be trying anyway. I have a bunch of big bang autos i was thinking of trying one in there. I know the cfl's will work to maintain temp i just dont want to fork out $20 a bulb when this was allready near free to build. I have plans for a proper 4x4 cabinet so maybe ill see what happens here just for experiment sake.

--------------------
* Die For Your Government *

OfflinePoloDown
Stranger Danger

Re: Reliable LED info please. [Re: Zombi3]
    #655319 - 01/17/13 09:22 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

You could probably get 6 cfl's for $20, not just one bulb for $20

OfflineNameInUse
Strange
Male User Gallery

Re: Reliable LED info please. [Re: PoloDown]
    #655365 - 01/17/13 03:13 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Shit, Walmart has 55w CFL's for less than $10

Offlinemystkspiral

Re: Reliable LED info please. [Re: NameInUse]
    #655375 - 01/17/13 07:28 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

2580 lumens seems pretty low...even for one plant. use cfls instead, can get a big 125W cfl online for only $40

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Loc: funkytown Flag
Re: Reliable LED info please. [Re: mystkspiral]
    #655535 - 01/19/13 08:49 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

those panels will not work. i got one in a sight unseen led package barter deal on Craigslist, and all it did was make the fan leafs turn dark green and taco up. they will support life but wont grow for shit.

my first grow was as cheap as it gets. go to home depot and get the 6 pack of 6500k daylight CFL bulks (the highest ACTUAL wattage bulbs you can find just be 65k) then get 3 bulb splitters, and a 3 bulb vanity. you will need to wire in a cord to plug into 120v (wall socket) and you can do that however you see safe. these 6 bulbs will veg out 6 plants tops to a usable size worth flowering.

i did this and just added 24" T5 panels as i had cash to throw at the tent (4 bulb 24" 6500k T5 grow light from the hydro store was $120 out the door). also your box wont be enough for clones let alone flowering plants. i started with a box i got from costco for free. it was for a recliner, so you get the idea how big it is and i still outgrew it before i could grow weed i was proud of.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies