Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinechowdan
Stranger
 User Gallery

LED Bulbs?
    #567740 - 06/27/11 07:42 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

hey everyone,

So im taking care of me girls house and just saw she has a few led bulbs throughout the house.

She has this specific model:
light 1

But how would any of these lights work? Using 2 of them could make a successful grow?
[url= http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=lights+of+america+led+bulbs&hl=en&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=944&bih=611&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12258072387078880138&sa=X&ei=ZYcITp6nIeXhiAK7tMCyDQ&ved=0CHYQ8wIwBg]light2[/url]

light 3

I'm thinking about picking up two of these guys and just having a complete grow using two of these bad boys if they are sufficient?

--------------------
I am a legal patient in Washington. Everything i do and say on here is for personal gain.

- We live in a free country as long as you can follow the governments laws...-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineorangejuice
Stranger

Loc: oakland Flag
Re: LED Bulbs? [Re: chowdan]
    #567743 - 06/27/11 08:14 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

No you couldn't grow shit with 2 of those, even proper LED with way more wattage sucks balls for flowering. Only decent for veg.

OfflineMonsignorBerric
Om Shanti Om

Loc: The Void
Re: LED Bulbs? [Re: orangejuice]
    #567769 - 06/27/11 11:41 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Unfortunately Orangejuice is right. Kind of. I've never used LEDs but I hear they don't flower as well as HPS. If you really wanted to go LED I think you'd need something like this http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-300-Watt-High-Powered-Tri-Band-LED-Grow-Light.asp#
And as far as I know they're still improving them constantly. I'd wait a few years or so for the technology to really be "perfected", I bet it'll be mainstream in the future

--------------------
:egyptian:
Every man and every woman is a star
There is no law beyond Do what thou wilt
Love is the law, love under will
"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains." -The Book of the Law 2:9

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #567776 - 06/27/11 12:53 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

orangejuice said:
No you couldn't grow shit with 2 of those, even proper LED with way more wattage sucks balls for flowering. Only decent for veg.

Your right as far as those bulbs go, two wouldn't be worth shit for plants.

But the rest of your statement is 100% true.
I'm on my second year with a 120 watt four band led, and in a 2x3x5 room can match and beat the hell out of my 400 watt HPS.
The only issues I have with it is beaching, and that isn't a big deal in my opinion.

Granted LED's still have room for improvements tho.

--------------------
:getstoned:

Offlinechowdan
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: LED Bulbs? [Re: Stoneth]
    #567805 - 06/27/11 03:56 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

so the rrason they wint work is cause lumen outouy to low?

--------------------
I am a legal patient in Washington. Everything i do and say on here is for personal gain.

OfflineMonsignorBerric
Om Shanti Om

#567856 - 06/27/11 06:31 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yipyip It's pretty much all about lumens and the color of the light. For vegetative stage you want mostly blue light, for flowering you want mostly red light. The light is also measured in kelvin (temperature) but I forget what the temps are for each. You can see the red and blue bulbs in the led growing panels.

--------------------
"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains." -The Book of the Law 2:9

Offlinechowdan
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: LED Bulbs? [Re: MonsignorBerric]
    #567915 - 06/27/11 10:04 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Sorry bout spelling on that last post, on a new phone.

so i can't really find how many lumens these lights produce. Anyone have any info?

Can't you buy different colored ones which in turn would give the correct wavelengths needed? Maybe get 6 of them(3red 3 blue/bright white)?

I was looking at led grow lights. I've got about 200$ to spend on it. THink one panel would work? or am i better off trying to get CFL's? im just worried about the electric bill

--------------------

Offlineorangejuice
Stranger

#567935 - 06/27/11 10:58 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Are you worried about the electric bill cuz you can't afford it or you think you will get busted because of it?

For what you are looking to grow you will not have to worry about the power bill AT ALL. 1k hps is nothing to worry about power bill wise. That's including everything else you need to run a 1k light (fans a/c dehumi ect.) There's more legit reasons you'd have an increase in power bill of that size that illicit.

If it's because of budget, well you'd have to make your own choice here. I'd go for 600w HPS!

Unless you are in an apartment, if you are then just :facepalm:

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #567936 - 06/27/11 11:07 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MonsignorBerric said:
Yipyip It's pretty much all about lumens and the color of the light. For vegetative stage you want mostly blue light, for flowering you want mostly red light. The light is also measured in kelvin (temperature) but I forget what the temps are for each. You can see the red and blue bulbs in the led growing panels.

Oh god this post makes me want to punch everyone in this thread right in the face.

I have to go to bed right now. When I wake up, you can all expect a long ass post with the first actual truth posted in this thread so far except for Stoneth, who also knows his shit.

Lumens :facepalm:

--------------------

Offlineorangejuice
Stranger

Re: LED Bulbs? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #567943 - 06/27/11 11:29 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

whatever bro, you're so offended I called LEDs shit you go back and edit my rating :lol:

you can read many people with way more experience than yourself agree with me...

Laboratory Grade, Half Million Dollar MMJ facility.

Quote:

sexy.....Ive run a room covered w led's for one co's mmc as a trial. LEDS suck for everything except vegging little clones and stuff right out of the domes from my professional experience.

would you like me to post another 100 threads with people with much greater experience than yourself saying LED suck? I just picked a big one to save myself time but I can post tons more if you'd like. Also yah I've tried them myself.

You sell LEDs or something? :rolleyes:

I think I'll take your advice you left in my rating though, and fuck off out of here, back to a place where the mods actually know what they are talking about and aren't immature douches. I knew there was a reason I hadn't been here in a year.

Edited by orangejuice (06/27/11 11:39 PM)

OfflineMonsignorBerric
Om Shanti Om

#567945 - 06/27/11 11:38 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Quote:

MonsignorBerric said:

Oh god this post makes me want to punch everyone in this thread right in the face.

I have to go to bed right now. When I wake up, you can all expect a long ass post with the first actual truth posted in this thread so far except for Stoneth, who also knows his shit.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! Woooow........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ Why are people getting so pissy here lately? Some people are so arrogant all just because they can grow some bud. If you can't be humble about something you supposedly know so much about I'll have to assume you don't know shit.
Please explain how measuring lumens is stupid, how else can you measure light

--------------------

OfflineMonsignorBerric
Om Shanti Om

#567946 - 06/27/11 11:39 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

The Growing is turning into a circle jerk for some mods and some long time members

--------------------

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #567956 - 06/28/11 12:06 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

:lol:
That link proves nothing my friend.
It's a great large scale grow op tho no doubt.

But even on ICmag there are LED growers, and many of which have done very well with their units.

And as I said there is still room for improvements with LED's.

As far as lumens my 120 watt LED puts out around 3500 lum, and my 400 watt HPS is around 45 to 50000 lumens.
So lumens aren't everything.:lol:

--------------------

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #567958 - 06/28/11 12:09 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MonsignorBerric said:
Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Quote:

MonsignorBerric said:

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! Woooow........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ Why are people getting so pissy here lately? Some people are so arrogant all just because they can grow some bud. If you can't be humble about something you supposedly know so much about I'll have to assume you don't know shit.

PAR is another way to measure light.
Spectrum seems to be the most important issue imo, then penetration comes into play.

--------------------

Offlineorangejuice
Stranger

#567962 - 06/28/11 12:26 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Stoneth said:
:lol:
That link proves nothing my friend.
It's a great large scale grow op tho no doubt.

But even on ICmag there are LED growers, and many of which have done very well with their units.

As far as lumens my 120 watt LED puts out around 3500 lum, and my 400 watt HPS is around 45 to 50000 lumens.

I know it's not proof in the scientific sense, the same way nothing hairy posts will "prove" anything. I also didn't say shit of lumens at all.

I gave an opinion. One that happens to be shared among many large scale growers and people with the money and means to actually do real tests. You can find lots of LED vs HPS side by side ect. Like I said I could post threads all day showing LED are inferior to HPS during flower.

The thing is if he had just replied like a normal person and not the douchy shit he did along with editing a year old rating and adding an attempt to belittle me in that rating, then I wouldn't have cared. I don't mind being wrong, or educated discussion. He offered none of that. Just some petty bullshit equivalent of "LOL U RONG'

The problem with small communities... egos get out of check and this guy thinks his 100 watt LED grow in a 2x2 space in a garage is end all be all evidence that he knows more about lighting than a huge collective of growers. Sorry Ythan but this place is a shit hole not conductive of scientific discussion. Enjoy your circlejerk mods, peace.

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #567970 - 06/28/11 01:02 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I agree HID's are still number one, especially in large scale grows.
Never did I say LED was better than HPS.
I was only working with the topic, and the OP/s question.
Being he was wondering about two bulbs, I figure he's talking about a small scale grow, not large.
Also I'm not Harry, so have a nice day.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #568002 - 06/28/11 07:18 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

orangejuice said:

would you like me to post another 100 threads with people with much greater experience than yourself saying LED suck? I just picked a big one to save myself time but I can post tons more if you'd like. Also yah I've tried them myself.

I'd be surprised if you could find 100 people with more LED experience :shrug:  I haven't just "tried them myself" I spent a significant period of time doing proprietary research and design on specific photosynthetic diode design. I'm not talking out my ass.

Quote:

MonsignorBerric said:

Candela
footcandle
End footcandle
Luminance
Luminous flux
Work plane
Field Lumens
Beam lumens
Lux
Efficacy (Luminous efficiency of radiant flux)
Watt

And those are just quantitative measurements.  For terrestrial plants I would shoot for something like Lux times intensity. Lumens are useless because they measure the visible light available for the human eye. Plants get jack shit from a lumen measurement.

Quote:

orangejuice said:
The thing is if he had just replied like a normal person and not the douchy shit he did along with editing a year old rating and adding an attempt to belittle me in that rating, then I wouldn't have cared. I don't mind being wrong, or educated discussion. He offered none of that. Just some petty bullshit equivalent of "LOL U RONG'

The problem with small communities... egos get out of check and this guy thinks his 100 watt LED grow in a 2x2 space in a garage is end all be all evidence that he knows more about lighting than a huge collective of growers. Sorry Ythan but this place is a shit hole not conductive of scientific discussion. Enjoy your circlejerk mods, peace.

If you had actually read my post instead of knotting your panties up and crying you would have noticed that I said I needed to go to bed and that a further explanation was forthcoming. Instead, you guys got all tissy and now I couldn't really care less.

Also, 2x2 space in a garage, :rofl:

--------------------

OfflineMonsignorBerric
Om Shanti Om

#568022 - 06/28/11 12:01 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

chowdan said:
Sorry bout spelling on that last post, on a new phone.

so i can't really find how many lumens these lights produce. Anyone have any info?

Can't you buy different colored ones which in turn would give the correct wavelengths needed? Maybe get 6 of them(3red 3 blue/bright white)?

I was looking at led grow lights. I've got about 200$ to spend on it. THink one panel would work? or am i better off trying to get CFL's? im just worried about the electric bill

Apologies for getting off track
SO Aren't led grow lights really expensive? I don't think you'd be able to get a really good one for $200. You're best bet probably gonna be flourescents or hps/mh

And as for light measuring. I use lumens because it's the only thing I've ever heard of.

footcandle
End footcandle
Field Lumens
Beam lumens
Watt

The footcandles and lumens seem to be pretty much all the same thing just measured slightly different. You can't use watts to measure light because different lights are more energy efficient. Watts is electricity not light.
I've never seen any grow equipment measure in anything other than lumens. So I apologize for questioning your omniscience, but I'll continue to use lumens until I can find the info your taking about

--------------------

OfflineMonsignorBerric
Om Shanti Om

#568025 - 06/28/11 12:29 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
If you had actually read my post instead of knotting your panties up and crying you would have noticed that I said I needed to go to bed and that a further explanation was forthcoming. Instead, you guys got all tissy and now I couldn't really care less.

Isn't that a little hypocritical? lol

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:

--------------------

Offlinechowdan
Stranger
 User Gallery

#568182 - 06/28/11 09:11 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Well then i did not mean everyone to freak out. Take a few tokes and shall be all good. No sense in arguing since obviously it doesn't take us anywhere such as the arguments between governments and such.

So onto the subject. Can anyone explain :
Quote:

Stoneth said:

If that is the case then really what are the combos that make it grow somewhat decent? Also if lumens are the most important thing what is the bare minimum you need?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom