Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlines0ndmond
Action Bastard'd
hihi... LED/Light Tech Questions
    #609227 - 02/13/12 12:46 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I'm on day 1 of sprout in a small closet space, rollin with 150 hps and maybe some 23W 6500k CFLs if I can manage to squeeze em in there.

Where do you check for LED sales? I skimmed through old LED threads but none of them were very recent. I'm considering adding a smaller LED to my collection, around 150-250 watt HPS equivalent, which should increase my yield a good bit I'd hope.

Is there any site that keeps track of this technology and how it's released into the markets? I'd follow this sort of thing if I knew how

Is it recommended to build your own panel? Or do you know of a good spot to drop some cash on a pre built one?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinephrostbyte
Hydro Grower

Re: hihi... LED/Light Tech Questions [Re: s0ndmond]
    #609230 - 02/13/12 12:59 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I got a 90w Led ufo which they claim is suppose to be equivalent to a 400w light for 100.00 on ebay. It has 2w leds and is triband.  The guy I got it from bought it from htg supply.  It works AWESOME for veg.  Haven't used it ONLY for flower.

http://www.htgsupply.com/Category-LED-Grow-Lights.asp

Offlines0ndmond
Action Bastard'd
Re: hihi... LED/Light Tech Questions [Re: phrostbyte]
    #609234 - 02/13/12 01:09 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

ahh was yours used?  or was it this same light??
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HYDROPONIC-LED-UFO-Shaped-90w-Grow-Light-Tri-Spectrum-/230624202425?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b2460eb9#ht_2715wt_758

vegging ain't a problem cause 23w 6500k do the job perfectly ime, so it's effectiveness at flowering is the only thing I'm concerned with

I'm trying to sift through grow journals that use just 90w led, if anyone knows a good example, i'd love to see

Offlinephrostbyte
Hydro Grower

#609238 - 02/13/12 01:17 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Mine was used from htg supply.  Not the same exact light you linked.  Mine has 1 LARGE fan hole on the top not 3.  Be careful what you buy some are total garbage.  Another thing to think about is these light styles are suppose to be like 6" from the plant top and cover a very small Sq ft area.  I have seen many logs with grows but unless you have a very high watt LED (very pricey)  They don't work that well for flowering.  If your going to spend that kind of money why not just get a 400w HPS / MH kit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400-Watt-Digital-Ballast-Grow-Light-Kit-HPS-and-MH-Bulbs-Bat-Wing-Reflector-400w-/320844113036?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab3cca48c

I bought 2 of these already and they work great!  They aren't that pricey either.

Offlines0ndmond
Action Bastard'd

#609240 - 02/13/12 01:48 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I gotta keep my shit small and tight, so LED w/ added light and no heat is ideal for me

this dude used a 90w and 4 what appear to be 23 watt 2500k CFLs, yields 3.5oz 2 plants. He looks like he's pretty skilled with the growing techniques, lollipopping and scrogging. If I can manage 150hps+90wLED with some CFLs I'd prolly double my yield if careful

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/533886-meet-my-fridge-9.html

i feel like im just looking for a reason to drop a bit of extra dough on my setup, this may be enough

Offlinephrostbyte
Hydro Grower

#609418 - 02/14/12 09:48 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Well if ya gotta keep it small and cool the led is the way to go!  I currently have my 90w ufo flowering some small ones. Seems to be working pretty well thus far.  The light is about 6 in from the tops.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #609423 - 02/14/12 10:13 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Ahhhh....this shit makes me wanna pull my hair out sometimes.

Get yourself a 250watt hps and ditch the 150watter, the led, and the cfl's and get more.

Do this with a UFO if you think you can cause this is from a 400watt light which is what the UFO says it's equal to..............it's not even close.

400watt light, some dirt and some dixie cups and walla just under a half lb. When growing in a small area shouldn't you be trying to get the most from it? :wink:

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinebudnectar
Planetary Citizen
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Mars
Re: hihi... LED/Light Tech Questions [Re: Magash]
    #609434 - 02/15/12 02:01 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I'd have to agree with Magash on this even though LED is the future of indoor growing. Like Phrostbyte said, you'd need a a high wattage LED... to make any sort of difference. I'd say 3w is exceptional but you'd have to go higher if you want to see a difference better than HID.

Also, some things to know about LEDs: They still produce a lot of heat but it is efficiently directed to heatsinks on the back (an aluminum plate on the cheap one's from China). It's like having a cool tube built in from what I gather. I also read that blue LEDs fade significantly faster than the reds- I haven't come across any actual evidence of this other than people who say it takes more effort to produce blue wavelengths compared to red which seems plausible looking at the actual wavelengths. But the point here is that it's said replacing the diodes is not really user-friendly.

I recently read up on a test with 126w full-spectrum Hydrogrow Penetrator LED advertised as a 400w equivalent done by a trusted unbiased cultivator. Long story short- not only did it come up short with dry weight but also an extended flower time was insinuated.

-------------------

I'm not bashing LED, personally I can't wait for them to be marketed at a reasonable price with proven results. There are some kick ass proven LEDs out there and if you've got deep pockets, these I have found to be good sources:

http://www.advancedledlights.com/
http://www.gslindustries.com/default.aspx
http://www.cree.com/products/index.asp

One day, LEDs will outproduce HID but sellers are maiming their reputation by shafting us with these cheapos sold on hype not results. I was so mad I almost blew some money on some .5w crap because there's limited/mis-information.

---------------------

If you have to sacrifice yeild for stealth - LED
If you want closer to your plants potential - HID

Anyway, hope that clears some things up.

Invisiblebmac420
Realist

Re: hihi... LED/Light Tech Questions [Re: Magash]
    #611370 - 03/03/12 09:43 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Ahhhh....this shit makes me wanna pull my hair out sometimes.

Get yourself a 250watt hps and ditch the 150watter, the led, and the cfl's and get more.

Do this with a UFO if you think you can cause this is from a 400watt light which is what the UFO says it's equal to..............it's not even close.

400watt light, some dirt and some dixie cups and walla just under a half lb. When growing in a small area shouldn't you be trying to get the most from it? :wink:

:happyweed:

Yea and some very very nice looking clones...no?

also....how much do you think that 400w hps will run per month in dollars during the veg cycle (20-24 hrs on)?

Offlinephrostbyte
Hydro Grower

Re: hihi... LED/Light Tech Questions [Re: bmac420]
    #611371 - 03/03/12 09:59 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

400w increase my bill about 13.00 a month 24/7 on.  Though its prolly less as I have a lot of fans and pumps running also.

Edited by phrostbyte (03/03/12 09:59 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder