Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First grow, droopy leaves, edges curled down. (Pics!) [Re: resincoatedlungs]
    #647027 - 11/20/12 11:26 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I know I'm late to the party here, but you also want to be careful with the use of the molasses.
Blackstrap is very high in Mg and will cause problems during flowering if used in excess (it will lock up critical potassium and calcium). You also want to stop the use of the molasses in the final week or two leading up to harvest, or you'll end up with a harsh smoke IME (again due to the high Mg levels).

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Edited by 81renaissance (11/21/12 11:01 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleresincoatedlungs
Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

Re: First grow, droopy leaves, edges curled down. (Pics!) [Re: 81renaissance]
    #647208 - 11/21/12 02:45 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I was always under the impression that it was meant to be used during flowering?

--------------------
Man Eater

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First grow, droopy leaves, edges curled down. (Pics!) [Re: resincoatedlungs]
    #647209 - 11/21/12 02:50 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I'm gonna have to disagree with 81.  The whole point of molasses is to get the plant extra base sugars during the flowering phase.  I prefer to use some like sweet instead though.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

Re: First grow, droopy leaves, edges curled down. (Pics!) [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #647217 - 11/21/12 04:50 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Isn't it also supposed to feed some of the beneficial bacteria that grow in the soil?

I have a pretty good grip on bacterial/fungal:mushroom2: cultures and how they thrive and have always known that sugar-based LCs (Like a Karo LC) are much more prone to bacterial contamination. (Unless you have damn-near flawless sterile technique, like mine.) :smirk:

--------------------
Man Eater

OfflineNameInUse
Strange
Male User Gallery

#647221 - 11/21/12 06:20 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

It will feed the beneficials, considering you have them. I wouldn't expect them to be too prevalent in any medium using synthetic nutrients, not from direct exprerience but I wouldn't expect them to thrive in salts. Beneficials break down organic matter into nutrients that can be taken up by the plant, feeding them carbs only helps this process.

--------------------
But then an even greater force emerged: The un! And the un un-nazi'd the world! Forever!

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First grow, droopy leaves, edges curled down. (Pics!) [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #647244 - 11/21/12 10:57 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
I'm gonna have to disagree with 81.  The whole point of molasses is to get the plant extra base sugars during the flowering phase.  I prefer to use some like sweet instead though.

I should clarify that I definitely use molasses in my grows during flowering.  Molasses is a natural chelating agent that frees up organic/complex nutrients for the plant to access.  It also, as Hawk stated, is a good source of basic carbohydrates, and has trace elements which are beneficial to your grow.  What I'm cautioning against is the use of a high ratio of molasses LATE in flowering (which I didn't say above; mea culpa).  Depending on the product, molasses can contain between 7.5% and 15% chelated magnesium, which means that it is free and soluble.  This, in conjunction with another fertilizer/nutrient/additive containing magnesium can lead to the issues with harsh smoke if used late in flower.  For this reason, I gradually taper off and the molasses usage to just 1 tsp/gallon about 1-2 weeks before harvest, and give them no molasses during the final finishing week(s).
The nutrient lock I mentioned also could be a concern at any point during the grow if, as stated above, there is a lot of magnesium in your soil.  The molasses alone shouldn't cause this unless you're using way too much, but the molasses will also free up available Mg that may be present in your time-release soil. 
Again, I'm not advising AGAINST molasses, just saying to be aware of when/how much you are using in relation to your soil as a whole.

edit: apparently I was stoned when I posted my original response; I DID say to discontinue molasses when flowering!  That's not what I do, nor is it what I recommend.  Sorry for the confusion, I fixed the original post.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #647246 - 11/21/12 11:16 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

:cookiemonster:

--------------------

-niteowl

Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

#648088 - 11/26/12 05:04 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

:mindblown:
I haven't been able to find much info. on the mineral/nutrient content content of blackstrap, (Granted, I haven't looked much farther than grow articles.) so if you could either list something here, or link me to the right direction it'd be greatly appreciated.

I've been under the assumption that while it had other nutrients in it, primarily it was a source of sugars and Potassium, so this is all (helpful) news to me!

--------------------
Man Eater

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #648251 - 11/27/12 01:20 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Molasses breakdown that I found online.  Scroll down the page to see mineral content. 
You can change the drop-down menu at the top to a tbsp rather than a cup, since that's what you're actually using.

Edited by 81renaissance (11/27/12 01:30 PM)

Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

#649110 - 12/02/12 05:40 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for that!

Just a small update and question:

Flowering has completely taken off, buds are looking great so far!
:dancer:

Drooping hasn't occurred since I flushed and eased up on the watering, but the leaves are starting to look a bit worse as far as discoloration, curling, and necrotic spots.
:confused2:

The question being:
Is it possible that gnats could have caused a lot of the problems?

Because just yesterday I disovered quite a few small green ones coming out of the soil, and a few flying around.
:aweshit:

So I bought some mosquito dunks and some sand, both of which will be used tomorrow. (1/4 dunk is soaking in 1 gallon of water now.) And have already hung up sticky fly traps.

Pics soon!

--------------------
Man Eater

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #649116 - 12/02/12 05:58 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

pictures of bugs and necrotic leaves please.

I think your mix is probably way hot right now due to the potting soil's time release ferts, and the chelating quality of the molasses.  Any chance you can get a Fox Farm bagged soil and re-pot?

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

#649117 - 12/02/12 06:12 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Once the lights are on, (tomorrow) I can get pics of the leaves, but the only camera I have is a cell phone camera so I doubt it could really focus in on the bugs.

I tested the soil with a digital ph meter a while back, and it read 6.9, but I doubt the accuracy of the meter so I bought some strips instead and realized my molasses water was a little hot (~6.0)

I'll test the first couple of runoff drops tomorrow though when I water them with this mosquito dunk water. (Which I will ph test tomorrow, since it takes at least 24 hours to fully dissolve.)

Quote:

Any chance you can get a Fox Farm bagged soil and re-pot?

Not really, no where local carries it and I'm a little :tinfoil: ordering it, and I'm not sure but I can only imagine the shipping cost would be a bitch.

Edited by resincoatedlungs (12/02/12 06:17 PM)

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
    #649119 - 12/02/12 06:26 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

The damage already done from overwatering will not recover, the area will slowly get worse, but as long and its not happening to new growth I would not be worried.

Of course I'm saying that without seeing any pictures. Just a guess.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

Re: First grow, droopy leaves, edges curled down. (Pics!) [Re: mhbound]
    #649292 - 12/03/12 06:02 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Bad leaves:

A few young bud pics!:

--------------------
Man Eater

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#649297 - 12/03/12 06:59 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

It looks like it is all affecting old growth, am I correct?

If so it appears like chemical burns(and or overwatering, possibly a combination due to overwatering), which like I said, will not heal. The new growth from what I see looks fine.

How long are they in to flowering?

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

#649300 - 12/03/12 07:20 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

For the most part, it is affecting only older growth, but the bottom right pic in the "leaves" section is newer growth that is yellowing, and kind of weak.

28 days flowering.
:bongload:

--------------------
Man Eater

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#649302 - 12/03/12 07:44 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

They will yellow as they enter the end of flowering because they are using up the remaining Nitrogen.

Is it just that one leaf? If so I wouldn't worry about it, I would still attribute it to the overwatering problems.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

#649314 - 12/03/12 09:14 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

It's a few scattered around, probably a total of 6 or 7.
Only 2 or 3 look bad now, whereas they didn't look very bad at all before. (Top 2 pics.)

--------------------
Man Eater

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #649376 - 12/04/12 09:05 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Are you feeding anything yet?  I'd say it's time to start feeding her if not.

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#649390 - 12/04/12 09:32 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Yea. I honestly don't know what to say.

You have a lot of things going on, but I'm sticking to them being related to the over-watering. They won't ever be perfect, all you can do at this point is to provide what they need from here out.

Over-watering can do so much damage, from the roots, to the stems, which both affect nutrient intake.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale