Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesmoked_out_haze
artwork. dope.

Curly Droopy Leaves (pics)
    #304140 - 10/26/09 06:23 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I have 10 plants that are all about 11 days old. They've been grown from seed. I fed them with half the suggested amount for the first time yesterday. They're potted in jiffy pucks which are in pro mix hp. They dont look as good as I think they can. The leaves are droopy and curly. The stems are bendy and dangly. I'm not sure if this is normal. My temps are pretty warm at a usual 22C - 27C and they're usually always at 30% - 35% humidity. I live in an apartment and the window is wide open so I cant control the temps too much. Should I invest in a humidifier?

Here are a few pics:

The top right plant here has a leaf that's browning a little.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: Curly Droopy Leaves (pics) [Re: smoked_out_haze]
    #304180 - 10/26/09 07:24 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

You can put a bucket of water in there and let it evaporate to create humidity.

What kind of light? You need to get the light closer they are stretching out pretty bad. I would re-pot them soon and cover at least have of the stem with soil to give it some added support its going to need it the way its stretching right now.

I wouldn't be feeding them anything yet...I don't feed them until they are a few weeks old at least as a general rule of thumb.

As far as the droopy leaves it looks to me like you are overwatering.

What is your watering schedule?

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Offlinesmoked_out_haze
artwork. dope.

Re: Curly Droopy Leaves (pics) [Re: mhbound]
    #304185 - 10/26/09 07:39 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Right now they're under 10 13watt CFLs. As they are right now, they're about 3 - 6 inches from the light depending on how tall the plant is and where it sits.

So you think I should stop feeding them? I dont think pro mix hp has very much in the way of nutrients in it. Isnt that a bad thing?

I've watered them 3 times in total. Once when putting them in soil, once this past weekend when i fed them and once in between. I've only watered them when the soil feels dry.

If I re-pot them, I'm guessing I should put them in bigger pots? If I do that, I'm going to move them under an HPS to finish the veg. How far away should plants this size be from a HID?

InvisibleDoPeYsMuRf

#304186 - 10/26/09 07:41 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Put them under the bigger light asap.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#304191 - 10/26/09 07:55 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Nutrients aren't used too much by the plants when they are this young...Not really at all to be honest. A lot of people make the mistake of doing what you are doing and once they get things out of line they have trouble getting them back.

Yes they need to go in to a larger pot...About twice the size at least of the ones in now and from there you will probably have to re-pot them again when you switch to flowering, but that all depends on how long you veg n what not.

Okay, then I'm wrong they aren't being overwatered I guess you had just watered prior to these pics or I'm blind...Probably a combination of the two.

Put the HPS within 24 inches. I can't tell you the EXACT distance but as a rule of thumb put your hand under the light right above the plants and if your hand can tolerate it with not too much heat then you are fine. If it starts to get very warm on your hand then you need to back it off some.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #304196 - 10/26/09 08:21 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

So you think I should stop feeding them? ---Yes, and don't feed them for at least two weeks.

Re-pot them when you can take out the roots in one ball. Way less chance of fucking up and giving the plant a major root shock.

Depends on the size of the HPS being used.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinesmoked_out_haze
artwork. dope.

Re: Curly Droopy Leaves (pics) [Re: Magash]
    #304203 - 10/26/09 08:31 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I was just typing a question about when to re-pot :wink: Thanks.

Its a 430W HPS. So wait 2 weeks from now?

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#304207 - 10/26/09 08:33 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

At least. If you have questions just come back here and post in this thread with some pictures and you'll get a timely response.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Offlinesmoked_out_haze
artwork. dope.

#304240 - 10/26/09 08:56 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Ok cool. I didnt know I could wait that long. thanks for the advice!

OfflineTomCollins

#304253 - 10/26/09 09:08 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Regarding your HPS question. :-)

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Loc: CANADA
    #304268 - 10/26/09 09:23 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

They are over watered in my opinion.  You might think the soil is dry but in reality, they probably are quite moist and this is not a good time for extra water when they are this young.

The reason I say overwatered is two fold.  One, I have had the exact thing happen to me with incorrect soil drainage...which ended up causing my plants, who were similar age as yours and started in jiffys or something similar to yours (which usually is 100% peat moss or some other non draining medium) and I then transplanted them into 3 gallon containers, with a medium that had to be wet of course the first time of transplant.  My leaves and plants drooped and looked exactly like yours.  I actually had to look twice to double check it was not my plant ahhahaa. 

Now they are doing much better and I did not water for 7 days.  The soil was dry on top, but if I dipstick checked and even used a soil hydrometer, they were still moist enough.

They stood up uber and spread their leaves looking beautiful as each day went by.  Finally when they were dry as they should get, which was less than a 2 or "Very Dry" on my hydrometer, I watered them finally and even took it easy on how much I gave them.

5 hours later...they are drooping slightly in response to the moisture or watering I gave them...and look again very much like yours do.  This is ok as I have heard and read that this happens when they get watered often and then the following day will be back to normal etc.

My basic understanding is that the leaves droop when they get watered because they begin filling up and drinking up the water into the leaves...adding weight at first to the leaves until the process of expelling the water takes off again.

If you only recently did that transplant, I suggest getting them into 3 gallon containers with a moist medium now while they are still not reestablished in those small pots and then do not water them for a week and make sure before you do, they are DRY.  When my plants were bone dry, the leaves fanned out straight and even.  Drooping leaves is not a sign that they need water...exact opposite in this case.

The soil in your pics looks *wet* to me so again it is either overwatering, improper drainage or the 100% Jiffys/Peat medium they started in...but I am more likely to think one of the first two.

Good luck. I hope this info helps.

--------------------
"I never post unless high.  Well that does explain a lot then."

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do

Current Grow Journal

Offlinesmoked_out_haze
artwork. dope.

Re: Curly Droopy Leaves (pics) [Re: Azyle00]
    #304642 - 10/27/09 12:06 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

That watering info helps a lot and so does the chart :wink: Thanks!

Well I planted them into the small pots about 10 days ago so I guess I'll need to wait until the roots are established enough to pull the roots out in one ball as Magash stated.

The soil in the pics was watered about 24 hours before the pics were taken. I'll definitely cut back on watering though. I think if I can, roots permitting, I'm going to re-pot them this weekend into my larger, final pots. Also placing them under the HPS at the same time.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#304754 - 10/27/09 03:19 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Give them a few days after you re-pot them before putting them in to flower

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

#304756 - 10/27/09 03:24 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

And to reconfirm, my plants that I watered yesterday morning and they had drooped just like yours look once again by end of the day...now today, they are all back to normal, leaves fanned and spread looking healthy and beautiful.  Seems like smaller plants need about 24 hours after being watered to kinda get back into handling the increase of water they suddenly have.

As a novice, if I water them and then 10 hours later they looked droopy like that, well I would have thought, oh they need MORE water...and gave them more...when of course, it is exactly opposite.

Good luck :smile:

--------------------

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Current Grow Journal

Offlinesmoked_out_haze
artwork. dope.

#304788 - 10/27/09 04:17 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Well I havent checked since about 12 hours ago, but they were still kinda droopy this morning. I'll check again when I get home from work.

I was planning on waiting until the plants are about 1.5 feet before switching to flower. I want to keep one of the females outside to prevent her from flowering and keep as a mother. I'll probably use the CFLs my small plants are under now to keep her lit.

Offlinesmoked_out_haze
artwork. dope.

#304837 - 10/27/09 06:27 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

The lowest two leaves (not the round ones) are browning on most of the plants now. Is this because of the nutrients?

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #304948 - 10/27/09 08:50 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

most likely.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Re: Curly Droopy Leaves (pics) [Re: coda]
    #304962 - 10/27/09 09:17 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

In some cases the lowest leaves will die and fall off

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

#304977 - 10/27/09 09:52 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Happened with mine as well.  Also some yellow spots.  All further damage ceased on transplant and proper drainage and watering.

The seed leaves may yellow/brown and fall off, even the first leaf too.

--------------------

Current Grow Journal

Offlinesmoked_out_haze
artwork. dope.

#305642 - 10/28/09 05:42 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

well thats crappy. so the leaves are dying because of the nutes or is that just what they do?

well whats done is done. as long as they live  :ganja:

Offlinesmoked_out_haze
artwork. dope.

#306258 - 10/29/09 02:58 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Azyle00 said:
Happened with mine as well.  Also some yellow spots.  All further damage ceased on transplant and proper drainage and watering.

The seed leaves may yellow/brown and fall off, even the first leaf too.

So now more than just the bottom two leaves are turning brown. I dont mean the seed leaves either. Should I transplant them tonight to the bigger pots or do you think they can hang on until Saturday? I'll do whatever I need to do to keep them alive :S

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

#306337 - 10/29/09 05:28 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Transplanting them at this point so soon after the last one is not advised really.  They may be stressed from what they have gone through.  Are you seeing new growth and how is the new growth looking?

I just watered some starters today.  They are 1 week from sprout.  Container is bone dry now and they have just started second node of real leaves.  They are green and alert.  Tomorrow, I expect to see them droop all day as the other have done under watering conditions.

Hope your plants survive. If you are seeing positive, healthy new growth though, I would still not worry and just keep an eye on them, mostly on the new growth.  Bad leaves, they don't fix usually.  Over time they lose them as they are too weak to compete anymore.

--------------------

Current Grow Journal

Offlinesmoked_out_haze
artwork. dope.

#306395 - 10/29/09 07:12 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

The new growth looks pretty good and is still growing. I guess I'm just over worrying. After examining more thoroughly I'm finding its actually just the plants that spouted a day or two later than the first one that are browning on more than just the bottom leaves. They actually don't look too good. There is 3 of these plants and the new growth looks really droopy and sick. On all the other plants the new growth is healthy looking.

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

#306402 - 10/29/09 07:41 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Give it some more time.  Also, my new sprouts did exactly as I predicted, drooping 1 hour after watering.

--------------------

Current Grow Journal

Offlinesmoked_out_haze
artwork. dope.

#307047 - 10/30/09 06:08 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

All my plants are dying. The young ones leaves are completely hanging right down and shrivling up. The slightly older plants leaves are just completely drooped but not really shrivled at all...

Is there anything I can do at this point?

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

#307106 - 10/30/09 08:36 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Given the age of the plants, it is highly unlikely you are going to save them.

--------------------

Current Grow Journal

Offlinesmoked_out_haze
artwork. dope.

#307107 - 10/30/09 08:43 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Damn! That's shitty. Well, a tough lesson to learn the hard way :sad:

OfflineEro42oH2o
master of the bush
 User Gallery

#307729 - 11/01/09 10:59 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I wish Darwin Grew pot and posted here.

--------------------
All of the statements and posts I make or have made are fake. I just found all the pictures and copied and pasted them here. I am in no way associated with any of the materials discussed here. I'm just bored, and lame.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom