Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebryguy27007

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Minnesota
Seriously Considering Grow
    #645691 - 11/12/12 11:09 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Alright guys, I've always half-assedly thought about growing but only now am I seriously considering it. I have a very small closet that was holding me back until I realized that we have an completely unused room in the basement that would be almost perfect (I live in a house).

The room is about 12x12x10 feet. There is a small window at the top of the room that is about 1'x4'. It is frosted and has a foam-filled hole that would be great for venting out I believe. On the outside, the window is right at ground-level, somebody would have to be on their hands and knees to look in, although the light would leak out I suppose. There is a house about 15 feet away from the window, a couple of college kids live in that house. As I look over their basement light is on so I don't think that would be too suspicious.

There are no outlets that I saw in my quick scan of the room (like I said, it's unused), but there are two outlets immediately outside the door (12 inches).

I was thinking about doing maybe 6 plants in there (no more, legal concerns). I was thinking about using HPS lights. Don't want to use CFLs and probably don't have the money for LED. Maybe a 600 watt HPS? There are exposed wooden rafters that would be easy to hang a light. I'm not too worried about heat. This would happen during a Minnesota winter and we generally keep the house around 60* so I don't think the lights would overheat, I may even be concerned about the plants being too cold with the venting.

To get list:
  • Seeds
    -Couple of thoughts, maybe Blueberry or True Blueberry by DJ Short (the best weed I've ever smoked was in Florida and tasted like blueberries and a hint of mint, I'm hoping these will remind me of that beautiful day); or something from Barney's Farm, or something off of Dr. GreenThumb, HempDepot, Dr Chronic.
    -Maybe DNA Sour Diesel or Lemon Skunk off of HempDepot
    -Leaning towards feminized seeds
    -Seedbay
  • Pots
  • Soil
  • Nutrients - I remember reading about Fox Farms being very good)
  • Light system (HPS bulb, ballast, timer, reflectors?)
  • Venting
  • Fan
  • Carbon Filter
  • pH meter, thermometer, humidity monitor

I don't exactly know what my budget is. I don't have much money for now but won't get this going for at least another month or two. I guess if I could keep the cost under 700 or 800 dollars that would be nice. I guess it depends on potential yield as well. I know it depends greatly on lighting, strain, and technique, but could I maybe expect 1.5oz per plant? I will also get a better idea of this after I look into lighting and maybe reflectors.

I will be gone two weeks in January so I will either wait until after then or have my roommates watch the plants then, although I think it will take at least that much planning and preparation before I get started.

There are a couple of concerns I have. The first is smell. Both inside the house and outside of the house. The room has a circle hole 1' in diameter leading from the main basement to the grow room. I could probably find some way to patch that though. That plus the door doesn't close all the way so there isn't a good seal there, I could do a little sanding and get it to fit better but it's an old house and the seal will never be perfect. I'm more worried about smell in the house than out of the house (although I am worried about that as well). Most people that come over are pot-friendly and we smoke enough in the house that it usually smells a little of weed. Our landlord is a nice guy who never really checks in on us, only when we call him and ask (and even then sometimes it's hard to get him to show up). He is a chill guy in his late 20's. I'm sure he wouldn't want somebody growing in his house but I don't think he would freak out if he found out. Not trying to ever figure out the answer to that though.

I live with 2 other people, both of them smoke and are my friend and would be for this (considering they know they would get to smoke for free after harvest). I would tell both of them about the grow and I trust them to not tell anybody, although I am a little worried about one of them getting drunk and letting a hint or two slip.

I need to do a lot more research on lights, venting systems, and carbon filters. I've done almost no reading on those subjects. Also on legality. I know it would be a felony if I got caught but I'm hoping that with no record except a parking ticket I would just get drug court and probation or something. I obviously have a lot more thinking and planning to do but if anybody has any advice or pointers I would love to hear them. I'll have a bunch more questions as I do more research so this will be my thread for that as well.

Oh, and I'm assuming getting lights, seeds, nutrients sent to a different house is a must so I'd have to find somebody willing to do that. I suppose there might be a store I could get lights at around here but I haven't looked into it yet. Seeds I'd have to get offline of course.

I will also look into the logistics of installing a lock on the grow room door. It sounds like this is a very good idea.

I just found these 2 threads which are helping a lot:
http://www.growery.org/2796/Cannabis-growing-guide
Indoor Growing For Noobs

Edited by bryguy27007 (11/13/12 12:46 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Seriously Considering Grow [Re: bryguy27007]
    #645693 - 11/12/12 11:18 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I think buying in venting equipment and carbon filter is well worth the money.

Offlinebryguy27007

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Seriously Considering Grow [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #645694 - 11/12/12 11:20 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Deadkndys420 said:
I think buying in venting equipment and carbon filter is well worth the money.

Oh trust me, I'm going to get these for sure. I'm just not sure how much they will cost, haven't looked into it yet. I consider these items that protect my freedom and improve my product and won't skimp if the time comes that I do this grow.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
    #645700 - 11/13/12 03:29 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I would work on the room and wait until you got back to start the grow. Cover the window don't let any light out just because your neighbors light is on doesn't mean anything. A hps /mh is a littler brighter than the incandescent lighting they are using.

I don't trust my best friend with the knowledge of me growing. I would be extremely careful.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineNameInUse
Strange
Male User Gallery

Re: Seriously Considering Grow [Re: mhbound]
    #645706 - 11/13/12 07:27 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

mhbound said:
I would work on the room and wait until you got back to start the grow. Cover the window don't let any light out just because your neighbors light is on doesn't mean anything. A hps /mh is a littler brighter than the incandescent lighting they are using.

I don't trust my best friend with the knowledge of me growing. I would be extremely careful.

Exactly! Every step I take is to protect me from rippers, doing this covers my bases with LE as well. If I can spot a grow, thieves can too.

--------------------
But then an even greater force emerged: The un! And the un un-nazi'd the world! Forever!

Offlinebryguy27007

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Seriously Considering Grow [Re: NameInUse]
    #645707 - 11/13/12 08:13 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

mhbound said:

Quote:

NameInUse said:
Quote:

mhbound said:

Exactly! Every step I take is to protect me from rippers, doing this covers my bases with LE as well. If I can spot a grow, thieves can too.

Alright, well it will be easy to cover that window. No problem.

It won't be possible to do it without them knowing. They do laundry 2 feet away from the room. That plus they would ask why I was spending so much time in the basement. They'd also ask why I'd move the weight machine out of the room and patching the hole in the wall. If everybody thinks it's a bad idea for them to know then I will probably have to scrap the project.

Me and one of my roommates did grow out a plant with some CFLs out of some bagseed for a couple of weeks in our old place just for the hell of it. We scrapped it when a friend got arrested but he didn't say anything then.

Edited by bryguy27007 (11/13/12 09:27 AM)

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #645815 - 11/13/12 09:56 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Maybe try and get your roommates to pitch in on the equipment? That way they have more incentives to keep their mouths shut...

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinebryguy27007

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Seriously Considering Grow [Re: Tank333]
    #646156 - 11/16/12 08:17 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Tank333 said:
Maybe try and get your roommates to pitch in on the equipment? That way they have more incentives to keep their mouths shut...

I've talked to one of them. He doesn't really have any money. He knows what is on the line but I'm still not sure if I'm going through with this or not. He agreed that he would have found out eventually. He says he coule buy a couple little things but that's about all.

Any other tips from other people?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals