Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: Is this normal for such a young AK47 seedling? [Re: Fraggy]
    #571180 - 07/10/11 08:22 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

What is the pH of your water and soil again?

What nutrients? Any nutrients in the soil?

How often are you watering? It could be overwatering coupled with a pH problem, but I'm not sure.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePernicious
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

Loc: East Coast
Re: Is this normal for such a young AK47 seedling? [Re: mhbound]
    #571201 - 07/10/11 09:05 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

i actually get the large chunk oyster shells from my local farmers co-op. they sell it to mix with chicken feed.

as far as the soil mix i have had great success with it and the ph tends to be fairly neutral like around 7-7.5 but i always take it down with some aluminum sulfate or elemental sulfur depending on what i have available (worst case scenario if im really broke i just use white vinegar and water :frown: seems to work though.)

i always keep my soil around a ph of 6. right now its at 6.1-6.3

i dunno man get them transplanted and they should make a full recovery. they tend to do well when left to their own devices.

OfflineFraggy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Is this normal for such a young AK47 seedling? [Re: mhbound]
    #571234 - 07/11/11 01:46 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

mhbound said:
What is the pH of your water and soil again?

What nutrients? Any nutrients in the soil?

How often are you watering? It could be overwatering coupled with a pH problem, but I'm not sure.

No nutes at all, except for those already present in Black Earth and Worm Castings...

pH is somewhere between 6,5 and 7,5...

Watering: second time in two weeks... The nice thing about transparent plastic bottles is that you can see how the upper part dries out while the lower part stays wet and the roots reaching deeper and deeper to get to the water. In my previous experience it was a pleasure to see the plant matting the container with its expanding roots. I did water before the bottom was completely dry but even then overwatering is pretty unprobable because the soil drains really well... I always give water until 10% of it comes out of the bottom holes, this to make sure part of the plants' metabolites get washed away with this 10%...

Please take a good look at the root pics, click to zoom, the pics are pretty detailed, and tell me how the roots look to you.

I know MJ prefers it acid... Even though 7,5 should be tolerated, perhaps it's too high for these babes?

OfflineFraggy
Stranger
 User Gallery

#574803 - 07/26/11 09:35 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I took no further risks and transplanted them. They are now fully recovered and growing like crazy!

It was definatly Calcium deficit and the brand of black earth was the problem: roots had serious troubles to develop! Don't know if it was a pH problem or wathever, but the problem is solved, won't be using the same brand of black earth again, even if it was only one bad batch.

Against your advice, I still keep them in transparent containers, so I kan keep track of root development and this time, the roots are growing explosively, they reached the bottom of the bottle in less then a week and already the matting process is taking place.
I know that having light shine on the roots is never optimal, because it could trigger the formation of chlorophyle and have the root loose its functionality, but this would never be an actual problem, since the plant is smart enough to shoot roots inwards, where there is no light. As a matter of fact this happens a lot with trees and bushes in nature...

But the roots of my plants do not even turn green, instead they keep branching into finer and finer white and hairy filaments. Another big advantage of a transparent container is that I have a quick visual reference on water housing status: condense drops will show that the soil at the bottom is still moist while the upper soil may be dry.

Perhaps the transparency does have some serious drawbacks, I don't really know because I never have had any negative experience with this method... I suppose the light may favour the growth of unwanted algae or fungus... In any case, if desired, the light can be excluded at will with an outer layer of paper, plastic or cloth... In my opinion, a transparent container is useful especially for cloning, so you can see humidity level and if the cutting is rooting properly. (Although I fully switched all my cloning activities to hydro :smile:).

InvisiblebrainsOplenty
ganja farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: zion
    #574939 - 07/27/11 05:39 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

i'm gonna say the ph of your tap water is probably the culprit. either get some distilled water or spring for a RO filter. you can pick-up a soil ph test meter at most hardware stores or garden shops for like 15 bucks. an overall plant tonic containing b1, hormones and other vitamins will relieve your plants of stress. look for superthrive it's the best i've ever used. works well for general well-being, transplanting, and reviving plants that have experienced less than optimal care. by the way where are you from? hope any of this might help, and good luck:thumbup:

--------------------
it's written right here.
it's absolutely clear.
the ganja herb is the healing of the nation.

OfflineFraggy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Is this normal for such a young AK47 seedling? [Re: brainsOplenty]
    #575137 - 07/28/11 05:23 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I am from Argentina, therefore the pH strips and other tools (stuff like "superthrive") may be hard or impossible to get by. There are some "underground" growshops here though that may sell imported stuff (at exhorbitant prices though...)

For now the plants are fine, but were watered once with an antishock solution when transplanting and since then I've only watered once with tapwater. They are looking super healthy right now but if the water is a problem that could possibly change in the future.

Note that two of my seedlings never had any problem at all, and those two were the two only seedlings that were using black earth from my previous (and successful) experience... So despite of receiving the same tapwater as the rest, they remained healthy. This could be coincidence though I don't think so... But even then, the pH is on the high side, I'm craving for rain water. Since I live in a department without balcony it is a bit difficult to recollect rainwater, but I'm thinking of making some kind of rain collector that I can hang out of my windows or something...
Rainwater is slightly acid and is really the best thing for MJ. In my previous growing experience I was living in another department were I had access to plenty of rainwater and the plants just loved it!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates