Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFugueRider
God! I Love Psychedelics!
 User Gallery

Honey Oil Via Distillation
    #494656 - 11/03/10 12:12 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Okay - So the only tech I have been able to come across for making honey oil is by using hexane, and I aren't able to get any hexane. I heard it is controlled now since it is used in meth labs now. But whatever the reason is, I cant' get a hold of any hexane. Someone in the hexane thread said they got the same results using Coleman fuel (Naptha), but I've tried it, and can't get anything to filter out. So I don't know how that guy was able to do it in the absence of hexane.

So I am going to try this by distillation. I plan on doing a solvent extraction as usual, and then distilling off the solvent. In order to do this right though, I need to at least have the temp of the boiling solvent up to about 315F+. That will presumably get the oil to carry over with the solvent. I am going to be doing this outside (no better ventilation right?). For safety, I'm going to have the thing in a large plexiglass container with an opening at the top for fresh air(oxygen for my flame source), and a fan hooked up to some duct work to suck out any vapors that may collect in the thing. I'm going to those efforts because I am worried about the thing exploding at the higher temps I need.

(If anyone sees any flaws in my planned safety regiment, then please feel free to comment).

This leads to my big question though. A simple heating element is not enough to get the temps as high as I need them. So I need to buy something better like a Bunsen burner. I don't really know what to buy though. If I buy a Bunsen burner, then what do I do about the gas? Do I hook the thing up to a container of propane or something? I don't want to go into the science store with my hands shoved into my pocket, and sort of stuttering out what I need. I want to be able to go in and ask for what I need, and then leave with no questions asked.

So does anyone have any ideas about the best way to go about getting my solvent heated up to 315F+? Thanks.

Edited by FugueRider (11/03/10 12:36 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Honey Oil Via Distillation [Re: FugueRider]
    #494778 - 11/03/10 05:20 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Are you doing this to reclaim the solvent once you're done?

You could avoid all this hassle and just buy some butane, or, you can purchase a can of residue free electrical contact cleaner and use that (which is just hexane and a propellant).

IMO flames and solvents never mix, especially in a homemade setup.  I'm sure you could do it, but things like that just make me too nervous to offer advice on.  One wrong step and you're a marshmallow.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineFugueRider
 User Gallery

Re: Honey Oil Via Distillation [Re: coda]
    #495966 - 11/07/10 11:39 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
Are you doing this to reclaim the solvent once you're done?

You could avoid all this hassle and just buy some butane, or, you can purchase a can of residue free electrical contact cleaner and use that (which is just hexane and a propellant).

IMO flames and solvents never mix, especially in a homemade setup.  I'm sure you could do it, but things like that just make me too nervous to offer advice on.  One wrong step and you're a marshmallow.

Well that is cool to know...about the electrical contact cleaner. I would much rather use a flame free environment than one with flames. I had decided to do away with the flames anyway. I don't have the experience to fuck with it. I had thought about a heating element that can heat stuff up really high, but that won't cause vapors to explode. But I'm leery of that also.

I'm going to go with your idea of the electrical contact cleaner before I do anything else. Thanks.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #496133 - 11/07/10 09:15 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

https://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/65921

Read the write up I did on how to do a Hexane extraction.  It's dead simple.

--------------------

Invisibledoublehelix
Bodhisativa

#497688 - 11/13/10 10:53 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

:awesomenod:

OfflineFugueRider
 User Gallery

#501382 - 11/28/10 08:40 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
https://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/65921

Read the write up I did on how to do a Hexane extraction.  It's dead simple.

Dude - That is really, really solid. I'm gonna order the right stuff, and see how this all pans out. It'll be a couple of months though till I have some leftover trim. But I cant' wait!

OfflineOregonChronic
State of Jefferson

Loc: Oregon
    #501621 - 11/29/10 10:35 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Shit i got TONS of material for the extraction...i just got a hard time finding the hexane. I worry about impurities in chemical solvents.

When i find where to get PURE hexane with ZERO impurities then i will give it a go. I just dont like the sound of using contact cleaner that contains a "propellant".

If the solvent evaporates on a mirror, leaving nothing visible behind to the point where i can lick it without worrying, then i will use it to make oil.

But until then i just worry too much about impurities. I just made some BHO from vector butane because i heard its a good brand. But when sprayed on a mirror it still leaves behind some white shit behind.

Where could i get PURE hexane other than contact cleaner? Im about to order it.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Honey Oil Via Distillation [Re: OregonChronic]
    #501629 - 11/29/10 11:29 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Call a local chemical supply store, I think a liter of lab grade hexane runs about 100$.  It's not a watched chemical, requires no permits to obtain, just dress nice and pay in cash.

or....

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Hexane+for+Purchase

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates