Home | Community | Message Board


Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Cannabis, Marijuana, Ganja & Greens >> Cannabis Cultivation

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Kratom, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinepheed
Stranger

Registered: 07/10/10
Posts: 18
Last seen: 11 months, 4 days
circulating fan bad during germination stage?
    #501037 - 11/26/10 11:05 PM (6 years, 16 days ago)

I'd like to know if it would be wise to keep a circulating fan turned off while seeds are germinating in 1 gallon pots. I'm worried that the top layer might be drying out too quickly. Any thoughts?

If it matters, it's a coco coir grow (85/15 mix with perlite) in a 2x2x5 tent...


Edited by pheed (11/26/10 11:07 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Registered: 04/20/08
Posts: 1,359
Loc: KOREA
Re: circulating fan bad during germination stage? [Re: pheed]
    #501042 - 11/26/10 11:15 PM (6 years, 16 days ago)

I don't think so. The very top of the soil is not what you want to worry about anyways. Feel with your finger to your second knuckle to check how moist the soil is. You want the soil to dry out some anyways before you water again, this will make the roots strive for water and reach out for it.

It will reduce wind damage on the leaves if they have the wind from the start.

Wind damage turns the leaves crisp and a blueish/grayish color.

On other plants wind damage looks different in color.

When I grew I put wind on the seedlings about a week in and it made the leaves crisp up. Possibly was drying them out. The newer leaves that was used to that growing condition was unaffected, the older leaves that were not and had direct wind on them were.

I also get wind damage on my kratoms every fall, same effect the ones that come out after the wind starts are used to wind and go unaffected and the ones that were not get fucked up, really badly.

I'd add a little verm to that mix, just my preference.


--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White


Edited by Laysthepipe (11/26/10 11:21 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepheed
Stranger

Registered: 07/10/10
Posts: 18
Last seen: 11 months, 4 days
Re: circulating fan bad during germination stage? [Re: Laysthepipe]
    #501043 - 11/26/10 11:22 PM (6 years, 16 days ago)

So it's okay for the top layer (where the seed is, 1/4" down) to dry out? Doesn't the seed need continual moisture in order to germinate? I thought that's why some people germinate in glasses of water or wet paper towels.

Quote:

Laysthepipe said:
I don't think so. The very top of the soil is not what you want to worry about anyways. Feel with your finger to your second knuckle to check how moist the soil is. You want the soil to dry out some anyways before you water again.




Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Registered: 04/20/08
Posts: 1,359
Loc: KOREA
Re: circulating fan bad during germination stage? [Re: pheed]
    #501044 - 11/26/10 11:27 PM (6 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

pheed said:
So it's okay for the top layer (where the seed is, 1/4" down) to dry out? Doesn't the seed need continual moisture in order to germinate? I thought that's why some people germinate in glasses of water or wet paper towels.

Quote:

Laysthepipe said:
I don't think so. The very top of the soil is not what you want to worry about anyways. Feel with your finger to your second knuckle to check how moist the soil is. You want the soil to dry out some anyways before you water again.








Well, as far as germination goes, you can always give them a little water right where the seed is to keep it moist once you feel it is too dry. You can also wait until right when they pop to turn on the fans.

1/4" down sounds shallow to me. If your seed was 1/4" tall I woulda went 1/2" down.


--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepheed
Stranger

Registered: 07/10/10
Posts: 18
Last seen: 11 months, 4 days
Re: circulating fan bad during germination stage? [Re: Laysthepipe]
    #501046 - 11/26/10 11:34 PM (6 years, 16 days ago)

Yeah, it's actually more like 1/3-1/2" down. It's just that the guide I read said to bury them 1/4" down, but I thought that seemed shallow as well and did go a bit deeper.

Quote:

Laysthepipe said:
1/4" down sounds shallow to me. If your seed was 1/4" tall I woulda went 1/2" down.




Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male


Registered: 04/20/08
Posts: 4,181
Loc: State of Mind Flag
Last seen: 4 months, 28 days
Trusted Cultivator
Re: circulating fan bad during germination stage? [Re: pheed]
    #501072 - 11/27/10 01:30 AM (6 years, 16 days ago)

You don't want the top layer to dry out before the seeds germinate.  You want constant moisture until you see the cotyledon.  That said, you can have circulation on while they germinate, just keep them moist...check them 3 or 4 times a day, and you won't have a problem.
I use rapid rooters or oasis cubes in sprouting trays that sit in water so that the cube wicks the moisture up the medium. 
You guys are quibbling over a 1/4 of an inch btw, you think in nature these things fall on the ground or get buried by animals and then refuse to sprout b/c they're a quarter inch deeper than the seed that fell next to them?  It won't make that much difference.  Many people go by the "twice the depth of the seed" rule of thumb, others just by 1x the depth of the seed.  It won't make that big a difference.  Mine go just below the surface, so about a 1/4 inch, but seriously, stop overthinking this, germination is the easy part.


--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut


BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Registered: 04/20/08
Posts: 1,359
Loc: KOREA
Re: circulating fan bad during germination stage? [Re: 81renaissance]
    #501077 - 11/27/10 01:42 AM (6 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

81renaissance said:
You don't want the top layer to dry out before the seeds germinate.  You want constant moisture until you see the cotyledon.  That said, you can have circulation on while they germinate, just keep them moist...check them 3 or 4 times a day, and you won't have a problem.
I use rapid rooters or oasis cubes in sprouting trays that sit in water so that the cube wicks the moisture up the medium. 
You guys are quibbling over a 1/4 of an inch btw, you think in nature these things fall on the ground or get buried by animals and then refuse to sprout b/c they're a quarter inch deeper than the seed that fell next to them?  It won't make that much difference.  Many people go by the "twice the depth of the seed" rule of thumb, others just by 1x the depth of the seed.  It won't make that big a difference.  Mine go just below the surface, so about a 1/4 inch, but seriously, stop overthinking this, germination is the easy part.





I like them deeper in attempt to get them to be shorter plants + more moisture. Has nothing to do with overthinking it. I stuck mine in 3/4"-1" last time I done it, but I was just posting atleast 1/2" for a 1/4" seed since that's a common practice..

1/4" is barely even into the soil, thats pretty close to placing the seed ontop of the soil to plant it imo. Some bigger seeds that deep you could probably even see part of them while laying on their side.


--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White


Edited by Laysthepipe (11/27/10 01:51 AM)


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male


Registered: 01/14/09
Posts: 11,628
Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Last seen: 1 month, 28 days
Re: circulating fan bad during germination stage? [Re: Laysthepipe]
    #501447 - 11/28/10 03:59 PM (6 years, 14 days ago)

Coco is a bitch to start in...next time germ in water or paper towels beforehand IMO. :shrug:


--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Registered: 06/27/10
Posts: 1,111
Trusted Cultivator
Re: circulating fan bad during germination stage? [Re: RasJeph]
    #501454 - 11/28/10 04:11 PM (6 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

RasJeph said:
Coco is a bitch to start in...next time germ in water or paper towels beforehand IMO. :shrug:




Coco in plug trays has got me the best germination results. Soaking the seeds before hand or not I've got virtually 100% germination.

Rockwool I found good but I found it a pita to transplant, and the hole that is wider than the seedling stem bothers me as I like the comfort of giving my plants the most root/stem support when they're young. I don't mind giving my seeds a quick soak but I think letting the tails elongate a bit in paper towels is more trouble than it's worth. It's nice to give your seedling an advantage having it's tap root pointing down but you can easily harm your seedlings by germinating them in water or paper towels when your transplant them.

I can also keep my coco saturated and it won't hurt the seedlings. Rockwool saturated is too wet as is a lot of other medium.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Kratom, Perlite, Vermiculite

Cannabis, Marijuana, Ganja & Greens >> Cannabis Cultivation

Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* *Discussion 2 - 03/02/2010 - The Germination Process and Techniques*
( 1 2 all )
FurrowedBrowM 12,803 32 05/26/11 03:55 PM
by FurrowedBrow
* God for a day (germination) lifemaker 1,019 9 10/18/10 08:12 AM
by RasJeph
* Start from scratch grow guide......
( 1 2 all )
lilmafia513 15,829 39 09/10/14 11:53 PM
by lilmafia513
* fan/light-distance/nutes zielonagora 3,092 7 06/25/09 10:34 AM
by zielonagora
* Should I have an INTAKE fan blowing directly on the plants? pftek 3,939 17 11/11/09 08:57 AM
by Jeff Funk
* Air circulation Buddy 5,351 4 07/29/09 02:46 PM
by Buddy
* Got myself a decent fan! Johnny420 2,006 14 12/14/08 06:36 PM
by Johnny420
* air circulation question plambe 499 3 09/13/10 11:30 PM
by maryanne3087

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: FurrowedBrow, Magash, Dr. Siekadellyk, phychotron
1,709 topic views. 3 members, 275 guests and 92 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Toggle Favorite | Print Topic | Stats ]
Search this thread:
Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2016 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.068 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 14 queries.