Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinereckless
Stoner

Loc: Flag
What are the advantages of organic?
    #481143 - 09/23/10 02:09 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I don't really understand the reasons for choosing to grow organic..  Do the plants grow faster, produce bigger buds, taste and smell better etc???  Do organic buds sell for more money? Or is it something people do to increase their "hippy cred"??

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelucas_southoz
Australian
Male

Re: What are the advantages of organic? [Re: reckless]
    #481144 - 09/23/10 02:23 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

wtf is hippy cred:awewtf:

Offlinereckless
Stoner

Re: What are the advantages of organic? [Re: lucas_southoz]
    #481147 - 09/23/10 02:36 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Hippy- The hippie subculture was originally a youth movement that arose in the United States during the mid-1960s.

Cred- short for "credibility". An ability to inspire belief in others.

edit: On re-reading this thread, I can see how the phrase "hippy cred" could be misinterpreted by some people as being inflammatory. I didn't mean anything negative by it. Some of the coolest people I know self-describe as hippies, and I have nothing but respect for everybody on this board..

Edited by reckless (09/23/10 03:02 AM)

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

#481186 - 09/23/10 08:13 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

This is a contentious topic.  If you go back before micracle grow and other chemicals hit the market, organic was the way things were done.  People used ingredients from the environment around them to modify their soil and grow better crops than the existing soil compounds would allow.  Think of Native Americans adding fish to their corn fields and such.  This had advanced quite a bit to today's organic choices and products, but the original methods are still tried and true (I have a 65 year old organic gardening book that I trust more than most modern writings).

A long long time ago I helped a friend with his plant grow op.  We found that taking the basic soil mixes he was using and amending with organic ingredients gave us better taste and smoke.  The chemicals we tried were much more likely to burn the plants and we did not get the finish we liked.  Keep in mind that was 20 years ago.

Some of the modern grow information and strain grow guides seem to indicate that organic still has an edge in the taste and finish categories (something about terpines?).  I don't think you get any growing or size advantage since it is more of a natural process when compared to hydro chemicals.

****  Don't kill me if something I have said is slightly off.  I haven't had any opportunity to play with the modern methods and I was just jumping in to help this person get an answer.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

Offlinereckless
Stoner

Re: What are the advantages of organic? [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #481193 - 09/23/10 08:20 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the response.  Sounds like a valid answer. Most people believe that organic products are taste better and are better for the environment and such..

It would be hard for me to buy the whole "better for the environment" argument from people growing plants inside though.

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

#481275 - 09/23/10 01:28 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Indoor growing does use power, so I can agree with that statement partly.  Although you might find someone who says that to grow outdoors requires a 30 minute car trip each way to their safe spot and growing indoors only takes some electricity.  Which creates more of a carbon footprint? 

Organic gets a lot of support, especially those who use minimally processed organic ingredients.  I see chemical companies offer organic ingredients that have been so heavily processed that they might as well be considered non-organic (like some of the hydro nutes).  A lot of the organic backing comes from people who want to see us use less processed ingredients.  A many times the highly processed stuff carries the baggage of being dangerous to the environment where it is produced, not necessarily used.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

Offlinereckless
Stoner

Re: What are the advantages of organic? [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #481410 - 09/23/10 07:31 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

More good points..

I also wonder if the plants process organic nutrients any differently. If you are giving them the nutrients they need, does it matter if those nutrients come from guano, or from a bottle of chemical nutrients?? I still don't understand how if you are giving the plant the same nutrients, how organic could make the plant taste, smell, or burn better..

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom