Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineEdge
Stranger
Flushing and organics
    #363291 - 02/12/10 05:20 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Sooooooooo....

My friend is kinda new at this whole deal,
also kinda not, and knows what the deal is.

But, he doesn't fully understand certain "gaps" here and there in the story and in the picture.

Its understood that flushing will, and of course this is opinionated to a degree, reduce the harsh/nasty taste of nutrient/salt buildup from fertilizers when done two weeks before harvest in a soil grow.  This, and it makes the bud easier to burn?

It is also understood that this is more of a problem in hydro grows, and inorganic grows in particular.

My friend has gone 100% organic with a Coir/pearlite/worm castings/lime medium with Earth Juice products (mostly sea weed and bat guano liquid ferts), fertilizing every watering (5-9 day intervals) with Earth Juice products and an organic catalyst w/ organic cane sugar, Mg,  S on the market called "Sweet".  The PPM was slowly raised to 600ppm (in the water during waterings) over time and was maintained at about that for the entire grow.  Although this is a relatively "low" PPM, the girls were veeeerrry receptive... surprisingly so (part of the reasoning to maintain it).  The strain is Jamaican Ice and his first run w/ it.  Ph at waterings was brought to 6.1-6.4 using "pH down" from General Hydroponics.

His questions are this.  Due to the care taken in NOT over fertilizing and keeping things at 600ppm at waterings, AND this grow is organic, should he even worry about flushing before harvest?

Its been read that you don't really need to flush for organic grows, and it doesn't have much of an effect.  AFOAF also said that at such of level of PPM there shouldn't be much of a problem when it comes to how things taste.

Its all very confusing and something he'd like to ask all of your opinions on.

Thanks, peace, love,
--All that good clean stuff.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: Flushing and organics [Re: Edge]
    #363318 - 02/12/10 06:04 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I'd say do some kind of flush, there's no point pumping them full of ferts the week before cutting them down anyway, plus the medium will probably hold some nutrients for awhile.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Flushing and organics [Re: DungenessDank]
    #363372 - 02/12/10 07:05 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Always flush, regardless of medium or whether your using organic or not.  I guarantee you will end up with a product in the end that you will be happier with.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineMushrooMan420
Muncher

Loc: CA
Re: Flushing and organics [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #380832 - 03/09/10 07:42 PM (14 years, 13 days ago)

FLUSH

--------------------
x:tongue:

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Flushing and organics [Re: MushrooMan420]
    #381224 - 03/10/10 11:00 AM (14 years, 12 days ago)

pH up and down are not organic, you need to flush.

True 100% organic growers can't possibly flush their soil of everything in it (organic soil mixes have tons of organic matter in them and are teeming with microlife that constantly makes more available), so there's no need to flush.

Your friend on the other hand has introduced inorganic compounds to the soil and should do the final 2 weeks flush to remove them from the plant material.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

Loc: Unknown
Re: Flushing and organics [Re: 81renaissance]
    #381726 - 03/11/10 05:29 AM (14 years, 11 days ago)

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Flushing and organics [Re: 81renaissance] * 1
    #382381 - 03/12/10 06:14 AM (14 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

81renaissance said:
pH up and down are not organic, you need to flush.

True 100% organic growers can't possibly flush their soil of everything in it (organic soil mixes have tons of organic matter in them and are teeming with microlife that constantly makes more available), so there's no need to flush.

Your friend on the other hand has introduced inorganic compounds to the soil and should do the final 2 weeks flush to remove them from the plant material.

Do you not flush in soil? I've read you don't need to from Mandala's guides on soil and from other people but never personally tried not flushing. My first couple grows were in soil using similar guides to soil as DJ Short's and Big Buddha seeds advised and always flushed due to their recommendation.

Have you ever had side by side same clone grown in soil one with and without a flush? I'm ever so curious about flush vs no flush and organic vs inorganic nutrients. I've attempted to test for myself but have only flushed in soil and have never done a side by side to test inorganic hydro vs organic hydro without bias.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Flushing and organics [Re: captain.koons]
    #382392 - 03/12/10 08:04 AM (14 years, 10 days ago)

I literally use 0 nutrients in my soil. I build my soil at the beginning, give it a week or two to cook and reach equilibrium with the microlife, and then the plants go in.  They get R/O water, and the occasional bacterial or fungal tea to keep the microherd numbers high, and other than that I watch the plants grow.
I do have supplies on hand to battle any micro-nute deficiencies, but I only need those when I'm experimenting with my soil mix and I screw something up.

So no, I don't flush, or you could say that the whole grow is one big flush :grin:

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #382393 - 03/12/10 08:06 AM (14 years, 10 days ago)

What is this bacterial/fungal tea?

Do you start with a heavily fertilized soil to begin with?

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Flushing and organics [Re: captain.koons]
    #382409 - 03/12/10 09:34 AM (14 years, 10 days ago)

I make a very rich soil mix.  Its got greensand, guano, perlite, manure, compost, FF Peace of Mind 5-5-5, mycorhyizzae, pelletized dolomitic lime (for slower release), kelp meal, blood meal, bulb food, soft rock phosphate, and Happy Frog (I'm not looking at my recipe right now, but I think that's it).

Because it is 100% organic, I get 0 salt buildup, and b/c it has such a LOW percentage of peat by volume (whatever is in the Happy Frog only), the pH of the soil doesn't become too acidic when I recycle my soil.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

#382801 - 03/12/10 09:46 PM (14 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

81renaissance said:
I literally use 0 nutrients in my soil. I build my soil at the beginning, give it a week or two to cook and reach equilibrium with the microlife, and then the plants go in.  They get R/O water, and the occasional bacterial or fungal tea to keep the microherd numbers high, and other than that I watch the plants grow.
I do have supplies on hand to battle any micro-nute deficiencies, but I only need those when I'm experimenting with my soil mix and I screw something up.

So no, I don't flush, or you could say that the whole grow is one big flush :grin:

Quote:

81renaissance said:
I make a very rich soil mix.  Its got greensand, guano, perlite, manure, compost, FF Peace of Mind 5-5-5, mycorhyizzae, pelletized dolomitic lime (for slower release), kelp meal, blood meal, bulb food, soft rock phosphate, and Happy Frog (I'm not looking at my recipe right now, but I think that's it).

Because it is 100% organic, I get 0 salt buildup, and b/c it has such a LOW percentage of peat by volume (whatever is in the Happy Frog only), the pH of the soil doesn't become too acidic when I recycle my soil.

:smile:  Beautiful. I wish I was one of your weed plants.

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

Re: Flushing and organics [Re: Buddy Guy]
    #383446 - 03/14/10 11:13 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

Yeah 81 that sounds great man... I'd love to pick your brain on some of that stuff.

Got any teks/logs/write-ups on some of that fine organic gardening going on in your neck of the woods?  Organic sounds extremely rewarding and forgiving once you're all dialed in....

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Flushing and organics [Re: DudeTron]
    #383457 - 03/14/10 11:39 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

I love it.

My wife is actually getting tired of having all of the soil ammendments floating around though, so she wants me to try a nutrient line rather than building my own soil.
I think I'm going to try Humboldt Nutrients organics and just use my homemade compost and perlite as a base :shrug:

I thought about going hydro (there is a post around here somewhere) but I just love growing in soil!

Anyway, I'd be happy to answer any questions you guys might have, and then sometime this summer I'll do a side by side of Humboldt Nutes (once I've done a round or two to get it dialed in) and my personal soil mix, and we'll see which performs better.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

OfflinePsuper
حشيش حشّاشين
 User Gallery

Loc: Left Coast
    #384203 - 03/15/10 06:34 PM (14 years, 7 days ago)

81Renaissance, I look forward to hearing your reviews of the Humboldt Nutrients line.  I am very interested in their products.  Iam using Foxfarm line right now, and i might add Bushmaster (from Humboldt Nutrients) into the schedule.  May even purchase the line next go around instead of Foxfarm; haven't decided. ~P~

EDIT: Bushmaster is actually from "Humboldt's Own Nutrients" line, not what i stated above. oops.

--------------------
Shroomery.org

Edited by Psuper (03/16/10 04:49 PM)

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Flushing and organics [Re: Psuper]
    #384369 - 03/16/10 12:23 AM (14 years, 7 days ago)

Bushmaster isn't from the Humboldt Nutrients line it is from Humboldt's Own Nutrients which is a different company.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #384387 - 03/16/10 01:41 AM (14 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

81renaissance said:
I love it.

My wife is actually getting tired of having all of the soil ammendments floating around though, so she wants me to try a nutrient line rather than building my own soil.
I think I'm going to try Humboldt Nutrients organics and just use my homemade compost and perlite as a base :shrug:

I thought about going hydro (there is a post around here somewhere) but I just love growing in soil!

Anyway, I'd be happy to answer any questions you guys might have, and then sometime this summer I'll do a side by side of Humboldt Nutes (once I've done a round or two to get it dialed in) and my personal soil mix, and we'll see which performs better.

Tell your wife it's her or the soil.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

#384543 - 03/16/10 09:20 AM (14 years, 6 days ago)

Hecks yeah, 81. Those Humboldt Nutes were not very old around the time I quit growing. I read about them in "Grow" magazine which was just begining at the time and was out of Humboldt County and on the internet and quickly became interested and wanted to try them. I was using a premium brand from Canada at the time and wanted to bring my money back to the US. No offense Canada. This is just where I live. If I lived in Canada. I would be keeping my Canadian dollars there.

This thread is chill.:super:

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Flushing and organics [Re: Buddy Guy]
    #384550 - 03/16/10 09:34 AM (14 years, 6 days ago)

It seems like there's a lot of interest in these, some people I've met IRL swear by them, so I'm looking forward to getting them going.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate