Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | Next >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) **Now w/ CO2 supp. via chem. reaction** [Re: Triptonic]
    #387804 - 03/21/10 02:42 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

No need to be hostile this isn't the dome after all.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) **Now w/ CO2 supp. via chem. reaction** [Re: captain.koons]
    #387985 - 03/21/10 08:29 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

trip...jesus christ, c'mon

koons, you should be a mod =]

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed)*chem. reaction on hold* [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #388052 - 03/21/10 11:25 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

*** Plant Status: Extreme Drooping! (Oh no!) ***

Today's Date:      March 21, 2010: Sunday
Seed was planted on:  Febuary 5
Date of Flowering:    March 20, 2010.
Day 46 (Day 2 of Flowering)

^As you can see, it was pretty bad. My guess is that the every-other day water is not enough. Looks like the girl is a lot thirstier these days....

But, I after I watered her, she got a lot better.

At 3:50pm, about 1 hour later....

^Amazing what a little water can do to a dying plant. I wonder if all this excessive and exaggerated drooping/perking cycles means I need to transplant...anyone know the best time to transplant? The signs?

I just about a support account (Your the best Growery!), so once it gets activated, I will be uploading photos on how I changed over my lighting system to "Flower Mode".

Also, I put the CO2 via chemical Reaction on hold because there is *way* too much waste I'm collecting. I might have to switch to dry ice, I just hope it doesn't evaporate before I get home!

: : : :  : : : :: : : : :: : : : :: : : :: : : :: : : : :: : : :: : : ::: : : :: : : : :: : : : : :: : : :: : : : :: : : :

And the Flowering Nutrients: Just bought a bottle of Big Bloom Fox Farms(r) nutrients. Man, $20 a bottle! Kinda makes me think I might be way in the hole after this grow is done, like buying a bag would have just been easier....but this hobby is pretty fun (especially the progress of her and the building for her), so I guess it'll be worth it. And being able to smoke the dying leaves off her is pretty cool. :thumbup:

Anyway, I haven't used the "Big Bloom" yet because I am afraid that switching between nutrient lines might hurt her. Are you supposed to slowly get her off the old vegging one, or is it straight to the flowering stuff? I'm also frighten of using it because of the pH balance might get messed up, and if its off, I have no way of adjusting it (except towards basic with my vinegar).

Also, I have no idea what concentration I should for the little plant, so I don't burn her, while giving her just enough to flower.

I guess I gotta do some research on how to flower, because I thought it was as easy as changing some bulbs and the timer to "12-hours on", but I was wrong....

Well, she's doing better now in the dark. She's perked up again. I was afraid I might have lost her. Whew! :handwipingsweat:

Drooping scares me!
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Edited by TrueHerbCrystal (03/31/10 08:57 PM)

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed)*chem. reaction on hold* [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #388071 - 03/22/10 12:17 AM (14 years, 23 hours ago)

Just a question, why are you trying to supplement with Co2?

Also if your plants are needing water that often it might be time for another transplant. Although it could be the clay.

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed)*chem. reaction on hold* [Re: Triptonic]
    #388075 - 03/22/10 12:33 AM (14 years, 22 hours ago)

Well, I actually stopped supplementing with CO2 after March 20.

The reason why I did it in the first place was because it was a "last minute" attempt to increase growth. All this I had to cut my vegging time-line short because of my time-constraints. If I had more time, (like a month), I likely never would of used it.

To show how CO2 concentration in the air affects uptake (and indirectly, total growth), here is a chart I found on the Net showing how different plants react to CO2 levels.

I'm not sure if it actually did anything, but it sure seems like it when I look back my log, but it really could be anything.

And for the transplant suggestion: so the fact that my plant uptakes water at a fast, 1-day rate means I got to transplant to a larger pot? Sounds like good advice to me, I'll buy a bigger pot on Monday.

~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

#388496 - 03/22/10 09:27 PM (14 years, 2 hours ago)

Quote:

DudeTron said:
That's gonna be a nice plant man... I think we'll all be impressed.

Also good call on the PH up and down... That Tiger Bloom is extremely acidic and will definitely need some adjustment.

Are you thinking about your pot-up before flowering?  Gonna stick with the same medium?
A bigger pot will also help out with moisture content and the drooping/perking.

Sorry, I had to...  I figured it kinda got lost in the side-chatter...

But I was also wondering; you got the Big Bloom right?  I'm no expert but I'm not sure if that'll be a very appropriate stand-alone flowering nute...
Also I wouldn't worry about your timeline much... your plant is looking perfect for flowering.  I predict it gets a foot taller and gives you at least 1/2 oz.

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed)*chem. reaction on hold* [Re: DudeTron]
    #388502 - 03/22/10 09:36 PM (14 years, 1 hour ago)

Yeah, thanks for addressing the Big Bloom DudeTron, I just found out in another thread that its a micro-nutrient supplement, not a all-inclusive flowering nutrient. I bought it because it was $5 dollars cheaper (only had a $20), and I thought I need it *right* when I started flowering.

I haven't used the Big Bloom yet, so I will be going to the store on Tuesday to exchange it for the Tiger Bloom. I may use both, but this is getting too expensive for me already, so I may only use the Big Bloom.

Perfect for flowering? Oh, you don't know how good that sounds to hear....thank you so much DudeTron. I have more confidence in my girl. So you predict at least a 1/2 oz?! Holy Jesus! :eek: That's a lot more than I was expecting! I'm pretty excited now: Finally some brownies! Yea-Ya....:vaped:

Its gunna get good...

~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

OfflineUnion420
Horticulturist

Loc: New World
    #389013 - 03/23/10 07:59 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Wow!, havent been here in a few and saw that pic of the bent over girl, now dont get me wrong thats a position I love my girl in but not my green girls lol. Yea thats deff underwatering, that pot you get should help out a bit since you wont have to water as much.

You asked what are some signs of a plant being rootbound, well the frequent watering problem is one, another is slow growth and leaves that progressivly get smaller as you go up the plant (that is when the leaves in question are fully mature) The easiest is to take a look at the rootball, if its matted up pretty good then that is a good obvious sign.

Glad to see its looking better TruHerb get that transplant going tho. :thumbup:

--------------------
Everything is fictional, I dont even exist.

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) ** Currently Flowering ** [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #389065 - 03/23/10 09:10 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

You were right too Union, she needed a transplant pretty bad....

*** Plant Status: Just Transplanted! :eek: And she's looking good thus far.... ***

>-> And I got my supporter account going! I can upload as many photos as I want! WEEEEeeeeee! :awedance:

Well, after much advice from other threads in the Mari Culti. Forum, I decided that she need a transplant, and boy was it time!

Let me explain....

Here's her on Monday (March 22) afternoon

^They look like 2 different plants when you turn the pot! Its Weird! But I digress....

And here's the pot I actually got (looking down):

^I couldn't find a square one, so I went with the classic round. The dimensions are 11 inches and about 10.5" wide. I think its plenty big, don't ya think?
- Also, I drilled all those little holes: the large ones on the outer rim came stock with the pot. I figured since it likes well-drained soil, I might as well modify it for the better.

And here's her out of her pot (careful mang!)

^What happened to the soil? Its all root now. Its like the roots ate the soil...I knew she was hungry, but God DamN! I accidentally got some dirt on the underside of the leaves from flipping over the pot, I hope that doesn't hurt her in anyway. She's pretty much my girlfriend now (since I don't have a real one).

Check out the root mess on the bottom (its pretty intense)

So I carefully tried to center her in the large plastic pot filled with the original Fox Farm(r) Ocean Forest(r) I used since the beginning.

Surprisingly, it was still moist in the black garbage bag I safely kept it in. because of this, I didn't water her, I just put here in the pot and let her be.
- I also noticed she has a lot of 90 degree bends on the tips of the leaves. What's that about?

Top Shot!

^Lighter leaves on the top then older bottom ones. I hope that's normal. Also, its not quite *exactly* centered in the pot, but its good enough for government work. :wink:

After the transplant, I carefully put soil over the little girl in her new, dirty home. Then, I adjusted the lights for the new height (which was strangely only 3 inches higher) and placed her into her new home. Mazz-L-toff! :cheers:

And here's the current, as of a few minutes ago....

*** Plant Status: Survived the Transfer! ***

Today's Date: March 23, 2010
Seed was planted on: Febuary 5
Date of Flowering: March 20, 2010 :flowerchild:
Day 48 (Day 3 of Flowering)

^ I think she likes it!! :datass: Also, I made some PF jars last night in honor of the :mushroom2:Shroomery:mushroom2:, and the humidity shot up from 40% to 65%! Damn! Now I know for the future: if its dry, boil up some PF jars and get that rH up and at 'em! Damn it feels good when Mary cross-paths with Magic Mushrooms.......:awesome:

All in all, its all good!

One more thing, I cut off some dying, gradually-yellowing leaves from the lower part (which are STILL yellowing, like some stupid clockwork bullcrap :grrr:), and the leaves felt like it had a glazing over it, like a donut. Pretty weird. then I smoked it, and I swear it was the dankiest shakes I ever smoked! I can't imagine the budz! Whooaazz!

Come On Flower Power! :sun:
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Edited by TrueHerbCrystal (03/31/10 08:59 PM)

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) ** Currently Flowering ** [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #389174 - 03/24/10 03:26 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Right on man!  You're both gonna love the transplant...

So how much taller does your cab get?  That plant is gonna get tall man.... I'd suggest when you replace your bulbs for flower you leave a 6500 or two in there to try to minimize the stretch.  Also this is the time to really see if you can engineer a few extra lumens into the cab, especially with CFLs.

Bad ass on the PF cakes too... This your first go with shrooms?  You doing a shotgun terrarium?

Also about steamin' up the house;  Higher RH is healthier for you and conducts heat better... Can lower your heating bill and sleep better just running a humidifier... Or cookin mad grains bro!

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #389259 - 03/24/10 12:14 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

holy shit look at those roots! :rofl:

She's gonna be THRILLED with her new root space :thumbup:

get ready for a growth explosion

--------------------

Edited by Harry_Ba11sach (03/24/10 12:15 PM)

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) ** Currently Flowering ** [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #389298 - 03/24/10 01:18 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I know right!?

I would have broken that solid mass up and spread it out into the new medium.  Refer to my grow journal for more info on that specifically.

I've honestly never seen roots get so solid and stacked like that personally.  Wow!  She's got good genetics that's for sure.  I'm sure you can still go back and do this, it will really thank you and be worth it if you do.

What you wanna do is hold the pot on between both your hands, so your palms are facing each other, and you want to roll the bottom half of the root ball back and forth in your hands until that root mass begins to loosen up without tearing anything.  Once it loosens up, you can stick your finger up into the middle/center of the bottom mass, and pull your finger toward the outer edge so that you are hooking the roots and pulling them out of the cylinder mold they hold shape to.  Be gentle, but also don't worry if you tear roots, it's normal practice.  I think of it like this, hold the rootball upright in normal position with one hand, and with the other hand use one finger and make a hook shape and plunge up into the middle of the ball and pull the hook out, making sure to grab the ring of roots, and try to either rip it out or get it to separate so the you can spread out the roots along the surface of the new soil.  It's kind of hard to describe but you want to pull it outward in at least 4 different directions so that you can sort of mimic how the plant would naturally branch out with roots into the medium.  You also want to rough up the outside surface that was contacting the pot, "fraying" the exposed roots if you will.  I know you will worry because you will tear roots doing this process, but the plant will not even notice, and will take off like no other after you do it this way instead of just plopping the whole ball in the new soil.

Please listen to this advice, I really know my soil growing and I know for a fact that if you just leave it as is, come harvest time if you pull the root ball out of the soil, it will barely penetrate the new soil and the entire mass of roots will still be exactly like it looks in that picture, although they will be larger and even more smashed together.  I've studied this problem for years, examining many many root balls and methods.  If you want it to branch and take over the new soil so that the entire pot will be full of roots like that, and not just a super dense core or heart of roots if you will.  I'm not saying you wont be fine if you do it your way, but if you try this method I guarantee you will be satisfied with the end results.  If you just step up in size, without cutting or modifying the root ball each time, it will not utilize even half of the medium, but if you loosen up the root ball and re-orient some main portions of the root mass, it will give it a chance to burrow into nearly all the new space you have provided, and the vegetative growth you experience above ground will definitely be noticeable... :wink:

Hell I'll even find the pictures for you...

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) ** Currently Flowering ** [Re: Inverted]
    #389303 - 03/24/10 01:21 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

^^^ very good advice right there ^^^

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) ** Currently Flowering ** [Re: Inverted]
    #389392 - 03/24/10 04:43 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

That is good advice Inverted, but might be too late since I already placed it in larger pot....

But if it really does make a huge difference in the end, do you suggest I pull my plant up again from the soil and loosen up the roots like you described? Since its only been in there for just 4 days, it wouldn't harm it to yank it out of the soil right?

So when "ripping apart" the roots, where should I NOT touch? Is there any part of the root mass that is sensitive to damage? Or is the whole thing good to touch and mess around with?

I'll check out your journal now to see how you did it: Do you know which page it is, by chance?

To DudeTron: No, its about my first PF cake grow, more like my 20th or something (happy shroom birthday to me).....I would of upgraded to casing or those large tubs, but I failed too many times with it, so I went back to the tried-and-true method of those little white cakes. Then again, my last grow had 3 stalled PF cakes (out of 3), so I'm slowly losing my confidence in shroom growing: at least my MJ growing is going good so far! :awesome: I'm psyched about that. :smile2:

Talk about Square Root!
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#389429 - 03/24/10 05:49 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah I think you might want to pull it out.  It won't even tap into new soil yet especially with that heavy dense knot of roots you have, it's not very good for searching out moisture because most of the roots are stuck in one spot.

You can be pretty hands-on with the rootball, I don't really worry about anything I touch, WASH YOUR HANDS, and it should be common sense WHERE you need to rip it up.  I mean roots are all supposed to be separate, there should not be 5-20+ roots all twisted together like a cable.  Try to pull most of it apart gently and spread everything outward then bury it with new soil.  Once you have everything filled in, and NOT PACKED, give it a small soaking (just water), not a lot, because it wont be able to suck all the moisture out of that new pot remember because now you have to start watering like it's a seedling again until it has conquered enough of the new medium to be able to handle full soakings.  I'd start off with about a bottle of water worth (16oz) per watering.

--------------------

OfflineUnion420
Horticulturist

Loc: New World
    #389627 - 03/24/10 09:54 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Wow, what a rootball! that explains alot huh lol. Inverted is right, when transplanting you wanna remove a portion of the ball, preferably the center since less roots reside there, its a form of root pruning, then gently widen out the outer ring of the ball like making a bowl on a upsideown pottery weel or better yet make it look like the end of a trumpet, smaller at the top and frayed outward at the bottom, then create sort of a mound in the pot to place it on like a puzzle peice and fill er up from there. And water, dont forget to water.

--------------------
Everything is fictional, I dont even exist.

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) ** Currently Flowering ** [Re: Union420]
    #389889 - 03/25/10 12:56 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Well said!  :thumbup:

+5 :yesnod:

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#390241 - 03/26/10 04:51 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Well, after much self-debating and stressful contemplation, I finally decided to take Inverted's and Union420's advice to dig up my girl,
and Pull apart the root ball. I was very apprehensive at first, but since Inverted really does know his soil grows, and since I've seen what
he's grown, I know I can trust him with this advice. I just hope I did it right....

So here she is after I pulled her out (one last time) and pulled apart *just the bottom* of the root ball into these jellyfish tentacle-like loose roots. I left about 2 1/2 inches of the roots right at the stem intact, in case I did something very wrong. Here's the roots after I nail-bitingly rip them apart. Like so....

So, I took a lot of dirt out of the pot to get the roots as far down as I could. Here's the roots in the pot with about 25% of the soil removed....

I quickly put the soil I took out back onto the roots, patted down on the soil lightly and then took this photo....

>>>> Flowering Lighting Upgrade <<<<<

Well, after a lot of testing with my new Lumens/pH/moisture multi-meter, the results of the light test showed that I needed more light. In some areas, especially the sides, the lighting was only about 1,000 lumenes. So I added this ridiculously massive 68 watts CFL (2,700K) bulb (on right, like you needed to be told)....

^Fitting it was tricky: its almost too big for my light wagon! But, after some unscrewing of some wood planks, I got it to fit.

I also moved 1 of my 42 watt CFL's down to the vertical side to replace the 23 watt that was there. My total Flower lighting power is 194 watts, 110 watts on top, 84 watts on the vertical sides (see photo below for new lighting set-up). I am also using one of my clamp lamps, since I was too lazy to make a custom mylar reflector. At least its getting used now...

Here's her currently, as of 3:00am this morning....

*** Plant Status: Root-rip transplant complete. Drooping on top leaves. Bottom leaves droopy ***

Today's Date: March 26, 2010 (3:00am)
Seed was planted on: Febuary 5
Day 51

^For some reason, the top leaves are drooping, while the bottom are not. This has me worried, because I just made the root transplant. I REALLY hope I didn't harm her in anyway, especially what happened back in Day 17 with the excessive yellowing and drooping....I don't wanna go thru that again.

Going on Vacation: On Friday Afternoon, I will be leaving my place and going to Central Oregon for vacation (its beautiful over there). I will be coming back on Sunday afternoon, which means I will be gone for a total of 3 days. Because of this kinda long duration and the fact that my plant sucks up water at a astounding rate with its roots, I decided to prep the gravity drip system to use while I'm on vacation.

Here's how I positioned it near my plant. Its about 1.5 inches from the stem, and the drip rate is pretty slow, like 1 drip every 5 seconds. The white Perlite is there to help with evaporation of excess water.

^I just hope the dripping doesn't over-water it. But I think I would rather it have water than none for a couple days.....

I will be turning on the drip system *right* before I leave my place, no sooner.

That's about it fro now. I will be back for another journal update on Sunday, hopefully a good one.

See ya in a couple Growery
& you too Goldilocks....
:bye:
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

#390242 - 03/26/10 04:59 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I just have to say this while you're still on and haven't left yet...

But honestly man I think if you gave her a really good soak, as long as it doesn't get really hot, she still wont need to be watered when you get back... Her roots wont have even grown into the pot yet ya know?

Also have fun on vacation bro... Oregon is really nice... And nice giant bulb!

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) ** Currently Flowering ** [Re: DudeTron]
    #390244 - 03/26/10 05:10 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, haven't left yet....it will be in the afternoon on Friday when I leave.

So one good soaking before I leave is all I need for 3 days? You sure it won't dry out too much on the last day?

I guess you're right about the roots: they need to grow into the pot until they need water.

And thanks for the happy wishes, I can't wait to visit Central Oregon...its so nice over there. Its just the drive over there that's a little stressful (snow might be on the road). I hope I don't have to chain up.

Well, I guess I'll just soak it once and not use the drip system. I really wanted to use it, oh well. Better than root rot. If it was longer than 3 days, then I could use it right?

Thanks for the advice DudeTron,

~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | Next >

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale