Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCrusty Ass Bastard
Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Scrog Idea -> Scrog Box
    #379626 - 03/07/10 07:22 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

These are the shelves I'm dealing with. I'll be using one of these as the "floor" with the plants sitting on top of it. Since they are 2.5" tall and vented I should be able to put them directly on the floor of my tent without the roots getting chilly. Plastic legs snap into the corners and above will sit this:

Everything inside the red lines will be cut out, leaving two 15.5" x 19.5" halves and a 1" wide crossbar. I'll do 1-2 plants per half so 2-4 total. The black lines are approximate and represent either trellis netting (which should fasten to the corner poles easily) or a metal grid, I haven't decided what would be best yet. I plan on having about 4 sets of extra legs, all different lengths, for when the net/grid needs to be raised and lowered depending on the strain/plant involved.

What do you guys think? What would you add/tweak?

Edited by Crusty Ass Bastard (03/13/10 06:54 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: Scrog Idea [Re: Crusty Ass Bastard]
    #379638 - 03/07/10 07:42 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

That pretty much sounds perfect.  I have thought up something like that before, but decided to make my own since I have the tools and stuff lying around but that looks good!  I would just maybe use some decent guaged coated wire to make the screen but that's just me.  2x2" holes are probably optimum in my experience.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Scrog Idea [Re: Inverted]
    #379647 - 03/07/10 07:55 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Inverted said:
That pretty much sounds perfect.  I have thought up something like that before, but decided to make my own since I have the tools and stuff lying around but that looks good!  I would just maybe use some decent guaged coated wire to make the screen but that's just me.  2x2" holes are probably optimum in my experience.

Thanks buddy! Since the dimensions are slightly rectangular I'll try to do 1.75" x 2.25" or whatever to get as close to 2" as possible.

Do you think I could just staple-gun the wire down to the side of the frame? I know drilling holes in the side of the frame (which is partially hollow) and weaving the wire across neatly would be best, but I like wearing the minimum amount of flare if you know what I mean.

--------------------
|

Skunk Train (Most Recent) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed)
Cinnibis Rolls | Indoor Peppers

"The secret of improved plant breeding, apart from scientific knowledge, is love." -Luther Burbank

Edited by Crusty Ass Bastard (03/07/10 07:56 PM)

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

Loc: Unknown
    #379819 - 03/08/10 05:44 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

I love Screen of Green. Sounds very thought out. On your root temperature concerns. If you put a thermometer in your grow room down at root level. This will give you the capacity to know what your root's temperatures are running at all times. Thus, being able to adjust them accordingly. I would go with trellis netting. Forget metal anything in your grow room. This will cause oxidation(rust) and can bleed off harmful stuff onto the plants flesh.. I would drill holes and use screws. Screws will fasten more securely and last longer.

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

Re: Scrog Idea [Re: Buddy Guy]
    #381745 - 03/11/10 08:06 AM (14 years, 20 days ago)

It looks to me like you could just cut every other row of slats in that shelf.  Look how well your overlay lines up.

Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Scrog Idea [Re: DudeTron]
    #381773 - 03/11/10 09:37 AM (14 years, 20 days ago)

The thing is those slats are about 2.5" tall, so they would be blocking diagonal light and casting shadows. It wouldn't be a problem once everything was through the screen but it would slow down growth until then. If you guys look at the first picture again, I'm now actually thinking about leaving the two "vertical" cross bars and removing the middle one. That would leave me with 3 long strips of scrog space roughly 32" x 6.5" as opposed to two 15.5" x 19.5" sections.

I would lose a few inches of screen space this way, but it would be much more stable, which is crucial if I'm going to mount lights from another shelf above it. I'm going to mess with this today and see what happens.

--------------------
|

Skunk Train (Most Recent) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed)

"The secret of improved plant breeding, apart from scientific knowledge, is love." -Luther Burbank

Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #383103 - 03/13/10 06:54 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Mazel tov!

As you can see I ditched the crossbars and went with a more traditional screen. Some random notes:

I made 1" deep cuts on both sides of the frame and wrapped some gorilla tape around, then one side of each screen in the hole. I did this because as the other sides were pulled down and zip tied the middle cuts created excellent spring-like tension.

You'll notice the screen is perfectly molded to the outside edges of the frame too, basically locking the screen in place. This was dumb luck.

The screens are from those $20 indoor greenhouses sold everywhere.

Those two strips of black at the top center are from where I cut off the crossbars, the insides were re-inforced with harder black plastic.

If anyone wants to try their luck with this let me know and I'll make a tek.

--------------------
|

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #383950 - 03/15/10 10:07 AM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Post the tek on the main site, and then post a link to it here in this thread.

We could use some more user content on the main site! :thumbup:

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom