Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

Powerless hydro operation in mountains...ok?
    #379185 - 03/06/10 05:23 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

I started to first grow marijuana guerrilla style in the mountains.  The best results I've had is from planting in the ground, in 5g pots I had difficulties have a watering schedule.

I want to continue growing guerrilla in the mountains, but also incorporate hydroponics.  This would be beneficial because...

-the soil is horrible (mostly clay)

-it would be portable

-less shit to carry( no carrying 8L of water, just small vial of nutes and a meter)

The only downside is having to hike there everyday.  I don't mind hiking/running everyday, probably get fuckin fit.

Here is my system idea...

5g bucket full of sponge rock or cynder
(holes in the bottom of bucket, with the plant coming out of the pouring hole already in the bucket lid)

5g bucket full of nute.

The plants are going to be aranged with a DIY fashioned camoflauge net draped over the buckets.  Everyday, before noon, I will hike up to manual "dunk" the plant buckets into the res bucket.  Probably leave'm in there 15m each, have some lunch or something..

WILL THIS WORK?

Edited by DJ_avocado (03/07/10 01:52 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGrow
Stranger

Re: Powerless hydro operation in mountains...ok? [Re: DJ_avocado]
    #379494 - 03/07/10 01:48 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Man you would have to hike 5 times in a twenty four hour schedule. 2 times at night 3 times a day. You should try drain to waste with a bucket full of perlite and coco coir. You could get away with doing that less often.

--------------------
All information in my posts is for medical purposes only.

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

Re: Powerless hydro operation in mountains...ok? [Re: Grow]
    #379530 - 03/07/10 03:13 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Oh....well I was under the impression that this type of feeing would work.  shit.

OfflineGrow
Stranger

#380286 - 03/08/10 05:46 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Well if you grew organic hydro like this article http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/1534.html
you could just add water every other day. It would definately work. Just have to get creative with a portable design. I'm going to do this now

--------------------
All information in my posts is for medical purposes only.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #380296 - 03/08/10 05:57 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

so wait, you're going to put a 5 gallon bucket into another 5 gallon bucket? Your nutes are just going to spill out the first dunk and go all over the ground. You can't place something inside another something of equal volume, it won't work.

If you had a 10-15 gallon bucket with about 7 gallons of nutes you could dunk the 5 gallon one but that's still iffy.

your best bet would be a hempy with about 33% vermiculite in it to retain moisture. you could get away with only watering once every 2-3 days, but just know that once the plants are full grown they're going to need about 1/2 gallon per day, EACH. That's still a lot of shit to hike up the hill on a daily basis.

--------------------

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

Re: Powerless hydro operation in mountains...ok? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #380310 - 03/08/10 06:43 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

I looked at that article Grow.  I didn't see anything about powerless operation, besides growing in soil.

OK, I admit that was pretty dumb of me to think that one could dunk a 5g into a 5g...maybe into a bigger res...

I REALLY want to do this, but it is seeming less and less possible.  I looked into those hempy buckets, pretty cool shit.  Although if the plants are going to drink 0.5g a day, I'd probably have to be watering twice a day.

I would need either a huge res, or LOTS of water.

:strokebeard:

Ok, new idea.  But I have NO idea what I could use to power air stones for deep water culture.  Car battery and voltage converter?!

That way it might work if I can stop rainwater from entering the res...

My main goal is having an easier way to grow hydros guerrilla style than in soil.  Mostly to get rid of lugging loads of water for plants in soil. Initially I believed it to be eaiser, but I am no expert.  I love sneaking around and growing plants in the wilderness, and I understand that hydro setups usually require a lot of initial work.  But after you build the shit, it is usually smooth sailing.  I am looking for a way, down for ideas, willing to invest some, work a hella load, but DEFINITELY NOT by lugging solar panels or buying 6 miles of extension cord..

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #380312 - 03/08/10 06:47 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

DJ_avocado said:
Although if the plants are going to drink 0.5g a day, I'd probably have to be watering twice a day.

Lol no dude did you read what I wrote? you can give them a half gallon once a day. and if you missed a day they would survive.

--------------------

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

#380452 - 03/08/10 08:36 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Ok, I misunderstood a bit there...

I thought you meant that when fully grown, they required 1/2 gal of water on a daily basis.  But younger ones could be neglected, cause they have less water needs...

This is what I have in mind now...

Numerous hempy buckets and a large rubbermaid tub resevoir closeby.  Also closeby, a water catcher made from 5g bucket.  Hempy buckets would be perfect because they are so light!  :hamsterdance:

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #380556 - 03/08/10 10:48 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

yep! you'd be way better off having some sort of way to capture local rainfall and then you would simply have to carry a bottle of nutrients up the hill instead of 20 gallons of pre-mixed nutrients.

--------------------

Invisibleboomsaway
 User Gallery

#402324 - 04/15/10 10:24 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

four words...

straight coco, hand watered.

cover the buckets so rain cant get in and feed em every 5-6 days (more often as they get bigger tho)

i like that rain catch idea harry, wish i could do that here haha.

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

Re: Powerless hydro operation in mountains...ok? [Re: boomsaway]
    #402894 - 04/16/10 03:31 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

straight coco, eh...

that seems to be my best bet for watering as least as possible. I haven't scoped out any spots yet, but the plants stay tini still.  Kinda wanted to be hiking a little more than once a week... might go with a perlite/coco mix then cover the buckets with lids and a camo net.:thumbup:

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #402975 - 04/16/10 08:38 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

DJ_avocado said:
...in 5g pots I had difficulties have a watering schedule.

Care to explain this to me a little better. If you were having trouble watering 5gal. buckets of soil, how will hydro be any easier?

With 5gal. of soil you should only have to water about 3 times a week when it's dry. With hydro you would have to be there at least once a day.

I guess I don't understand where you're coming from. If you couldn't keep up with a watering schedule for soil, how will this make the schedule any less hectic? I'm asking because I plan on doing quite a few 5gals. myself this season.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

Re: Powerless hydro operation in mountains...ok? [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #403197 - 04/17/10 01:22 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I thought of getting away with visiting the hempy buckets every few days, but now with this coco idea...:strokebeard:

The last 6 plants I did were in pots.  Maybe it was the spot they were in, maybe the soil wasn't porous enough, maybe it was just the weather.  I'm guessing it was a combination of those, but they did horrible compared to my babies in the ground.  I had this weird orange fungus grow in the soil and lost them to root rot.

I didn't really explain my issues with 5g soil pots, but it was a combination of things, especially funky weather, that had me stressing but water and drainage..I remember I even brought a power drill with me, to put holes in the pots, I thought it would help dry out the soil quicker...still didn't work.

Invisibleboomsaway
 User Gallery

#403214 - 04/17/10 02:17 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

yea dont go more than 60% coco/40% perlite because as they get bigger they drink more faster.

itll get to about 2-3 days at the end depending if you want drain holes or not.
that can get a bit hairy tho, but it works if you know wut ur doing.

also, hydrate your coco bricks with a cal/mag solution to "prime" it so to speak.

personally, ive had nothing but problems with soil grows, hydro seems cleaner ya know

coco itself is organic but it seems to be resistant to molds and such.

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Powerless hydro operation in mountains...ok? [Re: boomsaway]
    #403272 - 04/17/10 06:42 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I'll definitely watch out for that this season. The plan is to drill some holes in the bottom and punch out the center of the bottom. Then put a few chunky rocks in the bottom to keep the dirt from falling out the hole.

FarmerJoe said he knew people from around here that had good success with 5gal buckets so I'm gonna give it a run. I'm going to put many in the ground too for good measure.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck