Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMagicHombre
Stranger
 User Gallery

Hydro vs Aero - Comments, Opinions, Experiences?
    #371238 - 02/22/10 10:09 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I've recently been thinking about trying a different grow method and I've been wondering which is better Hydroponics or Aeroponics?
Any Thoughts or Experiences?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hydro vs Aero - Comments, Opinions, Experiences? [Re: MagicHombre]
    #371247 - 02/22/10 10:20 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

you need to narrow down your question a little bit to really get any sort of helpful responses. there are far too many variables involved with both methods to just pick one as a "best"

They both have their own pros and cons... what are you looking for specifically?

--------------------

OfflineMagicHombre
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Hydro vs Aero - Comments, Opinions, Experiences? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #371252 - 02/22/10 10:28 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Better yields I suppose... Really I just want to get a feel for other people's experiences and then make a decision based on that...

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #371256 - 02/22/10 10:38 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

DWC or Ebb and Flow are the 2 that I prefer to work with. 

Simple designs and great yields with either if you dial it in appropriately.  Easy to use as well.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hydro vs Aero - Comments, Opinions, Experiences? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #371298 - 02/23/10 12:46 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

True aeroponics has superior yields to your run of the mill hydroponics.

Ebb and flow is my personal choice it's simple yet delivers the goods. You also don't need to worry about reservoir temps with ebb and flow.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hydro vs Aero - Comments, Opinions, Experiences? [Re: captain.koons]
    #371979 - 02/23/10 10:06 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

True aeroponics has superior yields to your run of the mill hydroponics

You wanna make a bet on that one?

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hydro vs Aero - Comments, Opinions, Experiences? [Re: Magash]
    #372458 - 02/24/10 01:10 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

NASA doesn't lie.(much)

I don't grow in Aeroponics but my school has a true aeroponics setup for strawberries and tomatoes in our agriculture greenhouse next to a NFT and the difference is scary.

I don't work on the Aeroponics but I'm in the greenhouse nextdoor and talk to the greenhouse operators next door.

They use 1/3 the nutrient concentration in the Aeroponics and are approaching nutrient burn because the delivery to the roots is key. I don't know if you ever looked into true aeroponics but they control particle size of the droplets so they can be absorbed optimally. They control the misting times with the non misting times so that optimal grown is achieved.

Even from a theoretical point of view. You can break down why Aeroponics is superior not having used the system. More air for roots. More rapid delivery of nutrients = essential.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineMagicHombre
Stranger
 User Gallery

#372565 - 02/24/10 03:15 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I'm sold... Aeroponics it is!

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #372582 - 02/24/10 03:48 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Take note.

I'm talking about true aeroponics using high pressured pumps that make an incredible amount of noise. They're also not cheap the cheapest ones on the market suitable for true aeroponics are either made by Xtreme or Iwaki and cost a few hundred bucks for the 50psi models. 80-100 psi is recommended. Also keeping the droplet size under 50microns requires special sprayers that range in price from 8-20 dollars each which will be good for 2 plants. When using true aeroponics you'll notice changes in your plants very rapidly if your pH is off or if something is wrong with your reservoir such as nutrient concentration or temperature. I'd suggest checking pH often and using a very large reservoir so that pH swings aren't as big an issue. This is because of how rapidly the nutrients are delivered to your plants. This is much like how people explain soil is more forgiving than hydroponics for the same reasons. You're also fucked if you have a power outage and can't find a way to power your pumps as air is your medium which doesn't hold water like hydrorocks or coco or wahtever does so your roots will dry out rapidly.

I personally don't know much about technical details when setting up true Aeroponics. I try to pick the brains of the greenhouse teks at school but I've got work to do unfortunately and don't get enough time to look into such things. I had interest in building a true Aeroponics system but it's not very practical and there's far too much hassle and possible complications for my liking. I personally use EBB and FLOW systems because they are more forgiving than deep water culture type systems. One thing I love about them is you only feed something like 3 times a day so the roots aren't sitting in the reservoir and thus aren't subject to reservoir temperatures like deep water culture. The cost for a large operation is silly too I mean if you flower 100 plants you're looking at a grand or two for just the sprayers, the pumps vary from a few hundred to a couple thousand too...

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Offlinebumpn
Stranger

#377590 - 03/03/10 02:58 AM (14 years, 29 days ago)

home made aro set up maybe give ya some ideas you could probably make a tub in tub system with a few mods

http://www.jasons-indoor-guide-to-organic-and-hydroponics-gardening.com/homemade-aeroponics-system-2.html

altho im probably gonna build a BUBBLEPONICS setup

http://www.rollitup.org/dwc-bubbleponics/234626-rosemans-diy-bubbleponics-tutorial.html

Edited by bumpn (03/03/10 03:09 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds