Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #374881 - 02/27/10 08:43 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Well, she's suffering AGAIN...lack of nutrients maybe?

*** Young Plant Status: Up-Curling on leave tips, browning on leaf tips and some leaf taco'ing ***
Today's Date: Feburary 27, 2010
Seed was planted on: Febuary 5
Day 22

^As you can see, Goldilocks is suffering, Again, for the thrid time. I'm pretty sure she needs food, because I haven't been using the food/water combo as she recovered from whatever happened last time.

But right after I took these photos, I made a *new* mixture using filtered water, 2 FULL droppers of the Schlutz plant food, and 1 gallon of water. After mixing, I filled up my brand-new spray bottle (Which I needed so bad a few days ago).

Hopefully she gets better and goes back to growing...I may have to get a better liquid ferilizer, I think this one is just not doing the job for my girl.

Why Goldi! Why!
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #374894 - 02/27/10 09:01 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

yep, I'd say give her another feeding. She's not as green as last time but I'd say she looks better than before. the leaves aren't as curled under or wrinkled so I'd say she's merely hungry right now. Be careful with spraying solutions on the leaves though, if it's too concentrated it can hurt her quite badly.

oo, and I think you should remove the damaged leaves at the very bottom. they're doing nothing but sucking energy from her right now as she tries to heal them and removing them will encourage those smaller branch-shoots to grow a tad more.

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #374897 - 02/27/10 09:08 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Roger.

Don't spray leaves with food-solution. Cut dead leaves on lower part.

I'm on my way Baby....
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#374901 - 02/27/10 09:12 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Oh god, I love cutting those leaves.....

That Guava smell..Oooh!..I just wanna grow a huge 10 foot tree, cut all the leaves, throw it on my bed, and just roll in it. Then I can finally say I slept with Mary Jane....

Some day, I'm going to have to do that.

Step #1: Grow a green forest
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Edited by TrueHerbCrystal (02/27/10 09:12 PM)

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#374955 - 02/27/10 11:08 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

haha love the enthusiasm!

Also harry, that taco shaped leaf, and the wrinkled margins, is that not a sign of heat stress?

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: pha3r0]
    #374956 - 02/27/10 11:11 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Normally I would say yes, but we shouldn't be seeing that at only 79 degrees.....

I can't help but feel there's another undiagnosed problem we're all missing....

--------------------

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #374963 - 02/27/10 11:22 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

okay i was thinking about the lights distance. I have noticed on mine that there can be several degrees difference in the 10 inches between the bulb and the dirt. I attribute some of that to the small boxes and low ventilation I have used though.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
    #374971 - 02/27/10 11:36 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Those leaves look way to dark to me.

OfflineInbred_gimp
Herb Connesuir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Beyond the wall of sleep
Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: Triptonic]
    #374998 - 02/28/10 02:13 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Maybe check your ph just coz there's no reason not to

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: Inbred_gimp]
    #375008 - 02/28/10 05:48 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Good point Gimp, but how do I check the pH of soil? Do I take a sample and rub it on my tongue or something since basic things taste soapy and acidic things taste like lemons....

Or do I have to go to my local chemistry store and buy those things they used for pools, with the different colored tubes....

As for the possibility of heat stress....I just bought some rubber straps, and I'm going to hang the lights from those 2 wooden supports. That way the bulbs will be in-line with the fan, and hopefully provide better heat-exshauting. I will lose some light efficiency, but its better than heat stress.

Besides, 107 watts of CFL's is likely too much for such a small plant anyway...

Till morning....

~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#375028 - 02/28/10 08:22 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

For checking the soil's PH they have probes that work all right and are pretty cheap. The accuracy is not amazing but it puts you in the ballpark. I just take a few readings from around the pot and average them.

I don't know if there are other ways of testing but I imagine so, I am just not aware of them as usual.

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: Triptonic]
    #375031 - 02/28/10 08:35 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
I can't help but feel there's another undiagnosed problem we're all missing....

That's what I'm thinking.  I've almost NEVER seen the symptoms that your girl is showing.  I'm pretty dumbfounded.

Quote:

Triptonic said:
Those leaves look way to dark to me.

Dark green is fine, some strains are much darker than others.  If the leaves were curling then I'd be concerned about N toxicity, but she's just not happy w/ something that's why they are sagging like that.  It is probably the picture also making it seem darker than it is.

I'm dying to figure this out, because these things are pretty uncommon, and I feel bad that it's happening on your first grow.  Don't be put off man, something's just awry.  It's not that fertilizer, I use the same shit, and have used it exclusively before and it was fine.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: Inverted]
    #375756 - 02/28/10 11:28 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Interesting Inverted....so what's happening to my plant is uncommon?

If so, I was thinking it could be just the strain? Maybe its unstable or not quite fully "indoors" yet? It said it grow either in or out, so I don't know what's going on.....

*** Young Plant: Finally Noticing Growth Again! ***

Today's Date: Feburary 28, 2010
Seed was planted on: Febuary 5
Day 23

^The top canopy is really expanding...looks really cool, kinda like palms on a tiny palm tree or something....

^^Those bottom leaves are still doing not so good. I do see a pattern thou: the top leaves are always the best, then as you go down the stem toward the roots, the leaf tips get worst. That's what happened to the last leafs I had to cut. I wonder what that represents, diesase maybe? Nutrients being "divided" amoung the the newer leaves, and not the older ones?

^^^The last photo is after I watered it: I watered the soil with 2 dropper per gallon solution and then watered the top of the soil with just plain water. Lastly, I watered the top leaves with plain water, in an attempt to help them out.

Question: Does watering the leaves with plain, filtered water benefit the plant?

- I Figured because it happens in nature (rainfall), that it would be good for it, but since its bred for indoor growing, I think maybe not. Anyone know?

Its beyond me. Maybe someone here knows what it could be....I just hope you're right about "this type of thing is rare" comment Inverted....makes me feel like a better "father" of my little Goldilocks....

I bought some supplies, and I will be hanging the lights underneath the wood frame to aid in bulb cooling and hopefully put less stress on the plant, because 79F constant is a little high. Thats near desert levels....

Much Improvement for Goldi
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
    #375758 - 02/28/10 11:33 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

From what I have observed once you damage leaves sometimes they never heal. Like if you burn your plants the leaves will be scarred but the new growth will still look good if you have the problems fixed.

I do mist my plants though. All of them, even my veggies. Once a day. Remember you don't want to drench you want to mist :smile: I feel that in a hot environment plants would love that nice spritz of pH neutral H2O

Offlinedutc2006
Grow or Die

Folding@home Statistics
Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: Dephect]
    #375852 - 03/01/10 03:53 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I'm sorry, I haven't read the entire thread, just about the last 10 posts or so, but what kind of soil mix are you using?  I see some thick chunks up on top there and that stuff looks like it could really hold onto some water.  It almost looks like thick chunks of coir husks.  I also see you have some perlite in there as well, but I doubt it is going to do much to help the drainage when those tree bark looking pieces are going to retain water regardless.  I think your plant is over-watered and over-fed at this point.  Judging by those pics, I bet the pot is an inch or two deeper than the deepest roots, and if you are watering until there is runoff, the roots should still be working on getting some of that deepest water out.  The leaves on that plant look perfectly indicative of over-watering.  I wouldn't feed again until it is obviously necessary, which could be 2 weeks, and I wouldn't water again until absolutely sure your soil is totally dry, which may be 2-5 days.  Don't just let the top couple of inches dry out, but the entire pot.  If I am right, the plant will probably be wilted until you water again, so you will have to pay strict attention to the water content in the pot.  If you have ever heard it is time to water when the first couple of inches of soil are dry, forget it.  So if you can't tell for certain by the weight of the pot, look at the drainage holes in the bottom and make sure the soil you see is bone dry.  If you keep this up in the future, it will be obvious when your plant needs water because it will just start to wilt, from the bottom of the plant and work its way upwards.  Within an hour of watering it after letting it sufficiently dry and wilt, it will perk right back up. That is the driving force behind getting roots to grow, seeking out water deeper in the ground.  And there is no deficiency that is going to make your plant wilt like that, only a watering issue of maybe a pH issue, but your leaves are not twisted and gnarled as a pH issue would exhibit.

Also, try not to get the leaves so wet at this stage.  Foliar feeding isn't going to encourage root growth, which is what you want with that small of a plant in that large of a pot. 

And get rid of that aluminum foil!  It is ineffective at reflecting good light for plants, and also creates "hot spots" which can damage foliage.

Edited by dutc2006 (03/01/10 03:53 AM)

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: dutc2006]
    #375854 - 03/01/10 03:59 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

That plant looks way better though.. I think you're out of the woods with her.  Just remember you're probably not going to feed her again for awhile unless she really is a super hungry girl.

Also doesn't misting pull N out of plants?

OfflineInbred_gimp
Herb Connesuir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Beyond the wall of sleep
Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: DudeTron]
    #375866 - 03/01/10 05:44 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

You can buy these colour ph test things they are just some sort of liquid ( forgot name of it) and barium sulphate and they give u a colour which u can tell it ph from when u mix them with the soil sample,  you should b able to pick one up for 10$ or less, not vital at this stage but you might need it in the later stages of the plants life, checking ph regularly is in noway a bad thing

--------------------

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#375899 - 03/01/10 08:32 AM (14 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

TrueHerbCrystal said:

^^Those bottom leaves are still doing not so good. I do see a pattern thou: the top leaves are always the best, then as you go down the stem toward the roots, the leaf tips get worst. That's what happened to the last leafs I had to cut. I wonder what that represents, diesase maybe? Nutrients being "divided" amoung the the newer leaves, and not the older ones?

Usually when a symptom starts at the bottom and progresses up it is a deficiency. Though being so small and that you have already given it some shultz I would be careful giving it more at least right away, it's on the up trend just let it roll.
Quote:

Question: Does watering the leaves with plain, filtered water benefit the plant?

Plants can pull water and nutrients through there leaves and misting can help with low RH problems but it's benefits as far as I see are situational and like Dutc2006 said is not necessary right now.
Quote:

I bought some supplies, and I will be hanging the lights underneath the wood frame to aid in bulb cooling and hopefully put less stress on the plant, because 79F constant is a little high. Thats near desert levels....

79 is not to bad really as long as it's 79 on the leaves not 79 in the room away from the lights. There can be several degrees difference near your lights even with good ventilation. I really don't think heat is your problem looking back on the log though.

I think what Inverted meant by this being uncommon is usually some one comes in with a dead on diagnosis and the problem goes away, no one has figured it out just yet and likely it's going to take time to correct itself. In the meantime just make sure she has everything she needs and not to much.

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
    #376012 - 03/01/10 11:35 AM (14 years, 30 days ago)

Yeah the only reason I mist my plants is because I am in a very dry state. When I blow my nose a little blood comes out its so dry, me and my girl have been talking about getting a humidifier to bring up the RH of the whole apartment, the only thing I am worried about is mold.

Your girl looks healthy though! I know you want to give her lots of lovin but you should resist temptation. Water her when the pot is almost completely dry and just wait and watch her grow, that's all you can really do now :smile: The hardest part of the game is waiting.

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: Dephect]
    #376022 - 03/01/10 11:41 AM (14 years, 30 days ago)

you can say that again my projected chop date is march 18th and I am fucking ichin. I even fucking went scissor shopping already. i can tell it's gonna take a lot of control to not go snip one of those lower nugs when I run out.

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies