Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineTomCollins

Re: somebody who's good with computers!!! [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #354955 - 01/29/10 02:01 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
Dios mio!

:confused:

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Re: somebody who's good with computers!!! [Re: TomCollins]
    #354976 - 01/29/10 03:26 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Ok, well you have a point about apple being on the scene before pc, But apple fell flat on its face soon as trs-80 and commador hit the market. No one but a select few had an apple machine. I can remember my first computer was in grade school and it was an apple 2. But where did they go after that? Apple has spent so much time and money on making a "perfect" machine and developing software for this "perfect" machine that they have not been able to produce an affordable machine for the home user up till the early to mid 90's. Microsoft has been able to do this by letting 3rd parties write software and to develop hardware for the windows platform. Which is also why pc has such compatibility issues with some hardware/software.

Maybe todays market allows for some 3rd party software, but any software released for mac by a third party has to be approved by apple! This has been the case and still is the case. There is a pretty good history of apple on Wikipedia case your still in disbelief.

Computers not my forte? Haha, i have a part time business repairing pc's. I hope it's my forte! And have been using computers for almost 20 years now. Apple 2 was the firstin later part of grade school, then middle school i got a TRS80 and then to a commador64 and then finally to a Hewlett Packard9( or PackardBell)  80mhz machine, and upgrades ever since!

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Re: somebody who's good with computers!!! [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #355036 - 01/29/10 06:14 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

what year were you born SpaceMonkey?

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

#355037 - 01/29/10 06:15 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

#355040 - 01/29/10 06:17 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

that was really quick and I would have guessed thereabouts. 

Quote:

Spency said:
Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
Dios mio!

:confused:

my reaction was parallel to yours.  didn't mean to direct that to you.  im still learning this place.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

#355043 - 01/29/10 06:25 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Nah, it's all good!

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
    #355287 - 01/30/10 12:02 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

So, about the Mac vs. Windows analogy with the bikes.....

So, I've never owned a Mac, but I've used it before. Is it true that its not customizable like Windows is? In which ways. I know the iPhone is like that: theres lots of app add-ons, but you can't change the interface into the way you like. Which is very user-friendly but not fun for us PC modders (of the OS, not the hardware).

But whats good about Macs is that theres less viruses/trojans, etc. because the platform is less common than PC's. I like that, especailly because I get some nasty viruses sometimes and I'm too poor to buy a good anti-virus program.

Anyone here owned both Mac and PC, like at the same time? What's the biggest differences and similarities between the the platforms?

I personally like the amount of programs that run on PC. Does Mac's have a lot programs you can use?

To FurrowedBrow:

I love that phot with the cars. So true. Windows are complex and "ugly", but you van "touch" all the parts (settings). And the Mac is clean and sexy, but its really simple (little customization). Awesome photo Phind!

Fill me in MACers.....

Time for Tech Talk
~ LogicaL Chaos ~

Edited by TrueHerbCrystal (01/30/10 12:08 AM)

OfflineI_AM_SWIM
Someone Who Isn't McKenna

Re: somebody who's good with computers!!! [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #355300 - 01/30/10 02:06 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
I need some help! last night my computer was perfectly fine, but this morning I wake up and it's completely fucked!

all the color rendering is fucked up and I have no idea why. I tried a system restore and it said it failed because some program interfered with it. I can barely even read this box I'm typing it because it's neon pink and all my letters are shadowed in white. I seriously do not understand what's happening.

this computer is less than a month old so I'm freaking out, did I get a faulty graphics card or is this a virus of some sort?

are u sure it's not your monitor that is causing the problems?

that screen shot you posted looks normal to me :shrug:

ah, should have read thru more, seems like u got a laptop. :feelsbadman:

--------------------
:tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna:

Edited by I_AM_SWIM (01/30/10 02:11 AM)

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
Re: somebody who's good with computers!!! [Re: I_AM_SWIM]
    #355309 - 01/30/10 02:45 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I_AM_SWIM said:
ah, should have read thru more, seems like u got a laptop. :feelsbadman:

Actually, you should of read even further back: Harry said the computer "magically" fixed itself (weird right? Harry, I think you be trippin'!).
I personal think this magic was created by all the people in this thread who tried to fix the problem with their minds, and on a metaphysical plane of existance, "magically" fixed the color problem.

The End. Problem "Fixed" Now we are talking about the Pros/Con and the similarities/differences of Macs and PC's. Got an opinion? Share it.....

Ahh...Self-correcting Computers
~ TrueHerbCrystaL ~

OfflineTomCollins

#355317 - 01/30/10 04:02 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:
Ok, well you have a point about apple being on the scene before pc, But apple fell flat on its face soon as trs-80 and commador hit the market. No one but a select few had an apple machine. I can remember my first computer was in grade school and it was an apple 2. But where did they go after that? Apple has spent so much time and money on making a "perfect" machine and developing software for this "perfect" machine that they have not been able to produce an affordable machine for the home user up till the early to mid 90's. Microsoft has been able to do this by letting 3rd parties write software and to develop hardware for the windows platform. Which is also why pc has such compatibility issues with some hardware/software.

Ok, from what I've read on the subject apple didn't really fall flat on it's face, it was simply in third place to the trs-80 and commadore until it came out with Visicalc. Also, what are you trying to say with all this? How does this make Windows better?

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:Maybe todays market allows for some 3rd party software, but any software released for mac by a third party has to be approved by apple! This has been the case and still is the case.

I'm not sure that's true at all SpaceMonkey. I'm fairly certain Apple wouldn't approve of iPhone unlocking software for example. I can download and install that. :shrug:

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:There is a pretty good history of apple on Wikipedia case your still in disbelief.

Could you be more specific? I couldn't find anything on apple approving all 3rd-party software and what not.

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:Computers not my forte? Haha, i have a part time business repairing pc's. I hope it's my forte! And have been using computers for almost 20 years now. Apple 2 was the firstin later part of grade school, then middle school i got a TRS80 and then to a commador64 and then finally to a Hewlett Packard9( or PackardBell)  80mhz machine, and upgrades ever since!

:undecided:

--------------------
andyistic said:
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

#355422 - 01/30/10 12:36 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Well first off Spency, I think it is  personal preference to what side of the fence you like to be. I am not necessarily saying that one is better then the other. I will say though that no matter what PC will always be more customizable, have more options and evolve faster. Also, Windows is just the operating system for PC.

Spency, If you really want to know the whole story about apple and why they are what they are, research it on the net. And Unix was not part of apple in the beginning! Unix was developed by AT&T as a programmers tools. Unix is it's own operating system! Linux and BSD were also developed using unix system. Not till OS X did apple incorporate a BSD varient of the unix system into their operating system. And 9 times out of 10 it will be run on PC. :shrug:

So i am not sure what you are after by debating me on this. Read the articles and then come back here and debate this with me! Apple was my research paper back in highschool, and i may not remember it all but a quick look even on wikipedia was a breath of fresh air.

The third party software you speak of(the iphone unlocker) is a hackers tool! I believe i said this earlier, as apple catches on people will start targeting the devices and viruses and other hack tools will develop. That's inevitable! Your unlocker is not an official piece of software, sorry.

Somewhere at the bottom of the wiki article i linked to up there ,in the criticisms section it gives brief couple sentences regarding 3rd party software. And that is only a small portion dealing with iphones app approval.

Next........

--------------------

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
    #355442 - 01/30/10 01:22 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

You must be talking aboout the absolute top of the line, loaded with everything, mac.  The one I plan on buying is 1200.

For 1200 bucks I could make a fucking amazing PC.

Also; I have never had a problem with a PC in my life, and I have been using PC's for over 13 years.

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Re: somebody who's good with computers!!! [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #355444 - 01/30/10 01:24 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:

Am I the only one that those two pictures look completely normal to?

Since the pictures look 100% normal to me I would say it is your monitor.

Quote:

because it's neon pink and all my letters are shadowed in white

Magnet damage is usually purplish pink in a lot of places.

--------------------

Edited by Thebooedocksaint (01/30/10 01:28 PM)

OfflineTomCollins

#355451 - 01/30/10 01:37 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:
Well first off Spency, I think it is  personal preference to what side of the fence you like to be. I am not necessarily saying that one is better then the other. I will say though that no matter what PC will always be more customizable, have more options and evolve faster. Also, Windows is just the operating system for PC.

I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean by PC? By PC do you mean the standalone hardware. Well then of course, but we're talking about windows here. Which sucks. Besides, the evolving and varied hardware is a really narrow field in terms of the computer market. Unless your buying cutting edge hardware - the benefits of buying a factory computer over custom building your own are marginal - even in cost. With that said, this is almost inapplicable with laptops.

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said: And Unix was not part of apple in the beginning! Unix was developed by AT&T as a programmers tools. Unix is it's own operating system! Linux and BSD were also developed using unix system. Not till OS X did apple incorporate a BSD varient of the unix system into their operating system. And 9 times out of 10 it will be run on PC. :shrug:

Why are you telling me this? I never said UNIX was part of apple. I was saying earlier was that Mac OSX is a more stable and safer platform because it. This isn't what we're talking about.

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:So i am not sure what you are after by debating me on this. Read the articles and then come back here and debate this with me! Apple was my research paper back in highschool, and i may not remember it all but a quick look even on wikipedia was a breath of fresh air.

Well, your here telling people that there is no 3rd party software for macs. That's a complete lie. It doesn't matter what you wrote about back in high school, that doesn't make you a credible source.

Also, you addressed me remember? It's not like I'm here trying to just shit on you, I'm responding to you.

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:
The third party software you speak of(the iphone unlocker) is a hackers tool! I believe i said this earlier, as apple catches on people will start targeting the devices and viruses and other hack tools will develop. That's inevitable! Your unlocker is not an official piece of software, sorry.

It doesn't matter. It's still 3rd party software. Anyone can write an application for Mac OS X and put it up on the web - thats what 3rd party software is. It's software developed for an operating system, by an entity other than the creator of the operating system.

Is Firefox "hacker software?"

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:Somewhere at the bottom of the wiki article i linked to up there ,in the criticisms section it gives brief couple sentences regarding 3rd party software. And that is only a small portion dealing with iphones app approval.
Next........

I read that and I even checked out the full article. There is nothing about apple approving and controlling software for Mac OS X. Perhaps if you quoted something for me, I'm sure my opinion would change - however as of right now, based on my own experience as well as a lack of evidence for what you claim, I have to disagree with you.

--------------------
andyistic said:

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#355461 - 01/30/10 01:46 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I just think all computer systems are more or less as good as any other. Because they pretty much are.

The biggest reason for some of my friends to choose mac was the lack of viruses written for mac. But the reason there are not as many viruses is because there are less people that use mac. I could write a virus just as easy for mac as I could a PC.

(But the last paragraph is a huge tangent from the topic.)

--------------------

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

#355474 - 01/30/10 02:02 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Spency said:

Wow man, I'm not sure if computers are really your forte, but I believe that not only has the Mac OS line been around for longer than Windows, but it stems from the UNIX family which predates DOS. Lol, so Windows has definitely not been around for longer. UNIX systems are simply safer in general, however it is Apples frequent security updates that make Mac OSX such a safe OS to use.

This is you? It was your first return response.  This is why i am telling you this!

And i believe we were talking about mac VS. PC. Correct?  Not windows vs. osx.

See you want me to do all the foot work here and furnish you with a quote and your just going to disagree until i prove my point. See i don't care what you believe to be true. It is what it is! Any of the older members who grew up in the time of pc and mac know what i am talking about. If anything you need to start furnishing some sources for this info you seem to know is right!

--------------------

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Re: somebody who's good with computers!!! [Re: Thebooedocksaint]
    #355478 - 01/30/10 02:04 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Thebooedocksaint said:
I just think all computer systems are more or less as good as any other. Because they pretty much are.

The biggest reason for some of my friends to choose mac was the lack of viruses written for mac. But the reason there are not as many viruses is because there are less people that use mac. I could write a virus just as easy for mac as I could a PC.

Agreed! :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineTomCollins

#355617 - 01/30/10 06:31 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:
It is what it is! Any of the older members who grew up in the time of pc and mac know what i am talking about. If anything you need to start furnishing some sources for this info you seem to know is right!

Spacemonkey, the reason I disagree with you is because I'm on a mac right now. I have third party applications installed. Lots of them.

Quote:

Thebooedocksaint said:

Actually mac os x is just very well secured on it's own. Frequent security updates make it immune to most all viruses out there for mac. Mac OS X has been around for such a while that it is just simply now rock solid. After a while, writing new and dynamic viruses becomes more and more difficult as eventually every hole in the system is filled in.

It's not because there are less users. Maybe in the U.S. there are less users but I see a fair amount of mac users around here. :shrug:

--------------------
andyistic said:

Edited by TomCollins (01/30/10 06:43 PM)

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#355958 - 01/31/10 09:32 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Actually mac os x is just very well secured on it's own. Frequent security updates make it immune to most all viruses out there for mac. Mac OS X has been around for such a while that it is just simply now rock solid. After a while, writing new and dynamic viruses becomes more and more difficult as eventually every hole in the system is filled in.

Just plain wrong.

Windows has frequent security updates.

And the phrase "most all viruses" is poorly used because new ones are wrote all the time, of course more of them would have already been created and protected against than the ones currently around.

You don't like what I'm saying prove me wrong.

Macs have horrible interface IMO anyways.

I love my PC, and always will.

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Re: somebody who's good with computers!!! [Re: Thebooedocksaint]
    #357212 - 02/03/10 01:14 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

well i bought an imac today.  Here's the specs on it:

• PROCESSOR 065-8366 3.06GHZ INTEL CORE 2 DUO
• MEMORY 065-8369 4GB 1066MHZ DDR3 SDRAM - 2X2GB
• HARD DRIVE 065-8372 500GB SERIAL ATA DRIVE
• GRAPHICS 065-8923 NVIDIA GEFORCE 9400M
• OPTICAL DRIVE 065-8716 8X DOUBLE-LAYER SUPERDRIVE
• MOUSE 065-8380 APPLE MAGIC MOUSE
• APPLE KEYBOARD & USER'S GUIDE 065-8390 KYBD(NUM) & USER'S GUIDE
• COUNTRY KIT 065-8433 COUNTRY KIT,IMAC 21.5-INCH

Now when that gets here I will just need to get a Photoshop program and I will be in business.  Also want to get into some 3d modeling and what not.  fuuuuck ya!

:dancingbacon:

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies