Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

Re: Building a computational device [Re: NobodyImportant]
    #579180 - 08/18/11 11:36 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

NobodyImportant said:
such a sick hobby

Goddamn nice man

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jawjuh.
Re: Building a computational device [Re: Cage]
    #579191 - 08/18/11 12:26 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Cage said:
Wow.. That comissioned one is insane.. :eek:

How much did it cost? What was your cut?

Cost $2700    Cut was originally $500 but I ended up putting all that back into the project cause I had so much fun doing it :happyweed:

and buying some buds

I would be more than happy to build one equally as good for any of you guys if you are in the SE

I just would never put something like that in the mail, unless we were trying to pull some insurance fraud on the post office or something :P

--------------------
:bonghit:
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

OfflineCage
Melancholy Mindfuck.

#579216 - 08/18/11 02:58 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

That's a really awesome hobby/occupation to have, how did you get into it? I'd love to learn at least some pretty basic knowledge for working with electronics and computers.

Invisibledrawde
    #579274 - 08/18/11 07:17 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Just start with a search on youtube there is so much info out there.

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Re: Building a computational device [Re: drawde]
    #579288 - 08/18/11 08:13 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Its just something I got into, I built all those when I was ~ 15 -17

Dont do it too much anymore, I just use my laptop, desktops are getting wayyy to overpriced if u wanna have something good

Its not like a career or anything, Its really easy to do. just popping parts together and planning out something cool

--------------------
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

OfflineCage
Melancholy Mindfuck.

#579299 - 08/18/11 08:59 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

NobodyImportant said:
desktops are getting wayyy to overpriced if u wanna have something good

Fuck... And here I thought the only high performance computer that would be decently affordable would have to be a desktop..

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

#579300 - 08/18/11 09:03 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Well they arent that bad i guess, im just used to having a computer for internet and music, i cant afford performance anymore

--------------------

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#579370 - 08/19/11 10:22 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, once you learn how easy it is to put together a great computer it kind of makes you sick how much people shell out to companies like dell, or worse alienware for their shit.  If I ever personally met someone with an alienware pc I would have to laugh in their face.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Re: Building a computational device [Re: THEBats]
    #579375 - 08/19/11 10:45 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I used to be against brand name PCs but I feel like the bigger companies such as HP and Dell and whoever are still a pretty good deal for the average consumer, they buy their shit in such quantity they probably get it for a good percentage cheaper than any other person or company on earth

alienware though, and those other "high end gaming" brands are a huge rip off, I met this super rich asshole a while back who had one of these he paid 7k for

http://www.sagernotebook.com/

and although it was pretty cool, I had a computer I build for under 500 and still whooped his ass in counter strike running at just about the same frame rate and graphic quality

plus those high end laptops get shit battery life and they are too heavy and bulky to even be slightly economical

--------------------

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#579376 - 08/19/11 10:47 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

That's one of the reasons I'm so against apple, the markup is just fucking ridiculous.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

OfflineCage
Melancholy Mindfuck.

Re: Building a computational device [Re: THEBats]
    #579379 - 08/19/11 10:56 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah.. Apple's markup is LEGENDARY.. Alienware is ridiculous too..

I'm gonna be looking to buy/put together a high performance laptop some time soon. I was looking at HP but I'm sure I could do much better than that with affordability probably, and apparently their ENVY laptops have retarded touchpads that force you to tap the touchpad for left and right click instead of having actual buttons.. No way.

All I've been able to find is just different brand names offering to customize their models.

I just looked at that link. Sager has some great deals from what I can tell. When I do get around to finally buying a decent computer I want to buy a laptop that I won't have to upgrade any time soon, and if I need to, I'll be able to. I just want to pretty much pay for it once and be satisfied with what I get, rather than cut corners and regret it later.

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
    #579381 - 08/19/11 11:16 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Does anyone have that chart of their markup? I think it would come in handy.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

#579383 - 08/19/11 11:17 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Apple is pretty bad for mark ups but they do have economical computers

I rock a macbook simply because im sick and tired of windows being a shit operating system

I would run linux but thats too much work for what I use my computer for

I paid a grand for my laptop in early 08, its got a 2ghz 45nm Core 2 Duo, 2Gb DDR3, 160gb HDD, and a decent nvidia graphics card

Reason I bought it though, needing a laptop cause im always out and about. I have had and worked on lots of laptops and 99% of them are shit quality and fall apart after a year or two, my macbook is solid aluminum, I have abused the fuck out of this computer, spilled an entire bottle of gatorade on the keyboard, left it in cars that were ungodly hot, dropped 5+ feet onto concrete while turned on multiple times,  and it still looks and works like its brand new

--------------------

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#579387 - 08/19/11 11:37 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

windows 7 isn't too bad.  linux would be the way to go, or ubuntu but I use my pc for gaming.  Also a reason to avoid mac for me.  But I also am a desktop person, I only have a netbook for internet and other basic needs when I'm out, and it gets the job done for what I need of it.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

Edited by THEBats (08/19/11 11:38 AM)

OfflineCage
Melancholy Mindfuck.

#579393 - 08/19/11 12:48 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Would it be a lot more difficult to put together a laptop piece by piece than it would a desktop? When I have the money I want to put like $1,500 (maybe a little more if it's worth it), to build pretty much a super-laptop. Pretty much I'd like to build a gaming/multimedia powerhouse that won't fall apart on me and can be potentially upgraded if necessary. I'm fully willing to sacrifice it being ultra-light and having a long battery life. I'll be using it for the usual stuff, plus gaming and hooking it up to a TV through HDMI.

Edit: Fuck.. Just did some research and apparently laptop motherboards are fitted for a small range of hardware and there's not many options.

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#579481 - 08/19/11 11:34 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

yeah, laptops are extremely limited as far as customization is concerned, unless you don't care about burning a hole in your pocket.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

Invisibledrawde
    #579673 - 08/20/11 05:35 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Cage said:
Pretty much I'd like to build a gaming/multimedia powerhouse that won't fall apart on me and can be potentially upgraded if necessary. I'm fully willing to sacrifice it being ultra-light and having a long battery life. I'll be using it for the usual stuff, plus gaming and hooking it up to a TV through HDMI.

The question is why would you want to do all of that with a laptop?

The more research I do the more I drool at your PC builds N.I.

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

OfflineCage
Melancholy Mindfuck.

Re: Building a computational device [Re: drawde]
    #579687 - 08/20/11 06:16 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I guess I'll just make it a desktop :shrug:

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#579835 - 08/21/11 11:55 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

you will get a whole lot more for your money that way. and you won't have to worry about a 30 min battery life.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

Invisibledrawde
    #579836 - 08/21/11 11:59 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Alright I have a question, I understand that two video cards offer an advantage for gaming as you link the two with sli or crossfire and divide the screen so each one renders part. But, if you can have dual monitors off of one card with that capability, can you do both a dual monitor setup and the dually rendered gaming? Or would you have to go into bios each time you want to switch between the two?

--------------------
King Koopa said:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]