Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineramshackle
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

I think I killed them, I think they're dead I think they DIED they're DEAD!!
    #332140 - 12/16/09 04:05 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Y'all;

I received my seed finally :smile: After a month I sent an email saying they didn't arrive, and the joker said he forgot to post them! (Must've been stoned) but then sent them and they arrived within a few days..

Of the 10, I only germinated 3 seeds of which 2 sprouted.

They stretched pretty tall (about 4 inches) literally over a 24 hour period. I think that was due to the fact they were in a room with a skylight only. The stalks are very thin. Toothpick thin.

I built a simple cabinet for them when I had time and they were doing ok for about a week, but their growth seemed to stall completely for a couple of days. I thought it was due to over watering as I've read about here, since I was spraying them daily, so I left them without water for 24 hours.

We had a stinking hot day and I came home to find them severely wilted. I immediately gave them a good soaking.

My question is; is there anything else I should do and what are the chances they will survive? Should I just cut my losses and germinate some more?

Thanks a bunch.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I think I killed them, I think they're dead I think they DIED they're DEAD!! [Re: ramshackle]
    #332157 - 12/16/09 05:58 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

what medium did you germinate in?
What size container?
You need to water the medium, not spray the plant.
And you need to prevent stretching by having a good light source.

Don't germinate any more seeds right now, b/c with the knowledge base you have, you'll just kill them again.
Do some research, ask some more questions, get the right materials, and THEN try again.
As always, we're here to help, but I strongly recommend looking at the grow guides here, and elsewhere online, and then post about the parts you might not understand.

The single biggest cause of failure (and you can see it MANY times within the past year on this site alone) is the mentality of "FIRE, ready, aim"; you gotta know your stuff before you pop seeds.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisibleSalviaNshrooms9090
Buddhist Monk
Male

Loc: Peru
Re: I think I killed them, I think they're dead I think they DIED they're DEAD!! [Re: ramshackle]
    #332276 - 12/16/09 01:01 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

give them proper lighting and they will be fine and keep the light close get CFLS if you cant get hps....

Offlineramshackle
Stranger

Re: I think I killed them, I think they're dead I think they DIED they're DEAD!! [Re: SalviaNshrooms9090]
    #332617 - 12/17/09 03:16 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry, I realise I charged in here sounding like a complete dumbass - must stop posting when wifey is screaming for me to come to bed :heart:

I did a few months reading around here and elsewhere before I even looked at getting seeds. But it's still all new to me, and I work long hours between being able to check on the buggers, so an error in judgement can mean death. Forgive. :tongue2:

I used the paper towel method to germinate, then planted in approx 4" diameter pots filled with a rich heavily composted soil from my very own compost bin. They took off for a few days, but as I said, I reckon they stretched too far because they weren't getting enough light in that skylit room.

I was actually thoroughly wetting the soil, not just spraying the plant. I am just using a spray bottle to deliver.

My setup is a 6ft cabinet. It has a 100W equivalent CFL for each seedling with DIY reflectors, almost touching the tips. There is a small desk fan blowing over them and I have a 120mm computer fan for exhaust (upgrading to 4 80mm fans)

The temperature is the biggest issue. I live where it's hot and it's been near 40 degrees celcius every day (over 100 farenheit). Inside the cabinet it's probably in excess of that. I understand this is way above ideal, but they seemed not to mind until they dried out. After I completely soaked the soil such that the drip trays underneath were completely full of water, they were totally dry again overnight.

As I said, they weren't growing while I was watering daily so I thought I'd let them go for two days dry. Big mistake, this is when they totally wilted.

So obviously humidity is the biggest issue. What I've done is gotten some transparent plastic domes to cover each seedling, and given them a good watering. I'm hoping the domes mean the humidity will be high for them and they may recover. I also considered leaving a big tray full of fresh water in there to up the ambient humidity and perhaps planting in large pots that can soak up tons of water and not evaporate so fast? Suggestions?! :confused:

If they die, would the advice be to wait until winter to try again so I don't have to battle/compensate for the ridiculous weather? I'm really anxious to start growing, and if anybody thinks I have half a chance just keeping the seedling protected with domes until they're bigger plants able to hold their water better then I'd like to try again soon...

The thing that gives me the shits is that we have other plants going apeshit in the garden, but live in too close proximity to neighbours to attempt an outdoor grow :mad2:

Apologies for long windedness and appreciate any advice.

Offlineramshackle
Stranger

#336730 - 12/26/09 05:17 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

They died.

I took my own advice and the new seedlings are looking healthy so far.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck