Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

Experienced with dirt only...?s for Hydros.
    #319437 - 11/21/09 03:38 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Recently I have been seriously thinking of taking my cannabis project indoors, a hydropnic set up.  I have grown for a few years guerilla grows... anyway my questions are...

1. What are the advantages/disadvatages to growing a plant, ebb and flow method, directly in a 3 gallon bucket full of medium OR in that net pot with roots dangling inside the bucket?

2. How does this sound for a grow room?  Large size grow tent (76x76x76), four 90W LED lights, and nine 3 gallon buckets aranged 3x3, rigged up in an ebb and flow system. LED lights sound too good to be true, disadvantages?

3.  Could someone give me a range on the number of plants I could grow in that space (76x76x76cm)? I was thinking at most 16, but I don't know about the efficiency of LED lights and what to expect given a crowded grow room. 

I would appreciate any input.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejoshisstoned
strange
Male
Loc: Akron
Re: Experienced with dirt only...?s for Hydros. [Re: DJ_avocado]
    #319454 - 11/21/09 08:14 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

You can put alot of plants in a 6x6x6 foot area. in three gallon pots with one plant in each pot you could fit about 10- 20 plants given the size of each (what you had in mind for size). ive seen a dude grow in 20 oz. pop bottles and fit 140 in an area half that size so... there really is no steadfast number!

--------------------
Give me the bat wendy!

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Experienced with dirt only...?s for Hydros. [Re: joshisstoned]
    #319467 - 11/21/09 09:19 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not sure what you mean by the first question. Please rephrase it. If you mean what are the advantages to growing hydroponically, it's that your plants will grow really fast and watering is pretty much self automated.

There are three systems it seems folks around here primarily use: Ebb&flow, DWC and Aero.

I would avoid LED and CFL lighting. You can get some good grows out of it, however it is apparently incomparable to the grows conducted under HID's. Also, growing 16 plants under LEDs just doesn't seem very plausible to me with the current technology available to us. Try and get your hands on an HPS.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

Re: Experienced with dirt only...?s for Hydros. [Re: TomCollins]
    #319537 - 11/21/09 01:58 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I've come to an understanding that there are LOTS of ways to construct an ebb and flow system.  Is there any difference in < 1. filling the entire bucket with medium and growing right out of that> OR < 2. Using those net pots>.  Its seems to me that with the net pots the system would need more water to operate but less medium.  Is there any real difference?

I thought that the combined power of four 90w LEDs would equal something like 1000w from an HID. I've read a lot praising LEDs for being low energy and super effective.  How does LED really compare? Anyone use them?

OfflineTomCollins

#319647 - 11/21/09 06:36 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

DJ_avocado said:
I've come to an understanding that there are LOTS of ways to construct an ebb and flow system.  Is there any difference in < 1. filling the entire bucket with medium and growing right out of that> OR < 2. Using those net pots>.  Its seems to me that with the net pots the system would need more water to operate but less medium.  Is there any real difference?

I thought that the combined power of four 90w LEDs would equal something like 1000w from an HID. I've read a lot praising LEDs for being low energy and super effective.  How does LED really compare? Anyone use them?

Yes there is a huge difference! First of all, both methods you mentioned are not ebb and flow. Second of all, all hydroponic grow methods use a medium.

The first method you mentioned sounds kinda like a hempy bucket.

Ebb and flow I think is a stupid name for what that kind of system does. It's sometimes referred to as flood and drain, which I think is not only a better name but explanatory of what the system does. Flood and drain basically, at specific intervals, floods the pot and the medium inside. Then it drains. Pretty simple concept.

Here's my system. You can see I have the plants sitting in pots which rest in a large pipeline I call the flood chamber. Every 2.5 hours, water is pumped up and the chamber is flooded along with the pots sitting inside. They stay submerged for a good half an hour. Then the pump turns off, and the chamber drains.

The idea is to submerge the roots in nutrient solution, then drain the cups, which pulls air into the medium. The medium is typically made up of perlite, vermiculite or those clay hydro pebbles. All these mediums have extremely helpful water retention capabilities - they are also all very airy! So basically, you give the roots a wonderfully moist and well oxygenated environment!

As for the cups:
As you can see I don't use netted cups. I bought plastic planting pots, and drilled holes in them. I should have drilled much more though. The idea behind the netted cups is that the roots can just shoot out freely, with no hindrance. In other words, they're basically perfect for hydro grows. My system seems to work alright, but I think I would have had even better results had I had more holes or better yet more holes.

Why would a netted pot need less medium and more water? No logical sense in that man. :tongue: It's just a different pot. The only time you can grow without using any medium, is when you grow aeroponically.

I think Dr. Penguin used an LED setup for his grow. In any case, while a lot of people seem to be enthusiastic about the future of LED's in indoor growing. I don't think they're quite there yet. I'm pretty sure 4 90w systems are not equivalent to a 1000W HID system.

Magash would definitely know and I'm hoping he jumps in here soon with some input.

--------------------
andyistic said:
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

#319788 - 11/22/09 03:10 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Ok...in both my examples of an ebb and flow/flood and drain system, the buckets ARE being flooded and drained to whatever interval.  I'm talking about how the plant is being held inside the bucket.  Say, how you grow.  NICE SETUP! The plant is in a pot and the roots kind of grow out from that.  But what if you rig a whole bucket, full of medium, to flood and drain so there is no interior pot?  I gues what I'm trying to ask is..

Does more root space necessarily mean a bigger stronger plant?  (New to hydros)

What is the minimum size pot to grow in?  How much room do the roots really need?  I read that the larger the roots grow in a pot, they actually recieve oxygen better.

How dry should the medium get before the next flood?

OfflineTomCollins

#319814 - 11/22/09 06:43 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

So your basically asking, what if instead of using a flood chamber, you use large buckets and just flood and drain those? Yes, this works too!

This is what you're talking about. I think these systems are extremely good! However, now you enter the question of grow space. Also take into consideration this: Look at the size of my plants, and look at the cups they grow out of. How big do you need these plants to get?

As for cup size:
Well I think 500ml is the minimum you should grow in, however, I actually think you can go even smaller if the pot is setup to allow roots to grow outside of it. So you could in theory go very small, especially if it's a drip system. The roots do actually need quite a bit of space. If you use pots like mine or netted cups, and the roots are dangling out - after the drain the roots are totally exposed to air! I'm not sure how much better they can receive oxygen other than being completely exposed to air. Also keep in mind my water is very aerated, so I really don't think there is any issue with roots receiving oxygen in my system.

The medium will take a while to dry out usually. Keep in mind, it's not like soil. You don't have to wait for the medium to become bone dry.

--------------------
andyistic said:

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Loc: CANADA
    #324187 - 11/30/09 09:50 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

4 90w LEDs would distribute light to an area below very evenly, allowing you to have a brilliant canopy grow developed that would yield good quality bud. 

One of the largest points however is that they are not as effective overall when widely compared nor cost effective enough yet to make most indoor growers experiment or care yet.  There is perhaps an added safety factor in that they use far less electricity as well as do not burn uber hot bulb and uber hot ballast box.

--------------------
"I never post unless high.  Well that does explain a lot then."

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do

Current Grow Journal

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Experienced with dirt only...?s for Hydros. [Re: Azyle00]
    #327834 - 12/06/09 07:49 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

LED's blow, they are far too expensive for what you get out of them.  Secondly, for the size of area this guy is doing the amount of HID light he will use will NOT be enough to be suspicious.  And if you vent the light it really isn't that friggin hot in your grow tent.

Do yourself a favor DJ, get yourself an HID system and don't waste your time and money on LED's or CFL's.  You wont be disappointed if you invest in HID's.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

Re: Experienced with dirt only...?s for Hydros. [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #327930 - 12/07/09 12:42 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

KICK ASS, hawksapprentice!  LEDs do suck, I learned a bunch. My plans now include a 1000w MH/HPS cool tube. :grin: Yuuuuuuup. With 6 plants in 8in net pots in 3g buckets.  Jus gotta build a carbon filter...I saw two types of carbon to make a filter with, the rocks and the wrap.  Whats the diff between the two?! PRice? Longevity?  I went to Home Depot and they don't have either. :confused: Is that LES CLAYPOL as your avatar or am I jus REALLY stoned?

Invisiblejwes420
Support Legalization!
 User Gallery

Loc: NE Great Lake Region
    #328132 - 12/07/09 03:38 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Go to the pet/aquarium store for activated carbon. You want activated carbon in its granular form. Comes in milk like paper cartons. They have smaller water filter canister set-ups for fish tanks there. You can take it out of the box and check it out. There is an inside screen cylinder, and an outside screen cylinder. The carbon goes between the two screens, and the other end is an inverted cone that points towards the opening, this disperses the air after intake. You will need a dust filter to wrap around the whole cannister. Those can be found at home depot. Just make sure that your fan and filter are compatible for fpm's coming through the exhaust.

The bigger the filter you build, then less often the carbon will have to be replaced. Keep a low humidity in the exhaust as well to make it last.

Les Claypool is THE SHIT!!!

--------------------

.........."And You Will Come to Find, that WE are ALL, ONE MIND.....
.....Capable of ALL that's IMAGINED, and ALL That's CONCIEVABLE.....

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Experienced with dirt only...?s for Hydros. [Re: jwes420]
    #328377 - 12/07/09 08:47 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

jwes420 said:

Les Claypool is THE SHIT!!!

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

Re: Experienced with dirt only...?s for Hydros. [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #328679 - 12/08/09 10:09 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

and I thought I was the only one that thought PRIMUS SUCKS! Les claypol is the man...anyway I was gonna do this---> THIS.  So I'll be using granulated carbon. Assuming I'm using a 452cfm fan, how long should the filter be?  I don't know how much carbon to order. :confused:

Invisiblejwes420
Support Legalization!
 User Gallery

Loc: NE Great Lake Region
    #330634 - 12/13/09 08:55 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

You found it! I've been looking for that link for a while now. And yes PRIMUS SUCKS!!! The size filter showed in the link can handle the smell for a good amount of time. Just test it with your nose, and also if your fan sounds like it is straining to push, that could mean that the filter is wetter than it should be. You can check the humidity with the hygrometer.

--------------------

.........."And You Will Come to Find, that WE are ALL, ONE MIND.....
.....Capable of ALL that's IMAGINED, and ALL That's CONCIEVABLE.....

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

Re: Experienced with dirt only...?s for Hydros. [Re: jwes420]
    #340044 - 01/04/10 03:30 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I kind of figured this thread might not be dead.  Check this out!

That first pic is three 4ft shoplights for veg, and I rigged 9 3g pots for an ebb and flow with 8in net pots.  I had to use a lot of silicone, I'm still not done... Is it ok that the net pots sit atop the pots?  I believe it is light tight and a decent seal, I just don't wanna silicone that too.  Also,  The Maxijet600 is a VERY SMALL pump, has anyone used it? I really hope that it can pump to the pots, but I'm doubtful.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #340150 - 01/04/10 06:08 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

You don't need to silicone the net tops to the pot.  It's  be fine just sitting on there.  I haven't used the pump in question so can't help ya there.  Sorry.

--------------------

-niteowl

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds